Battlegrounds needs balancing

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,487 ★★★★★
    A_Fungi said:

The reality is, if Kabam made a change to matchmaking, then the rewards would likely become tiered, based on progression.

If that happened, people would complain that they aren't getting the same rewards

I think where we are is the best Kabam can do. There is a massive range of players able to play BGs. We all want the victory tokens and the rewards along the way.

If people become stonewalled, they get stonewalled. That is when you switch to the 48 hour objectives and try to get the points for milestones. There is nothing wrong with that. That is what a lot of people do anyway.

You expect people to play the game mode doing that month after month? I guarantee they're going to give up eventually.
    I'm not entitled at all.
  • A_FungiA_Fungi Member Posts: 993 ★★★★

A_Fungi said:

The reality is, if Kabam made a change to matchmaking, then the rewards would likely become tiered, based on progression.

If that happened, people would complain that they aren't getting the same rewards

I think where we are is the best Kabam can do. There is a massive range of players able to play BGs. We all want the victory tokens and the rewards along the way.

If people become stonewalled, they get stonewalled. That is when you switch to the 48 hour objectives and try to get the points for milestones. There is nothing wrong with that. That is what a lot of people do anyway.

You expect people to play the game mode doing that month after month? I guarantee they're going to give up eventually.
    Eventually they level the playing field. Because the store is full of goodies. They will continue to grow through story content etc. Ideally they progress a little further every season.

This would be motivation to me, trying to make it farther than I did last season. Not make me hate the game mode.

And seriously, if I can't beat someone, why should I expect to get better or even the same rewards as them?

I am in Diamond 4 now, this season is a grind with the new tiers and changes to the number of victory tokens.
    A_Fungi said:

A_Fungi said:

Eventually they level the playing field. Because the store is full of goodies. They will continue to grow through story content etc. Ideally they progress a little further every season.

This would be motivation to me, trying to make it farther than I did last season. Not make me hate the game mode.

And seriously, if I can't beat someone, why should I expect to get better or even the same rewards as them?

I am in Diamond 4 now, this season is a grind with the new tiers and changes to the number of victory tokens.
    No, they won't. Not with the way the competition is set up. Season after Season, people will be fighting through that gauntlet of Gold 1 to V1, and they will have to get through everyone who was in the GC the previous Season. Meanwhile, with every Season, those Players will keep growing. So the competition will get harder, at a rate no one can catch up to. The only thing the current setup will do is perpetuate the same relative standings every Season. This isn't the first thought I've given to it. As it stands now, people will continue to lose interest, save for a portion who isn't phased by it. I've seen it before. I don't find that collateral damage. I want the game mode to be successful, for as many people as possible.
  • Speedball1919Speedball1919 Member Posts: 14
    For a bit of additional information. I'm only just in silver. As it's taken me all season to get out of bronze. I don't want the top rewards. I'd just like more fair match up in such a low rank
    A_Fungi said:

A_Fungi said:

A_Fungi said:

No, they won't. Not with the way the competition is set up. Season after Season, people will be fighting through that gauntlet of Gold 1 to V1, and they will have to get through everyone who was in the GC the previous Season. Meanwhile, with every Season, those Players will keep growing. So the competition will get harder, at a rate no one can catch up to. The only thing the current setup will do is perpetuate the same relative standings every Season. This isn't the first thought I've given to it. As it stands now, people will continue to lose interest, save for a portion who isn't phased by it. I've seen it before. I don't find that collateral damage. I want the game mode to be successful, for as many people as possible.
    Your grounded wisdom is just pessimistic and unfortunate. You are like a puppy that has been abused and can't see the positive in anything.

Why don't we just treat this game like communism. We all play the game, give different amounts of time to the game, and have better skills at the game. But in the end, we all get the same rewards.

Because that seems to be the only way you think it should go.

