Stop saying BG matchmaking is broken.

13»

Comments

• BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,423 ★★★★★

I'd actually love a full season where everyone got the same roster to use. That would truly prove that the vast majority of the top players remain at the top because they in fact have the most skill. It would also show the vast majority of low players who remain at the bottom that their skills aren't where they think they are.

What’s the definition of vast majority? 75%? 90%?

I do believe high end paragons who have developed skill would absolutely remain at the top.

But to suggest a newer paragon or a TB who just doesn’t grind to collect resources, can’t read nodes or doesn’t know how to intercept… I believe you would be surprised how unvast vast really is under this specific ‘exact same roster’ scenario.
    You would be surprised how many big roster players got exposed with BGs too, it goes both ways
  • Doctorwho13Doctorwho13 Member Posts: 600 ★★★

I'd actually love a full season where everyone got the same roster to use. That would truly prove that the vast majority of the top players remain at the top because they in fact have the most skill. It would also show the vast majority of low players who remain at the bottom that their skills aren't where they think they are.

I do believe high end paragons who have developed skill would absolutely remain at the top.

But to suggest a newer paragon or a TB who just doesn’t grind to collect resources, can’t read nodes or doesn’t know how to intercept… I believe you would be surprised how unvast vast really is under this specific ‘exact same roster’ scenario.
    You would be surprised how many big roster players got exposed with BGs too, it goes both ways
    Goes hand in hand to be honest. The short version point being that neither roster or progression level - by themselves - indicate skill level.

The ‘exact same roster’ approach where everyone gets the exact same deck would surely distill more down to make skill by itself the main focus.
  • Asim38Asim38 Member Posts: 152 ★★
    As someone who won a lot in a row and then lost a lot in a row and now is in Vibranium 3, I can say match making is very fair. I saw a lot of players in Platinum and Diamond that were hard to perceive would make it there based on their roster strength. I check roster strength of my opponents quite often.

So here is what I think happens with the new ranking system to start the season:
    - Everyone starts from 6 levels below where they finished the last season so the distribution is more even.
    - If you are being overmatched in the tier you are in, well congratulations because you are overachieving. Or your opponent is underachieving in which case you should be able to beat them because you are better than them at that point. Skill matters!
    - Having said that, as the seasons progress, there will be a lot more starting from Platinum 3 because there should be more promoting to the Gladiator Circuit every season because the climb is shorter. This will result in more fierce competition every season.

The luck of the draw matters too. I have defeated those that have a summoner rating 2M above me and lost to those that have a summoner rating 1.5M below me. So there is a fair share of mismatches on both sides and either side can win.

Is match making perfect? Probably not. But at least its fair.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★

Highly doubtful. The top players have built their skills doing all the content. Where, exactly, has the new TB built their skills that will beat an end-game player?
  • GreekhitGreekhit Member Posts: 2,820 ★★★★★

This is wrong overall.
    BGs during sandbagging proved that generally higher account players have average more skill and mostly far greater game/champs knowledge than lower account players.
    Many experienced players lowered their decks to match lower rarity built decks and match newer players, for easy wins.
    It’s also proved by people who run alt accounts and crush equal strength accounts.
    Let’s be honest, there is more skill amongst the big guys than newer players, especially from those who are clearing early acts with high ranked 6*s.
    Newer players don’t develop high skills through story content, because it has been nerfed quite a lot and additionally they generally brute force it with overpowered champs.
    Then they enter BGs overprotected by matchmaking till higher VT tiers, and when the training wheels get off, they face the competition they get literally crushed.
    And of course that causes forum flooding with matchmaking complaining posts 😂
    Greekhit said:

This is wrong overall.
    BGs during sandbagging proved that generally higher account players have average more skill and mostly far greater game/champs knowledge than lower account players.
    Many experienced players lowered their decks to match lower rarity built decks and match newer players, for easy wins.
    It’s also proved by people who run alt accounts and crush equal strength accounts.
    Let’s be honest, there is more skill amongst the big guys than newer players, especially from those who are clearing early acts with high ranked 6*s.
    Newer players don’t develop high skills through story content, because it has been nerfed quite a lot and additionally they generally brute force it with overpowered champs.
    Then they enter BGs overprotected by matchmaking till higher VT tiers, and when the training wheels get off, they face the competition they get literally crushed.
    Yeah kinda but the sandbagging wasn't done with 5* lol it was 10 1* and then 6* maxed lol
    I don't think its a good example.
  • AleorAleor Member Posts: 3,085 ★★★★★
    It is broken. I keep facing people with multiple r5 6*, and then once in a while I'll have people with only a few r4 champs with a 4 wins streak. Given they are in same group as I am, I can't see any way they could've get there with fair matching
  • StatureStature Member Posts: 433 ★★★

