Comments

• ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,568 ★★★★★
    Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

Why do you all think Kabam brought in 7* ranks 3s in less than a year (~ 8 months from introduction to rank 3s)?

No star level has progressed that quickly in recent memory.

My guess is it's because they made 6* ascensions too powerful (basically equal to 7r2) - if you could ascend all your champions to the equivalent of 7r2, why push for new 7* apart from the stat focus feature (and challenger rating in long content)?

Ascensions were their peace offering to the community for bringing in 7*s when many players didn't want to start the chase over for new champs at a new star level, but I think they probably made it a bit too powerful.

I think even without Ascension, there were still problems with 7* R2. Because 7* ranks overlap 6* ranks (which was the pattern going back to 5* champs) 7* R2 wasn't a lot more powerful than 6* R5 even without ascension in the mix. But equally important, neither 6* R5 nor 7* R2 could really gate progress because of the overlap in rank up materials. You had players speculating on whether or not 7* R1 champs might gate the next progression tier, much less 7* R2.

7* R3 was the first rank that you could introduce a new catalyst requirement, which could then gate progression. Which meant if you added up the fact that R1 and R2 had significant overlap with 6* champs, *and* ascension was going to blur that even further, *and* we had to get to R3 to gate the next progression tier, there was significant pressure to get past R2 and to R3.

I'm pretty sure that rank progression is going to be substantially slower post R3 because all those pressures are now gone. Probably to the point where people will be complaining it is too slow again. But I think those complaints are a sign that Kabam is going at the right speed. When they disappear, that's the canary in the cage that things are going faster than they ordinarily should.
    Wow, is this the real DNA? Because I have never seen such a bad post from you before, especially one related to stats.
    7* R2 weren't that much more powerful than 6r5? Really? You need to do some (simple) math.
    If you check the difference in stats, it's about 21.7% (health and attack). So ascension gives you 22% and now your 6*s can still feel relevant vs 7*s.
    But if you do the math on stat increases between each ranks (for 6*) you will see it's about 15% each time (except r1 to r2). If 6*s would've had rank 6, 7*r2 would've been more powerful than even that.
    So 7r2 are much, much more powerful than 6r5. Thats why ascension had to be so powerful.

Kabam said they learned from previous rarity releases (6*, 5*) and they'll do better with 7*. But in fact they did much, much worse:
    - 7r1 are close to a 6r5 in stats (only ~3% worse), when in fact they should've been much closer to a 6r4 (like 2% better).
    - this made a 4 year chase to R5 a 6* seem pointless, made to feel even worse when kabam sold 4-5 6* gems on July 4th like candy on Halloween
    - 7r2 should not have required catalysts already in-game. They should've been the chase for the next year, not 7r3.

The hope now is that 7R4s won't be released for at least 18 months. Maybe even two years. And when they do get released, a new 6* ascension level is also released to bring 6*s on a 7r3 level.
    Why on earth would they allow us to ascend 6* 2nd time? What would have been the point of 7* in the first place then? That's a silly idea. Especially if it's 2 years from now, you should have a very healthy amount of 7* available.
    You think I'll have 250 7* in 2 years? From 38 now? And dozens of them at sig200?
    The idea of a 2nd ascension would be to bring 6* at 7r3 level after 7r4s become available.
    Also, I think we all agree that some champs will never be 7* (Herc). This would be a way to keep them relevant. Also to not make 4 years of collecting 6* completly worthless.
    7* can go to rank 6. Having our old 6* roster at a 7r3 level (half of max) is reasonable. Actually, when r5 or r6 7* are out, another 6* ascension should be released.

PS: look at the ascension icon. It clearly has a "1" on it. Maybe it's intentional, maybe an accident. But in the future it can have a 2, or a 3 on it.
    Not to mention, you already answered your own question. You have 38 7* out of a possible what 100ish? That's already 1/3 the available 7*. So yea you absolutely will have 250 in another 2 years.
  • Crys23Crys23 Member Posts: 804 ★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

Why do you all think Kabam brought in 7* ranks 3s in less than a year (~ 8 months from introduction to rank 3s)?

