BG matchmaking encourages not leveling your roster

TruthseekerTruthseeker Member Posts: 333 ★★
edited March 2023 in General Discussion
With upcoming solutions for ,,uneven matchmaking" as kabam mike pointed out in his recent comments makes me question why rank up champs at all? Especially for prestige.
Example being carinas NIGHTMARE challenges just to get rank 5 and have higher average power and get much much harder matchups making it harder to climb to glad circuit while a decent player on a ,,very weak" account can outrun me?
I can do and did all content with rank 3-4. Why get rank 5 at all? I mean before most of the game does? Why be the fast guy keeping up with games progress if you are penalized in matchmaking for it? And why weak accounts should get a pass/easy time while doing 1/10 of the amount of time and money i invested?

P.s i will be super respectful just dont close this post too... i have been really thinking about this since the start of BG and would be Very very happy to get an answer.

Comments

• VydraVydra Member Posts: 125 ★★
    I don’t have a r5 but I love facing stronger accounts than mine to climb up GC ranks. That’s how it works right? Higher you climb, the stiffer the competition is…

Maybe, just maybe - having done all content and having a R5 doesn’t mean you’re entitled a free pass in Mysterium or Celestial. Drafting, skill, roster, knowledge, strategies go a long way in GC and ensuring a high enough spot. Your efforts in nightmarish contents is irrelevant

And yes I love dropping one liners on posts like the one you had got deleted🫢
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,416 ★★★★★
    I want to rank and level up champs for the whole of the contest. BG matchmaking is one small part of the game. I like to enjoy playing this game, so if I pull a champ I like I will try to max their rank so I can get the most of out them. Some of us need to extra ranks and levels to do tough content.

You are free to forge your own path. Not everyone cares about the BG leaderboard or getting the top rewards. Others are hyper-focused on it.
    Not some of the commenters taking OP’s words out of context to fit their agendas.

Nowhere does OP mention anything about Victory Track but he mentions how it’s difficult for him to climb up Gladiator Circuit.

GC is running the way it should be. I match a mix of “weak”, equally matched and muchhh stronger accounts in GC - the expectation of OP is to completely avoid similarly matched and stronger accounts but bulldoze on “weak” accounts so he can secure a high rank - not how competition works in GC

Vydra said:

Not some of the commenters taking OP’s words out of context to fit their agendas.

Nowhere does OP mention anything about Victory Track but he mentions how it’s difficult for him to climb up Gladiator Circuit.

GC is running the way it should be. I match a mix of “weak”, equally matched and muchhh stronger accounts in GC - the expectation of OP is to completely avoid similarly matched and stronger accounts but bulldoze on “weak” accounts so he can secure a high rank - not how competition works in GC

Climb TO not UP gladiators circuit. Thats a first.

I mostly focused my post on victory track but lets talk about gladiators circuit. There are TONS of accounts there that should never have a chance of being there. I refuse to belive anyone is skilled enough to beat paragon accounts and reach like 150-200 points in glad circuit with a full roster of 5* champs. Only reason they are there is because they were MOSTLY getting matchmaking AVOIDING paragons on the way. In the rare times they did get paragon they probably gave up or lost as it should be but than got 10 easy matches in a row

I’m also referring to your previous post that got deleted lol. I know where you’re coming from. And I’m responding since you wanted my take.

150-200 points would’ve meant they landed Quantum last season. How many of such accounts were there in those positions? Because I’ve been looking at the leaderboards for such anomalies and I’ll have to disagree. Maybe in the initial weeks, you’ll have such accounts but they are usually bumped down after awhile.

Also we can’t rule out they’re up there due to other reasons

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,498 ★★★★★

Vydra said:

Whoever is the closest to me in matchmaking be it victory track or by points in glad circuit should get me in matchup. There needs to be NO FILTERS with ONLY factor being your rank or points. The NATURE, the law of the jungle will sort itself out. I want to climb up the ranks easily to the point it becomes harder and harder untill eventually i get to a place where people have both skill and roster higher than me so i can just stop and rest. I dont want my path to be harder than it needs to be. I earned my right to slice through noob accounts like butter on my way to a good gladiator circuit spot.

