**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

If the titan pool is going to be so meh, we need more opportunities to open them

Comments

• Options
    jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,205 ★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I counted at least 8 really good options off the top of my head in that Crystal.

Respectfully the OP has 47 yea’s to 13 nay’s,.,i can see where he’s coming from.
    He’s not questioning the great champs you can get,..but rather the value of the crystal itself if you have irrelevant or unrealistic champs in it.
    Spinning a Titan crystal shouldn’t be considered a “bonus”,..and it also shouldn’t be a “total loss”.
    Blade,..Thing,..or Nova,..from a Titan,.,is a total waste and loss imo.
    But on the bright side there is an easy solution,…just don’t put garbage in the Titan crystal.
    See how easy that was?
    They stated themselves that the numbers are how they made the Crystal more advantageous, not a Crystal full of OP Champs. We're a decade into this game, and it still puzzles me how people are in denial about the fact that most everything is based on RNG when it comes to Champ acquisition. In that amount of time, I've seen people be hyper critical of Champs all the while, simply because they're comparing all Champs to the ones they think are the best. The reality is, there are a scarce few in comparison that have very little use. Now, this may be exacerbated by the fact that there are a number of very powerful Champs out lately, but the value of the other Champs, in my opinion, has been somewhat understated.
    Why are you talking about crystal RNG when the complaint is about the champs in the pool being meh? Nobody's in denial about the RNG aspect of crystals it's the fact that none of the champs (other than Serpent) that were added to the last pool and this one are meta relevant.
    The value of the champs is a matter of opinion, but both the thread title and the discussion has revolved around a presumption that because the crystal is hard to get, the pulls people get from it should always be as valuable as they want.

That’s specifically contrary to the design intent of the crystal. Titans were explicitly intended to *break* that notion. If you think that, the Titan is supposed to convince you otherwise. The original intent of the featured crystals was to be a crystal where some players got some of the things that they were targeting in the crystal, but the players twice broke the crystal by simply trading basic pulls for featured pulls, practically guaranteeing that they would pull at least some of, if not all of their targets.

The Titan crystal simultaneously is supposed to be hard to get and have a sufficiently diverse pool that players would not just get whatever they want. The idea that it should either be easy to get or have every champ be what the player wants implies the player should always have full control over at least some aspect of their drops. The game does not allow for that level of player agency in champion pulls.

In other words, the devs *intend* for players to think the crystal is either too rare or insufficiently curated. Players want a lot of things, but the devs explicitly avoid giving all of those things. This is one of those things the devs want players to have, but they will not give. Ironically, this thread is positive feedback.

Yeah I know. Economic design reality is very unpopular. Flag away.
    For BGs it isn't a matter of opinion, the kits are what they are, they're either good mid or bad.

I didn't say we need op champs only, neither did I say that because of the value of the crystal only good champs should be in there or else they should be easy to acquire these are all assumptions that you just pulled out of nowhere basically. However, currently most of the stuff in there is mid garbage (at least for BGs purposes, can guarantee you most Celestial players will agree) and personally I think there should be a little bit more balance when it comes to older champs.
    So you want a Crystal designed for what you personally need? That's interesting.
    Well, I'd say competitive players are the only ones opening Titans in any meaningful capacity. Those competitive players are the majority of your spenders. Those spenders generate revenue that allow the ability to upkeep a game that everyone else gets to play and/or moan about free of charge. You barely put anything noteworthy to chase in Titans, and maybe those competitive players don't stay competitive much longer, because what's the point (Vega has brought this up a couple of times in some of his recent vids)? You've got to keep your investors happy, otherwise the golden eggs stop and eventually there's nothing for nobody.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,890 ★★★★

EdisonLaw said:

@ItsClobberinTime @Polygon
    Symbiote Supreme is still super good against anyone with buffs and who can bleed. Nova, needs high sig on attack but can still be good on defense (unless they have a mystic)

Most 7* mystics are, what does he bring to the table that others don't? I'll wait lol.
    It's always like this isn't it. There is always a better champ who outperforms another. When people see champions they tend to choose the absolute best.
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 4,008 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

EdisonLaw said:

@ItsClobberinTime @Polygon
    Symbiote Supreme is still super good against anyone with buffs and who can bleed. Nova, needs high sig on attack but can still be good on defense (unless they have a mystic)

Most 7* mystics are, what does he bring to the table that others don't? I'll wait lol.
    It's always like this isn't it. There is always a better champ who outperforms another. When people see champions they tend to choose the absolute best.
    It is, now I'm not saying SymSupreme is trash and useless cause he's not, I've seen some crazy things on certain metas but 75% of the time you won't be using him in BGs unless you have a small roster and he's one of your first 7*.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,375 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I counted at least 8 really good options off the top of my head in that Crystal.

