Kabam πŸ‘ on the 2 new Native American champs incoming..now how about some Muslim/Arab champions

Comments

• JefechutaJefechuta Member Posts: 1,212 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    flapjax said:

It's always funny how the "representation doesn't matter" crowd are always the ones constantly posting in every thread and arguing with everyone about it.

If it truly didn't matter to you, why would you spend so much time and effort posting about it.

I could guess the only reason anyone could have a problem with it would be that the time and resources spent on "representation" could be spent on other things that could involve more people.

Me personally, I dont care about this things, Im not really agree with some things but Its senseless to argue about them, Kabam likes to focus on diversity, some other companies also like to do that, sometimes it will be cool, sometimes it wont, sometimes people will be happy with it, sometimes they wont, the thing is, if you enjoy the game, it shouldnt matter to you to have some months were they will focus on putting out particular characters that represent a particular country, ethnicity, ideology, sexuality or whatever, enjoy the game and if you dont like what you see or what you read, then ignore it, easy peezy.
  • RuwqiersaRuwqiersa Member Posts: 714 β˜…β˜…β˜…

Ruwqiersa said:

We need champs defined by their popularity, not by their race or other close to meaningless stuff like sexuality

Nah representation is important. Not every race/sexuality had equal opportunity since the beginning, so we need to give special representations to specific under represented groups. So definitely we need champs with diverse backgrounds from minority/under represented communities.
    What inequality those minorities faced that somehow related to them being in this game meaning anything important?
    Why are you so fixated in questioning why this matters to other people? It's really weird. One could've asked you the same when you made that dumb thread about "making characters thicc".
    If it doesn't matter to you, good for you, if you want to understand why it matters to other people go read a history book.
    Im trying to understand why its a big deal. Also that thread was a joke idk why u brought that up.
    flapjax said:

It's always funny how the "representation doesn't matter" crowd are always the ones constantly posting in every thread and arguing with everyone about it.

If it truly didn't matter to you, why would you spend so much time and effort posting about it.

I mean im kinda disappointed that we could have got a cooler ghostrider if pushing diversity wasnt a thing. And a cooler looking kabam original
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

We need champs defined by their popularity, not by their race or other close to meaningless stuff like sexuality

Nah representation is important. Not every race/sexuality had equal opportunity since the beginning, so we need to give special representations to specific under represented groups. So definitely we need champs with diverse backgrounds from minority/under represented communities.
    What inequality those minorities faced that somehow related to them being in this game meaning anything important?
    Why are you so fixated in questioning why this matters to other people? It's really weird. One could've asked you the same when you made that dumb thread about "making characters thicc".
    If it doesn't matter to you, good for you, if you want to understand why it matters to other people go read a history book.
    Im trying to understand why its a big deal. Also that thread was a joke idk why u brought that up.
    Go read a history book then.

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

It's important in all of life.
    What?
    It doesn't matter whether it's a game, a T.V. show, or a public setting. Representation matters. It might not matter to you, or some other people, but it matters. Especially when you're talking about characters that people look up to. That says something to an adolescent that sees themselves in them, or an adult that never saw themselves in media growing up.
    There have been many things that the game has nothing to do with directly, but has acknowledged over the years. I'm not buying the reasoning.
    If race, sexsuality, gender isnt something that makes character a good character everybody can relate to that character. Characters shouldnt be on a spotlight cuz of their characteristics that they cant control like race sexsuality or gender. I actually would be kinda emberassed if some game released a character that had the same ethnicity as me just cuz of the ethnicity and make profit off of people from my ethnicity.
    You're talking about an industry that's had a history of putting the spotlight on white males.
    Also, you're making the claim that they're just doing it for the minority bucks if you're saying they're just making a profit off it.
    Your line of thinking puts me in mind of the people I grew up around, faking acceptance. "I don't care if you are, just don't throw it in my face."
    What that really means is, "I'll tolerate it as long as I don't have to see it.".
    That's not acceptance. It's a half-assed effort at tolerance. I don't want to be tolerated. I want the same rights and acceptance as everyone else.
    I'd love to live in a society where people don't have to make an attempt to be inclusive, but until we're there, attempts have to be made to break years and years of exclusivity.
    Representation matters, and it will, for as long as there are holes in the visibility of all people.
    Why does it matter if its all white males or not? Nothing really matters if the characters are cool. People really look at pool of champions in a game and say "damn those are all white i dont wanna play this" ? Also tolerance is acceptance. If X doesnt have any issues with you existing then X tolerates you or accepts your existince. Also it depends what you mean by "throwing at face". It also would be weird for someone to constantly talk about how white they are or how straight they are. But if its just simply you existing then yeah i can see that. See the thing i dont understand is why we dont add characters that are happen to be certain race or anything instead of bragging about "oh look we are adding this certain race character cuz of their race" like bro it doesnt matter nor it should be a focus point. Its just strange

