2»

Comments

• Standardman1989Standardman1989 Member Posts: 544 ★★★
    And this ? 🤔
  • AtzeKrankAtzeKrank Member Posts: 137
    edited May 6

AtzeKrank said:

AtzeKrank said:

"I'm not s programmer but I'm gonna throw some stuff out there anyway '.

If you need to be an expert on saying something on a topic, you must be a MCOC mastermind how much you always talk about ongoing stuff.

Pikolu I know and for me its just funny that this is "revealed" by accident, imo. Nothing more.
    The problem I have with what you said is that you're trying to invalidate something from someone who works in that field and has a vast amount more experience that what you just googled to put into that comment. I just find it funny that someone who admits they aren't a programmer but trying to correct someone who is or experienced in that field.
    Sorry that you got it this way, but this was never my intention. Somehow this got way more serious that i thought it could get.
    Im nowhere near to downgrade any of Kabams employees nor was my intent to blame anyone. I'm pretty sure this got revealed accidentally and will be cleared someday.
    As DNA said in his post, this happens a lot. It also happens with the group of developers I work with. Some features are layered into a version before being released.

Have you ever wondered how data miners get early info? Because much of that info for future updates are programmed into updates.

I don't think it's there by accident.
    Dude, you can stop here, it's getting annoying. Thanks for your expertise here, but why did you think I wrote "--" in the first place. I know that thinks like this are already implemented but hidden behind some special characters.

And the "accident" would be NOT setting "--" before the code.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,274 Guardian
    AtzeKrank said:

DNA3000 said:

How does either an

iPhone 15 Pro Max

or

Samsung S24 Plus

"Not support higher frame rates".

I think people often forget that everything they read in a program was written by a human.

Work backwards. If I were to make a setting that I knew in advance some devices would support and some would not, it would make sense for me to write the code to say "if the device is on the supported list, show setting. If the device is not on the supported list, show message saying device does not support the setting."

Now, what would I do if the setting was not fully working yet? Which devices would I put on the supported list? And what would the software say when run on any other device?

Also and perhaps more directly, the game text does not say your phone doesn't support higher frame rates. It says your phone does not support higher frame rate settings. Kabam currently does not support those settings on your phone.
    There is a major issue with this. As a programmer you test your code (hopefully) in a test envoirement before releasing it. Or if you wanna gamble exclude the part of your code with "--" or some stuff.
    Im no programmer and this "feature" make me laugh about it, but trying to defend it with "the game text does not say your phone doesn't support higher frame" is also some funny stuff xD
    There are a lot of programming environments where "you test your code" is not as straight forward as this sounds, and this is especially true in game development like this for games as a service. You often have multiple dev pipelines that are not trivial to simply test directly, because you have code that targets certain versions of the software that has a lot of dependencies on other parts of the pipeline and the data side of the house.

But what I'm especially puzzled by is your thinking that it would be odd to point out that the game doesn't say devices don't support higher frame rates, but do not support higher frame rate settings. That's not a semantic quibble. There's a huge difference between supporting something in theory, and supporting the settings to enable that thing, and you don't need to be a software engineer to know that. When the programmer wrote the error message, they were in fact thinking the correct thing which is to say the device doesn't support messing with the settings, not that the device is incapable of supporting the functionality. This is *precisely* the problem people used to complain about when the game would tell the player to check internet settings. That error message was written by a programmer as the default thing to tell the player when there was some problem with connectivity, whether there was actually a problem with their internet or not. Asking the player to check their internet was a guess, and it was often wrong. What the game knew was that network connectivity was disrupted. It did not know where, but it claimed to know where. Unless the player was an experienced person who knew that such error messages are common, and aren't necessarily correct.

You tell a human that their device doesn't support these settings, and they think the game might need to be updated to eventually support them. You tell a human their device doesn't support the features, and they assume the game is telling them something about their phone being bad or inadequate, which might not be true.
  • ErrangErrang Member Posts: 76
    I’d be curious if you could also reduce the frame rate — much of the challenge is reacting to quick actions… if you could reduce that, it might like bowling with the bumpers up.

On the other hand, if we increase the frame rate, would we be able to do things we’ve been seeing the AI do? Like throw SPs without fully recovering from a knockdown, or interrupt combos after holding block for a bit?

Curious if that silly Kang event was testing the frame rates on various devices.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,274 Guardian
    Errang said:

I’d be curious if you could also reduce the frame rate — much of the challenge is reacting to quick actions… if you could reduce that, it might like bowling with the bumpers up.

On the other hand, if we increase the frame rate, would we be able to do things we’ve been seeing the AI do? Like throw SPs without fully recovering from a knockdown, or interrupt combos after holding block for a bit?

Curious if that silly Kang event was testing the frame rates on various devices.

If you play on a slow enough device, the game will not be able to actually draw 30 frames per second. It will have to skip frames, in effect rendering less than 30 fps. But the result of that is unpredictable - things that are supposed to happen at specific moments in time might not happen at all or in odd ways because the frame in which those things were supposed to happen simply doesn’t “exist” for it to happen.

For example, suppose that the moment when you can perform a well-timed block is designed to occur 5 frames after the start of the attack. This presumes the game will actually render and process each of those frames. But suppose the game renders one frame, then the next, then the next, then a fourth frame, and then cannot render or process frame five. What happens? If it skips frame five and jumps to frame six, not only would you see a jump in the visuals of the game, you might miss the well-timed block window and your parry attempt would fail. This is an oversimplification, but that sort of thing actually did happen in the game in the past (and probably still happens to some degree today).

The Kang thing was almost certainly not messing with actual frame rates. It was simply speeding up or slowing down the actions being taken. The actual frame rate of the game has nothing to do with how fast or slow anything is moving. Your TV runs at 30 fps or higher, but movie projectors run at 24 fps for most movies shot on film. That doesn’t mean the things in movies move faster than the things on TV. That refers to the native speed at which individual frames of display are rendered. In fact the problem of making the game run at higher speeds than 30fps are roughly analogous to the problems inherent in trying to show movies filmed at 24fps natively on TVs that render at 30fps (technically 29.96 fps). For reference, see the process known as telecine.
  • ErrangErrang Member Posts: 76
    DNA3000 said:

If you play on a slow enough device, the game will not be able to actually draw 30 frames per second. It will have to skip frames, in effect rendering less than 30 fps. But the result of that is unpredictable - things that are supposed to happen at specific moments in time might not happen at all or in odd ways because the frame in which those things were supposed to happen simply doesn’t “exist” for it to happen.

Right, the game will only be “easy” if no frames are being skipped — invisible attacks suck worse than attacks that just light up the whole screen, lol
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,232 Guardian
    (consolidating Kabam remarks from other FPS threads, and a possibly related new pop-up msg someone got..)

No, but the game won't really work at all. When every interaction is based on frames, you can't just "bump up the FPS". I would love to see a 60 FPS MCoC, but it will need work. It's not just a switch that can be flipped.

(RE: new “Frame Rate” text in Game Settings)

The option is not available at this time. Believe me, if it was, we would be making a lot more noise about it. We'll probably remove that text in the next release because it's just causing confusion. Right now, it's just something we're experimenting with, and we don't have any solid information on.

Below msg courtesy of @Wayntos , they got it a couple times when they tried to login to game recently.
    Something related to the FPS experimenting ?

“Non Optional Refresh Error on Connect”