And anyone who disagrees is clearly a pompous elitist.
    If you're going to engage in a conversation with me, then you can refrain from cheap personal shots.
    I also don't respond well to people misconstruing what I'm saying.
    I'm not talking about Communism, or participation trophies, or a eutopia. I'm talking about a competition that is challenging enough for people so they can progress up to their current plateau, and still progress over time as they advance their Rosters. Same thing you're talking about.
    The difference is, I see the very distinct outcome of the current setup and what it means for the future progress of anyone who isn't among a certain demographic. No amount of reiterating that it's a competition is going to change what it really amounts to.
    No one is asking for some ridiculous handout system. They want a competition that doesn't bash them about at the door, and if you think it's going to be anything but totally discouraging for them at an increasing rate of discouragement, then I'd have to simply say we disagree.
  • Demonic_embraceDemonic_embrace Member Posts: 179 ★★
    A_Fungi said:

A_Fungi said:

A_Fungi said:

Your grounded wisdom is just pessimistic and unfortunate. You are like a puppy that has been abused and can't see the positive in anything.

Why don't we just treat this game like communism. We all play the game, give different amounts of time to the game, and have better skills at the game. But in the end, we all get the same rewards.

Because that seems to be the only way you think it should go.

And anyone who disagrees is clearly a pompous elitist.
    All these words that u're throwing about is too much for one person, don't you think so?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,568 ★★★★★

My 4 best champions are only 7k in rating and everyone else is 3-5k. How is it fair that I'm going up against someone with 7-10k champions. I've played people that are the same power level as me. Win or lose it seems fair. Now it just feels pointless even try to play it

I'm going to be honest with this one. The rating doesn't really mean anything. I don't want to sound rude and say git gud, but this time that may be the case. Battlegrounds is also a test of skill as much as roster.
  • WinterFieldsWinterFields Member Posts: 771 ★★★★

For a bit of additional information. I'm only just in silver. As it's taken me all season to get out of bronze. I don't want the top rewards. I'd just like more fair match up in such a low rank

It sounds like your account is towards the minimum standard to compete, so there might not actually be many options close to yours to match against.

If you would like tips for which champs to rank for offense and defense or what tactics work well for the meta, people will be willing to help.

I would also focus more on growing your account and going through story quests than BG right now. Once you get stronger, you can come back and enjoy the game mode
  • Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Member Posts: 1,676 ★★★★
    I still don't understand why there isn't a different tier BG system like what incursions has. Tier 1 is for uncollected, tier 2 for cavalier, tier 3 for TB and tier 4 for Paragon. All with different rewards that can be attained, the higher the tier the better the rewards, just like incursions. There would be a top tier open to anyone who wants to test their roster and skills against the best with the best rewards. I know that not all uncollected, cavalier, TB or Paragon are the same but it would provide the closest match up. I might be wrong about the different progression, but you get the idea. Separate the progession level so everyone can enjoy a fair match unless they want to challenge themselves against the best.Let's stop the unfair maddness and create a more fair playing field for all. Make BG fair for all.
  • Speedball1919Speedball1919 Member Posts: 14
    Buttehrs said:

My 4 best champions are only 7k in rating and everyone else is 3-5k. How is it fair that I'm going up against someone with 7-10k champions. I've played people that are the same power level as me. Win or lose it seems fair. Now it just feels pointless even try to play it

I'm going to be honest with this one. The rating doesn't really mean anything. I don't want to sound rude and say git gud, but this time that may be the case. Battlegrounds is also a test of skill as much as roster.</blockquot

So I'm not skilled because my champions aren't as powerful? I feel like being put up against an account that's got way more champions at higher star/ranks isn't a lack of skill. If you can play BGs after becoming uncollected then surely it should be balanced. That's all I want, not the best rewards or an easy victory. Just a more fair match up. Either that or BGs should be unlocked after you finish act 6
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,300 ★★★★★
    People should spend energy doing story mode

Pikolu said:

Welcome to the ladder. Just wait until you hit platinum and start matching against paragons with all r5 and r4 6*s in their deck because you can match anyone once you hit there.