My guess is it's because they made 6* ascensions too powerful (basically equal to 7r2) - if you could ascend all your champions to the equivalent of 7r2, why push for new 7* apart from the stat focus feature (and challenger rating in long content)?

Ascensions were their peace offering to the community for bringing in 7*s when many players didn't want to start the chase over for new champs at a new star level, but I think they probably made it a bit too powerful.

I think even without Ascension, there were still problems with 7* R2. Because 7* ranks overlap 6* ranks (which was the pattern going back to 5* champs) 7* R2 wasn't a lot more powerful than 6* R5 even without ascension in the mix. But equally important, neither 6* R5 nor 7* R2 could really gate progress because of the overlap in rank up materials. You had players speculating on whether or not 7* R1 champs might gate the next progression tier, much less 7* R2.

7* R3 was the first rank that you could introduce a new catalyst requirement, which could then gate progression. Which meant if you added up the fact that R1 and R2 had significant overlap with 6* champs, *and* ascension was going to blur that even further, *and* we had to get to R3 to gate the next progression tier, there was significant pressure to get past R2 and to R3.

I'm pretty sure that rank progression is going to be substantially slower post R3 because all those pressures are now gone. Probably to the point where people will be complaining it is too slow again. But I think those complaints are a sign that Kabam is going at the right speed. When they disappear, that's the canary in the cage that things are going faster than they ordinarily should.
    Wow, is this the real DNA? Because I have never seen such a bad post from you before, especially one related to stats.
    7* R2 weren't that much more powerful than 6r5? Really? You need to do some (simple) math.
    If you check the difference in stats, it's about 21.7% (health and attack). So ascension gives you 22% and now your 6*s can still feel relevant vs 7*s.
    But if you do the math on stat increases between each ranks (for 6*) you will see it's about 15% each time (except r1 to r2). If 6*s would've had rank 6, 7*r2 would've been more powerful than even that.
    So 7r2 are much, much more powerful than 6r5. Thats why ascension had to be so powerful.

Kabam said they learned from previous rarity releases (6*, 5*) and they'll do better with 7*. But in fact they did much, much worse:
    - 7r1 are close to a 6r5 in stats (only ~3% worse), when in fact they should've been much closer to a 6r4 (like 2% better).
    - this made a 4 year chase to R5 a 6* seem pointless, made to feel even worse when kabam sold 4-5 6* gems on July 4th like candy on Halloween
    - 7r2 should not have required catalysts already in-game. They should've been the chase for the next year, not 7r3.

The hope now is that 7R4s won't be released for at least 18 months. Maybe even two years. And when they do get released, a new 6* ascension level is also released to bring 6*s on a 7r3 level.
    Why on earth would they allow us to ascend 6* 2nd time? What would have been the point of 7* in the first place then? That's a silly idea. Especially if it's 2 years from now, you should have a very healthy amount of 7* available.
    You think I'll have 250 7* in 2 years? From 38 now? And dozens of them at sig200?
    The idea of a 2nd ascension would be to bring 6* at 7r3 level after 7r4s become available.
    Also, I think we all agree that some champs will never be 7* (Herc). This would be a way to keep them relevant. Also to not make 4 years of collecting 6* completly worthless.
    7* can go to rank 6. Having our old 6* roster at a 7r3 level (half of max) is reasonable. Actually, when r5 or r6 7* are out, another 6* ascension should be released.