Highly doubtful. The top players have built their skills doing all the content. Where, exactly, has the new TB built their skills that will beat an end-game player?
    Do you remember the outrage when revive farms were shut down? There are many extraordinarily skilled players in the game (anyone who plays in the top tiers of AW), but I think a fair number have also brute forced their way to top titles when that was an option. What I would agree on is that every one who has got to the top progression title is a very competitive and persistent player. In my experience doggedness can take you a long way when it comes to clearing solo content in this game.
  • GreekhitGreekhit Member Posts: 2,820 ★★★★★

Greekhit said:

This is wrong overall.
    Yeah kinda but the sandbagging wasn't done with 5* lol it was 10 1* and then 6* maxed lol
    Filling your deck with 5*s or even 4*s to match lower accounts, might not be pure sandbagging, but it’s a form of it.
    Greekhit said:

Greekhit said:

This is wrong overall.
    Filling your deck with 5*s or even 4*s to match lower accounts, might not be pure sandbagging, but it’s a form of it.
    Ah of course not, and if they did that in the first place it would have gone undetected for a while, but people sandbagged to an extreme.
  • OrtounOrtoun Member Posts: 772 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Well said. At the risk of sounding like an a-hole, the fact that lesser rosters/accounts can pretty much get all the way to platinum, is too, absolutely BS. Where stronger accounts have to climb against similar or stronger rosters right out the gate. We've all hit our ceiling somewhere, it's just we've managed to or are in the process of climbing out

Given the way seeding works, most stronger accounts will only have to climb out of Gold once. And I think that is a reasonably small price to pay to give smaller accounts and lower progression accounts some opportunity to participate in the mode and get used to how it works, and collect some rewards for their effort. Unless they can actually compete against the stronger accounts in tiers above Platinum, they will over time hover around Gold/Platinum, which is fair. Players strong enough to reach GC, or even Vibranium, will be starting in either high Gold or Platinum from the start, and avoid the protective match making that exists in Gold and below.

Although it isn't built this way literally, there are now three tiers of BG: Lower VT, Upper VT, and GC. Lower VT uses progressional/roster matching criteria and is there to encourage participation. GC is purely competitive and matches on ELO with no safety net: you win you go up, you lose you go down. Upper VT is the transition between the two, where players are matching by tier, you have some safety net against backsliding, and you may face accounts significantly weaker that managed to climb their way out of the lower VT.
    The problem as I see it, was that as soon as they decided to add seeding they should have removed all match making restrictions, that way the accounts would have actually settled out by merit and not have smaller accounts artificially propped up, and that once the larger accounts had climbed out, and will consistently start higher, the smaller accounts can have their "fair" match ups except for the odd higher tier person just starting up.
  • Doctorwho13Doctorwho13 Member Posts: 600 ★★★

I’m not sure - speaking just for me- what an endgame player is anymore.

Not being funny or rude. And I’m not saying forum posters. I mean kabam. They’ve changed from story progression to roster progression.

Like. We don’t need past 6*r3 to complete content. We just don’t. The higher rarities are nice but not needed for story content. It’s easier sure to finish content with a 7. But you don’t need it.

I can confidently say there’s people who either have inherent skill or developed skill at TB or early paragon who have played for 2 years who are significantly above - in terms of skill - people who have played 8 years and revived or unitmaned their way through content.

At any rate. Once the groundwork is laid the levelling of skill seems pretty static and flat to me. Once you know how to plan, well. Once you know how to draft well, once you know how to intercept (or other applicable skills) at a competitive rate - what would be the difference beyond roster?

• DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Have to disagree. What you’re saying makes sense but then again, this “competitive” gamemode being based on who’s roster is bigger is BS i would say until it matters at the very minority of top players who can all fight as equals. Some people actually care for a competitive and fun battle, and are constantly matched up against players significantly stronger, or significantly weaker, hardly ever a relatively equal matchup. This alone takes away the skill aspect of the game mode, as someone with a dominant roster will always win on time and often health vs perhaps a skilled player who can play perfect, but doesn’t have a decked out 6* r5/7* r2 roster.. Me personally i could easily do without a reward system for BGs if there was an additional game mode beside playing friends in order to play this competitive game mode as intended, maybe setting it up so that both players have availability to the games whole roster at the same rank like how they did for summoner showdown in the way BGs work now. This game mode had a very promising release full of potential, hopefully kabam can find a new system that everyone can enjoy for what the game mode was intended to be.

