**KNOWN SPRING OF SORROW ISSUE**
We noticed a number of the Spring of Sorrow objectives aren't working properly, we are investigating and currently working on a potential solution.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Is he not 100% Right

Comments

• Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,529 ★★★★★

You want to be a good MCOC player, don't watch that guy, that's for sure. His bread and butter is clickbait chicken little crybaby BS.

Last I saw he was in gladiator circuit and you were making videos about how you couldn't make it and it was unfair.
    Are you sure defending Prof Hoff is a hill you want to die on? 💀
    I'm not defending him about anything. His channel is not for me at all. But pretty sure he's got the most financially successful YouTube channel by far. I don't understand it but his fanbase gives him 1000s of dollars every month in donations. You watch kt1 for example, who I think everyone will agree contributes more to the community. He has 1000 people watching him do necro and gets 5 bucks in donations. On a random Wednesday when prof just flirts with the girl who isn't his wife for 45 minutes with 50 viewers he makes hundreds in donations, and they happens a few times a week. Week before 4th of July and cyber he gets thousands.

DNA3000 said:

I ain't reading all that, but I'm happy for you, or wow, that sucks, sorry.

I often imagine people walking into libraries, looking around, saying "I ain't reading all that" and then turning around and walking out.
    I just came from costco. Food court don't serve churros no more!

Also, this ain't a Medium thinkpiece, submit your précis and move on.
    If you want churros you need to go to San Antonio. Just don't eat any fish out of that dirty creek.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,279 ★★★★★
    edited January 27

Bugmat78 said:

Bugmat78 said:

7* at a $100+ value seems about right.. weird someone who is always grading offers doesn't see it...

It's actually half a 7* at a little under $130 (if you buy web store units). It takes 4250 units to get 7500 shards.
    Well those offers are meant for people topping off, not getting a full 7*....
    Yes...but it doesn't negate that you were wrong about the cost. I'm not siding with anyone in this free-4-all but pointing out what you said was very inaccurate.
    Doesn't negate the video is stupid, cause its compared to costco and 7* weren't available in 2021...
    I will admit i was wrong in the pricing; but thats cause I find the video stupid.
    Now you know how I feel about the Youtuber... I called it the dumbest mcoc content creator out there... Imagine how I feel abour the people who consume the content....
    Like I said - no skin in this game of proff hoff vs the scoffers (or whatever rhymes :D ), but let's have any shots being fired accurately!
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 4,483 ★★★★★

You want to be a good MCOC player, don't watch that guy, that's for sure. His bread and butter is clickbait chicken little crybaby BS.

Last I saw he was in gladiator circuit and you were making videos about how you couldn't make it and it was unfair.
    Its unfortunately not their worst take.
    I'm sure it's not, I just find it so odd when people white knight for him lol I remember once going into his stream, he was doing EQ with a full team yet the only champ he was using was Herc, never watched his stuff again. I think that alone speaks volumes about the skill and game knowledge the guy actually has, it surprises me some people actually listen to what he has to say about the game 🤣
  • Options

Lmfaooooooo roasted him 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Nobody's laughing except you...
  • Options
    smdam38smdam38 Posts: 1,068 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I'm not defending him about anything. His channel is not for me at all. But pretty sure he's got the most financially successful YouTube channel by far.
    I don't make it a point to financially analyze content creators, nor do I think it is relevant to whatever they have to say, but I suspect no one comes close to Seatin when it comes to financially successful MCOC Youtuber.
    You sound like a bad cop trying to justify a bad stop.
  • Options
    sapyaosapyao Posts: 11
    I LOVE PROFF HOFF!
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 2,053 ★★★★★

I'm sure it's not, I just find it so odd when people white knight for him lol I remember once going into his stream, he was doing EQ with a full team yet the only champ he was using was Herc, never watched his stuff again. I think that alone speaks volumes about the skill and game knowledge the guy actually has, it surprises me some people actually listen to what he has to say about the game 🤣
    He's admitted to being horrible at playing the game though, does not often showcase his game play and DOES NOT recommend anyone contact him or watch his channel for game playing advice. He's not at all the best, but has been playing since the game started and has built a following over the years. His channel isn't for everybody, and that's ok. Not all MCOC content can, or should, be the same.
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 2,053 ★★★★★

Lmfaooooooo roasted him 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Nobody's laughing except you...
    And?? I'm ok with that 🤣 It doesn't bother me AT ALL. But SOMEBODY is feeling some type of way about it....😂
  • Options

