**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Would you like to see changes to BG matchmaking?

ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
edited February 2023 in Suggestions and Requests
Lots of threads on this and different opinions, but let's get some quantitative data on the subject.

Would you like to see changes to BG matchmaking? 51 votes

No, it's perfect as is, don't change a thing
9%
MasterSmokeRaganator18sae56BocksaroxCoppin 5 votes
Yes, anyone in a tier (ie gold 2) should face anyone in that tier
56%
danielmathMr_PlatypusMagicBentonKeonexxNigQuikPikGarloBlueSmirnoffMoosetiptronicdjr17AleorIKONPikoluL0TUS_MANTISElthanOnePix3LBeanGreekhitIronman3000Thoye3 29 votes
Yes, only give me matches against those with similar rosters strength
17%
JP1119PointBreak400odishika123MasterzxProSearmenisNogood22UltragamerHalpyantiunitman 9 votes
Yes, something else needed or just a massive overhaul
15%
Scopeotoe987DJMNHBENNYJ_coloMordMasaraksh1Yodabolt21Chuck_Finley 8 votes
Post edited by Kabam Ahab on

Comments

• Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,524 ★★★★★
    Something is needed. I don't have an answer as to what because if it's based on roster similarity, you could be waiting a very long time for a match. Same bracket is probably the "fairest" way, but even then there will be a lot of mismatches, thus making it much more difficult to advance.

The best way to do it would be strength of BG deck. Even so, I have no idea if the coding for that could even be done.

A tier system similar to AW would be ok, but it would they would have to take at least 2 seasons worth of data to compile rankings etc... so not realistic IMO
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    FiiNCH said:

*sigh* here he goes again..

Ya, I know we don't really need another BG thread, but hear me out here. We got thousands of responses over dozens of posts on this subject. Cant make heads from tails on it anymore.

If we can get a little data on a more simple high level item (does it need adjustments?), then it might be able to help show an overall community feeling and hopefully actually get us some kind of input or response on the subject from Kabam other than the very generic one they did once (even though we have different feelings on how it should be).
  • FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★

FiiNCH said:

Ya, I know we don't really need another BG thread, but hear me out here. We got thousands of responses over dozens of posts on this subject. Cant make heads from tails on it anymore.

If we can get a little data on a more simple high level item (does it need adjustments?), then it might be able to help show an overall community feeling and hopefully actually get us some kind of input or response on the subject from Kabam other than the very generic one they did once (even though we have different feelings on how it should be).
    The problem is whatever data you capture here is in no way representative of the entire player base. I also don’t think there’s really a solution that will make every player happy. There’s always going to be somebody not happy.
    edited February 2023
    FiiNCH said:

FiiNCH said:

The problem is whatever data you capture here is in no way representative of the entire player base. I also don’t think there’s really a solution that will make every player happy. There’s always going to be somebody not happy.
    I can't disagree with that, but the same can be said about everything on forums (as well as beta testing and surveys they send out). It's pretty well known that Kabam sometimes just stays quiet on certain issues and hopes the complaints just go away (which sometimes works for them).

We already have tons of qualitative data in forums but unless someone actually sorts through it, it's too messy to have any real impact. I'm hoping a quantitative data source can at least show a very general overview of how a small sample group of players are feeling about this.
  • GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,809 ★★★★★
    FiiNCH said:

FiiNCH said:

Of course you can’t make anyone happy.
    First of all who will riot after any matchmaking change, are the lower UC accounts, which at this point they are already spoiled from the rewards they are overachieving from BGs for two seasons now.
    Change matchmaking to random, or tie the rewards proportional to matchmaking parameters.
    You can’t give away rewards to players that elude the competition.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I think the points have been made in other Threads. I realize I've been quite vocal, but we don't need to keep adding more.
  • I stopped playing BG due to the amount of issues with the mode itself. That being said, I feel the main issue is that a lot of the arguments I’ve seen is people saying they are going against people way out of their league. People take that as people complaining that they want easy matches to climb to the top. I don’t think that’s the problem. I don’t think people are saying they want all easy matches per say, but that they want people who around their same strength and skill set, which is easier said than done.

