**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

The most wonderful time of the year?

EvangelionlovrEvangelionlovr Posts: 481 ★★★
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
It's finally here! December is one of the best months of the year for so many people. With the holidays and new year approaching we get to spend time with our friends and families and enjoy each other's company. The mobile game many of us love so much has it's anniversary and holiday events every year, where we can get lots of rewards to grow our rosters to get ready for the new year.

So this year for December Kabam decided to give us the worst AW Meta since the "Bugged" Armor burn meta (Domino should never be a tactic defender ever). But thank god we get more war rewards to entice people to play next season right? The season that starts 4 days before the biggest holiday of the year for majority of MCOC fanbase? Better join AW after you open your presents kids!

And then the biggest event of the year for this lovely game; Banquet event! This year you can expect 75% of the exact same rewards as last year in the milestones! 1 total 7* related milestone! And expect to pay 3x as much as last year if you want to get all milestones! All while your stash fills up with T5B and T2A that you'll never use!

Happy Holidays everyone! Let me know what YOU think of this month's events below!

Comments

• Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,372 ★★★★★
    The audacity of Kabam to copy paste most of last year's Banquet rewards to this year's, I was very certain that after 7* introduction, mind blowing & game breaking black friday deals along the Necropolis that this year's Banquet will be must to spend money on but by gods, this year's Banquet will stink so much.
  • Options
    Chuck_FinleyChuck_Finley Posts: 807 ★★★★
    PT_99 said:

The audacity of Kabam to copy paste most of last year's Banquet rewards to this year's, I was very certain that after 7* introduction, mind blowing & game breaking black friday deals along the Necropolis that this year's Banquet will be must to spend money on but by gods, this year's Banquet will stink so much.

Because spending 300 units on T2 alpha and selling it while gobbling up useless 2022 milestones really is the best way to use resources.
  • Options
    Josh2507Josh2507 Posts: 559 ★★★★
    edited December 2023
    It's the most wonderful time of the year

To stay indoors and consume large amounts of food
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,059 ★★★★★
    Last year everyone cried because R2 mats were coming too quickly. Now they're supposedly trash rewards. What a difference a year makes.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,059 ★★★★★

Last year everyone cried because R2 mats were coming too quickly. Now they're supposedly trash rewards. What a difference a year makes.

I for one am shocked that your post would be confrontational, provocative and contrary to everyone else's.

Just because you have short term memory loss doesn't mean I have to. We went from "this is too much too fast" to "this is trash, save your units".
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,441 ★★★★
    It's a market correction. It happens. The fact that Necro spend fell into q4 means they'll likely match or exceed YoY revenue ( q4 2022 was $69m usd, according to Netmarble financials) despite a potential lackluster banquet event. What I'm keen on seeing is what q1 2024 looks like, with ostensibly nothing for Valiants to do but fight each other in bgs.

Throttling rewards so content can catch up is, however:

• Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,319 ★★★★★

I am perplexed!! Are you talking about r2 six stars? If so you are right. Those are trash.
    I only see 1.25 each of t3a and t6b and only 1 t6cc in the milestones. We need 7 each of the former and 4 of the later to r2 a 7 star. No one is calling r2 materials trash. It’s the quantity of those that is trash.
  • Options
    Chuck_FinleyChuck_Finley Posts: 807 ★★★★

It's a market correction. It happens. The fact that Necro spend fell into q4 means they'll likely match or exceed YoY revenue ( q4 2022 was $69m usd, according to Netmarble financials) despite a potential lackluster banquet event. What I'm keen on seeing is what q1 2024 looks like, with ostensibly nothing for Valiants to do but fight each other in bgs.

Throttling rewards so content can catch up is, however:

I just fail to grasp this to the fullest extent. July 4th, necropolis…. I get it. But what is it with this belief that making it possible to R5 6 stars or r2 7 stars is game breaking? A bigger chunk of 7 star shards is game breaking? We survived BF/CW with such things. But it’s even worse than that… you can’t even Rank 4 a six star if you max out milestones.

That’s an economic correction? I don’t think so. The July 4th correction doesn’t explain this… and the whaliest of whales are still getting absurd rewards. Compare their rewards to the 1% rank. It’s absurd.
  • Options
    ZekedamamZekedamam Posts: 215 ★★
    edited December 2023
    ahmynuts said:

It's the most wonderful time of the year to save my units and money because the banquet event is ass and a half this year

Why do you people seem to forget that thronebreaker and below players exist? The event isn’t just for you sweaty paragon and valiant whalers. I could easily see someone looking to become paragon or throne breaker heavily benefiting from this event.
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

Zekedamam said:

ahmynuts said:

It's the most wonderful time of the year to save my units and money because the banquet event is ass and a half this year

Why do you people seem to forget that thronebreaker and below players exist? The event isn’t just for you sweaty paragon and valiant whalers. I could easily see someone looking to become paragon or throne breaker heavily benefiting from this event.
    1. You don't have to be a whale to get valiant. It's not that hard.
    2. It's a non progression locked event generalized to everyone. It's absolute hot garbage to the higher progression tiers. It doesn't matter if thronebreaker and lower benefit. You completely missed the point of all of this like Chuck said. You argument makes no sense and is invalid
    1. Cry I’m thriving with this event
    2. Enjoy your “trash” rewards
  • Options
    DrZola said:

Pikolu said:

Guys, remember that if you have a full alliance, if everyone contributes, then most people will only have to spend 950 of your units to grab the 7* gifted guardians crystal. That alone is pretty worth it. The solo event, on the other hand, can just be ignored.

That’s about the only good blush to put on it, and I appreciate your effort. But it’s still a disappointment, plain and simple.

