**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

5-Star Featured Arena Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    A_Noob_Is1A_Noob_Is1 Posts: 762 ★★
    Hopefully this draws away some people from the four star feature arenas
  • Options
    LilJohLilJoh Posts: 52
    Change the premiums for GMC in the milestones. PHCs are an insult.
  • Options
    TrinketTrinket Posts: 8
    Instead of higher milestones,terrible rewards and potentially insane cutoffs that the average player will have no desire to try and hit. Change the way arena works instead of lumping everyone who plays the game into one arena bracket split it up. If on average 20,000 players participate in any given arena split us up into brackets of 2000-5000 players. It gives EVERYONE a chance to actually compete in the arena.Leave the milestones alone(except the new one at least cut them in half)Do something for once that would actually benefit all the players.
  • Options
    RazyRazy Posts: 17
    Time for Android player quit by getting lesser 5* and 6*. The arena itself already imbalance for Android player. Time required for arena is 3x+ than ios
  • Options
    Carmel1Carmel1 Posts: 628 ★★★
    Hi,

I have few questions.
    I'll start with the easier two:
    * points toward "perfect series" and similar events give the same point as in the current feature 4* arena or more?
    * Thanos and kangs team will be 5*R5 or 6*R_ ?

the more complicated question is:
    At the moment, every two week we have a feature 4* arena of a new champ and in between we have every two weeks a feature 4* arena of "old champs". do you plan to run the 5* feature arena also for the older champs?
    If you do, what will happen when the "old champ" is someone like Doctor strange, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and few others 4* that don't have a 5* version? what will we see as the feature 5* then?

Thanks
  • Options
    waynegcorewaynegcore Posts: 93
    @Kabam Miike so I kind of get that you can not put GMCs in here as people need to be uncollected.

However most people competing for the top rewards in the 5* Arena are more than likely at a point in the game where PHCs are completely useless to them, the drop rates on these things are so weak, I don't even feel like opening them most of the time, it's actually rather demotivating, which is contradictory to having milestone rewards at all.

What about an Ultimate Crystal or something similar? I believe that crystal only contains 3 or 4* characters.

Getting 2* at this point is massive disappointment. You need to look at the User Experience sometimes too and not just how the shard numbers add up.
  • Options
    MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★
    They should do 200 4* shards per milestone. All milestones get you 1 4*. That’s better than 10 2* champs. Or maybe 400 3* shards first 5 and 200 4* shards the last 5. Still better than 10 2*. Lol!

Top 150, wow. There will be no way to win besides running 4’s, then refreshing 5’s until 4’a are ready again. 6’s seem like a waste. Rank 1 will make less points than r3 5’s.

Prediction top 150 cutoff for 5* killmonger will be 40m
    And it would probably cost at least 2 odins in refreshes.
  • Options
    NemesioNemesio Posts: 134
    When the pool for the 4 star featured was 400 there were less people playing the game, it was expanded to the top 800, but now you are telling us that in order to get a five star only the top 150 can earn it? that's absurd, 5 star arenas should be exactly as the 4 star featured, but with better milestone rewards, 5 star champs are very common nowadays what is up with the restrictions?
  • Options
    bloodyCainbloodyCain Posts: 910 ★★★
    Putting Premium as milestones rewards? Even the arena grinders will 100% say it's stupid.
  • Options
    Sith_LordSith_Lord Posts: 230 ★★
    Arena milestones should be more intriguing. You can basically get the same exact rewards from the basic arena, while only putting up 1.5m. That's 2 runs for me with my 60 R5 4 stars - 40 matches! Only difference is 1 PHC per milestone. Not like those have any good drops in them anyway.

The rank rewards should also be expanded. Top 150 in order to win the featured champ is a little bit ridiculous! Should at least be top 400, at he lowest. This arena will only be for the top players in the game, with top rosters. As @CpcBoyboy stated above, which he is 100% right about, is us top players rather spend on crystals in securing a 5* featured champ. We need something as I stated above in order to entice us in competing in this new 5* arena. All those hours of grinding are truly not worth our while...
  • Options
    Sith_Lord wrote: »
    Arena milestones should be more intriguing. You can basically get the same exact rewards from the basic arena, while only putting up 1.5m. That's 2 runs for me with my 60 R5 4 stars - 40 matches! Only difference is 1 PHC per milestone. Not like those have any good drops in them anyway.

The rank rewards should also be expanded. Top 150 in order to win the featured champ is a little bit ridiculous! Should at least be top 400, at he lowest. This arena will only be for the top players in the game, with top rosters. As @CpcBoyboy stated above, which he is 100% right about, is us top players rather spend on crystals in securing a 5* featured champ. We need something as I stated above in order to entice us in competing in this new 5* arena. All those hours of grinding are truly not worth our while...

