**May 8th - HOT FIX INCOMING**
Hey Summoners,
A Hot Fix will be pushed to all stores shortly. This will address a bug causing crashes on some iOS devices. Please keep an eye out and update when you're able.
Thank you!
Options

How to win at BGs - secret tips

Milan1405Milan1405 Posts: 952 ★★★★
Here are some tips and tricks that are seldom mentioned:

1. Use 'trap' defenders if ur roster is low ranked. For instance, if your opponent hasn't got a solid counter to your electro, it doesn't really matter if he is rank 3 or rank 5, they are not going to have a good time.

2. Take breaks and don't be afraid to change up your deck if it's not working for you. I was losing matches with void as he is a bit slow. So I benched him even though he is decay and brought in another defender into my deck.

3. Watch youtubers streams. Beroman, KT1, Andrewtheruff etc. They are all solid players and you can copy their strategies, rank up the same attackers/defenders that you see do particularly well for them and learn interactions or niche counters you may not have thought of,

4. Adapt your mastery setup to each meta. Again, you can copy those used by high end youtubers.

5. Practise fighting. If you think your skill could be better then always try to improve it. I got highly skilled by doing labyrinth and act 6. Sadly kabam nerfed act 6 into the ground and labyrinth is no longer a challenge since the game has progressed a long way from rank 4 5 stars. Perhaps doing abyss runs, gauntlet and eop fights and practising with different champions will help you master their playstyle.

6. Secret tip that no one mentions: At the start of the meta go in and play 10-20 matches with energy. Use attackers that you think might be able to do certain defenders and place champs on defence you don't usually place and see how they do. Then make a mental note of how it goes without any pressure of winning. Then you can get started building your deck for real with all this in mind and play with elders marks.

I haven't been able to play too much this season but it works well for me:

Comments

• Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,266 ★★★★★

Tip 7: Cosmic Ghost Rider

Fr, he is kind of guaranteed victory
  • Options
    Stature said:

Tip 12: Be locked in to pick second.

Will easily save you 50 matches in progression.

Should be a paid feature.

Honestly doesn't matter that much. The main thing is drafting well which takes skill and practise. If you are not good at drafting then pick mostly 2 way champions so you have more of a chance of having a decent counter. (In high tier bgs this strategy loses some value as you might need the best counter e.g torch or aa or something to win the round and 'just a decent counter' can lose you the match.)

What I also do is look through the opponents deck when selecting bans to make a mental note of their best attackers/defenders so I draft with them in mind.

P.S I don't have many of the best champions for this meta (no photon or spider ham or silk or chavez etc) but using these tactics allows me to have an extremely high win rate. I just did 6 more matches now:

• Options
    MasterSmokeMasterSmoke Posts: 549 ★★★
    Will i get banned for using this strat haha
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 692 ★★★★
    Tip 16: Look for possible weaknesses in your opponents deck and ban accordingly. If they only have three of one class, banning all three leaves a hole in their deck
  • Options
    StatureStature Posts: 424 ★★★
    Milan1405 said:

Stature said:

Honestly doesn't matter that much. The main thing is drafting well which takes skill and practise. If you are not good at drafting then pick mostly 2 way champions so you have more of a chance of having a decent counter. (In high tier bgs this strategy loses some value as you might need the best counter e.g torch or aa or something to win the round and 'just a decent counter' can lose you the match.)

What I also do is look through the opponents deck when selecting bans to make a mental note of their best attackers/defenders so I draft with them in mind.

P.S I don't have many of the best champions for this meta (no photon or spider ham or silk or chavez etc) but using these tactics allows me to have an extremely high win rate. I just did 6 more matches now:

You can easily win 10-20% more by always picking second. It's a huge advantage to have. Over the VT and GC climb that saves you so much effort, 50 matches is probably on lower side in terms of the quantifying the benefits people constantly picking second are getting this season.

In close games, who goes second can pretty much decide the outcome of the match-up. If you can draft smartly, you'll almost always win the 3rd round even if you lose one of the first 2.
  • Options
    Stature said:

Milan1405 said:

Stature said:

You can easily win 10-20% more by always picking second. It's a huge advantage to have. Over the VT and GC climb that saves you so much effort, 50 matches is probably on lower side in terms of the quantifying the benefits people constantly picking second are getting this season.

