How would you nerf serpent?

Comments

• jcphillips7jcphillips7 Member Posts: 1,381 ★★★★
    edited August 6

Nerf him by releasing counters 😈

By all seriousness, obviously people will be pissed if they nerf serpent on defense, cuz he is a dud in bg attack. So maybe buff him a bit in bg attack and nerf him on bg defense, like let him start with 2 dread in bg attack, and 8 cull force charges. At the same time let him have 2 dread on defense, and remove his fate seal immunity and neutralize bypass mechanism.

While in theory that would be cool adding to the 4 Cul charges he already gets, I feel that would be a little unfair for other champs that need something as well. I feel they couldn't (or more so shouldn't) increase the benefits Serpent starts with as an attacker without also giving champs like Corvus a charge or 2 to start with in BGs to keep them relevant as well. And this is coming from someone who loves using Serpent offensively.
  • ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,894 ★★★★★
    The thing that annoyed me when I fought him with Spidey Supreme recently is that he could survive SP3 after SP3 after SP3 as long as the death immunity was up. I'd prefer if that ability worked like either Hercules' immortality, where you get KO'd by an SP3, or maybe Iceman's ice armor, which can prevent you from dying from an SP3 but then disappears. Iceman's armor comes back after a while so he can technically survive several SP3s, but I don't think the Serpent needs to be able to do that.

Obviously this was a bit of a fringe case - Spidey Supreme against someone who has a chance to gain an armor up buff whenever you strike them gets just as insane power gain as the Serpent, which is why I soared past my intended SP2 and ended up throwing SP3s back-to-back-to-back - but it still highlighted how absolutely broken that death immunity is.

I just wish there was some caveat to it. I don't really care about what it is, as long as it's there. Otherwise you basically can't hit him for 8 seconds because you're scared that you'll push him to his SP3. At least with Hercules, you're incentivized to keep attacking him since his immortality is paused while he attacks you. Yes, it drags out the end of the fight, but you don't have to back off and block special after special for the duration of his immortality.

But other than that quibble, I don't really have any complaints. I'm sure we'll find ways to defeat him eventually, as we always do. You mentioned yourself that Bullseye has his own weaknesses that have made him somewhat manageable, but it wasn't that long ago since the community was crying about him being too difficult. Sure, he's getting a slight nerf in a few days, and it's possible that the Serpent gets one as well, but if Bullseye stayed largely the same after his rebalancing, I doubt we'll see too big of a nerf for the Serpent.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,395 ★★★★★
    With every great defender, follows a counter or two. We'll be fine with Serpent as he is.
  • Average_DesiAverage_Desi Member Posts: 421 ★★★

I would be STUNNED if he gets touched

For a moment I thought he had an ability to stun you when you made contact
  • Average_DesiAverage_Desi Member Posts: 421 ★★★
    His powe gain. Everything else is fine.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,008 ★★★★★

With every great defender, follows a counter or two. We'll be fine with Serpent as he is.

There is a difference between “tough defender” and this. He reduces the impact of almost all damage sources, pretty much ignores ability power reduction, and if you get him down you have to survive an immortality timer that’s pretty hard to fail, and gives even more broken power gain.

Oh and for fun you MUST take chip damage from the removal of a mastery.

His counters would need to be equally broken to be a hard counter, and tbh they’d probably end up making Hercules look like Groot and break the game.
  • ArmageddønArmageddøn Member Posts: 823 ★★★
    Don't touch my boy serpent

Just wait for champs who are direct counters to him, i know a bunch of mystics which do great against him and there will be more
  • UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Member Posts: 1,302 ★★★★
    The only way Serpent is getting "nerfed" is by a future champion being released that counters all of his junk.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,861 ★★★★★

Nerf him by releasing counters 😈

By all seriousness, obviously people will be pissed if they nerf serpent on defense, cuz he is a dud in bg attack. So maybe buff him a bit in bg attack and nerf him on bg defense, like let him start with 2 dread in bg attack, and 8 cull force charges. At the same time let him have 2 dread on defense, and remove his fate seal immunity and neutralize bypass mechanism.

While in theory that would be cool adding to the 4 Cul charges he already gets, I feel that would be a little unfair for other champs that need something as well. I feel they couldn't (or more so shouldn't) increase the benefits Serpent starts with as an attacker without also giving champs like Corvus a charge or 2 to start with in BGs to keep them relevant as well. And this is coming from someone who loves using Serpent offensively.
    Corvus wasn't released when bg was there. They usually don't buff old champs that easily but it would be great if cg starts with 2 charges.
  • Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Member Posts: 1,687 ★★★★★
    edited August 6
    Emilia90 said:

He won't get touched, Photon, Bullseye, Onslaught all got little or no tuning. He won't either.

