How many more years you think the game will last ? And how long have you been playing

2»

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,292 Guardian
    I've been playing since 2015. Throughout the 2000s I was an MMO player. I played *a lot* of MMOs, many of them throughout their life cycles. In my experience online games like this most often die when they stagnate, either in terms of the development put into them or the new players they continue to attract or both (often a decline in one causes a decline in the other).

I don't see any sign that MCOC is getting starved for development resources, and I see zero evidence that it is failing to attract new players. Given that, I think it has managed to survive the period of time when most games die from losing momentum, and therefore there's no longer any sort of expiration date on the game.

That doesn't mean it will last forever. Rather, it means there's no longer any reason to think it can't survive longer just because it is an older game. At this point, whatever eventually kills this game is something that will happen in the future, not anything that can be extrapolated from today. So I expect the game will continue to be around for a very long time. You'd have to actually try hard to kill it over the next three to five years. It could easily last another ten.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,059 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Hopefully another 50-60 years. That's how long I'm gonna live anyways haha. Assuming I can keep my fingers nimble that is.

It’s gonna be impressive if it lasts that long lol
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,292 Guardian
    EdisonLaw said:

Buttehrs said:

Hopefully another 50-60 years. That's how long I'm gonna live anyways haha. Assuming I can keep my fingers nimble that is.

It would be, and it seems unlikely, but the oldest continuously running game (of this sort) that I've personally played (I don't play it anymore) is Eve Online, which is 21 years old and still going pretty strong, with no signs of it shutting down any time soon. I would not be surprised to see Eve make it to thirty years, which would be something.

And then of course there's the 800 pound gorilla in the space, World of Warcraft. Long in the tooth, but still humming along at 20 years old. There's no telling how long that game will be running for.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,549 ★★★★★
    edited August 27
    DNA3000 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Buttehrs said:

It would be, and it seems unlikely, but the oldest continuously running game (of this sort) that I've personally played (I don't play it anymore) is Eve Online, which is 21 years old and still going pretty strong, with no signs of it shutting down any time soon. I would not be surprised to see Eve make it to thirty years, which would be something.

And then of course there's the 800 pound gorilla in the space, World of Warcraft. Long in the tooth, but still humming along at 20 years old. There's no telling how long that game will be running for.
    Doesn't ever quest and/or runescape have them beat?
  • SwainbeatsSwainbeats Member Posts: 26
    Since 2016. I remember when if pulled a 4* out of a premium hero crystal, you won the lottery.
  • GhAsTaGhAsTa Member Posts: 9
    I start 2017..quit few times..and here i am..