Did i mention there are accounts much stronger than me? Almost to the point its easier to quit than try and beat their full deck of rank 4-5?
    Am i saying i should be treated any differantly? No! If i have 40 points and the biggest account has
    38-42 points why should i be helped by a system to avoid him and get easy match instead? He has 40 i have 40. I have no chance BUT LETS GO!!!! He is in the same spot as me. Lets see if i deserve to be here like him. Simple and easy.
    You earned your right to Fights with UC Accounts that have no chance at all? Riiiiiiigh.
  • TruthseekerTruthseeker Member Posts: 333 ★★
    Vydra said:

Vydra said:

I mostly focused my post on victory track but lets talk about gladiators circuit. There are TONS of accounts there that should never have a chance of being there. I refuse to belive anyone is skilled enough to beat paragon accounts and reach like 150-200 points in glad circuit with a full roster of 5* champs. Only reason they are there is because they were MOSTLY getting matchmaking AVOIDING paragons on the way. In the rare times they did get paragon they probably gave up or lost as it should be but than got 10 easy matches in a row

I’m also referring to your previous post that got deleted lol. I know where you’re coming from. And I’m responding since you wanted my take.

150-200 points would’ve meant they landed Quantum last season. How many of such accounts were there in those positions? Because I’ve been looking at the leaderboards for such anomalies and I’ll have to disagree. Maybe in the initial weeks, you’ll have such accounts but they are usually bumped down after awhile.

Yeah ,,other reasons" is simply a topic that doesnt need more discussion. We are all tired of it.

I just thought to myself that i made everything too complicated and made argument mistakes. I just wanted others to know where its coming from. So the last question is this.

Do you see anything wrong with matchmaking that works ONLY based on points and placing (be it victory track or circuit) meaning the closest person by points and rank will be selected for you?
    If no what factors you would add in? (Even prestige can remain only if it is weighted as a smaller factor not a deciding one. That is important as well)

Vydra said:

Whoever is the closest to me in matchmaking be it victory track or by points in glad circuit should get me in matchup. There needs to be NO FILTERS with ONLY factor being your rank or points. The NATURE, the law of the jungle will sort itself out. I want to climb up the ranks easily to the point it becomes harder and harder untill eventually i get to a place where people have both skill and roster higher than me so i can just stop and rest. I dont want my path to be harder than it needs to be. I earned my right to slice through noob accounts like butter on my way to a good gladiator circuit spot.

Did i mention there are accounts much stronger than me? Almost to the point its easier to quit than try and beat their full deck of rank 4-5?
    Am i saying i should be treated any differantly? No! If i have 40 points and the biggest account has
    38-42 points why should i be helped by a system to avoid him and get easy match instead? He has 40 i have 40. I have no chance BUT LETS GO!!!! He is in the same spot as me. Lets see if i deserve to be here like him. Simple and easy.
    “I want to climb up the ranks easily”

“I earned my right to slice through noob accounts like butter on my way to a good gladiator circuit spot”

Those “noob accounts” will probably tell you the same thing. That they also earned their right to climb ranks easily by beating up on even smaller “noob accounts”.

But I definitely agree with you that the climb to the top gets progressively harder. Should be the way whether it’s in VT or GC. At some point you plateau because it’s your equilibrium

Vydra said:

Vydra said:

Yeah ,,other reasons" is simply a topic that doesnt need more discussion. We are all tired of it.

I just thought to myself that i made everything too complicated and made argument mistakes. I just wanted others to know where its coming from. So the last question is this.

Do you see anything wrong with matchmaking that works ONLY based on points and placing (be it victory track or circuit) meaning the closest person by points and rank will be selected for you?
    If no what factors you would add in? (Even prestige can remain only if it is weighted as a smaller factor not a deciding one. That is important as well)
    I’m a fan of players starting off in higher ranks in Victory Track. It only makes sense. The “stronger players” face off each other in say Gold1 and the rest are started off in lower tiers. I think Kabam Miike acknowledged this already and said it’s something they’re looking into.

As for matchmaking in VT, it’s a slippery slope. I wouldn’t mind separate leagues because there’s just too much disagreement on this topic and personally don’t see a solution that satisfies all groups of players

For GC? Make it ratings based. Simple as that. No other matchmaking criteria. It works the same as AW. You face a range of account sizes. Higher you go, the more similar levelled players you match
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,408 ★★★★
    For Battlegrounds, you need to:
    (1) Rank champions to keep up with the competition to maintain your level of competition.
    (2) Not rank up, hope that your competition ranks up so that you drop in the level of competition.
    (3) Not play

If you choose option #2, then you'll feel like you can comfortably obtain more rewards to .... rank up your champions, which will feed back into option #1.

I understand your frustration, and BGs can certainly be improved in a ton of different aspects (most important of which is solving for the feeling of unfairness across the different Progression levels).

But, you should also consider that BGs is ultimately an endless sprint to just stay in place. Whether you don't rank champions so you can beat up on Uncollected or you choose to rank up champions and can't progress, you are ultimately still trapped in the same place.
    Vydra said:

Vydra said:

Vydra said:

I’m a fan of players starting off in higher ranks in Victory Track. It only makes sense. The “stronger players” face off each other in say Gold1 and the rest are started off in lower tiers. I think Kabam Miike acknowledged this already and said it’s something they’re looking into.