Respectfully the OP has 47 yea’s to 13 nay’s,.,i can see where he’s coming from.
    He’s not questioning the great champs you can get,..but rather the value of the crystal itself if you have irrelevant or unrealistic champs in it.
    Spinning a Titan crystal shouldn’t be considered a “bonus”,..and it also shouldn’t be a “total loss”.
    But on the bright side there is an easy solution,…just don’t put garbage in the Titan crystal.
    See how easy that was?
    They stated themselves that the numbers are how they made the Crystal more advantageous, not a Crystal full of OP Champs. We're a decade into this game, and it still puzzles me how people are in denial about the fact that most everything is based on RNG when it comes to Champ acquisition. In that amount of time, I've seen people be hyper critical of Champs all the while, simply because they're comparing all Champs to the ones they think are the best. The reality is, there are a scarce few in comparison that have very little use. Now, this may be exacerbated by the fact that there are a number of very powerful Champs out lately, but the value of the other Champs, in my opinion, has been somewhat understated.
    Why are you talking about crystal RNG when the complaint is about the champs in the pool being meh? Nobody's in denial about the RNG aspect of crystals it's the fact that none of the champs (other than Serpent) that were added to the last pool and this one are meta relevant.
    The value of the champs is a matter of opinion, but both the thread title and the discussion has revolved around a presumption that because the crystal is hard to get, the pulls people get from it should always be as valuable as they want.

That’s specifically contrary to the design intent of the crystal. Titans were explicitly intended to *break* that notion. If you think that, the Titan is supposed to convince you otherwise. The original intent of the featured crystals was to be a crystal where some players got some of the things that they were targeting in the crystal, but the players twice broke the crystal by simply trading basic pulls for featured pulls, practically guaranteeing that they would pull at least some of, if not all of their targets.

The Titan crystal simultaneously is supposed to be hard to get and have a sufficiently diverse pool that players would not just get whatever they want. The idea that it should either be easy to get or have every champ be what the player wants implies the player should always have full control over at least some aspect of their drops. The game does not allow for that level of player agency in champion pulls.

In other words, the devs *intend* for players to think the crystal is either too rare or insufficiently curated. Players want a lot of things, but the devs explicitly avoid giving all of those things. This is one of those things the devs want players to have, but they will not give. Ironically, this thread is positive feedback.

For BGs it isn't a matter of opinion, the kits are what they are, they're either good mid or bad.

I didn't say we need op champs only, neither did I say that because of the value of the crystal only good champs should be in there or else they should be easy to acquire these are all assumptions that you just pulled out of nowhere basically. However, currently most of the stuff in there is mid garbage (at least for BGs purposes, can guarantee you most Celestial players will agree) and personally I think there should be a little bit more balance when it comes to older champs.
    So you want a Crystal designed for what you personally need? That's interesting.
    Correction: what I and a lot of other people need hence all the agrees and comments.
    Back to strawmanning GW? I see.
    That's not meant to be a strawman. It's a clarification of what you're asking for, and how it differs from having Crystals based on RNG. Hence my redirect about RNG.
    This isn't my first discussion on these things. They come out with super powerful Champs, and some people think the rest are useless. Then a "state of the game" wave ensues, and the needs of the meta are pleaded with. I said it before and I'll say it again. Comparing all the Champs to the strongest ones is a losing game. You're inevitably going to feel disappointed with anything but.
    I'm not totally obtuse. There are indeed some Champs that don't hit the mark. Which is the whole point of a program to revisit them. I'm just not on board with a mass exodus of Champs, as if there is some absence of usable options.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★★
    I've been pretty lucky with titans but I agree with the feeling that there are far too many old champs that need awakening to be very relevant in it. A new champ that needs awakening at least has the allure of, you know, being new. Older champs like Thing, blade etc should be really limited in how many are in there at the same time.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

