**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

A suggestion to make Battlegrounds less painful

2»

Comments

• Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,921 ★★★★★

And I'm not biased at all, let it be known the fact I have lost my last 25 matches straight in Diamond 2 has nothing to do with it.

Diamond 2 is not the starting blocks, its the final corner before home straight to GC.
    Kabam have decided that to get to GC you must face all comers in the final tiers.
    I know it's not the starting blocks, my suggestion is aimed more at Bronze and Silver tiers, my problem falls under "skill issue" and I need to build a better roster and come back.
    Bronze and Silver already have curated match making plus you get the 2 points for a win and only lose one for a loss.
    They are not meeting 25k PI accounts at that point.
    I think OPs idea is terrible but I gotta say, prestige based matchmaking is not working properly in those lower tiers either. I started on Silver 3 this season, my prestige is 19k and for the first 7 days all I faced was 10k-13k prestige accounts, either something's wrong with matchmaking or the game mode is indeed losing a ton of players.
    You think my idea is terrible, yet you go on to prove me right.

Another good thing about my idea is beating an AI champ doesn't knock another player down.

And an AI can also step in if it's been too long on the counter and a match hasn't been found against a player, filling in lost time.

What don't you like about it?
    Yes you are right about matchmaking being a problem in the lower tiers, I never said it wasn't. However, the problem with your idea is that AI can't draft strategically or be smart with bans, picking attackers and picking defenders.
    A fight against AI in BGs would be the easiest fight on the planet and a guaranteed win. How do you program AI so it knows that if you place Hulkling on defense it has to use Rintrah and not Future Ant Man? How do you program AI so it knows that if you place Future Ant Man on defense it's easier if it uses Hulkling rather than Rintrah?
    You see the problem now? You have a brain, AI doesn't, and unfortunately for AI that is how you win a BGs match using your brain, not just by playing the game with any champ you want. Maybe we can consider this in 20 years once AI actually surpasses human intelligence but for now, it's a no lol.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,978 Guardian

And I'm not biased at all, let it be known the fact I have lost my last 25 matches straight in Diamond 2 has nothing to do with it.

Diamond 2 is not the starting blocks, its the final corner before home straight to GC.
    Kabam have decided that to get to GC you must face all comers in the final tiers.
    I know it's not the starting blocks, my suggestion is aimed more at Bronze and Silver tiers, my problem falls under "skill issue" and I need to build a better roster and come back.
    Bronze and Silver already have curated match making plus you get the 2 points for a win and only lose one for a loss.
    I think OPs idea is terrible but I gotta say, prestige based matchmaking is not working properly in those lower tiers either. I started on Silver 3 this season, my prestige is 19k and for the first 7 days all I faced was 10k-13k prestige accounts, either something's wrong with matchmaking or the game mode is indeed losing a ton of players.

Another good thing about my idea is beating an AI champ doesn't knock another player down.

And an AI can also step in if it's been too long on the counter and a match hasn't been found against a player, filling in lost time.

Yes you are right about matchmaking being a problem in the lower tiers, I never said it wasn't. However, the problem with your idea is that AI can't draft strategically or be smart with bans, picking attackers and picking defenders.
    A fight against AI in BGs would be the easiest fight on the planet and a guaranteed win. How do you program AI so it knows that if you place Hulkling on defense it has to use Rintrah and not Future Ant Man? How do you program AI so it knows that if you place Future Ant Man on defense it's easier if it uses Hulkling rather than Rintrah?
    You see the problem now? You have a brain, AI doesn't, and unfortunately for AI that is how you win a BGs match using your brain, not just by playing the game with any champ you want. Maybe we can consider this in 20 years once AI actually surpasses human intelligence but for now, it's a no lol.
    We all know that all kabam would do is have the AI choose between 7* R2 sig 200 Bullseye, Onslaught, Photon, Maestro, or Serpent for defense and then just decides that it will get 50k points on offense every round rendering all your defenders useless. (Much easier doing it that way instead of having the servers have to simulate a battle that would always go poorly for the AI)

This creates its own problems where people will just create decks with nuke attackers that counter the annoying defenders and would change the whole dynamic of BGs. At that point, you're just playing a glorified version of Arena.
  • Options
    Grub88Grub88 Posts: 263 ★★

Why does it need to be AI? You could do this with lookup tables. Everyone talking about AI like everything in the game is Artificial Intelligence. Gotta remember it just code written by a humans emulating human decision making processes. They also have the ability to make your opponent have perfect skill. How do you think modders exist if you think that you are just going to easily beat a computer opponent?
  • Options
    Grub88 said:

Why does it need to be AI? You could do this with lookup tables. Everyone talking about AI like everything in the game is Artificial Intelligence. Gotta remember it just code written by a humans emulating human decision making processes. They also have the ability to make your opponent have perfect skill. How do you think modders exist if you think that you are just going to easily beat a computer opponent?
    Okay let's not call it AI for a moment then, let's just call whatever they're using or can use "IT", whatever IT is. How exactly do you program IT so it analyzes a defenders kit and knows which attackers will work and which ones won't?