I would add that cost escalates quickly for folks with anything other than an active, full alliance. And there are quite a few Summoners playing in those, mainly because they love the game but don’t want to make it a career. Perhaps the solo event is for them.

Dr. Zola
    Another way to look at it is that this could be setting a precedent that kabam doesn't intend to give out the best rewards in the game during banquet (unless you're a mega whale). Imagine how garbage that would feel of having just explored necropolis for valiant and within a month, you could get the same or better rewards from banquet.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the milestones are hot garbage, but it is nice how necropolis is giving the best rewards in the game for this year, and not banquet.
  • Options

I agree with most of what’s been said.

1. It’s trash for my Valiant account. I’ll be saving my units for July.
    2. It’s bonkers for my baby Cav account. Only 950 units for a nexus abyss, 6* ascension and a 7* is a big win.

That’s what I was getting at lol. For someone who isn’t super far I progression this event will be a huge boost.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,026 ★★★★★
    Zekedamam said:

I agree with most of what’s been said.

1. It’s trash for my Valiant account. I’ll be saving my units for July.
    2. It’s bonkers for my baby Cav account. Only 950 units for a nexus abyss, 6* ascension and a 7* is a big win.

That’s what I was getting at lol. For someone who isn’t super far I progression this event will be a huge boost.
    Literally no one denied that
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

I for one am shocked that your post would be confrontational, provocative and contrary to everyone else's.

Just because you have short term memory loss doesn't mean I have to. We went from "this is too much too fast" to "this is trash, save your units".
    That's what happens when Kabam artificially infaltes the game economy too much too fast and does nothing to correct it leaving us with that new norm for months and then all of a sudden tries to roll it back. It doesn't work that way, they can stagnate us on r3s for a year for all we care but they cant try and offer 6 star r4s to valiant players at this point, they overshot with 7*s and now they are trying to even that curve out with sh*t rewards.
    This is a weird argument. You are literally saying that Kabam made the earlier rewards too high and are being penalized for setting expectations too high as a consequence, and they are clearly trying to "even out that curve" by making the banquet rewards lower than expected. But by your own argument, that is literally what they should be doing, so as not to set expectations even higher next time.
  • Options

Pikolu said:

DrZola said:

Pikolu said:

Guys, remember that if you have a full alliance, if everyone contributes, then most people will only have to spend 950 of your units to grab the 7* gifted guardians crystal. That alone is pretty worth it. The solo event, on the other hand, can just be ignored.

That’s about the only good blush to put on it, and I appreciate your effort. But it’s still a disappointment, plain and simple.

I would add that cost escalates quickly for folks with anything other than an active, full alliance. And there are quite a few Summoners playing in those, mainly because they love the game but don’t want to make it a career. Perhaps the solo event is for them.

Dr. Zola
    Another way to look at it is that this could be setting a precedent that kabam doesn't intend to give out the best rewards in the game during banquet (unless you're a mega whale). Imagine how garbage that would feel of having just explored necropolis for valiant and within a month, you could get the same or better rewards from banquet.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the milestones are hot garbage, but it is nice how necropolis is giving the best rewards in the game for this year, and not banquet.
    Why do people keep making this strawman argument?? Are your really arguing the next step up in rewards in the Banquet would be to make Necropolis irrelevant? Did you look at the milestones??? If you aren’t in the top 90 spenders in the world, it makes zero sense. If you even go make it to 1% in the rank rewards…. You were better off emptying the store during cyber weekend.

This argument really needs to stop
    That's not how rewards are designed. They aren't designed to be as high as possible without being game breaking. Making the banquet rewards a little higher would not be game breaking. Making them a little higher than that would not be game breaking. Making them one more step higher than that would not be game breaking. And if you were to increase them one more additional step higher than that they would still not be game breaking. There's no single incremental step that takes rewards from not game breaking to game breaking. But literally no one asks this kind of question when designing rewards, precisely because it is a fool's exercise.

If the rewards need to do X, they must be high enough to do X, and no higher. If the rewards don't need to do X, then they don't need to be that high. If the designer wants the rewards to do X but discovers that this is not possible within the current economy limits, then they don't just try to go as high as possible to get as close as possible. They change their goals to do Y instead, and then make the rewards high enough to do Y, and no higher.

When someone says they don't want game breaking rewards, but they could at least do more, that just isn't how it works. They could always do more. But the goal isn't to add as much rewards as possible. It is usually the opposite.

There are some people who would say that at the very least, the goal should have been for the banquet rewards to be sufficiently relevant for everyone to want to participate fully. But given the spread of what different players want, that was an impossible goal. And once again, in economic terms when you have an impossible goal you don't just go as high as possible to get as close as possible, you set different goals. And the reason why all of this is true is specifically because every reward design must find a balance between the forces pushing you to increase those rewards to be as attractive as possible and those pushing you to decrease those rewards to be as small as possible. If you remove the latter constraint and just try to go as high as you can, that goes places no game designer ever wants to go.

You can argue they picked the wrong balance point, but it will always be the wrong balance point for someone. They could always do more for that guy. And a little more for the next guy. And the next. Where ever you draw the line, someone will be standing half an inch from it screaming that they could have gone just a little farther but refused to do so because they are idiots.
  • Options
    Mik81Mik81 Posts: 80
    I personally find the event not really appealing, I won't spend my credits and that's fine.

I like that content rewards give more than events that do not evolve playing (like banquet event) While still giving an option for mega whales to pay for the bills. I'd think that they either don't targeted or didn't want to target end gamers that are casual spenders, seems like a "all in" or "none" movement, but I could be wrong.

But I'd love to see some rewards in those events that would help me clearing content, like big boost, team revives, those are useful at any progression level. You used to be able to gift those consumables and it helped me in the past playing the game. I understand why they got removed, but they could have been added into the milestones...