He's admitted to being horrible at playing the game though, does not often showcase his game play and DOES NOT recommend anyone contact him or watch his channel for game playing advice. He's not at all the best, but has been playing since the game started and has built a following over the years. His channel isn't for everybody, and that's ok. Not all MCOC content can, or should, be the same.
    Somebody is definitely feeling some type of way if they typed a whole Bible to reply to something that wasn't even aimed at them.
    As for the content, I mean, sure if you want to sit there and watch a guy complain about everything like a Karen and use crutches whenever he actually plays the game good for you. As you can see, most people on the forums here don't lol.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Last I saw he was in gladiator circuit and you were making videos about how you couldn't make it and it was

Somebody is definitely feeling some type of way if they typed a whole Bible to reply to something that wasn't even aimed at them.
    As for the content, I mean, sure if you want to sit there and watch a guy complain about everything like a Karen and use crutches whenever he actually plays the game good for you. As you can see, most people on the forums here don't lol.
    Yes. Your response is pretty long.
  • Options

Maybe he works for Fox News. 🤷

And with one sentence everything about you makes sense.
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,713 ★★★★★

Still isn't as bad as IlacSkillz

He was pretty popular when I started looking for advice for this game, and he almost ruined it. Just awful.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,393 ★★★★★
    I don't usually disparage YouTubers, but I've seen more facts come from Ann Coulter.
    If he would dial down on the clickbait and the sensationalism, I'd be more inticed.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 3,798 ★★★★★
    Prof Hoff: I give this deal an F its terrible, what is wrong with you Kabam!!!
    Proceeds to buy the deal with money from super chats...
  • Options
    edited January 27
    grr

He just posted a video of...Hercules getting nerfed. Obviously just re-reading one of the dumb posts from here today.

Edit -- it's even worse. Didn't even pre-read it.
  • Options
    kus234kus234 Posts: 229 ★★
    What I agree in the video is why increase the price of u buy more? This behaviour is ok with in game currency like Loyalty or Glory but Units are tied to actual money and does not make sense to make additional shards more n more expensive.. also keep in mind when many other offers of shards are launched u get a flat number of shards with a flat price
  • Options
    Dangit now I've been drawn in to his live stream and he keeps talking about herc. All 60 people watching (that's not that many as some had said, which is why I checked in).
  • Options
    ErrangErrang Posts: 75
    DNA3000 said:

As a rule, I do not specifically criticize content creators generally, although I have on occasion decided to respond to specific things said by specific creators. Having said that, the content creator in question has had a dubious historical understanding of game economies, or just economies in general.

Costco doesn't have lower prices because they are in some sense rewarding customers for buying more, and it isnot just a question of volume alone. They actually have lower (per unit) prices because they are *forcing* customers to buy more. Time for advanced Costco economics 301.

First of all, Costco makes a ton of money on membership fees. You can find articles on the internet claiming that 70% of their profits come from membership fees, but that is a bit misleading. That assumes that all the membership dollars go directly to profits, while all the sales revenue goes towards paying all the bills. Which of course doesn't make sense: if the stores didn't exist, Costco couldn't sell memberships. The situation is more synergistic than that. But still, it is a lot of revenue.

Separate from that, Costco doesn't just sell stuff in bulk for low prices out of the goodness of their heart, or to reward the customer for buying in bulk. They actually do it for a very specific reason (or set of them). Costco came to the realization long ago that the problem with general retail is not profit per unit, it is profit per employee. An employee can only ring up so much stuff per hour. Think about how much time it takes for an Apple store employee to generate $10,000 in revenue, verses how much time it takes for the average grocery store employee. In the time it takes for an Apple store employee to ring up a customer spending several hundred dollars, a grocery store employee might ring up ten or twenty things generating about fifty to a hundred bucks in revenue.

You can make more money in two ways. You can sell more things. Or you can sell more expensive things. Apple sells more expensive things. But Costco is limited in what they can sell. They sell crackers and ketchup and hamburger. If they sell expensive crackers, they'd be Whole Foods. And if they try to just sell more things, they would have to hire more staff to ring up more things. Instead, they got clever and decided to sell bigger boxes of crackers, and larger bottles of ketchup. They *force* customers to buy twelve bucks of mustard at a time, and twenty dollars of pretzels, and a metric ton of Doritos. Every second a cashier is ringing up people at Costco, they are ringing up much more dollars per item, more revenue per minute, than at the average Walmart. Bulk is not just giving customers lower prices, it is working in Costco's favor to generate more revenue per employee.