All of those other champs have a lot of counters and aren’t a guaranteed win on defense. Photon is getting nuked left and right by any decent skill shruggers and Onslaught can be countered by pretty much anyone and nuked in under 50 seconds. I’ve fought a lot of the top people in GC and pretty much no one I’ve seen has ever done serpent solidly unless they draft Kushala or Chavez and even then they usually die or lose the round
    I kill him everytime in around 30-40 seconds with Wiccan, sorcerer supreme, sym supreme and Chavez. Sinister I've done it in 70s ish provided AI doesn't hold block to sp3 during death immunity.

The question isn't do I think he needs to be rebalanced, because that would be a yes, I think onslaught and bullseye needed tuning too. My answer was do I think he will, and that sadly, is a no.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

He won't get touched, Photon, Bullseye, Onslaught all got little or no tuning. He won't either.

All of those other champs have a lot of counters and aren’t a guaranteed win on defense. Photon is getting nuked left and right by any decent skill shruggers and Onslaught can be countered by pretty much anyone and nuked in under 50 seconds. I’ve fought a lot of the top people in GC and pretty much no one I’ve seen has ever done serpent solidly unless they draft Kushala or Chavez and even then they usually die or lose the round
    I kill him everytime in around 30-40 seconds with Wiccan, sorcerer supreme, sym supreme and Chavez. Sinister I've done it in 70s ish provided AI doesn't hold block to sp3 during death immunity.

The question isn't do I think he needs to be rebalanced, because that would be a yes, I think onslaught and bullseye needed tuning too. My answer was do I think he will, and that sadly, is a no.
    Lmao you are not killing him in 40 secs with any of those, not unless there are a ton of buffs supercharging them or you're a punching down a rank or two.
  • Sachhyam257Sachhyam257 Member Posts: 1,157 ★★★★
    I just took him up to r3 sig30 knowing the risk of a rebalance is on the horizon. I also have a 6*r5 ascended one; but alas, the aura of silver stars on the purple 7* border is too strong.

Kit-wise and visually, he's one of my absolute fav champs in the game. I hope they don't nerf him too hard, I really don't want to see his offensive potential and utility suffer as a result.

Maybe slight tweaks to his dmg reduction amount and death immunity power gain rate? Idk. He should still remain one of the best defenders after the nerf, but not as busted as he is now. Hoping they strike that balance well.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,054 ★★★★★

I just took him up to r3 sig30 knowing the risk of a rebalance is on the horizon. I also have a 6*r5 ascended one; but alas, the aura of silver stars on the purple 7* border is too strong.

Kit-wise and visually, he's one of my absolute fav champs in the game. I hope they don't nerf him too hard, I really don't want to see his offensive potential and utility suffer as a result.

Maybe slight tweaks to his dmg reduction amount and death immunity power gain rate? Idk. He should still remain one of the best defenders after the nerf, but not as busted as he is now. Hoping they strike that balance well.

Yeah all he needs is minor changes. Just lower dread to 2 on defense and raise dread to two in Battlegrounds attack, and he’s good to go. I love using him on attack so I wish the nerf isn’t too much
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,009 ★★★★★

My god this guy really has to be the biggest apologist I have ever seen on these forums. Every single time the community says something, he's against them.
    Wait till you have a conversation with that scuffed Ironman guy 💀
  • Itachi_11Itachi_11 Member Posts: 13
    I wouldn’t lol. Each time you fight him he gets easier, kushala/chavez ruin him. Doom can do it, Tigra can do it as can rintrah. Maybe stop banning him in Bgs and actually try fight him for once? I found once I stopped banning him i got better as a player. That’s why i always laugh when people ban hard defenders, how are you going to better yourself?
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    Itachi_11 said:

I wouldn’t lol. Each time you fight him he gets easier, kushala/chavez ruin him. Doom can do it, Tigra can do it as can rintrah. Maybe stop banning him in Bgs and actually try fight him for once? I found once I stopped banning him i got better as a player. That’s why i always laugh when people ban hard defenders, how are you going to better yourself?

Weird, even Celestial players complain about it and agree he is overtuned, are you saying Celestial players suck? Lmao
    Itachi_11 said:

Lol that’s not how it works. Have you fought him yourself without a counter?
    Weird, even Celestial players complain about it and agree he is overtuned, are you saying Celestial players suck? Lmao

Weird, celestial players complain about anything when they lose any match lmao.
    EdisonLaw said:

Itachi_11 said:

If you have a counter to use why would you not use it lmao?
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,395 ★★★★★
    BigBlueOx said:

There is a difference between “tough defender” and this. He reduces the impact of almost all damage sources, pretty much ignores ability power reduction, and if you get him down you have to survive an immortality timer that’s pretty hard to fail, and gives even more broken power gain.

Oh and for fun you MUST take chip damage from the removal of a mastery.

His counters would need to be equally broken to be a hard counter, and tbh they’d probably end up making Hercules look like Groot and break the game.
    This is how Kabam operates. Release a tough defender, then a few months later release a counter, which you will feel a need to acquire.

If the issue is BGs, then ban Serpent. If it is AW then you have a team of people to produce a counter, plus boosts and such.

No nerf needed.

Itachi_11 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Itachi_11 said:

If you have a counter to use why would you not use it lmao?
    In some cases you may not have access to a counter