Should T6CC be prioritized on 7 star champs?

PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,393 ★★★★★
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
Because of r5 gems being an option to rank 6 stars

So I know the first thought that comes to mind is that we only saw the R5 gems in offers. However, due to the july offers completely changing the economy of the game and furthering the divide between the spenders and nonspenders to the largest its ever been, I suspect we may see R5 gems this year. Possibly in 8.3 exploration rewards or some other form of content. Nevertheless, although its still not clear when, one things for certain, that we will see them far before we'll ever see a rank 2 gem for a 7 star.

Because of the addition of r5 gems, I am under the impression, that it may be wise to select T6CC selectors based off of 7 stars. Sure it may be a while to obtain the gem for the specific class needed, but on the contrary, if you ended up using the t6cc to r5 for a given class, and then obtained an r5 gem for that same class, then you may end up regretting it. Sure you can just double dip from a class, but if you're like me and your focus is primarily on BG's, having your options spread across multiple classes could be advantageous (on a side note: let's hope that the Kabam interview this coming Friday on their upcoming planned changes for AQ/AW steers the game in a direction where 90% of the rewards aren't solely from BG's).

Originally I was planning on r5ing champs like Hulkling, KP, Future Antman etc for BG's, but after seeing how OP some of these 7 stars are on attack such as Bishop, Hulk, Mantis, Sunspot, Shuri, Venom, Gamora, Titania, and America Chavez, I've got to say I'm impressed.

Does anyone else agree that one should prioritize the use of t6cc on 7 stars and save the 6 stars for r5 gems? Curious what your thoughts are

Should T6CC be prioritized on 7 star champs? 78 votes

Yes, I believe t6cc should be prioritized on 7 stars (because of the R5 gem argument)
52%
MasterSmokeDrZolaJazz_MessengerFrankWhiteIceBobbySw0rdMasterCassyUnobtainiumClawsLiquidkoldCyborg17dzikidzikRabarberstengelRockyshockyIvarTheBonelessDenslo500_Sham_HungaryHippoIronman3000PolygonxLunatiXx 41 votes
No, I would still use t6cc to r5 a champ like Hulkling over r2 Venom , Future Antman over r2 Shuri, Scorp over r2 Hulk etc
47%
DL864zuffyVegeta9001Cat_MurdockpseudosaneanggafkCr7ms7rs7Kappa2gNormax_XVedantMehtaistwan17RebarkGiantwalrus56BeastDadChiliDog[Deleted User]DrauglinFerahgomagnus_xixJack2634 37 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★★★
    No, I would still use t6cc to r5 a champ like Hulkling over r2 Venom , Future Antman over r2 Shuri, Scorp over r2 Hulk etc
    Until we see a rank 5 gem obtainable by anything other than units or cash, 6*s are still worth the cats imo
  • PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,393 ★★★★★
    Yes, I believe t6cc should be prioritized on 7 stars (because of the R5 gem argument)
    xLunatiXx said:

If you're f2p and want to reach the next progression title asap I'd keep them for 7 stars

Wow I completely forgot about this, this essentially hits the nail on the head for the nonspenders to be using t6cc on 7 stars...
  • KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Member Posts: 950 ★★★

Until we see a rank 5 gem obtainable by anything other than units or cash, 6*s are still worth the cats imo

Carinas:
  • BeastDadBeastDad Member Posts: 1,806 ★★★★★
    There are only a handful of the new basic pool I would bother taking to R2 at the moment.
  • Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Member Posts: 1,703 ★★★★★
    Dont forget acension will be coming eventually... Maybe...
  • pseudosanepseudosane Member, Guardian Posts: 3,954 Guardian
    r5 6* still totally worth it.
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 919 ★★★★
    Depends on the champ. I'm of the opinion that only take champs to 6r5 if we will never or quickly see them as 7*.

Do people who have 5r5 Doom still use him? Do you use any of your 5r5 that you have at 6*?
  • ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,896 ★★★★★
    I won't personally save my resources for 7*s if I have 6*s I want to rank up. There are a few 7*s that I admit have seemed very impressive in videos I've seen, but I'm not going to hold off from ranking up 6* Hercules just because I could pull a 7* Gamora, or 6* Kitty because I could pull a 7* Bishop. I think my account will benefit more from several r5 champions than a few r2s.

Futureproofing your roster for the next progression title is a valid idea, but I personally don't think that the next progression title will require X amount of r2 7* champions. My guess is that it'll require X amount of r3 7* champions, and by that time, I assume that r5/r2 resources have become plentiful enough that you don't have to worry that you ranked up your 6* champions now instead of your 7*s.