PS: look at the ascension icon. It clearly has a "1" on it. Maybe it's intentional, maybe an accident. But in the future it can have a 2, or a 3 on it.
    Not to mention, you already answered your own question. You have 38 7* out of a possible what 100ish? That's already 1/3 the available 7*. So yea you absolutely will have 250 in another 2 years.
    250 in 2 years? Wow, you're way off. Been collecting 6* for 4+ years and in the past 2 years I get about 20 6* crystals per month. You think we'll be at that point with 7* shards anytime soon?
    Master top10 AW and Mysterium+ in BGs barely gets you 1 7* crystal. With everything else, lets say you average 2(!!!) 7* crystals a month. And that will stay for near future. Nowhere near 20 a month.
    Kabam's solution for more 7* shards is Raids. And thats half a crystal a month.
    Optimistically, in a year we'lll be at 5-6 a month. Nowhere near enough to get to 200+. And the more 7* you have, the more dupes you'll get (useless dupes).
    250 in 2 years? No. I'd be happy if I have over 100. Most likely it will be around 90.
    Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

250 in 2 years? Wow, you're way off. Been collecting 6* for 4+ years and in the past 2 years I get about 20 6* crystals per month. You think we'll be at that point with 7* shards anytime soon?
    Master top10 AW and Mysterium+ in BGs barely gets you 1 7* crystal. With everything else, lets say you average 2(!!!) 7* crystals a month. And that will stay for near future. Nowhere near 20 a month.
    Optimistically, in a year we'lll be at 5-6 a month. Nowhere near enough to get to 200+. And the more 7* you have, the more dupes you'll get (useless dupes).
    250 in 2 years? No. I'd be happy if I have over 100. Most likely it will be around 90.
    Maybe not your personally, but those that spend absolutely will. I have already seen rosters with almost all available 7* so far and at high or max sigs on some as well. You very clearly have no clue how crystal shards accum8and quickly.
    Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

Maybe not your personally, but those that spend absolutely will. I have already seen rosters with almost all available 7* so far and at high or max sigs on some as well. You very clearly have no clue how crystal shards accum8and quickly.
    I think after more than 8.5 years playing, at the top 1% of the game, with a 6mil account (ftp, sigil only), I think I have a pretty good idea how fast shards accumulate. Seems you're the one without a clue.

Here's some shard and full 7* sources that aren't available anymore (or greatly reduced) since launch:
    - kabam gave us some easy 7* shards at the beggining, not anymore.
    - First 3 crystals were 10k, not 15k
    - BGs were giviving 5k titan shards for VT completion, not anymore
    - july 4th, cyber offers are only once every 6months
    - Necro had seven 7* champs (2 class, 2 on path, 1 selector, Maestro, 1 titan). But that's done
    - new story content, new carinas are limited to couple times a year
    - bought 2 incursion crystals first month from saved artifacts. Now it takes 2 months to get 1
    - loyalty 7* crystal can buy once or twice, but that's done too. Maybe when the pool changes

Even if kabam increases shards in other areas (Raids, AW season, individual war wins) it will only balance the ones we lose from above list.

And another thing. Kabam doesn't want us accumulating 7* as fast as we did 6*'s. Why do you think they made the crystal cost 15k?
    Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

I think after more than 8.5 years playing, at the top 1% of the game, with a 6mil account (ftp, sigil only), I think I have a pretty good idea how fast shards accumulate. Seems you're the one without a clue.

Here's some shard and full 7* sources that aren't available anymore (or greatly reduced) since launch:
    - Necro had seven 7* champs (2 class, 2 on path, 1 selector, Maestro, 1 titan). But that's done
    - bought 2 incursion crystals first month from saved artifacts. Now it takes 2 months to get 1
    - loyalty 7* crystal can buy once or twice, but that's done too. Maybe when the pool changes

Even if kabam increases shards in other areas (Raids, AW season, individual war wins) it will only balance the ones we lose from above list.

