Do you agree with kabam selling new 7*s?

startropicsstartropics Member Posts: 830 ★★★★
the omega days event was neat and giving champions through challenges (stark spidey, spidey 2099, masacre) was also cool, but they sold nefaria for cash and now jack. is selling new 7* for money going to be the new norm?

jack doesn't seem groundbreaking so i guess that's not the worst, but i hope it doesn't keep happening, the champ chase is important and this feels like it will fast-track 8*s.

i agree with simula here.
https://x.com/drewsamuto/status/1848810361966756347

Comments

• EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 7,148 ★★★★★
    I wonder if 7* Isophyne will be sold, considering she is the 10 year anniversary champ.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,610 Guardian

I hope it’s not the norm. It was fine for events but if it’s a regular thing then it’s kind of ridiculous. If they were to sell every single new champ, then mega whales would essentially be able to buy their way out of all champion rng because they can just buy every release. That would seem to drastic to me.

Mega whales can always buy their way out of champion RNG, this would just potentially save them money, especially if they are looking for a dupe.

The people who benefit a lot more are the more casual spenders who just grab a single prerelease bundle normally. This would allow them an avenue to get a champion if they really wanted it which is honestly nice. I know a couple of champions who I would have dropped that money on to have immediately as a 7*, but I wouldn't drop money beyond 1 prerelease bundle normally due to how cruel rng can be and it isnt worth buying all those without guaranteed value.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,544 ★★★★★
    One way or another, they've been selling Champs for many years.
  • Asher1_1Asher1_1 Member Posts: 554 ★★★
    Why it's bad now when people were buying 6* 😒😒that was ok ?? It's the same but this way kabam makes more money 🤷 so I agree with kabam.

I got screwed by new champ in aw ,early BG season like champ early access came 30min ago & I am facing him max 6* 🤷
  • Twist1298Twist1298 Member Posts: 194
    I learned early to not care about what the spenders do because I will never be ultra competitive in this game. Whales will always have the advantages tbh.
  • Steam97Steam97 Member Posts: 196 ★★
    Kabam this year definitely increased by a lot the money offers available in the game and is clearly trying to milk the whales as much as possible. Honestly that is not a great sign for the game and isn't aligned with what they're saying on keeping the game running for many more years. Now someone that spends thousands every year gets way more champions and resources than someone could get just playing the game and except for last year july 4th I never felt this in the game. We used to have just those two big sales every year but now it looks like we got 500$ offers every month or every couple of months. Kabam needs to be careful not to be too greedy with these or might have consequences for the game
  • PT_99PT_99 Member Posts: 4,389 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

I wonder if 7* Isophyne will be sold, considering she is the 10 year anniversary champ.

You expect Kabam to hand out KabamOriginal that easily?
    Hehehe, you're wrong
  • iZiggiiZiggi Member Posts: 26
    8*s will be what ruins the game, then many will probably give up. 70 5/65s, but only 36 6R5s. 8 7R3s...if they start with 8*s then it's over for me, I can't bear to start all over again.
  • Kingering_KingKingering_King Member Posts: 910 ★★★
    If it keeps the game running… I won’t spend $500 everyone a new champ comes out but it’s nice I guess
  • Burrito2525Burrito2525 Member Posts: 519 ★★★
    If someone wants to spends thousands a month on this game, they deserve the champs they seek. Play YOUR game and adapt to what comes at you. Don’t hate on others for spending and getting rewarded. They keep the game ad free and alive

Thank you big spenders, I salute you
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,356 ★★★
    I really don't understand why it's such an issue. If it's about competitive balance then 99% of players won't actually fight people that bought these champs because they're already probably at the top end of the game
  • jcphillips7jcphillips7 Member Posts: 1,419 ★★★★
    BigBlueOx said:

After seeing the impact of 6star Bullseye and Serpent had on all game modes, the completely laughable targets and balancing the team had to these cancerous designs… and they went from being NEW to EVERYWHERE in a matter of hours after their pre-release bundles. We know this has consequences for all.

There’s no way this is good for enjoyment, progression, or engagement if this becomes routine. It also creates pressure at the top end of the game to spend further, and may result in some summoners making very very unhealthy life choices (meta defender, or groceries, or rent). Addiction is a monster that way, and as a community we tend to ignore this element of the contest. While it’s not Kabam’s job to police others, they may want to start thinking about the environment they are encouraging with this movement to even more spending.

People crazy or desperate enough to spend this much… probably deserve the champ anyways… even if it scorched earth on their personal lives. But outside of that the cascading impact on the game we’ve seen from guaranteed 6stars already demonstrates this won’t be good for the overall health of the game either. A lot of the overall negative responses about the 2024 defenders is how quickly these all became meta defenders that were impossible to avoid and typing this up I have to wonder if this easy access to meta champs has contributed to the subpar attacker pool too. Kabam being more resistant to making the next “Herc” or “Hulkling” or even “Kushala” that easy to get, so attackers are much weaker since this move to guaranteed high rarity champs. I now wonder if this isn’t a simple coincidence after giving it some thought.