Also battlegrounds is not designed to be fair, if you can't progress, then it is time to focus your efforts on story content and roster development

See, now that's dismissive. If people aren't expected to participate in the game mode, then they shouldn't be in it.
    Its not a game mode, its a PVP competition. Unless the competition is divided into progression levels there will be no fairness. The seeding won't make it any better either.
    I think Kabam was clear enough.. you called it elitist, all competitions are elitist.
    Kabam Mike was clear enough

The Platinum thundedome might even be sooner as it should be.
  • WinterFieldsWinterFields Member Posts: 771 ★★★★

Buttehrs said:

I'm going to be honest with this one. The rating doesn't really mean anything. I don't want to sound rude and say git gud, but this time that may be the case. Battlegrounds is also a test of skill as much as roster.
    That's just part of BG. Out of my past 20 matches, only 3 were not against people more than 1 million high than me in account rating. You have to either be the very top or get used to facing champs that outrank yours.

Along the way you will start to pick up new skills and be able to do well. The best way to learn it is to do it, which takes time and plenty of losses. I don't mean to belittle your skills, but if you had a paragon account, it only gets harder.
    Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

Welcome to the ladder. Just wait until you hit platinum and start matching against paragons with all r5 and r4 6*s in their deck because you can match anyone once you hit there.

Also battlegrounds is not designed to be fair, if you can't progress, then it is time to focus your efforts on story content and roster development

See, now that's dismissive. If people aren't expected to participate in the game mode, then they shouldn't be in it.
    Its not a game mode, its a PVP competition. Unless the competition is divided into progression levels there will be no fairness. The seeding won't make it any better either.
    I think Kabam was clear enough.. you called it elitist, all competitions are elitist.

I was there. I saw the comment. I've been in these discussions a long time. I don't need it reiterated to me. You can repeat "competition" until the cows come home, but that doesn't mean it's a competition that needs to be centered around one demographic, and I'm quite positive he said that future changes would make it more fair moving forward. Fairness isn't just fair for one viewpoint.
    As for elitist, the only thing that is elitist is the opinion that BGs shouldn't include anyone but the top demographic, and the outliers of that.
  • Pr0t0t7p3Pr0t0t7p3 Member Posts: 187
    Pikolu said:

Platinum??? I’ve been hitting paragons and legends with r2 7* and r5 6* since silver and gold!! What I want to I know is what are all these big timers way down in silver and gold and not in gladiator track with only 7 days left in BG??? That’s saying something for sure.
    Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

I find it quite generous of kabam to let everyone participate for awhile in the gamemode by having some sort of "fair" matchmaking. However, in a ladder, it shouldn't stay fair, eventually there has to be a point where you need to enhance your roster and skill to progress. I'm not being dismissive, I'm simply saying to do all the other things the game has to offer once you hit that wall.
    You're politely telling people to go kick rocks when they have a valid reason to argue for their gaming experience as well. You can't open a game mode to such a range of Players and tell everyone who isn't the best of the best to suck it up.
    I'm not going to have this argument with you again. I know how much you despise how matchmaking in BGs works, but what you want isn't what Battlegrounds is. Battlegrounds is literally about finding the best of the best. What you want is a casual queue where people are matched purely on roster strength and not where they are on the ladder. In the casual queue, I would make it so you can still complete the BG objectives while also not counting towards the solo or alliance event.

You might not like it, but that's literally the only solution to your pain point with matchmaking. Kabam has already said that changes in matchmaking will only get looser, not tighter.
    It's not about the game mode or experience, its about the REWARDS. If they enjoyed the game mode so much, there are plenty of non rewarding tournaments they can participate in without even spending energy or elder marks.
    Lower end players are just salty because they were able to easily get rewards that they never "deserved".
    Poor matchmaking and/or accounts that can’t win on a level playing field???? Wondering….
    edited August 2023

Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

I was there. I saw the comment. I've been in these discussions a long time. I don't need it reiterated to me. You can repeat "competition" until the cows come home, but that doesn't mean it's a competition that needs to be centered around one demographic, and I'm quite positive he said that future changes would make it more fair moving forward. Fairness isn't just fair for one viewpoint.
    As for elitist, the only thing that is elitist is the opinion that BGs shouldn't include anyone but the top demographic, and the outliers of that.
    You must have your own way of processing information, fair is nowhere to be found on that post. It even says that less experienced players won't be able to move further up. Yes the word "fair" is mentioned; but its referred to who should move up and who SHOULDN'T
    altavista said:

You know what is ridiculous? I have faced an Uncollected and a Cavalier account in Platinum 2, and their rosters consisted of 1-2 6*'s, 5*'s, and then a bunch of 2*'s for sandbagging purposes.

