Kabam isn’t done fixing the mythic crystal mistake

2»

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,498 ★★★★★
    OKAYGang said:

Armed07 said:

So they get the rewards they earned using all the extra champs in BG?

Yes but our champs from the mythic crystals that were left will still be taken. For me and a lot of other summoners that took advantage of the exploit, those champs didn’t impact our score much
    I didn't take advantage but this is not an exploit it's a bug (code mistake by a developer on Kabam's payroll) and 100% Kabam's fault. You all didn't modify any code or bypass any security controls to gain access to those crystals which would be the definition of an exploit in IT terms anyways
    They were handed to you by Kabam. Personally you all should have been allowed to keep them and the account suspensions are complete bs, this was 100% Kabam's mistake. No malicious actions had to occur for you to gain access to the crystals. It's no different than if you found money on the ground in a crowded public place. It's not theft for picking it up and putting it in your pocket.
    If the bank leaves the door unlocked, the alarm off, and the vault open, it's still theft if someone walks in and takes the money.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,858 ★★★★★
    OKAYGang said:

Armed07 said:

Yes but our champs from the mythic crystals that were left will still be taken. For me and a lot of other summoners that took advantage of the exploit, those champs didn’t impact our score much
    ... It's no different than if you found money on the ground in a crowded public place. It's not theft for picking it up and putting it in your pocket.
    Well, that's still theft - it's called "Theft by Finding" in most countries. And there is a degree of proportionality to it.

Let's say you find 50 cents on the ground - most people would hardly criticise you for just putting it in your pocket

Let's say you find a $50 bill - would you just put it in your pocket and keep quiet? Or would you make at least some effort to work out who it belongs to?

This situation was neither of those things. This wasn't a crowded place. The proper owners of those crystals was clearly and obviously Kabam.

So, this situation was more like you were walking along behind someone and saw a wad of notes fall out of their pocket.

People had a choice: pick up the notes and keep silent, because finders keepers, loser! Or they could be honest, and call out "Hey you! You dropped your money."

One of those choices is legally and morally right, the other is legally and morally wrong.

You're defending the wrong one.
  • MasterAMasterA Member Posts: 576 ★★★
    Have they said anything about rewards or is it still keep an eye out
    Armed07 said:

MasterA said:

24-48 hours yeah right

I know. Now they’re telling me that they don’t know when to expect them and to keep any eye out.
  • Armed07Armed07 Member Posts: 104
    MasterA said:

Armed07 said:

MasterA said:

24-48 hours yeah right

I know. Now they’re telling me that they don’t know when to expect them and to keep any eye out.
    They don’t have a timeline yet, I’ve bugged them about it but they don’t care. You’d think it’ll be easy to send out but nah. In my opinion they should just resend them for everyone, some people get to double up for not using the glitch and the rest of us get the rewards we played for .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★★★
    Armed07 said:

MasterA said:

Armed07 said:

MasterA said:

24-48 hours yeah right

They don’t have a timeline yet, I’ve bugged them about it but they don’t care. You’d think it’ll be easy to send out but nah. In my opinion they should just resend them for everyone, some people get to double up for not using the glitch and the rest of us get the rewards we played for .
    The problem is that they can't easily figure out how many points you had before the temp ban reset your points on the server side. Resending the rewards would just go to everyone who already got them and nobody who didn't.
  • Armed07Armed07 Member Posts: 104

Armed07 said:

MasterA said:

Armed07 said:

MasterA said:

24-48 hours yeah right

The problem is that they can't easily figure out how many points you had before the temp ban reset your points on the server side. Resending the rewards would just go to everyone who already got them and nobody who didn't.
    My point is that they give us the rewards at however many points we got period. Don’t deduct any and to make it fair they should resend alliance rank rewards. Especially since we got the solo rewards and our alliance mates got the rewards with the points contributed from the champs the mythic crystal gave. It’s the easiest solution and makes everyone happy, the people complaining about how unfair it is due to the extra points we got.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian
    OKAYGang said:

Armed07 said:

I didn't take advantage but this is not an exploit it's a bug (code mistake by a developer on Kabam's payroll) and 100% Kabam's fault. You all didn't modify any code or bypass any security controls to gain access to those crystals which would be the definition of an exploit in IT terms anyways
    They were handed to you by Kabam. Personally you all should have been allowed to keep them and the account suspensions are complete bs, this was 100% Kabam's mistake. No malicious actions had to occur for you to gain access to the crystals. It's no different than if you found money on the ground in a crowded public place. It's not theft for picking it up and putting it in your pocket.
    There's actually quite a bit of wrong here.

First of all, all exploits (in the gaming world in this context) are due to bugs. In the online gaming world, the commonly accepted definition of an exploit or exploitive behavior is to use a bug, glitch, or feature of the game in a way that clearly grants an unintended and unfair advantage.

Second, and incidentally, in the IT security world an exploit is a process or software designed to take advantage of a vulnerability to attack or compromise the integrity of a system. It does not explicitly require modifying code nor does it explicitly require bypassing security controls. Most social engineering attacks, for example, exploit weaknesses in training or process design.

And third, If a bank puts a million dollars into your bank account by accident, they can take it back and you can be charged with theft if you knowingly spend it or refuse to give it back, which would be analogous to the mythic crystal bug. But more directly, in the US most states have laws that say that above a certain value, finders of cash or valuables must make some reasonable effort to locate the owner or notify the authorities. The legal principle is known as abandonment. If you find a quarter on the ground, a reasonable person could conclude the person who lost it has abandoned it - decided it wasn't worth going back to get. You can pick it up and keep it. But if you find a thousand dollars on a park bench somewhere, you can't assume the original owner deliberately abandoned the money. A reasonable person should conclude this is an error and they might want it back. Taking it and keeping it can result in criminal charges if the original owner somehow tracks you down.

If Kabam was supposed to give you 1000 shards but they accidentally give you 1200 shards, no one is expected to notice or avoid spending those shards and Kabam is unlikely to try to claw them back. That's analogous to abandonment: most reasonble people would conclude Kabam is unlikely to want those 200 shards back. But if Kabam is supposed to give you 1250 shards and they actually give you 1250 crystals, most reasonable people should conclude that is a mistake and not try to exploit that mistake. Doing so is an unreasonable attempt to profit from that error, and you can be held responsible for your actions, analogous to the same situation with regard to finding sufficiently large amounts of money in a public place.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,794 ★★★★★
    OKAYGang said:

Armed07 said:

No. Just no. Please stop encouraging this behavior in game. Do you not see the chaos it's caused from greedy summoners?
  • MasterAMasterA Member Posts: 576 ★★★