This only really benefits Kabam’s quarterly revenues, because even the players who get the guaranteed champ will be on the short end of things if this exacerbates the next rarity levels or the end of the game even. So all said, I see way more negative potential in doing this, and I’d strongly recommend that this really doesn’t become the new normal.

Agreed.

I've noticed that while we now have the ability to just buy the 7*, it's not a "must-have!" champ at Hulkling dual-threat levels (at least yet). I just pulled Enchantress the other day, and she instantly went to the top of my R3 mystic list over the current choice I had between Kushala, WT, and Shathra. Why? Because meta relevant defender and almost a necessity to have at my level.

Even when this saga began and we had the webstore track to get Nefaria, which costs hundreds, look how quickly he was banned in higher AW tiers. Awesome. Someone spends all this money to get a usable Saga champ and they're instantly blacklisted. Time will tell shortly with Jack, but this is another negative side effect of purchasing these new, saga-relevant champs; the inability to actually use them in the content that matters/they were made for.
  • FinalfurykFinalfuryk Member Posts: 291 ★★★
    I feel like it's a nice bonus for whaling out if it's tied to some sort of event but no way for just the champion like it currently is.
  • Asher1_1Asher1_1 Member Posts: 554 ★★★

Someone who works in RAIDS mobile game company once told me:

"If the game company starts to sell guaranteed champions/heroes instead of gacha it means
    the income starts to decline or the ratio of whales vs casual spenders starts to tilt."

Of course factors like in-game headquarters changes or new financial policies take part

It's not Raids first of all & selling a champ or giving offers before a sale is a strategy to drain some units or money . Then in the sale u will be tempted to invest as they will be better ,cheaper offers .
    It's a marketing strategy 🤷
  • GamerGamer Member Posts: 10,824 ★★★★★

I really don't understand why it's such an issue. If it's about competitive balance then 99% of players won't actually fight people that bought these champs because they're already probably at the top end of the game

That’s true but the thing is if that’s the new norm there there no way telling how far 8 stars really it I like the idea there can get something for and kind of people spend 500 dollars let them hav it really it in the end of the day it just a game now i just know where I stand.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,708 ★★★★
    I can pay 2000 units for Enchantress
    😍
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,356 ★★★
    Gamer said:

That’s true but the thing is if that’s the new norm there there no way telling how far 8 stars really it I like the idea there can get something for and kind of people spend 500 dollars let them hav it really it in the end of the day it just a game now i just know where I stand.
    Yall can keep fear mongering about 8 stars but they're doing a lot to stop that from being any where near on the horizon. The gap between 6 and 7 stars was 5 years and with ascension I don't think we're anywhere close to having to worry about 8 stars
  • BigTuna_2054BigTuna_2054 Member Posts: 108 ★★
    I feel the store milestones to get Count Nefaria along with an awakening gem and 2-3 rank up was not bad offer for those who can afford it for about $500 or $600. But one single champ for $500 seems like a huge step backwards. I don’t understand the logic or consistency.
  • SandeepSSandeepS Member Posts: 1,265 ★★★★
    I'd prefer an alternative but am ok with the system.

It guarantees income for the game which increases longevity but also it's not like everyone is going to pay the money so in reality impacts the top % which I am not part of. If it was £5 for a 7 star it would Encourage too many people and that would ruin the economy of the game so setting it at a high rate reduces this problem.

My preferred alternative would be for everyone to buy valiant crystals with money, let's say 10 for £50. Then everyone has a milestone based on variants bought with money. If you get the champ you want, great, if you've had to buy 100 crystals then you get it as a pity prize.
  • Steam97Steam97 Member Posts: 196 ★★

Gamer said:

Yall can keep fear mongering about 8 stars but they're doing a lot to stop that from being any where near on the horizon. The gap between 6 and 7 stars was 5 years and with ascension I don't think we're anywhere close to having to worry about 8 stars
    Well often giving away easy 7 stars for a good amount of money has two possible consequences. First it could kill the casual spenders, even if you spend some but not a lot you'll feel even more that you can't keep up with the roster additions a whale will get and so could just decide to go f2p or be a whale. Secondly if those offers become too many then even some whales could decide to just stop caring, if the game ends up requiring too much money to keep up with the top of the game then some may just stop spending money it they don't think the chase is worth it. I hope kabam won't be too greedy with this type of offers cause it can have consequences
  • Awesomep12Awesomep12 Member Posts: 1,190 ★★★
    What if the top 10 bg players got the new 7* for free, and the no.1 player gets 2 so they can awaken them?