And another thing. Kabam doesn't want us accumulating 7* as fast as we did 6*'s. Why do you think they made the crystal cost 15k?
    Yet you get 20 or more 6* crystals a month which probably equal all dupes usually right? Or did you forget about those? That's a ton of 7* shards a month too. Also the first 2 not 3 7* were 10k. You get 7* shards from incursions and Battlegrounds (if you choose to buy them). There are alot more than you claim there to be.
  • GAMEOVERJamesGAMEOVERJames Member Posts: 905 ★★★

It somehow indicates this game is on the way to be self-terminated.

It’s been 9 years since MCOC introduction. I do believe it’s already long enough for a mobile game.

I think the introduction of 7 star champs is pushing everything to the end.

Wouldn't introducing 7* be the opposite to the game on the path to the end? If they stopped at 6*, where does that lead for growth and new progressions or things to chase after?
    Agree, you’re indeed knowing that this game is at the end of its rope.

• GamerGamer Member Posts: 10,694 ★★★★★
    Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

The first 2 7 star is at 10 k shard but slight difference would make to much
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian
    Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

I did all the math on stats when the ranks were first released. I'm fully aware of what the precise difference is in rank scaling.

If you're planning a Necropolis run, say, then the difference between 7* R2 and 6* R5 is fairly significant in pure numerical terms. It could save you between 18% and 33% of your revives, depending on how your fights go. In that sense, the difference is substantial.

But in terms of being a progression incentive, I think it is not as high as it could be, deliberately so. The existence of ascension itself implies a goal: that 7* rarity should not, at least at the early ranks, completely blow 6* rarity out of the water. But it should be high enough to have some incentive power. The gap between 7r2 and 6r5 is thus a compromise between how high it should be to be definitively better than 6* rarity and how high it can be to make ascended 6* champs reasonably competitive with them.

You say they did "much worse" with 7* champs, but in my opinion they did learn the lessons of 6* champs, just probably not the ones you think they should have. They clearly learned that their strategy of not making the next higher rarity blow the previous one out of the water was too conservative, and significantly reduced the overlap between 7* and 6*, whereas with 6* champs and even 5* champs that overlap was too high. It caused whole rank rungs to be essentially "lost" to overlap, making the rarities themselves have far shorter shelf life. It seems clear to me that this lesson is imprinted in the 7* rarity in a lot of ways, from the combat power rate design to the reduced overlap in rank scaling.

I don't know, but I would like to think that the reason why 7* scaling diminishes from 26% to about 18% is a way to ensure that when 7* rarity is competing with 6* rarity, 7* rank ups have bigger jumps, but when 7* rarity is more or less standing alone those jumps diminish, and by the time you get to the point where 7* rarity will be competing with 8* rarity, 7* rank up jumps become about as strong as 6* ones are now, and will be competing with 8* rank up jumps that themselves are going to start off much higher. It is a way to glue the ends of the progression ladder together in a way that handles overlap better. The rarities overlap less, ascension temporarily bridges most of the gap, but early rank ups have more return on investment to compensate.
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,340 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

This is true... but I guess the counter argument is they could have introduced new rank mats to enter the game at the 7r2 level, designing it as such before even introducing 7* - that way 6r5 and 7r2 wouldn't overlap as they do now, and the overlap would have been with 6r5 and fully levelled-up 7r1.

I think my main point is there is a general perception that things are moving too fast even if it caps out at the same theoretically ie if we went the other way and 7r2 were top of the game with a different set of catalysts and end up at the same PI as the current reality of 7r3 it would feel less rushed and feel like reaching 7r6 would be even further in the future.

I mean we are where we are, and they have pulled the brakes at 7r3 for now, but I just wonder if it would have been better if they had designed the gears to move a bit more slowly from the start of 7*s.
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,340 ★★★★★

They also discussed this on the Twitch livestream today. If i recall correctly, there was a desire that the next rank be attainable from content, rather than just from paid offers (since previously the top new progressions were often from pay to win events like Banquet). They felt Necropolis was the right content to make the first R3 attainable, and since that had already been planned out for release late this year, it did come faster than we may have expected. They did say the remainder of 7* progression will be slowing down.

