Do you agree with kabam selling new 7*s?

Comments

• SandeepSSandeepS Member Posts: 1,265 ★★★★

What if the top 10 bg players got the new 7* for free, and the no.1 player gets 2 so they can awaken them?

This is a game of rng so I'd be ok with it
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,974 ★★★★★

What if the top 10 bg players got the new 7* for free, and the no.1 player gets 2 so they can awaken them?

That doesn't affect the contest in lower tiers and motivates the players on top tiers. I'm okay with it
  • SiliyoSiliyo Member Posts: 1,465 ★★★★★

What if a top BG player has the disposable income? Then he can buy the champions, then get the dupe from BG’s, which will help save money. I do like the idea of earning something rare like a champ, but then you’ll hear the “rich get richer” because of it since top BG players (who typically spend) are the ones at the top.
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 984 ★★★★
    Personally not a fan but it's definitely pro-player move. Seems like a pity system.

Won't be taking advantage of it but they didn't need to do it, the whales were always going to whale.
  • BendyBendy Member Posts: 6,233 ★★★★★

Personally not a fan but it's definitely pro-player move. Seems like a pity system.

Won't be taking advantage of it but they didn't need to do it, the whales were always going to whale.

Id love to have a pity system
  • BendyBendy Member Posts: 6,233 ★★★★★
    But selling a 7 isnt a big deal since its still profit its just for those that want the 7 and in the 500 dont pull at least they get him also its not for every champ it seems to miss one at least until it becomes every champ, then id see an issue especially meta defined but right now the ones they done track pass to me aint meta defined so im ok with it as id love to have one pass for dazzler as id love to pull her 7 or isophyene
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★

Gamer said:

I really don't understand why it's such an issue. If it's about competitive balance then 99% of players won't actually fight people that bought these champs because they're already probably at the top end of the game

That’s true but the thing is if that’s the new norm there there no way telling how far 8 stars really it I like the idea there can get something for and kind of people spend 500 dollars let them hav it really it in the end of the day it just a game now i just know where I stand.
    Yall can keep fear mongering about 8 stars but they're doing a lot to stop that from being any where near on the horizon. The gap between 6 and 7 stars was 5 years and with ascension I don't think we're anywhere close to having to worry about 8 stars
    The community is just following the precedent set by Kabam when commenting on rewards being outdated in certain game modes. They brought 8stars into these conversations at that point not us.
  • VaniteliaVanitelia Member Posts: 468 ★★★
    I was thinking about this last night. I remember they did a breakdown of Alex Rodriguez's big Yankees contract. They said with the amount of money he was earning, he could buy a $250k car and it'd be like us spending $25 on a gift card. People who make a lot of money don't view cost the same way the average person does.

Selling a champ for $500 isn't a big deal. We aren't going to see thousands of them running around the contest. There isn't one champ in this game that doesn't have a counter. Sure, some have 1 or 2 ideal ones, but there isn't a single champ that will cause a road block to progression if you don't have them. Good on them for spending. Helps keep the game great. People who don't spend on the game either don't have it or don't want to. It's not required.

There's some issues that are hurting the game, this isn't one of them.
  • giuppy04giuppy04 Member Posts: 16
    None of us is really a ftp player. There are those who pay with their money, and those who pay with their time. Who is preferable? I don't really know.
  • BadPullsMarcoBadPullsMarco Member Posts: 448 ★★★
    edited October 23
  • BadPullsMarcoBadPullsMarco Member Posts: 448 ★★★
    100%, keeps the lights on and the incentive to invest in the game from stake holders going. Anybody that’s spending $500 on a character every month doesn’t need that character to completely utterly destroy you in every mode or any game they play. Let them whale and we will feast plenty on their droppings!
  • DeaconDeacon Member Posts: 4,249 ★★★★★
    i agree with it. even though it just means i'll continue facing meaty whales.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,959 ★★★★★
    I'm ok with it, chances of a reg player facing this low % of TRUE WHALES in any PvP context and be affected by it are pretty low.
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,887 ★★★★★

the omega days event was neat and giving champions through challenges (stark spidey, spidey 2099, masacre) was also cool, but they sold nefaria for cash and now jack. is selling new 7* for money going to be the new norm?

jack doesn't seem groundbreaking so i guess that's not the worst, but i hope it doesn't keep happening, the champ chase is important and this feels like it will fast-track 8*s.

i agree with simula here.
    https://x.com/drewsamuto/status/1848810361966756347

It looks like they're trying to cash in on "hard counters". Pumpkin Head is a hard counter to Onslaught, and some players still have difficulty fighting him, so here comes the money making opportunity for Kabam. And I think Nefaria is a counter to Enchantress? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have my own "hard counter" to Onslaught, so this offer will be a hard pass for me lol.
  • NüΚΞNüΚΞ Member Posts: 258 ★★★

BigBlueOx said:

After seeing the impact of 6star Bullseye and Serpent had on all game modes, the completely laughable targets and balancing the team had to these cancerous designs… and they went from being NEW to EVERYWHERE in a matter of hours after their pre-release bundles. We know this has consequences for all.

There’s no way this is good for enjoyment, progression, or engagement if this becomes routine. It also creates pressure at the top end of the game to spend further, and may result in some summoners making very very unhealthy life choices (meta defender, or groceries, or rent). Addiction is a monster that way, and as a community we tend to ignore this element of the contest. While it’s not Kabam’s job to police others, they may want to start thinking about the environment they are encouraging with this movement to even more spending.