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

For what?
    OGAvenger said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

What?
    It doesn't matter whether it's a game, a T.V. show, or a public setting. Representation matters. It might not matter to you, or some other people, but it matters. Especially when you're talking about characters that people look up to. That says something to an adolescent that sees themselves in them, or an adult that never saw themselves in media growing up.
    There have been many things that the game has nothing to do with directly, but has acknowledged over the years. I'm not buying the reasoning.
    If race, sexsuality, gender isnt something that makes character a good character everybody can relate to that character. Characters shouldnt be on a spotlight cuz of their characteristics that they cant control like race sexsuality or gender. I actually would be kinda emberassed if some game released a character that had the same ethnicity as me just cuz of the ethnicity and make profit off of people from my ethnicity.
    One of the more ignorant posts I’ve seen on these forums in all honesty…

Who are you to say whether representation of various backgrounds are important in this/any game? Ethnicity, sexuality, gender, etc. may not play an important part in the overall usability of the champ, but who are you to decide that it shouldn’t be in the game at all?

Are you saying these other characters shouldn’t even exist? If so, then you’ve got a lot bigger problems going on in your life bro…if not, then why shouldn’t Kabam add these characters into the game? Either way it sounds like you need to do some self-reflection on your morals and what is and isn’t important

And for those popping in saying β€œI’m insert specific background and I don’t care about representation in a mobile game.” Cool story…you don’t speak for everyone though
    Im not saying certain type of people cant exist in any game. Im just saying making it a selling point or doing it for the sake of doing it is weird.
    edited October 2023
    flapjax said:

Ruwqiersa said:

flapjax said:

I mean im kinda disappointed that we could have got a cooler ghostrider if pushing diversity wasnt a thing. And a cooler looking kabam original
    I mean "cooler" is subjective. Who's to say how much "cooler" a different ghost rider or a different Kabam original would have looked.

I don't want to judge, but when I read your comment, what I hear is you wish these characters weren't minorities/women.

Also Kabam isn't "pushing" anything. Characters simply existing isn't pushing an agenda, and I really wish people would stop with that bs any time a character is a minority or isn't straight.
    Pretty sure there was a higher chance that if it was a different ghost rider it would have been cooler. This also means we wont see another ghost rider for a while which sucks btw yeah cooler is subjective. And im only talking about from my point as how it affected me
  • Emilia90Emilia90 Member Posts: 3,341 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    edited October 2023

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

What?
    You're talking about an industry that's had a history of putting the spotlight on white males.
    Also, you're making the claim that they're just doing it for the minority bucks if you're saying they're just making a profit off it.
    Your line of thinking puts me in mind of the people I grew up around, faking acceptance. "I don't care if you are, just don't throw it in my face."
    What that really means is, "I'll tolerate it as long as I don't have to see it.".
    That's not acceptance. It's a half-assed effort at tolerance. I don't want to be tolerated. I want the same rights and acceptance as everyone else.
    I'd love to live in a society where people don't have to make an attempt to be inclusive, but until we're there, attempts have to be made to break years and years of exclusivity.
    Representation matters, and it will, for as long as there are holes in the visibility of all people.
    I kinda understand the minority bucks point, though Kabam doesn’t fall under that. It’s definitely not true everywhere, but Hollywood especially gets off on giving poc’s shallow representation. I think Disney and marvel as a whole are pretty bad with the kind of empowerment they go for. I genuinely feel like Kabam put in the time and effort to make this new champion great, and not just a forced diversity pick, especially since it was actually designed by First Nation people. It’s genuinely amazing to see when studios actually take time and effort to make their characters 3D and not just diverse. Take ATSV for example. They actually called in people to explain the culture of certain places to them so they could make it as culturally accurate as possible

I remember for a while Bisexual people had a few crappy stereotypes surrounding them, and gay rep was also done very poorly. Definitely has changed to a degree now (arcane being a great example of lesbian representation) but a lot of stuff still falls into the shallow category. It took Hollywood decades to stop making black people gangsters and Asian people weak side characters who were just there for comedic relief, but they still continued to portray a lot of races poorly into the 2010’s and suddenly switched up when criticized
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,488 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Emilia90 said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