True but they could have also done all this but planned for necropolis to give the "new catalysts" we would need for the theoretical 7r2 which people could rank to after 7* being in the game a reasonable 8 months.

Battlerealm Brawl grand prize for Fintech could have been the game's first 7r2 etc etc.
  • Wu_Bangerz23Wu_Bangerz23 Member Posts: 993 ★★★
    At the speed it is going 6 stars are already becoming irrelevant. 5 stars were viable for multiple years when 6 stars released.....now unless it's top 3-4 In each class I can't bring myself to rank any 6 stars and I'm already stopping myself from ranking some good 6 stars because they are available as 7 stars (hulk, juggs, mantis). It's just moving way too fast. We should BARELY be breaking into r2 7 stars.....having it move this fast has COMPLETELY wiped 5 stars off the map....they might as well delete anything in the game that is below a 6 star.....I have a mid account at best and I can't play with anything lower than a r3 6 star and it's actually more like a r4 6 star. They either needed to slow down the release of the available 7 star roster or, and this would have been the best option....slow the rank up mats for 7 stars down....nobody should have (3) r3 7 stars 6-7 months after their release. At this pace we'll be talking about 8 stars by this time next year
  • Wu_Bangerz23Wu_Bangerz23 Member Posts: 993 ★★★
    At the pace it is going people are going to be ranking unawakened 7 stars to r4.....you shouldn't be at that point....when you are talking top of the game rank you should be choosing between which one of your 60-70 7 stars you want to invest those rank up mats in....there are people out there that have 15-20 7 stars and 3 of them are r3. That is an absurd ratio
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian
    Bugmat78 said:

I think my main point is there is a general perception that things are moving too fast even if it caps out at the same theoretically ie if we went the other way and 7r2 were top of the game with a different set of catalysts and end up at the same PI as the current reality of 7r3 it would feel less rushed and feel like reaching 7r6 would be even further in the future.

I wouldn’t say this is the majority perception I’ve heard. It is a common one, but not a universal one.

Myself personally, I think it has been fine, and I’ve been far more likely in the past to argue that progression rates have been higher than necessary, not lower. To me, it is never about the numbers, it is about the way the numbers are used. The way 7r1, 7r2, and 7r3 were used to bridge 6* rarity and gate progression into Valiant has been probably the absolute best progression transition in the game, linking rarity transition, rank up resources, and Everest content in one unified whole. That’s honestly never happened in that way before, much less as well as it has this time around.

What happens in the space between major progression jumps, I suppose will determine how well the 7* rarity gets used and what its overall relevance lifespan ends up being. Could be another two years, could be longer.
    Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

Buttehrs said:

Crys23 said:

DNA3000 said:

Bugmat78 said:

Just had a thought..

Yet you get 20 or more 6* crystals a month which probably equal all dupes usually right? Or did you forget about those? That's a ton of 7* shards a month too. Also the first 2 not 3 7* were 10k. You get 7* shards from incursions and Battlegrounds (if you choose to buy them). There are alot more than you claim there to be.
    20 6* dupes a month isnt even half a crystal. And this is something I already had when 7* launched. Yes, I do incursions (I do every piece of content). No, I don't buy shards from BG store (awful value and there aren't that many anyway)
    And my mistake thinking first three were 10k. Gave kabam too much credit.

We've collecting 7* shards and crystals for a year. And my average is about 3.5 a month. But this is with all the extra ones we had (list above. One I didnt mention that is also severly limited now is sigil tokens. Bought 2 first month, now gotta wait 5 months to get another one).
    First, kabam needs to buff rewards to compensate for the 1-time stuff (necro) and limited ones (artifacts, loyalty, sigil tokens). Then they need to add more sources to increase the rate we're getting them.

I hope I'm wrong and kabam starts showering us with 7* shards. But I wont hold my breath.