People crazy or desperate enough to spend this much… probably deserve the champ anyways… even if it scorched earth on their personal lives. But outside of that the cascading impact on the game we’ve seen from guaranteed 6stars already demonstrates this won’t be good for the overall health of the game either. A lot of the overall negative responses about the 2024 defenders is how quickly these all became meta defenders that were impossible to avoid and typing this up I have to wonder if this easy access to meta champs has contributed to the subpar attacker pool too. Kabam being more resistant to making the next “Herc” or “Hulkling” or even “Kushala” that easy to get, so attackers are much weaker since this move to guaranteed high rarity champs. I now wonder if this isn’t a simple coincidence after giving it some thought.

This only really benefits Kabam’s quarterly revenues, because even the players who get the guaranteed champ will be on the short end of things if this exacerbates the next rarity levels or the end of the game even. So all said, I see way more negative potential in doing this, and I’d strongly recommend that this really doesn’t become the new normal.

Agreed.

I've noticed that while we now have the ability to just buy the 7*, it's not a "must-have!" champ at Hulkling dual-threat levels (at least yet). I just pulled Enchantress the other day, and she instantly went to the top of my R3 mystic list over the current choice I had between Kushala, WT, and Shathra. Why? Because meta relevant defender and almost a necessity to have at my level.

Even when this saga began and we had the webstore track to get Nefaria, which costs hundreds, look how quickly he was banned in higher AW tiers. Awesome. Someone spends all this money to get a usable Saga champ and they're instantly blacklisted. Time will tell shortly with Jack, but this is another negative side effect of purchasing these new, saga-relevant champs; the inability to actually use them in the content that matters/they were made for.
    Yeah. Morbius in the double track and only a few think he’s amazing. BRB is a good damage dealer but you don’t see him anywhere. Nefaria - your point is spot on. Jack I’m curious about, many have learned to fight onslaught with good to decent success. I’d be curious to see how many went for it. I think many whales could justify all the extra stuff from Nefaria sale. Jack doesn’t feel like a must have. Mega whales will most likely buy him. Jack doesn’t seem like a great tactic champ for war because you need to get to his sp2 for the debuff but I don’t know much about him
  • Wakandas_FinestWakandas_Finest Member Posts: 857 ★★★★
    I’m for whatever pays kabam’s bills that keeps the game ad free
  • ZuroZuro Member Posts: 2,862 ★★★★★
    The people who are paying 500 for a 7 star were gonna whale regardless of this deal ngl. I don't really care at this point whales gonna whale
  • startropicsstartropics Member Posts: 830 ★★★★
    edited October 24
    i'm trying to see this as reasonably as i can from my uneducated perspective.

i don't know how much it costs pulling a featured champ from valiant crystals, but i'd say a few thousand on average?

so setting it at $500 to me really devalues the champion and new champions going forward and 7*s in general....therefore 8*s come faster?

or are these champs-for-cash just hand selected and won't be valuable in the long term?

or metas and SAGAs will be controlled so much that limits their value even if they're good?

or i'm wrong about devaluation and the amount of people spending $500 on it won't move the needle?

i still don't like it lol.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 7,148 ★★★★★
    edited October 24

Every week I feel more and more glad that I retired, game has been going in such a horrible direction the past few months lol they keep making the gap between f2p and p2w bigger and bigger for absolutely no reason other than: 🤑

Agreed, they are feeding the whales (rich) and leaving the poor behind.
    edited October 24
    EdisonLaw said:

Every week I feel more and more glad that I retired, game has been going in such a horrible direction the past few months lol they keep making the gap between f2p and p2w bigger and bigger for absolutely no reason other than: 🤑

Agreed, they are feeding the whales (rich) and leaving the poor behind.
    they've done a good job keeping the gap narrow enough to keep the game healthy (or else we wouldn't be at 10 years right now), and i don't think they've abandoned that principle. to me this deal, assuming it runs regularly, tells me that the spenders aren't getting much for this...somehow. i'm not sure how but that's what it tells me.

maybe they'll be selling brand new champs for a lot of units to the f2p grinders? i don't know.
    @DNA3000 educate us sir
  • ZuroZuro Member Posts: 2,862 ★★★★★
    When they started adding free 6 star featured champs to the crystals deals people were complaining then but we got passed that. Looks like it'll be another cycle of Kabam doing something bad, people complain, then forget about it in a month. I'm ftp and still competing with super whales just fine so it is what it is at this point
  • DarkNightRiseDarkNightRise Member Posts: 372 ★★★
    I really don’t care as well since I don’t want to play in the highest competitive level anymore. It’s their decision, if they sell too many top tier champion by cash like that, it’s gonna be only around 0.5% or less top whales play with each others and it will make the game boring even with them.
  • RichiesDad79RichiesDad79 Member Posts: 1,016 ★★★
    When my 7* roster becomes irrelevant because of 8*s, I think I'll be done.
    edited October 24
    DNA3000 said:

@DNA3000 educate us sir

Maybe it says the top tier players don’t have enough 7s to spend on rank up stuff, and if they give them a path to buying 7s they will also spend even more to rank them up. Meanwhile the competitive advantage will be minimal until the can rank them up to R3 or higher, which is the real top tier performance bottleneck available to monetize.
    appreciate the input.

and this makes sense to me. i'm not a huge spender, i "only" whale out maybe 3x a year and i very rarely buy featured crystals and i find that i don't have enough good champs to rank 2 and my t6c is just sitting there. so maybe you're right on this point.
  • Awesomep12Awesomep12 Member Posts: 1,190 ★★★
    Siliyo said:

What if a top BG player has the disposable income? Then he can buy the champions, then get the dupe from BG’s, which will help save money. I do like the idea of earning something rare like a champ, but then you’ll hear the “rich get richer” because of it since top BG players (who typically spend) are the ones at the top.
    People with more skill deserve more rewards imo