What?
    I kinda understand the minority bucks point, though Kabam doesn’t fall under that. It’s definitely not true everywhere, but Hollywood especially gets off on giving poc’s shallow representation. I think Disney and marvel as a whole are pretty bad with the kind of empowerment they go for. I genuinely feel like Kabam put in the time and effort to make this new champion great, and not just a forced diversity pick, especially since it was actually designed by First Nation people. It’s genuinely amazing to see when studios actually take time and effort to make their characters 3D and not just diverse. Take ATSV for example. They actually called in people to explain the culture of certain places to them so they could make it as culturally accurate as possible

I remember for a while Bisexual people had a few crappy stereotypes surrounding them, and gay rep was also done very poorly. Definitely has changed to a degree now (arcane being a great example of lesbian representation) but a lot of stuff still falls into the shallow category. It took Hollywood decades to stop making black people gangsters and Asian people weak side characters who were just there for comedic relief, but they still continued to portray a lot of races poorly into the 2010’s and suddenly switched up when criticized
    Oh, for sure. When companies don't support issues but they put on a front, it's disingenuous. It reminds me of the political parties that march in Pride. Not all parties, just the ones that don't support issues on a regular basis.
    Kabam doesn't fall under that umbrella. They've always advocated for inclusion.

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

For what?
    So you understand why representation is important for some people and stop being a **** on the forums.
    Who does bro think he is? Im just asking questions bro

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

What?
    Why does it matter if its all white males or not? Nothing really matters if the characters are cool. People really look at pool of champions in a game and say "damn those are all white i dont wanna play this" ? Also tolerance is acceptance. If X doesnt have any issues with you existing then X tolerates you or accepts your existince. Also it depends what you mean by "throwing at face". It also would be weird for someone to constantly talk about how white they are or how straight they are. But if its just simply you existing then yeah i can see that. See the thing i dont understand is why we dont add characters that are happen to be certain race or anything instead of bragging about "oh look we are adding this certain race character cuz of their race" like bro it doesnt matter nor it should be a focus point. Its just strange
    This response is the epitome of ignorance. Why does it matter if it's all white males or not? You can't be serious with that response.
    Im serious. I never gave attention to the race, gender or sexsuality of the character that i think looks cool. If its all white or whatever
    Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

Ruwqiersa said:

For what?
    So you understand why representation is important for some people and stop being a **** on the forums.
    Who does bro think he is? Im just asking questions bro
    You've been getting the same answers to your questions for two days straight yet you're still asking the same questions over and over again. Just move on lol I'm sure they will add more Ghost Riders in the future.
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Member Posts: 1,923 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    edited October 2023
    Kabam can only work through minorities so fast, and making new champs takes a lot of time and effort to get a champion right.
  • UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Member Posts: 1,302 β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…
    Wicket329 said:

Deepworld said:

Maat1985 said:

Due to ongoing war, releasing an arab champ may be inappropriate currently.

sterotyping all arabs under the umbrella of hamas is not good to do, nor is it accurate, nor does it have any basis in any logic.
    Considering they scrapped a buff for a Russian character during the start of the Russia Ukraine conflict, he’s right.
    Wait who were they going to buff?
    They never confirmed who, but it was most likely Red Guardian. That is a unique situation in that Red Guardian is specifically an avatar of Russian imperialistic aggression. He is a soldier of his government, and that same real world government had just launched an imperialistic invasion. It was all just too on the nose.
    Yeah the Red Guardian one seems so specific - that would be like them adding Sabra, a mutant who literally works for the Israeli intelligence services into the game.

But Marvel literally did just that in the upcoming Captain America movie… and I just can’t see *any* way that works out well for them.

Characters like M (Monet) and Dust are so cool though I’d love to see them in the game. However with Dust’s costume, I feel like they’d fight an uphill battle no matter what.

nuance is dead so i'll just say this.

do you notice the bickering, hostility, mistrust, and uneasiness in this thread and others like it? or more importantly in society in general? this is what identity politics does. it creates division, resentment, hostility, and tribalism.

and it's a feature, not a bug....

it's goal is to foment resentment, balkanize society, and weaken it and society's obsession with meaningless identity categories will be our downfall.

we used to ignore any differences and celebrate commonalities....now identity is at the forefront and everyone's at each other's' throats.

@Kabam Miike found another one
This discussion has been closed.