Its was released as a PvP game mode. You were not aware that there are other players that have bigger or smaller rosters out there?
    Its the very awareness of that thats brought me to the conclusion of sending the message you skimmed yes. Fighting for rewards I understand why such extreme differences may be encountered involving rosters. Thus why i mentioned the second bit as to what would be ideal to having BGs be played for what they were meant to be played like. At least in my opinion.
    The initial release was a tournament with 5* decks.
    There would be no incentive for players to spend and work on their rosters if that happened.
    It would be financial suicide to bring the mode as introduced in the showdown.
    Did nobody read my message at all? Obviously that would be financial suicide were it to be included with the rewards. What OP is initially saying is squash matches will be a thing in a game mode people compete for rewards. My opinion on the matter is that there should be a separate mode of battlegrounds besides friendly matches that are not competitive for rewards, but competitive in the sense everyone is on equal terms regardless of progression, leaving everything dumbed down to skill and strategy, thus making it more fun as well. With this current system you can’t possibly hope to fight on equal terms with anybody for the most part, which defeats the purpose of battlegrounds by making it a power hungry whale out game mode. Thats why i even mentioned the alternative that relates to the initial release of battlegrounds during summoner showdown.
    The purpose of Battlegrounds is for players to compete against each other *with* their rosters. In a game that is primarily about building and growing roster, that rewards roster growth, that gates progress to roster growth, that contains content that overwhelmingly provides advantages to players that obtain stronger rosters, that provides roster advantages in every competitive venue, it should not be a surprise that the deliberate purpose of Battlegrounds is to allow players to use their hard fought for rosters against each other. And if they bought those rosters instead of build them through game play effort, we let them do that also because they are the only reason the game exists, and we thus treat those who earned their rosters through gameplay and those who paid for them identically.

No competition is designed to eliminate all advantages between competitors. Even if you think that's the ideal, you can't reasonably hold every game to your ideal. You can claim that not having a salary cap "defeats the purpose of baseball" but it is the MLB and its fans that decide the purpose of baseball, not you.

I am not a power hungry whale, and I compete in Battlegrounds just fine. I'm never going to be competitive against the largest whale accounts in the game, but I wasn't going to be competitive with the top hundred players either way. For the vast majority of players, the point to participating in Battlegrounds is to see how far you can get, and winning the top spot was never going to be an option. I don't need it to be, to appreciate and enjoy competing against my peers. Nor, do I think, the vast majority of the 250,000+ players that participate in the mode.

I can see the appeal of a roster neutral queue, and it is something I might actually participate in to some extent if it ever materialized. But it is almost certainly never going to have even a tiny fraction of the rewards in the main BG mode, and honestly I wouldn't find it more fun either. BG has significantly revitalized my interest in thinking about collecting champions and ranking them up. Most of my rank up decisions are at least partially or significantly influenced by BG. Without BG strongly incentivizing rank ups, I would almost certainly be having less fun now. Strategic rank ups is responsible for most of the current opportunity for strategic decision making at all in the game mode in my opinion, and I don't think I'm in the minority there.
    Which I wasn’t disagreeing with at all. Im perfectly fine with coexisting with whales or really skilled players when it comes to a fight for the same rewards. The sole intent of having a mode where all players can be treated as equals and fight on the same footing is to be something i find to be much more competitive and fun, and should be available. Perhaps a title or profile picture at best could be a reward in such a game mode just for bragging rights if anything as a fun little incentive for playing the mode. For me, battlegrounds have phenomenal rewards, best in any game mode due to its diversity, but i would much more so appreciate it where the battle isn’t one sided majority of the matches, which I personally value more. Of course again I’m just voicing my opinion in what i find idealistic and don’t expect this to ever come to exist, just figured on such a thread where matchmaking system is deemed unfair by many, i would throw in my thoughts on an alternative that doesn’t compensate for the rewards that battlegrounds has to offer, but compensates the players with something consistent that they can participate in and enjoy.
    That's fair. The source of my issue was the phrase "which defeats the purpose of battlegrounds by making it a power hungry whale out game mode" which seemed to frame the context of your post as "Battlegrounds is broken unless it is this" and not "I would prefer if Battlegrounds was this." We all have our personal preferences.