Let me give you an example here in case this isn't clear enough, let's pretend this match right here:

Was against IT. How do you program IT so that it knows that it shouldn't place Korg on defense if I drafted Bishop cause it's basically a free round for me? Is that even possible? How can you even emulate human intelligence at that level in a video game when we haven't even been able to do that with the actual advanced AI that currently exists.

As @Pikolu said at that point it'd be easier to just allow CPU opponent to always draft the same overpowered defenders and attackers but then we could easily adapt by changing our decks and it would turn into a glorified version of Arena. It just doesn't make sense.
  • Options

Grub88 said:

Okay let's not call it AI for a moment then, let's just call whatever they're using or can use "IT", whatever IT is. How exactly do you program IT so it analyzes a defenders kit and knows which attackers will work and which ones won't?

Let me give you an example here in case this isn't clear enough, let's pretend this match right here:

Was against IT. How do you program IT so that it knows that it shouldn't place Korg on defense if I drafted Bishop cause it's basically a free round for me? Is that even possible? How can you even emulate human intelligence at that level in a video game when we haven't even been able to do that with the actual advanced AI that currently exists.

As @Pikolu said at that point it'd be easier to just allow CPU opponent to always draft the same overpowered defenders and attackers but then we could easily adapt by changing our decks and it would turn into a glorified version of Arena. It just doesn't make sense.
    Ok sure but first lets get one thing straight the amount of work this will be for the benefit is most definitely not worth it and as kabam have said they are already short on staff. Also this will be a simple explanatory solution.

For simplicity lets rule out meta's as this is a changing variable and adds complexity

If you just take into account the champion pool and their strength against the rest of the champion pool you have a lookup table that all 30 of the champs "IT" has in his/her battle deck on the left hand side of the table. On the top of the table you would have every other champ for A-Z. In each element of the array/table you would rank them from 1-230 (or however many champs are in the game) depending on how well they do on defence against other champions 1 being the best defender ~230 being the worst defender.

Now lets use your example above for selecting a defender. The program will search through the champs that "IT" has on it's deck and compare them to each champion on your team, every time it checks it evaluate whether the value of its defence is worse then the last champ it evaluate and stores this value as it ranking. Every champ on "IT's" team then has a score of its worst case scenario as a defender. The champ with the lowest score would then have the best chance of winning and be placed on defence.

A similar evaluation process could be done for offence

Now ranking the champions would be up to whoever builds the table and that would be a human decision, if you want that to be independent of human decision then yes you would have to develop AI to do this (not to get into how AI models are trained or the concept of Artificial General Intelligence)
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,817 ★★★★★
    Love to know when I can expect to "stomp" low rated accounts, haven't fought an "easy win" bg deck in two seasons.
  • Options
    EakomoEakomo Posts: 51

Grub88 said:

with the amount of data kabam has on the matches in bg at all the levels, it will be easy to train any model on picking the right matchups based on the draft pool and which type of players it was trained against. like the korg example, might not work against higher level players but can be a mostly sure win in the lower brackets

I don't agree with the ai comments, and any trained ai model would easily be able to pass for a human in most bgs matches
  • Options
    @Grub88 @Eakomo the amount of effort and resources required to implement something like this (if it really is possible cause I don't know anything about coding or programming) would be massive though. I really don't see Kabam investing in something like this when they can either just motivate people to grow their rosters through offers or set a limit to prestige matchmaking even if it means 15 minute queues. It's just very unlikely due to the fact that these players are probably the minority.
  • Options
    Bee_Rock6Bee_Rock6 Posts: 3
    I'm tired and frustrated with Battlegrounds, I don't bother to play it anymore.
  • Options

@Grub88 @Eakomo the amount of effort and resources required to implement something like this (if it really is possible cause I don't know anything about coding or programming) would be massive though. I really don't see Kabam investing in something like this when they can either just motivate people to grow their rosters through offers or set a limit to prestige matchmaking even if it means 15 minute queues. It's just very unlikely due to the fact that these players are probably the minority.