I believe Kabam believes that the 5* featured champion itself is more than enough enticement to get people to participate in this arena, and I believe they are correct.
  • Options
    Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,504 ★★★★★
    I am constantly perplexed with how out of touch Kabam has been with new event rewards. Even the new AW is pretty much only geared towards top alliances and players, therefore leaving the rest in the dust. Granted I'm in one of the top 100 but I don't know why anyone else really bothers to play the game. Advancement is always stagnant and not enjoyable at all.
  • Options
    Sith_LordSith_Lord Posts: 230 ★★
    edited February 2018
    DNA3000 wrote: »

I believe Kabam believes that the 5* featured champion itself is more than enough enticement to get people to participate in this arena, and I believe they are correct.

Sorry, disagree with you on that one, buddy. Us top players rather spend on crystals until we snag said featured champ twice, then dump a shitload of sig stones into it. The new addition of said arena is very nice, & was a long time coming, but it's not catchy for me just yet.

• Options
    Vision_41Vision_41 Posts: 721
    So excited for this! Thank you Kabam!
  • Options

Sorry, disagree with you on that one, buddy. Us top players rather spend on crystals until we snag said featured champ twice, then dump a shitload of sig stones into it. The new addition of said arena is very nice, & was a long time coming, but it's not catchy for me just yet.

If you are correct, then that's great, because then I will be getting every 5* featured arena champ.

However, I believe the odds of that happening are vanishingly small.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

I disagree and I’m sure many others will too. The only enticement I feel is to get 1 million for the lowest rank rewards. The issue with this is that for me, a player far in the game 100% act 5 and preparing for a LoL run with 4 rank 4 5*, a 6* and 10 t2 alpha, to only want to do 1 million in the arena and then focus on another arena. That’s an inherent issue with the new arena.

Yes, people will do the arena. Yes they will grind 10s of millions of points for it. But that’s only a minority, if you take your average player that is doing the arena they will not attempt to grind at all for rank rewards. And they won’t grind for milestone. Kabam are missing a trick here.

Say for example the milestones were pretty awesome, like 100 5* shards and 25 6* shards every alternate million points up to 10 million. That’s 500 5* shards and 125 6* shards, which twice a week leads to a hefty sum. Now, you already have the heavy grinders going for the rank rewards and these milestones don’t make a difference to them because they’re doing it anyway. But now you have your average player grinding out the milestones, and quite honestly I would grind out as much as I possibly could for it, quite possibly spending units to refresh if I couldn’t get it myself. And where people spend units, people spend money on units.
  • Options
    Zuko_ILC wrote: »
    I am constantly perplexed with how out of touch Kabam has been with new event rewards. Even the new AW is pretty much only geared towards top alliances and players, therefore leaving the rest in the dust. Granted I'm in one of the top 100 but I don't know why anyone else really bothers to play the game. Advancement is always stagnant and not enjoyable at all.

Everyone plays, or chooses to play a game for their own reasons, but I can tell you this as someone not a top 100 player: I play this game because I can get everything you can get, just slightly slower, and for a lot less effort. I'm fine with that: I don't need to spend money to keep up with you because the progressional curve allows me to draft behind you and still play challenging content (for me) and work my way towards the same rewards you work towards, just in a different part of the curve.

Because nothing is shut off from me, because I can play at my own pace, and because I have patience, this game works very well for me. The whales need players like me because without players like me there's no point in being a whale in a phone booth. And players like me need the whales because without the whales Kabam would have to make all that money from me, and I'd rather they not. And a game which gives the whales and the top players something shiny to chase after with their time and money that realistically speaking I have no shot at, and then gives me a shot at the shiny thing after the top players are bored with it, is a game that ultimately works and can last a long time.

I've been at the top of the food chain, and I've been at the bottom, and I'm happy where I am now. If you can be satisfied with where you are, the game works for you. If you aren't satisfied with where your time and effort places you on the food chain, the game probably doesn't work for you.
  • Options
    Zuko_ILC wrote: »

I still play the game because I’m too poor to be a whale
  • Options
    KingsquestKingsquest Posts: 12
    edited February 2018
    Change 5 stars to get 800 people

5star shard only gived duplicate characters!!

Is it only Given 5stars the Top Gamer(5star = unit many used )?

Rather give 5 stars to 20m rewards
  • Options
    ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    I don't mind this Arena, even though I won't sniff the leaderboard in it, because I honestly feel that this game is better when there is enough to do where people have to make choices.

As I have said before, I lead an alliance of developing players. None of us will be in this arena. But if it peels a few people out of the 4-star featured, great for my guys. If that pulls a few more people out of the 4-star basic, great for my guys.

There are people in this game -- I am one of them -- who just have horrific luck with crystals and pulls. Other people are pulling 5-star Medusas in one shot or two shots, I am pulling Groots and She-Hulks.

So for people like me/us, we have to grind the secondary market. We put in the work, but it definitely helps my alliance when more people pull out of the stuff for the content they have already mastered that my guys haven't.
  • Options

I disagree and I’m sure many others will too. The only enticement I feel is to get 1 million for the lowest rank rewards.

Glad to hear it. I honestly wish more people agreed with you. Now that I've done the analysis of past scoring, I now believe I should take a shot at the 10% rank reward. Its fifty-fifty on whether it is in general reach for me, but the more people who think it isn't worth going after, the better those odds become.
    Kabam are missing a trick here.