As for matchmaking in VT, it’s a slippery slope. I wouldn’t mind separate leagues because there’s just too much disagreement on this topic and personally don’t see a solution that satisfies all groups of players

For GC? Make it ratings based. Simple as that. No other matchmaking criteria. It works the same as AW. You face a range of account sizes. Higher you go, the more similar levelled players you match
    Yeap agreement on everything it is. GC only points and VT different leagues or starting higher. Its just that only points solution is easy to implement while i havent seen any EXACT ideas on how to actually implement different leagues or starting higher but i am sure it can be done via copying other game systems or sports systems for that matter.

Vydra said:

Vydra said:

Vydra said:

Yeap agreement on everything it is. GC only points and VT different leagues or starting higher. Its just that only points solution is easy to implement while i havent seen any EXACT ideas on how to actually implement different leagues or starting higher but i am sure it can be done via copying other game systems or sports systems for that matter.
    Glad we are finally finding some common ground LOL. And yes, I’ve been saying it on and off this platform that BGs could use some inspiration from other games to implement a suitable system
    altavista said:

For Battlegrounds, you need to:
    (1) Rank champions to keep up with the competition to maintain your level of competition.
    (2) Not rank up, hope that your competition ranks up so that you drop in the level of competition.
    (3) Not play

If you choose option #2, then you'll feel like you can comfortably obtain more rewards to .... rank up your champions, which will feed back into option #1.

I understand your frustration, and BGs can certainly be improved in a ton of different aspects (most important of which is solving for the feeling of unfairness across the different Progression levels).

But, you should also consider that BGs is ultimately an endless sprint to just stay in place. Whether you don't rank champions so you can beat up on Uncollected or you choose to rank up champions and can't progress, you are ultimately still trapped in the same place.

You also do have a point. My honest strategy is to climb to gc to certain ammount of points where i usually cap out on skill or roster or both. I just want to be able to reach my max faster, meaning if there are smaller accounts on my way trying to do the same, they shouldnt be able to avoid me and it should take them much longer than me to reach same spot.
    Right now people on tiny alt accounts climb to GC faster than me and just farm (saving VT rewards each month) 150 000 fragments wich they will spend when they jump to paragon.
  • BazzingaaaBazzingaaa Member Posts: 357 ★★★
    I've just specifically ranked up King Pin for battlegrounds
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★

He's one of the lowest prestige champs who's also really good so that's not a great example.
  • BazzingaaaBazzingaaa Member Posts: 357 ★★★

He's one of the lowest prestige champs who's also really good so that's not a great example.
    Prestige makes no difference to me, I only have 5 R3 6*, the rest are r5 5*
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★

Prestige makes no difference to me, I only have 5 R3 6*, the rest are r5 5*
    Prestige matters to matchmaking, so it doesn't really matter if you like it or not. Ranking KP is a great way to increase your deck with little fear of jumping into the next tier of matchmaking.
  • _Pez__Pez_ Member Posts: 247 ★★★
    What are you trying to achieve in this game if not to grow account in terms of roster depth and strength?

If you just refuse to grow your account anymore then the point of the game is kind of defeated

If smaller accounts do get some benefit from being smaller and easier matchmaking, then it only benefits them until they actually start growing the account which they have to do eventually otherwise what is the point of any of it.

Saying that, hopefully we do see random matchmaking/an improved system soon
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,361 Guardian

With upcoming solutions for ,,uneven matchmaking" as kabam mike pointed out in his recent comments makes me question why rank up champs at all? Especially for prestige.
    Example being carinas NIGHTMARE challenges just to get rank 5 and have higher average power and get much much harder matchups making it harder to climb to glad circuit while a decent player on a ,,very weak" account can outrun me?
    I can do and did all content with rank 3-4. Why get rank 5 at all? I mean before most of the game does? Why be the fast guy keeping up with games progress if you are penalized in matchmaking for it? And why weak accounts should get a pass/easy time while doing 1/10 of the amount of time and money i invested?

Because it probably won't hurt.

There's a lot of either misinformation or errant thinking going on surrounding the match maker issues. People are vastly oversimplifying to "why rank" thinking that *everyone* who ranks up champs is at a disadvantage. But that can't possibly be true.

First of all, if you are one of the top tier roster players, and if you're contemplating how many R5s to make then rank ups are unlikely to hurt you. The logic of not ranking up is that in theory the game can cause you to match against even stronger rosters than you. But if you have a roster full of R3s and R4s and contemplating R5s, who is that exactly? Most of the players with one or more R5s are probably heading into GC ahead of you, which means you won't see them past week two. You can't match against stronger rosters if there are no stronger rosters.

