**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Ummmmm. Copyright much? Or is Aang an avenger?

PandingoPandingo Posts: 720 ★★★

Comments

• Options
    DarkGuardianDarkGuardian Posts: 185 ★★
    Lovué this
  • Options
    EdisonLaw said:

I don’t think this is copyright

It's not. Just funny. It's definitely a ripoff. But I don't care. Fun to see. Just blatant. 🤣
  • Options
    Just relaaaaax nobody is suing. That being said my old company was sued by Volkswagen for simply calling something a volksweizenboch so I'm fairly certain a lawyer would find precedence. But I doubt anybody from nickelodeon or netflix would care. Take it easy. Don't be jerks.
  • Options

• Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,994 ★★★★★
    edited February 7
    Pandingo said:

Just relaaaaax nobody is suing. That being said my old company was sued by Volkswagen for simply calling something a volksweizenboch so I'm fairly certain a lawyer would find precedence. But I doubt anybody from nickelodeon or netflix would care. Take it easy. Don't be jerks.

What you just described is not a reference. Precedence could be found for anything, but many things are not copyrightable and are well within the realm of fair use. Song titles are an easy example, unless it's extremely specific you're not going to see there being legal battles over them
  • Options
    Madman_marvinMadman_marvin Posts: 649 ★★★★

Pandingo said:

It's weird that you spotlight this but not the solo objects that are titled with words from a song "I'll do anything for Love" by Meat Loaf.
    Also “Shot to the Ironheart”
  • Options
    FunkFunk Posts: 19
    Jesus wept
  • Options
    o_o said:

Funk said:

Jesus wept

That’s an actual Bible verse - you’re lucky that copyright has expired
    I'm rolling with he's quoting the conflated version from Community which is why i replied with the second half of it lol
  • Options
    Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★
    This would very likely be a Trademark dispute rather than a Copyright. As they are trading on the “goodwill” associated with the brand rather than using large amounts of the actual work.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,690 Guardian
    Pandingo said:

Probably for trademark infringement. Copyright infringement requires actual copying of content. Trademark infringement just requires proving market confusion.

Copyright protects actual expresssion, not ideas. You cannot copyright everything that looks like something you created. JK Rowling cannot copyright the idea of a kid that goes to a magical school, and you cannot copyright the idea of elementally segregated magical schemes. But when you trademark something, you are protecting the use of that mark to identify your business. Someone who does not copy it exactly, but does use a variation of it to evoke your own company for their unauthorized business purposes can be sued, because they are in effect using your business reputation and identity to market their own company by referencing your trademark.
  • Options
    SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,147 ★★★★★
    You guys shouldn't even be using English on here - it's a language I invented and copyrighted way back in the summer of '69...
  • Options
    Toproller89Toproller89 Posts: 476 ★★★
    By this logic, Square Enix should sue Kabam for using Cosmo canyon and seventh heaven as quest names since they clearly rip-off Final Fantasy 7, haha.
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    ahmynuts said:

o_o said:

Funk said:

Jesus wept

I'm rolling with he's quoting the conflated version from Community which is why i replied with the second half of it lol
    Didn't realize it was from a show. Thought you were just intentionally confusing it with the Alexander the Great line by Hans Gruber
  • Options
    edited February 8

ahmynuts said:

o_o said:

Funk said:

Jesus wept

Didn't realize it was from a show. Thought you were just intentionally confusing it with the Alexander the Great line by Hans Gruber
    Oh no, it's from a show lol. It's almost impossible to explain the context but I'll try. The dean of the school was playing a terrible full-body VR game and was able to enlarge the font of a clock by stretching his hands after setting the timezone by shooting a laser at a pillar. After that, she shouted, "And Jesus wept! For there were no more worlds to conquer!"
  • Options
    SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

o_o said:

Funk said:

Jesus wept

I'm not sure the Bible can be copyrighted. It was published before 1924, so in the US it would be in the public domain. But even if you publish a Bible after 1978 claiming that your Bible is not identical to the previous Bibles and thus deserving of protection, current US copyright law specifies that the copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author plus seventy years. As the Bible is considered an inspired iteration of the literal word of God, and God is eternal, under US copyright law I don't believe God can legally receive copyright protection because the US Constitution only allows copyright protection for limited times. God's immortality would seem to preclude US copyright protection.

I am not a copyright lawyer nor do I legally represent the interests of God, so this is somewhat speculative.
    This is what the forums were made for.
  • Options
    edited February 8
    Pandingo said:

EdisonLaw said:

I don’t think this is copyright

It's not. Just funny. It's definitely a ripoff. But I don't care. Fun to see. Just blatant. 🤣
    Instead of "ripoff" try "reference" or even "homage"
  • Options

Completely non incidental but how I'm feeling right now with a simple observation of logic (not a popular method of thinking sometimes) #cherryb!