Unpopular Opinion: last BG meta was the best one by far

BigBusterBigBuster Member Posts: 292 ★★★
It was the only meta that actually required you to use some kind of strategy when building your deck/drafting.

Literally every other meta has just been: "Put in your top 30 champs. Nuke down every fight". These kinds of metas magnify the rank difference between champs and minimizes the importance of skill. All my opponents just nuke down my defenders with their r4 AA/CGR/Nimrod/etc.

Last meta was so much more nuanced, and it allowed you to really outplay your opponent.

And matchmaking is still messed up. I'd recommend Kabam do some kind of system similar to other games where there is a "variable season reset" instead of everyone starting back from Bronze. Then take away the whole prestige matchmaking system cuz it's wack.

Comments

• BigBusterBigBuster Member Posts: 292 ★★★
    Pikolu said:

I personally preferred the season 2 meta with rich get richer because it was a good balance of strategy and nuke.

That was a solid one as well.

The thing I loved abt season 3 was seeing all the scrubs with 20+ r4s die to my 5* defenders lol. Goes to show how much skill actually matters in this game. It's become more procedural (AQ/Arena) and transactional (Cyber Weekend/July 4th/etc.)
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★
    IDK if it's the meta or the matchmaking that has made this season a disaster. Last season was much more RNG based due to the harder meta, which I don't love.
  • RealWizardRealWizard Member Posts: 91
    It was the best one to build a strategy for. It was so different than the other metas that you can’t just put your top 30 in.
  • Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Member Posts: 2,592 ★★★★★
    Totally agree. This one is a nuke fest. It's much more about roster than strategy and skill.

The problem, like Cat said, it's really hard to make nodes that are "equal" for all levels. The last one was somewhat fair, but if you didn't have 5 or 6 certain champs you pretty much screwed. Then of course the aspect of the random draws and order etc.... it's not easy to create a fair game mode for multiple levels of progression and roster size/strength.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Member Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Agreed. Loved last VT
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Member Posts: 4,903 ★★★★★
    Last meta everyone had the same strategy and deck. It got boring quickly and depended upon luck of the draw.
  • FiiNCHFiiNCH Member Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    Agreed OP - last season for me was far more enjoyable than this meta.
  • Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Member Posts: 1,709 ★★★★
    As hard and annoying last meta was it was a real challenge. The current meta is like everyone says, who can nuke the fastest wins.
  • rcm2017rcm2017 Member Posts: 596 ★★★
    I climbed the highest last season till diamond 2. Wow!!! So I liked it. At the start it felt very restrictive but once i got the hang of it, i enjoyed it.
  • GarloGarlo Member Posts: 243 ★★
    Agree, the last meta was the best of all seasons. Only players with poor knowledge of the game/mechanics/champs and small accounts could be disagree.
  • BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Member Posts: 2,299 ★★★★★
    Agree
  • phillgreenphillgreen Member Posts: 3,972 ★★★★★
    I hated last season until I figured out how to play around the node. The node also made some very mediocre champs viable.

• AMS94AMS94 Member Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★
    While I enjoyed it the most out of all victory track metas, but it was that way for only a very small percentage of players (including me), & that fact is what keeps it from being considered the "best" meta IMO

Just bcoz I enjoyed it doesn't mean I can't see the problem associated with having such metas for the victory track

BGs is not some progression based content.....victory track is something that everyone has to play whether Paragon or Conqueror & that's why having such metas before GC is not ideal IMO

Competition should be in terms of skill, knowledge, adaptability & roster strength but gatekeeping a major proportion of the player base just bcoz of the node design is probably not as "fair" as having unenjoyable nuke metas

It was highly enjoyable for some of us but almost unplayable for many
  • L1zardW1zardL1zardW1zard Member Posts: 144 ★★★
    I don't think this opinion is as unpopular as you think tbh. Last meta was my favorite too for the exact same reasons you mentioned.
    It was hilarious watching people draft and attack with Herc and Ghost and lose against me attacking with Annihilus and Vulture lol. I realized I love metas were people have to use extremely niche champs over the same powerhouses everyone uses all the time. I hope they keep giving us metas like that one honestly, it was so much fun.
  • DJMNHDJMNH Member Posts: 723 ★★★
    Incomparision to this month BG, last month was better and fun, even though it was more dedicated roster based. This month match making is little weird especially for my new account where iam getting pit against paragon and iam just cavalier from my other account.
  • DeadmaddyDeadmaddy Member Posts: 123
    I feel the same. Enjoyed the last Meta
  • OmedennOmedenn Member Posts: 890 ★★★
    Fifa ultimate team has decent match making