It is the *lower* roster players that *might* get penalized for ranking up. They have theoretically higher opponents they could match against. But even there, it is a bit of a **** shoot. You might rank up and find yourself in the middle of a bunch of stronger roster players that will kill you. Or you might find yourself in the middle of a bunch of stronger rosters who don't play very well, which is why they are still stuck in Silver.

And because the game is not matching on prestige (it is matching on some roster strength metric, but that metric is *definitely* not prestige: my match data pretty conclusively rules that out) ranking up just one or two champs will not make your roster look significantly "stronger." If the game was using prestige, one champ can make your prestige significantly higher because that's one out of five. But if the game is looking at your top thirty or forty champs like many of us believe, then one or two champs will only have a tiny affect on your overall roster strength, because one or two out of thirty won't change the numbers much.

What matters is how much the rank up helps vs how much it "hurts." If a champ is a block buster BG champ, it will generate more wins than the tiny amount of upward pressure it will place on your overall roster strength. Not ranking those champs is actually hurting you in the long run because not ranking keeps your roster like 1% weaker, but costs you maybe 10% more wins. That's a bad tradeoff.

HIgh roster strength players should probably just ignore the match maker and rank reasonably strong BG champs (if BG is your thing). Medium and lower strength roster players should probably focus on the absolute best BG champs they can rank and see how it goes. Beyond that, it is very difficult to predict how rank ups will affect your BG progress. It could help, it could hurt. There's unfortunately no way to know for certain.

• InsaneSkullInsaneSkull Member Posts: 327 ★★
    I see, one more kabam knight account is created to defend as all old ones are exposed. :unamused:
    DNA3000 said:

Because it probably won't hurt.

There's a lot of either misinformation or errant thinking going on surrounding the match maker issues. People are vastly oversimplifying to "why rank" thinking that *everyone* who ranks up champs is at a disadvantage. But that can't possibly be true.

First of all, if you are one of the top tier roster players, and if you're contemplating how many R5s to make then rank ups are unlikely to hurt you. The logic of not ranking up is that in theory the game can cause you to match against even stronger rosters than you. But if you have a roster full of R3s and R4s and contemplating R5s, who is that exactly? Most of the players with one or more R5s are probably heading into GC ahead of you, which means you won't see them past week two. You can't match against stronger rosters if there are no stronger rosters.

It is the *lower* roster players that *might* get penalized for ranking up. They have theoretically higher opponents they could match against. But even there, it is a bit of a **** shoot. You might rank up and find yourself in the middle of a bunch of stronger roster players that will kill you. Or you might find yourself in the middle of a bunch of stronger rosters who don't play very well, which is why they are still stuck in Silver.

And because the game is not matching on prestige (it is matching on some roster strength metric, but that metric is *definitely* not prestige: my match data pretty conclusively rules that out) ranking up just one or two champs will not make your roster look significantly "stronger." If the game was using prestige, one champ can make your prestige significantly higher because that's one out of five. But if the game is looking at your top thirty or forty champs like many of us believe, then one or two champs will only have a tiny affect on your overall roster strength, because one or two out of thirty won't change the numbers much.

What matters is how much the rank up helps vs how much it "hurts." If a champ is a block buster BG champ, it will generate more wins than the tiny amount of upward pressure it will place on your overall roster strength. Not ranking those champs is actually hurting you in the long run because not ranking keeps your roster like 1% weaker, but costs you maybe 10% more wins. That's a bad tradeoff.

HIgh roster strength players should probably just ignore the match maker and rank reasonably strong BG champs (if BG is your thing). Medium and lower strength roster players should probably focus on the absolute best BG champs they can rank and see how it goes. Beyond that, it is very difficult to predict how rank ups will affect your BG progress. It could help, it could hurt. There's unfortunately no way to know for certain.

Thanks for the input. What would you say about a matchmaking that takes CURRENT RANK OR PLACEMENT as the ONLY metric. You match up who is next to you. Like the ultimate law of the jungle?
  • legalactionlegalaction Member Posts: 182 ★★

P.s i will be super respectful just dont close this post too... i have been really thinking about this since the start of BG and would be Very very happy to get an answer.

You can't limit your rank ups solely based on one game mode.

And one game cannot be your sole mode to get rewards from
  • legalactionlegalaction Member Posts: 182 ★★

I want to rank and level up champs for the whole of the contest. BG matchmaking is one small part of the game. I like to enjoy playing this game, so if I pull a champ I like I will try to max their rank so I can get the most of out them. Some of us need to extra ranks and levels to do tough content.

You are free to forge your own path. Not everyone cares about the BG leaderboard or getting the top rewards. Others are hyper-focused on it.

Wow, I actually agree with you here.