It is pretty ridiculous that a small (Uncollected and Cavalier) account has made it to the same level as a Paragon in Platinum 2, with using a roster that includes sandbagging.

Just as it is "not fair" for there to be unbalanced matchups (like OP is experiencing), it is also "not fair" that they have reached the point that they have.

Yes!! Exactly. It’s broken on both ends. Uncollected and Cav accounts at platinum and paragon legends with r2 7* at silver and gold. How does that not scream somethings off???

Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

You must have your own way of processing information, fair is nowhere to be found on that post. It even says that less experienced players won't be able to move further up.
    You should probably read it again.
  • pseudosanepseudosane Member, Guardian Posts: 3,945 Guardian
    Lets just chill out folks. Every BGs thread goes this route.

Buttehrs said:

Pikolu said:

You must have your own way of processing information, fair is nowhere to be found on that post. It even says that less experienced players won't be able to move further up.
    You should probably read it again.
    I edited, you should probably process the info and not use the definition of "fair" that suits you.
    It was made clear, less experienced players will face bigger accounts, maybe even earlier.

Lets just chill out folks. Every BGs thread goes this route.

Yes as it should be.
    You have UC, Cavs and maybe some TBs wondering why they can't get "fair" matches in a competition, and by fair they mean "winnable"
    Now you're changing your own goal post. I don't think I'm the one hearing what they want.
    Fair is fair for everyone. I'm not obtuse. I know the system needs to transition. I know that everyone will have to plateau eventually. I know it's a competition.
    I also know that it's positively ignorant to keep brushing off the concerns of people lower just because they don't fit your own narrative. I said it before and I'll say it again. If you continue to marginalize the concerns of a number of Players, it's only a matter of time before they give up on playing it. If you think that BGs can run just fine without a number of people playing it, I'm not sure you're aware of what is needed for matchmaking requirements.
    Either way, the fact that it's a competition doesn't mean any one Player has a monopoly and ownership on the experience. Everyone's progress matters. Period.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,938 ★★★★★
    Just because you're gonna quit because BGs are too hard, doesn't mean everyone will.

Now you're changing your own goal post. I don't think I'm the one hearing what they want.
    Fair is fair for everyone. I'm not obtuse. I know the system needs to transition. I know that everyone will have to plateau eventually. I know it's a competition.
    I also know that it's positively ignorant to keep brushing off the concerns of people lower just because they don't fit your own narrative. I said it before and I'll say it again. If you continue to marginalize the concerns of a number of Players, it's only a matter of time before they give up on playing it. If you think that BGs can run just fine without a number of people playing it, I'm not sure you're aware of what is needed for matchmaking requirements.
    Either way, the fact that it's a competition doesn't mean any one Player has a monopoly and ownership on the experience. Everyone's progress matters. Period.

I am not moving a goal post anywhere, it says it will be fair for more experienced players not being able to move up. Clearly stating that less experienced players won't be able to move up.
    You are right on one point, it doesnt mean that 1 player has a monopoly on the experience; but it does on the rewards. People compete for rewards not for experience. Experience in a competition is not defined by being able to win.
    BGs should incentive players to improve their roster and skills, not stay with the current one and just enjoy the sight.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,938 ★★★★★
    Pr0t0t7p3 said:

Pikolu said:

Platinum??? I’ve been hitting paragons and legends with r2 7* and r5 6* since silver and gold!! What I want to I know is what are all these big timers way down in silver and gold and not in gladiator track with only 7 days left in BG??? That’s saying something for sure.
    Because the matchmaking is putting them vs. each other for the majority of the VT. That keeps Mid to low Paragons down in Silver and Gold while only the top Paragons advance.