This is not to say that I'm staunchly against ranking up 7*s. I've seen some incredible videos showcasing them, and if I pull a champion that's worthy of ranking up and who doesn't need their sigs (at least at a high value), then I may very well rank them up. But I won't go out of my way to rank them up ahead of my 6* roster.
  • A_FungiA_Fungi Member Posts: 995 ★★★★
    As someone else said, the next progression level will likely involve r2 7s and not r5 6s. I have 4 r5s right now. But all resources will start going toward 7 stars now for that reason.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Member Posts: 3,104 ★★★★★
    Think about it this way, since these catalysts are used for both 7r2 and 6r5, and selectors are not totally uncommon:

Would you rather use 12 t6cc taking 3 7-stars to r2, or your best 4 6-stars to r5?

Your 6-stars get a massive 2000 attack boost in story mode. 7-stars get nothing right now.

Your six stars are easily at sig 200 or whatever appropriate sig for that champ, thanks to July 4 and the BG store.

You have more champs to choose from if you rank 6-stars, and more champs actually get ranked. This gives you greater roster variety.

7-stars have more attack and HP, and might get awakened. They might eventually even go to r3.

I’ve taken 3 6-stars to r5 this week: Nick, Rintrah, and Herc.

The 7-stars I have: Sauron, Gambit, Spider Gwen, War Machine, Gamora, and Surfer. I enjoy Gamora a lot, but Herc, Hulkling, Galan and CGR have an astonishing amount to offer in utility that she can’t compensate for IMO.
  • LpooLpoo Member Posts: 2,215 ★★★★★

I really hope we hear something on this soon. It would totally shift our perspective on rank ups and our focus moving forward
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Member Posts: 4,938 ★★★★★
    edited July 2023
    TyEdge said:

Think about it this way, since these catalysts are used for both 7r2 and 6r5, and selectors are not totally uncommon:

Would you rather use 12 t6cc taking 3 7-stars to r2, or your best 4 6-stars to r5?

Your 6-stars get a massive 2000 attack boost in story mode. 7-stars get nothing right now.

Your six stars are easily at sig 200 or whatever appropriate sig for that champ, thanks to July 4 and the BG store.

You have more champs to choose from if you rank 6-stars, and more champs actually get ranked. This gives you greater roster variety.

7-stars have more attack and HP, and might get awakened. They might eventually even go to r3.

The 7-stars I have: Sauron, Gambit, Spider Gwen, War Machine, Gamora, and Surfer. I enjoy Gamora a lot, but Herc, Hulkling, Galan and CGR have an astonishing amount to offer in utility that she can’t compensate for IMO.

7* get a bonus from 800 - 2800 attack boost in story. Won’t reach the 2k level of a 6* for some time, but the bonus is there.
  • ChobblyChobbly Member Posts: 938 ★★★★

I hope Ascension is something that affects rosters and rank up decisions so much it changes the Contest forever.

Yes, I know I'm going to be disappointed, lol.
    Damn the polls pretty close, figured it would be more skewed to 6r5 being the popular choice since it hasn’t been long since 7 stars have been released. Those picking 7 stars r2 are thinking ahead for the future, which could explain the more even distribution. That and the next progression title thing
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,979 ★★★★★
    edited July 2023
    The existence and even split of this poll underscores the need to get some concrete details on Ascension soon.

Dr. Zola
    BeastDad said:

There are only a handful of the new basic pool I would bother taking to R2 at the moment.

@BeastDad Curious, which ones?
    TyEdge said:

@TyEdge

I’m in a similar boat as I have a 6* r4 Future Antman and a 7* r1 Shuri. Sure, antman has a ton more utility than her and arguably would benefit more at the r5.

However one thing you have to keep in mind is that 7 stars being so tanky and powerful have a clear cut advantage in Battlegrounds which, lets be honest here, is the only relevant content for rewards at the moment. Hopefully the interview tomorrow shows Kabam seeks to changes AQ/AW and their vastly obsolete reward structure.
  • BeastDadBeastDad Member Posts: 1,806 ★★★★★
    Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

OG hulk, bishop, domino, Wiccan, shuri

There are others, but they are dupe dependent.
    edited July 2023
    BeastDad said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Dominos an interesting one because the way things are now she’d be very good with her crit bleeds but once 6*’s begin to phase out of the picture, and shes matched against more 7*’s on defense she won’t be crit bleeding as much and will be primarily for defense purposes (analogous to the 6 star version currently)

But overall I agree with your list , might add Chavez, Titania , or Venom/Gamora as well
  • Hector_1475Hector_1475 Member Posts: 1,794 ★★★★★
    Not quite sure gow I will go about it in the future. I am a Paragon but I have no 6R5 yet (by choice) and I'm still focusing on developing my 6R4 roster.