Going on a 50 match losing streak in Silver III, there is something broken with matchmaking, period.

If you've lost fifty matches in a row in Silver 3, this is not something I believe you can blame on the match maker. I have an Uncollected alt that plays a deck that looks like it was constructed by random number generator. I literally cannot match against players with a weaker roster because no one with a weaker roster can even enter the mode. And I cannot imagine losing that many times in a row.

Possibly in BG itself. Battlegrounds is a very focused, concentrated environment. I've probably learned more about combat actually in BG than in all of my other nine years of play combined. because the vast majority of gameplay is not at that level of complexity and difficulty. A brand new player that decides to live in BG because that's what they like to do is very quickly going to climb the skill ladder (assuming they have the intrinsic ability to learn the game in the first place).

All other things being equal, I will expect a player with more knowledge, experience, and practice to do better in BG than a newer, less experienced player. However, I would expect that gap to start narrowing very quickly if the newer player decides to dedicate all their time to BG and the experienced player doesn't.
    Stature said:

Do you remember the outrage when revive farms were shut down? There are many extraordinarily skilled players in the game (anyone who plays in the top tiers of AW), but I think a fair number have also brute forced their way to top titles when that was an option. What I would agree on is that every one who has got to the top progression title is a very competitive and persistent player. In my experience doggedness can take you a long way when it comes to clearing solo content in this game.
    Wrong.

Revive farming was just to save units. Even so, actually completing the content builds skill regardless of how many revives you used.

We've already seen multiple people crush BGs with their alts further disproving the "low players are even more skilled than end gamers!!!!" argument.

I’m not sure - speaking just for me- what an endgame player is anymore.

Not being funny or rude. And I’m not saying forum posters. I mean kabam. They’ve changed from story progression to roster progression.

Like. We don’t need past 6*r3 to complete content. We just don’t. The higher rarities are nice but not needed for story content. It’s easier sure to finish content with a 7. But you don’t need it.

I can confidently say there’s people who either have inherent skill or developed skill at TB or early paragon who have played for 2 years who are significantly above - in terms of skill - people who have played 8 years and revived or unitmaned their way through content.

At any rate. Once the groundwork is laid the levelling of skill seems pretty static and flat to me. Once you know how to plan, well. Once you know how to draft well, once you know how to intercept (or other applicable skills) at a competitive rate - what would be the difference beyond roster?

"Endgame" means the end of the game, meaning you've completed all the current content and are at the end of the game. TBs are by definition, not endgame players as they have not reached the end of the game.

There are certainly good Cavs or TBs that are better than some Paragons, but remember that just hitting Paragon is no longer at the end of the game so many Paragons are not endgame players.
    DNA3000 said:

Possibly in BG itself. Battlegrounds is a very focused, concentrated environment. I've probably learned more about combat actually in BG than in all of my other nine years of play combined. because the vast majority of gameplay is not at that level of complexity and difficulty. A brand new player that decides to live in BG because that's what they like to do is very quickly going to climb the skill ladder (assuming they have the intrinsic ability to learn the game in the first place).

All other things being equal, I will expect a player with more knowledge, experience, and practice to do better in BG than a newer, less experienced player. However, I would expect that gap to start narrowing very quickly if the newer player decides to dedicate all their time to BG and the experienced player doesn't.
    And this is the whole point, thank you DNA. Use BGs as a tool to build your skills and use the rewards to build your roster, which will lead to more wins and more rewards etc. etc. That's how it should work.
  • NastyPhishNastyPhish Member Posts: 583 ★★★
    I was trying to help people understand that while your account is small, bgs is meant to be a growth resource. Go, fight, get some rewards, get back to story. Which is why it soft-caps you in plat when matchmaking changes.

If it seems unfair to YOU it’s because that actually makes it more fair for everyone in the contest as a whole.
  • spidyjedi84spidyjedi84 Member Posts: 360 ★★★
    edited September 2023
    DNA3000 said:

Going on a 50 match losing streak in Silver III, there is something broken with matchmaking, period.

If you've lost fifty matches in a row in Silver 3, this is not something I believe you can blame on the match maker. I have an Uncollected alt that plays a deck that looks like it was constructed by random number generator. I literally cannot match against players with a weaker roster because no one with a weaker roster can even enter the mode. And I cannot imagine losing that many times in a row.

Finally nabbed a win tonight, six more to go for final Cap objective. Most my losses are 1-1 splits, with the other player just getting really lucky in that final third match with the chess game we play through the rounds.