In close games, who goes second can pretty much decide the outcome of the match-up. If you can draft smartly, you'll almost always win the 3rd round even if you lose one of the first 2.
    Well I won twelve matches in a row and in many of them I picked first, but I still won as there are much more important things such as skill level, champion knowledge, practise & experience and roster strength. Probably in that order.

Picking second is a slight advantage but equally that can be more than nullified by drafting strategy and all the factors I listed above. Also take careful mental notes on the best champions of your opponent so you can plan accordingly when drafting. E.g if my opponent has a bunch of strong mystics I will try to draft my top science champs and pick no cosmics. Or if he has a R5 zemo, attuma and korg then I will be trying to draft and even re-rolling for my kitty pryde or bishop.
  • Options
    StatureStature Posts: 424 ★★★
    Milan1405 said:

Picking second is a slight advantage but equally that can be more than nullified by drafting strategy and all the factors I listed above. Also take careful mental notes on the best champions of your opponent so you can plan accordingly when drafting. E.g if my opponent has a bunch of strong mystics I will try to draft my top science champs and pick no cosmics. Or if he has a R5 zemo, attuma and korg then I will be trying to draft and even re-rolling for my kitty pryde or bishop.

I'm happy to take the bet that no one at the top of BG (say top 1,000 or 2,000) has been locked into picking first. That should be enough proof of the advantage it provides. If you are picking first 100% of the time, you'll be at least 2-3 levels below where you can be.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    Tip 17:
    Always, but always ban Torch by any means, even if he is a 5* at the lower end of your opponent’s deck.
    If you don’t, your opponent will 100% draft him and will 100% win a round.
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,324 ★★★★★

THE Tip: Have a badass deck; whether you pick first or second, they're stil going to be pissin' their pants.

Sounds like a tip from The Paragon.
  • Options
    IsisixkswmrIsisixkswmr Posts: 237
    Tip #18: Always have a r5 venom in your deck. ALWAYS
  • Options
    Stature said:

Milan1405 said:

I'm happy to take the bet that no one at the top of BG (say top 1,000 or 2,000) has been locked into picking first. That should be enough proof of the advantage it provides. If you are picking first 100% of the time, you'll be at least 2-3 levels below where you can be.
    I don't think anyone picks first 100% of the time, it is supposed to random right? I pick first sometimes, and second other times. I don't keep count but it feels about even. Also I have beaten some of the best players in the world having picked second. Draft luck, deck strength and skill are all far more important.
  • Options
    AshacekarAshacekar Posts: 1,803 ★★★★
    Ashacekar said:

Forbidden Tip: To win in bg, don't lose. If you don't lose in bg, you will always win.

Give it a try

Bonus Tip for 100% win rate: Play friendlies with your alt account
  • Options
    WOLF_LINKWOLF_LINK Posts: 1,332 ★★★★
    Tip 777: build an intimidating Deck so the enemy forfeits before the Draft has even started … saves a lot of time and effort
  • Options
    jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,074 ★★★
    Greekhit said:

Tip 17:
    Always, but always ban Torch by any means, even if he is a 5* at the lower end of your opponent’s deck.

I see this sometimes. It might be an ascended 5 star, maybe even unascended r5. Or a r2 or r3 6 star thats unawakened so it falls lower in the deck. I always make sure to look, and always ban no matter what. Sometimes I think he's there to throw me off banning higher champs, but I guarantee 9/10 times if I wouldn't ban him, they'd certainly draft him.
  • Options
    Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Posts: 1,217 ★★★★
    Tip 18 - "Just the tip" is never enough.
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 1,942 ★★★★★
    Greekhit said:

Tip 17:

Me with my perfect mystic defender draft and the opponent comes in on their last draft with a silk, Titania, torch, and every other science champ. Meanwhile I’m waiting for nimrod when they draft domino and he’s on vacation
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 1,942 ★★★★★

Tip 18 - "Just the tip" is never enough.

What if the tip has a lot of personality