But I will add to the discussion, that from my present 7* roster, the following champions seem totally 7R2-worthy, even unduped:

Bishop, Domino
    Chavez, Sasquatch
    Elsa

And it's debatable on Overseer & Silver Surfer.
    Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Dominos an interesting one because the way things are now she’d be very good with her crit bleeds but once 6*’s begin to phase out of the picture, and shes matched against more 7*’s on defense she won’t be crit bleeding as much and will be primarily for defense purposes (analogous to the 6 star version currently)

But overall I agree with your list , might add Chavez, Titania , or Venom/Gamora as well
    I’m facing this very question…likely able to R2 three different 7*’s, all of which are on the worthy side.

Thoughts on awakened KM, unawakened Venom or Gamora and unawakened Chavez?

Dr. Zola
  • I_tell_no_tales_1I_tell_no_tales_1 Member Posts: 1,198 ★★★★
    6* R5 gems are still very rare and even if carina's challenges give R5 gems, the current 7*s are not more powerful or comparable to the likes of Herc and Aegon in those level of long contents

7*s still need to be more diverse
    But I am not the best advisor for this... I let 1 t6basic and 1 t3 alpha expire
    DrZola said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

I’m facing this very question…likely able to R2 three different 7*’s, all of which are on the worthy side.

Dr. Zola
    Don’t know how important the dupe is for chavez, but she’s definitely one of the top champs from the pool and easily the top mystic. Serves as a dual threat and great for AW /Carinas v3 etc

I would personally skip on KM.

Venom vs Gamora is a little tough. Both are good. Venom has more utilty, but im not entirely sure which is faster on offense in BGs. I havent played Gamora, are you capable of managing her buffs?

Here are 2 screenshots from different alliance members of mine. Both gamora and venom are r2 here.

Nevertheless, this kind of speed in a BGs match would make me definitely r2 at the very least one of them. Probably also convince me to r2 them over r5ing the likes of Herc or Hulkling.

• Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Member Posts: 3,550 ★★★★★
    Polygon said:

DrZola said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Dr. Zola
    Don’t know how important the dupe is for chavez, but she’s definitely one of the top champs from the pool and easily the top mystic. Serves as a dual threat and great for AW /Carinas v3 etc

Venom vs Gamora is a little tough. Both are good. Venom has more utilty, but im not entirely sure which is faster on offense in BGs. I havent played Gamora, are you capable of managing her buffs?

Here are 2 screenshots from different alliance members of mine. Both gamora and venom are r2 here.

Nevertheless, this kind of speed in a BGs match would make me definitely r2 at the very least one of them. Probably also convince me to r2 them over r5ing the likes of Herc or Hulkling.

That hulkling fight doesn't seem right

Polygon said:

DrZola said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

Dr. Zola

That hulkling fight doesn't seem right
    Lots of buffs to OmNom, lots of bleed. If I’m going cosmic, I’m tempted to do Venom because (a) never ranked the 6* and (b) more utility in my opinion.

Dr. Zola
  • SquammoSquammo Member Posts: 526 ★★★
    DrZola said:

The existence and even split of this poll underscores the need to get some concrete details on Ascension soon.

Dr. Zola

I have 3 7 stars. 2 of them cosmic. Venom the duck, whom I unfortunately duped in my 4th crystal and Gamora. I’m certainly not ranking up the duck, but Gamora is tempting, although Galan, Herc or a Hulkling seem like the obviously better choice. For now I’ll just wait a little and decide later on.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Member Posts: 3,104 ★★★★★
    edited July 2023
    Polygon said:

BeastDad said:

TyEdge said:

@TyEdge

I’m in a similar boat as I have a 6* r4 Future Antman and a 7* r1 Shuri. Sure, antman has a ton more utility than her and arguably would benefit more at the r5.

However one thing you have to keep in mind is that 7 stars being so tanky and powerful have a clear cut advantage in Battlegrounds which, lets be honest here, is the only relevant content for rewards at the moment. Hopefully the interview tomorrow shows Kabam seeks to changes AQ/AW and their vastly obsolete reward structure.
    They just changed the scoring to reduce the value of the timer. Especially for regular players where dupes are hard to come by for 6-stars, that’s a tough equation to solve.

Compare a 6r5/200 domino, KM, or korg to a 7-star equivalent. A 7r2 domino has to be around sig 150 to match crit fail damage. Even at sig 40, it’s 40% of the 6-star’s damage.

In metas that don’t restrict DOT or special damage, is more block damage and HP gonna meaningfully offset that?

Because BG requires a deck of 30 every season and you have no guarantee that a champ gets drawn (and the champ can even be banned) concentrating your t6cc into 7-stars also creates more matches where you get to use none of them.

If you use 24 catalysts on 6 7-stars, but I max out 8 6-stars, I can ban half of your ranked champs and there’s an 88.9% chance you get none in a 5-card draw. That number is 81.5% for me, which across 3 5-card draws and a 3-card draw adds up.