When I did so BG matches, I thought most if not all my matches seemed fair. If I had to suggest a system, I think people should be in their tiers, or similar to war. You climb that tier and face people and that tier and eventually you max out at what your current skill and roaster allows for. Both skill and roster are important in BG, and I can see definite issues if it’s set for people to only fight people around their level the whole time because that would lead to an easy road, but if you’re in gold or something, then you should be able to fight those opponents and rosters. If you start struggling and finding it hard to move then you found your peak and gotta work to surpass that.
  • Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,524 ★★★★★

I stopped playing BG due to the amount of issues with the mode itself. That being said, I feel the main issue is that a lot of the arguments I’ve seen is people saying they are going against people way out of their league. People take that as people complaining that they want easy matches to climb to the top. I don’t think that’s the problem. I don’t think people are saying they want all easy matches per say, but that they want people who around their same strength and skill set, which is easier said than done.

When I did so BG matches, I thought most if not all my matches seemed fair. If I had to suggest a system, I think people should be in their tiers, or similar to war. You climb that tier and face people and that tier and eventually you max out at what your current skill and roaster allows for. Both skill and roster are important in BG, and I can see definite issues if it’s set for people to only fight people around their level the whole time because that would lead to an easy road, but if you’re in gold or something, then you should be able to fight those opponents and rosters. If you start struggling and finding it hard to move then you found your peak and gotta work to surpass that.

Generally I tend to agree. But, my issue is that roster size is the biggest problem. I am Paragon with 12 r4. I am regularly going against full decks of r4. I enjoy the challenge. However, in these "nuke" metas, I and many others have no chance. I don't want easy matches, I want fair matches. When you are are already at a disadvantage based on the deck, then yo factor in the RNG of the draft, I have no chance in many of these matches. Some I do and win, some I do and mess up and lose, but 65% of the time, I lose by either 5 seconds or a small % of health. Now look at that from the perspective of others who might 1 or 2 r4. They are still being paired with accounts like mine, which is not fair for them either.

There is no easy answer or fix to matchmaking. I do feel that having the draft portion being reworked is the best way. Often times, whoever picks first has an advantage in my experience. It sets up the whole match in a sense. I firmly believe that both both player A and player B should pick defenders at the same time each round. They would be hidden until both players hit ready or the time runs out. Then you each get to pick your attacker (knowing who the defender is). I've thought of many solutions to even the filed out and think this is this simplest and most pain free way of doing it. Yes, this does eliminate a small portion of the strategy aspect of bgs, but I do believe it would make those mismatches more fair and give everyone a fighting chance at winning every match.

At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I think the points have been made in other Threads. I realize I've been quite vocal, but we don't need to keep adding more.

The problem is Kabams lack of response (one extremely vague response after numerous tags requesting some kind of acknowledgement). Kabam has made absolutely no indication that anything in any of the other threads has even been acknowledged (not even the vague response acknowledged anything stated in the threads).

It's easier to Ignore scattered discussions going around in circles in the other threads, but straight up numerical analysis can help define the perceived issues.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★

The problem is Kabams lack of response (one extremely vague response after numerous tags requesting some kind of acknowledgement). Kabam has made absolutely no indication that anything in any of the other threads has even been acknowledged (not even the vague response acknowledged anything stated in the threads).

It's easier to Ignore scattered discussions going around in circles in the other threads, but straight up numerical analysis can help define the perceived issues.
    They're not sitting here ignoring discussions. It's their job to read what goes on here. Persistently posting about issues is not going to elicit a response, and they've indicated as much.
  • Chuck_FinleyChuck_Finley Posts: 768 ★★★★
    Not sur

The only "fair" matchmaking is completely random. If low players want easier matches, then Kabam can make their own league for them.

Agree. Or install a weighted system for wins and losses with it being random so it’s not as penalizing. But you would have to rework how you move up, etc.

Either way - it just needs blown up.

• Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    edited February 2023

Not sur

The only "fair" matchmaking is completely random. If low players want easier matches, then Kabam can make their own league for them.

Agree. Or install a weighted system for wins and losses with it being random so it’s not as penalizing. But you would have to rework how you move up, etc.

Either way - it just needs blown up.

Yeah they could do with changing it to something like you need double the amount of points to go up a rank, but you get +2 for a win, -1 for a loss.
    If you get a streak going, it’s the same as it is currently in terms of matches to go up.
    But also allows people to hold a 50% win rate (which is what they seem to want with how they currently have matchmaking set up) and still move up the ranks, albeit very slowly.
  • CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    No, it's perfect as is, don't change a thing
    This game mode should have been gated to TB+