While I agree I with you that I don’t think the effort would be worth the reward in this case I don’t think you should give out opinions on something you admittedly have no experience in.
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,817 ★★★★★
    I'm all for it as long as the AI uses the same model they give me for autofight.
  • Options
    Grub88 said:

While I agree I with you that I don’t think the effort would be worth the reward in this case I don’t think you should give out opinions on something you admittedly have no experience in.
    I can give out my opinions on anything I want, this is a forum and if you don't like it you can simply ignore my opinions and move on instead of being a baby about it for absolutely no reason. That's the great thing about opinions, you don't have to listen to them if you don't want to.
  • Options
    EakomoEakomo Posts: 51

While I also agree on the added cost implications in adding these bots to the online multilayer mode, especially since its the only online mode in mcoc.
    However, if the aim of the mode is to have as much summors join in the mode and play it, it should be a possible consideration if there is not going to be a major overhaul
  • Options
    Eakomo said:

While I also agree on the added cost implications in adding these bots to the online multilayer mode, especially since its the only online mode in mcoc.
    However, if the aim of the mode is to have as much summors join in the mode and play it, it should be a possible consideration if there is not going to be a major overhaul
    They have mentioned before that they're constantly thinking about BGs changes behind the scenes and just because they don't post about them doesn't mean these talks aren't happening so who knows, perhaps they are working on something cause I'm pretty sure they know participation has been at an all-time low for the past month or so and that's kinda the culprit here.

Then again, they might be waiting for 8.4 to drop. I can't speak for other people but me personally, I haven't been grinding BGs as hard as I used to due to rewards and store being outdated for an account like mine, however once Valiant is obtainable and easier to access for players like me I'm sure the number of players is going to skyrocket. I'm 100% sure there's loads of people waiting eagerly for 8.4 so they can get Paragon because they're too lazy to 100% Necropolis lol.
  • Options
    Toproller89Toproller89 Posts: 622 ★★★

Grub88 said:

I can give out my opinions on anything I want, this is a forum and if you don't like it you can simply ignore my opinions and move on instead of being a baby about it for absolutely no reason. That's the great thing about opinions, you don't have to listen to them if you don't want to.
    I'm guessing it was this sort of attitude that landed you in Kabam jail.
  • Options

Grub88 said:

I'm guessing it was this sort of attitude that landed you in Kabam jail.
    Nothing I typed there is actually breaking any rules, so no. He posted a passive aggressive comment, so did I. Do you normally just let people speak to you in a passive aggressive tone and say nothing? Personally, I don't 😉
  • Options

Grub88 said:

I mean you are just contradicting yourself constantly. If you read my comment it says "i dont think" which would constatute an opinion so you can therefore follow your own advice and ignore it. I think it is clear to everyone who is the baby.

I spent the time to explain something to you and then your comment was basically, I still know nothing about it but its too hard so OP is bad, throwing all shade on something you know nothing about. Crazy
  • Options
    NightheartNightheart Posts: 1,354 ★★★★
    I have a suggestion to make BG less painful... don't play them 😎
  • Options
    Grub88 said:

Grub88 said:

I mean you are just contradicting yourself constantly. If you read my comment it says "i dont think" which would constatute an opinion so you can therefore follow your own advice and ignore it. I think it is clear to everyone who is the baby.

I spent the time to explain something to you and then your comment was basically, I still know nothing about it but its too hard so OP is bad, throwing all shade on something you know nothing about. Crazy
    That's because I willingly chose to reply to you due to the fact I don't really care if you agree or not with my opinions. You on the other hand told me not to post my opinions, if they bother you yes ignore them. Your comment didn't bother me, hence I replied, I don't need to ignore something that isn't bothering me.

That wasn't my reply at all, you try to sound smart but you have trouble reading a paragraph and understanding what it says?
    I said: if doing something like this is possible it's probably not viable for Kabam because they would have to invest too many resources and too much time, to which you agreed. In what part did I say OP is bad after you explained how something like this could work?
  • Options
    VaniteliaVanitelia Posts: 367 ★★★
    I don't think people camping in lower tiers is a "thing" anymore. A lot of people do their 3-5 fights to complete the objectives and then call it a day. There's no reason to rush to GC. You can have a roster of 7r2 and 6r5a and still struggle to string together wins to get to GC. It's how the mode is designed...50/50 win rate.

Lower accounts think that it's all rainbows and sunshine for valiant accounts and it's not. It's a competitive game mode where one slip up or passive AI can be the difference between a W and L. I lost count of how many matches I have lost when we both finished at 100% health but lost by 10 seconds or less.
  • Options
    Rayven5220Rayven5220 Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★
    Vanitelia said:

I don't think people camping in lower tiers is a "thing" anymore. A lot of people do their 3-5 fights to complete the objectives and then call it a day. There's no reason to rush to GC. You can have a roster of 7r2 and 6r5a and still struggle to string together wins to get to GC. It's how the mode is designed...50/50 win rate.

Lower accounts think that it's all rainbows and sunshine for valiant accounts and it's not. It's a competitive game mode where one slip up or passive AI can be the difference between a W and L. I lost count of how many matches I have lost when we both finished at 100% health but lost by 10 seconds or less.

Dead on!

Dude, I went on a 10 game losing streak in diamond 2 because I was in such a "lull" I was just making too many mistakes, or just not doing quote as good as my opponent in a match.

But apparently, according to anybody paragon and lower, we're just camping there because it's easy for variants to get to gc..