Correction: what I and a lot of other people need hence all the agrees and comments.
    That's not meant to be a strawman. It's a clarification of what you're asking for, and how it differs from having Crystals based on RNG. Hence my redirect about RNG.
    This isn't my first discussion on these things. They come out with super powerful Champs, and some people think the rest are useless. Then a "state of the game" wave ensues, and the needs of the meta are pleaded with. I said it before and I'll say it again. Comparing all the Champs to the strongest ones is a losing game. You're inevitably going to feel disappointed with anything but.
    I'm not totally obtuse. There are indeed some Champs that don't hit the mark. Which is the whole point of a program to revisit them. I'm just not on board with a mass exodus of Champs, as if there is some absence of usable options.
    Again, nobody on this thread is asking for that, we're simply asking for the Titan to be more balanced cause more than half the champs in it right now are terrible or just not good enough for BGs which isn't subjective. I don't know where you got this notion that we only want broken champs, we don't, we just want balance.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

Again, nobody on this thread is asking for that, we're simply asking for the Titan to be more balanced cause more than half the champs in it right now are terrible or just not good enough for BGs which isn't subjective. I don't know where you got this notion that we only want broken champs, we don't, we just want balance.
    It IS subjective. It's the Titan Crystal, not the BG Crystal.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

It IS subjective. It's the Titan Crystal, not the BG Crystal.
    Not the crystal, the champs. You say how good or bad a champ is is subjective, I'm telling you when it comes to BGs it's not.
  • Options
    Buttehrs said:

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

Bgs isn't the only game mode though. You can argue all you want it's the most important but that's not the case for every person playing the game.
    But it is for the majority, that's why you and everyone else against this is getting ratioed hard on this thread alone.
  • Options
    DorkyDorky Posts: 185
    So do I not open a titan?
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 5,034 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

Bgs isn't the only game mode though. You can argue all you want it's the most important but that's not the case for every person playing the game.
    But it is for the majority, that's why you and everyone else against this is getting ratioed hard on this thread alone.
    You assume it's the majority. Maybe the majority on the forums or reddit perhaps. But unless kabams comes right out and shows you definitive proof that the majority of players think bgs is the most important mode, it's all just assumption. And you know what they say when you assume things.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,890 ★★★★
    Dorky said:

You can but it’s better to wait
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 2,423 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

Dorky said:

You can but it’s better to wait
    For how long though? Once the current pool rotates out it could get worse (losing bullseye, onslaught, and skull next time). Arcade and Northstar are both mid af but we’ll have to see how July shapes up to be
  • Options
    Joker1976Joker1976 Posts: 540 ★★★
    It’s not about any single game mode.
    It’s about very average champions that either aren’t relevant at all in the game (such as blade).
    Or very average champions that require a huge investment of 7 star signature stones in numbers that are not currently available in the game.
    I know some people are trying to change the narrative by saying it’s “subjective” what champs are good lol,.:or that people wan’t an unrealistic crystal.
    That is not the case,..just a better balanced crystal with more realistic champions to invest in.
    Especially since it’s the “Titan” crystal.
  • Options
    The Crystals are simple. If you want the Champs, open them. If you're not willing to risk it, don't. If you don't care who you pull, go for it. It's not rocket science.
    There is no getting around pulling Champs we don't want in a game that uses RNG to distribute Champions. We can hoard, play the numbers game, pick and choose, but inevitably we're going to pull something that's not on our short list
  • Options
    Joker1976Joker1976 Posts: 540 ★★★
    That,..or they can make better (more realistic) choices,..when considering champions for the Titan crystal.
    That’s not “rocket science” either lol.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

You assume it's the majority. Maybe the majority on the forums or reddit perhaps. But unless kabams comes right out and shows you definitive proof that the majority of players think bgs is the most important mode, it's all just assumption. And you know what they say when you assume things.
    What are 90% of all mcoc streams on Twitch and YouTube about? What are most tier lists based on? Arena? War? Incursions? Raids? There's a reason most of them are about Battlegrounds and I can guarantee you it's not because most people are interested in other game modes lmao if you want to be delusional and pretend it isn't the most relevant game mode currently then go ahead, stay inside that echo chamber but it won't change the fact that BGs is the most relevant game mode currently.
    The fact that you're getting ratioed on the forums is just a plus, not the the sole reason.
  • Options
    WOLF_LINKWOLF_LINK Posts: 1,366 ★★★★
    Beewee said:

Someone out there will tell you these champs are not as bad as you think cause well… every champ has its lover. I think thing is good but good as in basic good not titan good. Heart goes out to the people who pull duds and then have 5 people telling them the champ they pulled is underrated. 🙏

Blade and Thing are solid Champs. I pulled both of them, even dupe for Blade.
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 5,034 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

What are 90% of all mcoc streams on Twitch and YouTube about? What are most tier lists based on? Arena? War? Incursions? Raids? There's a reason most of them are about Battlegrounds and I can guarantee you it's not because most people are interested in other game modes lmao if you want to be delusional and pretend it isn't the most relevant game mode currently then go ahead, stay inside that echo chamber but it won't change the fact that BGs is the most relevant game mode currently.
    The fact that you're getting ratioed on the forums is just a plus, not the the sole reason.
    Last time I checked, the vast majority of players don't even use forums, YouTube, twitch etc. They just simply play the game. And if you think getting "ratioed" on some forum means anything to anyone, you spend too much time here.
  • Options
    Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

Last time I checked, the vast majority of players don't even use forums, YouTube, twitch etc. They just simply play the game. And if you think getting "ratioed" on some forum means anything to anyone, you spend too much time here.
    Last time I checked? How did you check? Did you ask the players in game? Lmao keep going, you're too funny mate.
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,804 ★★★★★

You can always *ahem* HOARD your Titan shards until the pool has a decent amount of champs you actually want, or don't mind getting. That way, the chances of your shards being completely wasted on a trash champ are reduced.

Just my .02

I bet I know who laughed at this
    👉🏽@captain_rogers 😂
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 5,551 ★★★★★

You can always *ahem* HOARD your Titan shards until the pool has a decent amount of champs you actually want, or don't mind getting. That way, the chances of your shards being completely wasted on a trash champ are reduced.

Just my .02

I bet I know who laughed at this
    👉🏽@captain_rogers 😂
    No I disagreed 😎😈
  • Options
    altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,335 ★★★★

Buttehrs said:

Buttehrs said:

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

As a single data point, I don’t watch any MCOC streams about BGs.

It may be popular, but that doesn’t mean BGs is as popular in game as a mode. People watch esports all the time without actually playing the game. They watch because it is entertaining.

BGs is more entertaining compared to all the other game modes, since it is (1) competition, (2) skillful play, (3) strategizing, (4) short matches, and most importantly, (5) content about BGs can be created 24/7 pretty easily.

Compare that to new champion videos happening for a week every month, a Spring of Sorrow video for two days every two weeks, and that is another explanation of why there is so much BG content on streams.

It totally makes sense that content creators will create BG content, and that players will watch that content for entertainment . In that sense, it is relevant.

But the number of players actually playing BGs compared to those who don’t, compared to those who watch the MCOC streams, compared to players using the forums? Its not as clearcut as you say it is.
  • Options
    IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,271 ★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

If that's the intent then what's the desired outcome of that intent? I've anecdotally seen some feedback that players just stop caring about titan crystals, don't open them anymore until there's enough champs that they perceive as desirable (I thought Kabam didn't want to incentivise hoarding?), or are so dissapointed with their pulls they stop playing the game as intensely as they did. This is what I read on the forums and seen on different line chats.

Those don't seem like a positive outcome that benefits kabam so I'm really wondering: if that's the intent then what's the intended outcome?
    @DNA3000 Just a tag because I'm curious what your speculations are about the intended outcome and don't want you to forget this thread :smile:
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,989 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Joker1976 said:

See how easy that was?

If that's the intent then what's the desired outcome of that intent? I've anecdotally seen some feedback that players just stop caring about titan crystals, don't open them anymore until there's enough champs that they perceive as desirable (I thought Kabam didn't want to incentivise hoarding?), or are so dissapointed with their pulls they stop playing the game as intensely as they did. This is what I read on the forums and seen on different line chats.