Say for example the milestones were pretty awesome, like 100 5* shards and 25 6* shards every alternate million points up to 10 million. That’s 500 5* shards and 125 6* shards, which twice a week leads to a hefty sum. Now, you already have the heavy grinders going for the rank rewards and these milestones don’t make a difference to them because they’re doing it anyway. But now you have your average player grinding out the milestones, and quite honestly I would grind out as much as I possibly could for it, quite possibly spending units to refresh if I couldn’t get it myself. And where people spend units, people spend money on units.

I don't think they are missing a trick. I think you're missing a trick every game developer uses. No reward system is a thing, it is a process. Everything you do today must have a logical next thing you do tomorrow. Say the rewards were awesome. Do they become astronomical tomorrow? Do they become infinite next week? You can always crank up. You cannot crank down. Everything starts low. No game company has ever been faulted for adjusting rewards upward. The more room you leave at the top, the more latitude you have to do that later. You can think that is just smart design, or you can think it is manipulating the player base, but either way, it is why the rewards are not going to start off immediately "pretty awesome."

And if you think slow playing the rewards this way costs them money, from my admittedly limited experience with such things, in the long run it generally doesn't. It costs short term revenue for long term retention which always makes more money.
  • Options
    DJRipsterDJRipster Posts: 169
    5-Star arenas are a great addition, and it will be fun allowing the community to compete to improve their rosters... However the milestones leading up to these rank rewards make no sense...

The contest is supposed to be evolving, and wee in the process of building up our 6-star rosters... At this level popping PHCs for 2-stars makes zero sense... especially given that they are spread over 12mil points

I understand the logic of not adding GMCs, but how about adding Ultimate crystals at least as milestones, you can start off with PHCs, progress to 3-star crystals and offer at least a couple of Ultimate crystals as milestone rewards

At this point its really important that Kabam understand how far the contest has evolved, and allow players who are being competitive to have some form of progress
  • Options
    CorpsmanCorpsman Posts: 54
    Wow phcs for milestone in 5* arena. Epic fail game team. Really outdid yourself here.
  • Options

I disagree and I’m sure many others will too. The only enticement I feel is to get 1 million for the lowest rank rewards.

Glad to hear it. I honestly wish more people agreed with you. Now that I've done the analysis of past scoring, I now believe I should take a shot at the 10% rank reward. Its fifty-fifty on whether it is in general reach for me, but the more people who think it isn't worth going after, the better those odds become.

I don't think they are missing a trick. I think you're missing a trick every game developer uses. No reward system is a thing, it is a process. Everything you do today must have a logical next thing you do tomorrow. Say the rewards were awesome. Do they become astronomical tomorrow? Do they become infinite next week? You can always crank up. You cannot crank down. Everything starts low. No game company has ever been faulted for adjusting rewards upward. The more room you leave at the top, the more latitude you have to do that later. You can think that is just smart design, or you can think it is manipulating the player base, but either way, it is why the rewards are not going to start off immediately "pretty awesome."

And if you think slow playing the rewards this way costs them money, from my admittedly limited experience with such things, in the long run it generally doesn't. It costs short term revenue for long term retention which always makes more money.

So why do the rank rewards start high and the milestones start low? Almost like in general the rank rewards benefit the whales and the milestones benefit the average player, so the rank rewards here start pretty awesome, and the milestones start pretty ****.
  • Options
    MkdemariaMkdemaria Posts: 119
    I would like to see Grand Master Crystals for milestones instead of Premium Hero Crystals since we are using 4*, 5*, and 6* Champions. When can we expect to see a basic 5* arena?
  • Options
    Instead of milestone rewards of up to 12m, you should give a feature champ as the reward for 20m. Or if not then the top 800 should receive the feature champ.
  • Options

So why do the rank rewards start high and the milestones start low? Almost like in general the rank rewards benefit the whales and the milestones benefit the average player, so the rank rewards here start pretty awesome, and the milestones start pretty ****.

The rank rewards are higher than the milestone rewards because the rank rewards are limited and the milestone ones are not. All other things being equal, it is as simple as that.

You'll find in many progressional games with no well-developed end game (and even in some that have one) that PvP becomes the end game gateway to the top tier rewards. That's because PvP is difficulty auto-tuning (since the players themselves are the difficulty, the playerbase cannot outlevel the difficulty) and because the nature of competitive rewards allows the developers to limit the amount of the top tier rewards that enter circulation, making it a quick and easy end game proxy.

In theory, everyone could get the milestone rewards. As a practical matter they can't, but you cannot predict with certainty how fast the playerbase will advance and how fast their scoring potential will rise. But no matter how fast the playerbase progresses and how powerful the players get, only so many players will get the ranked rewards, even the percentage ones are proportionately limited in a way that makes it easier to make them high value.

In any case, the highest rank rewards aren't being designed to be cranked up by much in the future, because in general the top tier rewards rarely need to be. It is the lower tier rewards that are changed the most when game devs adjust their reward curves. When you see devs muck with the top tier rewards, like say radically increasing the amount of 5* shards we can get, expect that to not be the top tier reward for much longer.