This means Costco can afford to pay its employees more, which means they retain them more, which means they don't have to spend as much money on training. It is a very carefully integrated system where the customers are getting a really good deal (or think they are), so they are willing to spend money on memberships, so they want to make the most of those memberships by doing as much shopping at Costco, so Costco stays busy, so its employees are generating as much revenue as possible, so they can be paid more, so they stay with Costco longer, so they are more efficient employees, so they generate more revenue by selling more low margin items at high volume.

This wouldn't work in a video game, of course, because there are no similar fixed costs to scale around in the same way. There are no employees ringing up customers that game companies need to make efficient.

Are there situations where the price goes up as you buy more? Yes. Those out there who are or were stock traders would know, buying stocks is often like that. The more you buy, the higher the costs can sometimes get. That's because every stock buyer has a corresponding seller. When you buy a few shares, you are buying them from the people most willing to sell. But the more you buy, the more you have to buy from people less willing to sell, and who have a higher price point at which they will sell. So the more you buy, the higher the price can get.

This also happens in commodity markets, where buying very large volumes can increase the price. But it also happens in grocery stores in some cases. We've all seen it. Now on sale, regular $9.99, now $6.99. Limit five. In other words, the first five cost $7, but every one after that costs $10. Why does it cost more if you buy more?

Because the grocery store is using that sale price as either a loss leader or an advertised special to get customers in the door, hoping they will shop and buy other things. This strategy would not work if they consistently allowed the first few customers to buy out their stock, causing everyone else who arrives to discover it is all gone. That would have the opposite effect: customers would now tend to avoid that store if they always saw that happen.

In all three cases - stock prices, commodity volume purchases, and loss-leader grocery store sales - there is a common denominator. There's only so much to go around, and so the last one costs more than the first one. Price goes up as supply dwindles. But what does that have to do with a video game, where supply is infinite?

Because rewards in a video game are not infinite. The developers can make an unlimited number of anything, but doing so floods the economy with stuff and devalues everything. Infinite supply also means zero incremental value. Nothing is worth pursuing if everything is ultra plentiful. Forget about making money, it isn't even worth playing a game at all in which everything has unlimited supply.

So while video game resources can be copied infinitely, in practical terms every resource and reward has a soft limit on how much you can add to the game because every single thing you sell or award to the players devalues everything else by a small amount. There is a huge incentive to not have players buy everything in bulk, and no incentive to give bulk discounts. Price escalation is there to constrain what currencies can buy, and to what extent they can be concentrated into specific resources rapidly. And that constraint is there to fight inflation, to prevent devaluation, and to reduce the need to over-constrain in-game currencies which themselves provide more agency to the players.

None of this is me being an economic genius, by the way. This is all extremely well known stuff. Any economist would know this, any mathematician with any background in game theory (the "Beautiful Mind" kind, not the video game kind) would know this. Anyone who's studied video game economics, or for that matter Costco, would know this. I don't expect every content creator to know this stuff, or for that matter every university lecturer. But it is worth considering that I would expect this type of homework from a journalist reporting on a story.

Interesting, I knew most of this stuff in the back of my mind; I’d add Amazon Prime to that list, but that’s a whole other beast — seems like you get a lot of value with free 2 day shipping but it’s a great recipe to spend hundreds on useless junk you don’t even need, cuz most of that stuff is an impulse buy; and returning it is a chore so you just keep most of it.

Wouldn’t need bulk discounts, but the least they could do is keep the unit cost fixed — doesn’t have to start at 50 units, make it 60 or 75; or w/e amount that would ensure the resources aren’t flooding the game.

Of course there are arguments to be made against that, but to be fair most gamers aren’t familiar with commodity or stock traders — it would understandably infuriate (all hail Hercules 😁) when they go in expecting to spend X units and end up spending 2-3X units.
  • Options
    What are you doing?

Nobody is reading that so you might as well post ffctyccggc.

Respond properly and concisely.
  • Options
    Not sure you know what concisely means.
  • Options
    As for the original post, yes, something is wrong there.
    Is it based on how far in the game you are?
    Maybe.Should it be? Absolutely not.

Same rewards for same exertion and completion.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 3,798 ★★★★★
    smdam38 said:

As for the original post, yes, something is wrong there.
    Is it based on how far in the game you are?
    Maybe.Should it be? Absolutely not.

Same rewards for same exertion and completion.

Do you even know how to use a forum thread?
  • Options
    sapyaosapyao Posts: 11
    crazy yap session
  • Options
    Yep, tell me hoe I’m wrong.