Those don't seem like a positive outcome that benefits kabam so I'm really wondering: if that's the intent then what's the intended outcome?
    @DNA3000 Just a tag because I'm curious what your speculations are about the intended outcome and don't want you to forget this thread :smile:
    Sorry I failed to respond. I can't speak for the devs, but in my opinion, the rationale for the Titan crystal and the intended player behavioral outcome has to do with the fact that it replaces the old featured crystals, and Kabam in fact explicitly articulated this position when the Titan was introduced. It would be useful to go over what drove the change from featureds to Titans for context.

The previous featured crystal had two flaws. The first was that they were purchased with the same currency as basics. The reason why that's a problem is that it presents a choice the devs did not want players to have to make: to choose whether to open basics in general, or forgo basics in order to, in effect, manipulate the odds of the featured crystal. The featured crystal was always intended to be, at least in part, the in-game way to earn chances at early access to champs (the paid offers being the monetization path to that early access). But the *original* featured crystal had a problem. It was basically five to one odds to get the featured champ. All you had to do was save enough shards and you could almost guarantee getting the featured immediately. This encouraged shifting shards from basics to featureds to specifically overpower the odds and eliminate the random nature of the crystal.

Why this is a problem is that the devs intend the featured to only provide a chance for the featured, and the only way to regulate that chance is to either adjust the odds of the crystal, or reduce the amount of shards available. But since the shards for the featured are the same as for basic crystals, if they reduce the supply of shards, that impacts everyone everywhere, not just featured hoarders. They couldn't really constrain those.

Their first attempt to address this was to switch from the old school featureds to the previous iteration, the one with 24 champs in the pool. This was an attempt to tackle the problem from the odds side of the equation. If they didn't want to starve players of shards, they had to reduce the odds of getting the featured champ from the crystal. They chose to do that by creating a crystal with six featured and eighteen basic champs. This reduces the odds of pulling any one specific champ from five to one to 24 to 1. However, what I believe they clearly saw from the data was that this did not deter the players from hoarding 6* shards and using huge numbers of pulls to still target featured champs quickly. I was one of those people in fact. And over time they continued to increase the supply of 6* shards (as part of the normal process of expanding the game economy over time) which made it even easier to hoard up enough shards to once again essentially overwhelm the crystal odds with pulls.

This continued behavior exposed the second flaw with the featureds, which was that they weren't really strong incentive rewards. If the players are saving and sitting on hundreds of thousands of shards waiting for the next featured crystal, putting a featured crystal into the rewards for a piece of content would have no real incentive power. In fact, the second iteration 24 champ featured was in many ways even less valuable than the previous iteration one in five featured crystal for this reason. Game inflation made it possible to open 6* featured crystals in numbers impossible with the original featured crystal, and made the value of any one featured crystal very low.

(I once opened 72 featureds in a single cycle, and that was not a singular aberration. I also opened 69 crystals in a different cycle).

The Titan crystal, and the system surrounding it, is intended to address both problems: eliminate the option that allows players to shift basic currency into featured currency, which forces the devs to continuously decide whether they are giving too much basic currency, and to ensure the Titan crystal's value isn't obliterated by players saving up for huge numbers of them. Titan crystal currency is completely different from 7* currency, and in fact the best way to get Titan crystal currency is to *burn* 7* shards, not hoard them. And because Titan crystals cannot be purchased in large quantities, they still have significant incentive value in the game. Very few players can claim to have so many Titans they don't really care if they get one more.

The question you're asking is: given that some players do not like the Titan structure, don't value it much, or even check out of the pursuit of them, what was the intent of the developers in terms of player behavior. And I believe the answer is, in spite of some players expressing those feelings, the vast majority do not agree, or at least behave differently. I don't have access to spending or activity data, but my suspicion is that across the entire playerbase, players value Titans more than they did Featureds. They get fewer, they are harder to get, so they appreciate all opportunities to get more. Even the title of this thread bears this out. When players say they need more Titans, that's the intended purpose of Titans. You didn't see players begging for more featureds.

People say the Titan crystal is meh, but if it was meh we wouldn't be talking about it. The featured crystal was meh. It wasn't that it had no value, because if it didn't players wouldn't bother with it. Rather, it had pedestrian value. It was just a thing to use to get the featured champs, in the same way the login calendar gives units. But players *feel* the Titan, in a way they didn't feel the featured. They think if only they had one more pull, or five more, they might get what they want. They chase Titan shards, and they post threads saying the players deserve more shards.

In my opinion, that was the intended outcome of the Titan.