**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Just verifying that Domino is "working as intended"...

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    THX135 wrote: »
    Everyone, based on info we've been provided it seems Domino is working as intended by the game team.

Take advantage and use her in LOL. I've tested my R4 awakened Domino in LOL and she makes many hard fights easy now.

Those with R4/R5 awaken Domino go and clear as many inner LOL paths as you can before Kabam nerfs her.

The parts that make domino good in LoL (high damage, utility) aren’t what anyone cares about as a BS defender. People care about critical failure, which is what people hate and what doesn’t actually help in LoL, maybe it would do 10k damage in a fight, which is basically one combo and a special. Not a big deal.
  • Ou_YeahOu_Yeah Posts: 45
    edited June 2018
    It seems this is how it's coded now:

get ability percentage > apply domino ability accuracy reduction to percentage > roll success/fail > if success: let ability proceed, else: critical failure

Which sucks if you have a 0% chance for the ability, even if it's an unawakened ability. Really it should be this:

get ability percentage > roll success/fail > if success: roll domino ability accuracy reduction success/fail > if success: ability fails and apply critical failure, else: let ability proceed

Can't believe WE have to be the ones to give the correct logic
  • Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    Ou_Yeah wrote: »

get ability percentage > apply domino ability accuracy reduction to percentage > roll success/fail > if success: let ability proceed, else: critical failure

Which sucks if you have a 0% chance for the ability, even if it's an unawakened ability. Really it should be this:

get ability percentage > roll success/fail > if success: roll domino ability accuracy reduction success/fail > if success: ability fails and apply critical failure, else: let ability proceed

So there may be multiple ways they could code this.
    I gave one....
    U gave another....
    One thing is for sure... the way it is done now certainly has alot of undesired results. And is certatainly buggy code....
    Heck i will write it in a couple different program languages if that will help them...
  • Madman_marvinMadman_marvin Posts: 648 ★★★★
    Complete radio silence from mods.
  • DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,883 ★★★★
    THX135 wrote: »
    Everyone, based on info we've been provided it seems Domino is working as intended by the game team.

Take advantage and use her in LOL. I've tested my R4 awakened Domino in LOL and she makes many hard fights easy now.

Those with R4/R5 awaken Domino go and clear as many inner LOL paths as you can before Kabam nerfs her.

This is what will get her nerfed... I'm calling it now.. either LoL or act 6 or some very hard content will start being steamrolled by her and she'll be nerfed. Not because she's bad for the players but because she's bad for the bottom line. She looks like an amazing offensive monster.
  • taojay1taojay1 Posts: 1,062 ★★★
    Wow, this thread took off.

Anyway, I'm the OP and I have an update (sort of).

There are two fights in this video... both are with OG Vision, which @Kabam Miike himself said was one of the best options.

https://youtu.be/ZJCYyw4etuA
    I'm confused now, Vision did not receive critical failure even when perfect block mastery did not work. What's up with that? Not that it's a bad thing, but now it's even more unclear as to how critical failure works
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,659 Guardian
    Maat1985 wrote: »
    Ou_Yeah wrote: »

So there may be multiple ways they could code this.
    I gave one....
    U gave another....
    One thing is for sure... the way it is done now certainly has alot of undesired results. And is certatainly buggy code....
    Heck i will write it in a couple different program languages if that will help them...

The problem with both descriptions is that they make a common error: they presume games like this are coded procedurally rather than more declaratively. Procedural or imperative stuff is usually done with embedded scripting languages and are computationally enormously expensive, and thus only used when absolutely necessary and essentially never within critical loops, when implemented in the content. Otherwise, it has to be implemented in a very general purpose manner within the core engine itself.

This is difficult to explain if someone hasn't seen how these kinds of engines work. To put it in the simplest way I can, Domino is probably not "programmed" to do anything. There's no algorithm being executed that tells the game when Domino should trigger a critical failure. Instead, the game engine itself has probably been altered so that proc rolls now generate success/fail flags on top of their actual rolls, and Domino has an ability triggered by that state flag. Domino basically has an ability that says: if the engine says this happened, immediately do this.

If that's the case, then there's no way to easily algorithmically alter Domino's behavior. You have to basically change the laws of physics within the engine to alter how it does proc chances and how it flags proc failures. Such tampering with the core engine is not easy: if I had to guess how long it took to add this tech to the engine in the first place I would guestimate four to six months. And that's problematic.

The mental model I tend to describe to people is that entities like MCOC champions are giant case switches, and the engine constantly updates state variables.

Incidentally, random rolls are computationally expensive. Turning one roll into two rolls is generally not a good idea. It would be better, if a change was being contemplated along those lines, to use pigeonholing rather than multiple rolls. Multiple rolls can almost always be mathematically transformed into a single roll with proper pigeonholing to get an invariant result (a result with one roll that is indistinguishable from two rolls).
    @DNA3000 if yu are correct then there is no way that we can expect a fix for domino at all.
    She is essentially bugged by design
    @DNA3000 if yu are correct then there is no way that we can expect a fix for domino at all.
    She is essentially bugged by design

No easy or non-clumsy fix, if I'm basically correct. However, there can be technical details I'm unaware of that can point to ways to jury rig a temporary fix. For example, they could monkey with the degen cool down or magnitude, or they could do something weird like require contact for the degen to trigger (which would eliminate critical failure on passive or defensive effects) or they could add some other dependency to it to mute its effects in corner cases (which would also sledgehammer the effect in lots of places undesired as a side effect, but that might be the price to pay).

The better long term solution might be to redefine "critical failure" in the smallest possible way in the engine. I can think of several ways to do that, but how much risk they are willing to take to make an engine change is a value judgment, not a technical one.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    My theory is that the server is responsible for the RNG, so it triggers the second the potential procs, before the Animation follows. Basically, the RNG sends the information to Crit, and her Abilities depend on RNG as well. It seems instantaneous. Just a theory.

How many times do you need to be told that the fights don't take place on the servers?
    taojay1 wrote: »

There are two fights in this video... both are with OG Vision, which @Kabam Miike himself said was one of the best options.

I'm confused now, Vision did not receive critical failure even when perfect block mastery did not work. What's up with that? Not that it's a bad thing, but now it's even more unclear as to how critical failure works

Domino's spotlight says that she triggers her damage over time when her opponent's *abilities* has a chance to trigger an effect but fail. Perhaps the game doesn't consider the perfect block mastery an "ability" for the purposes of critical failure.
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Domino's spotlight says that she triggers her damage over time when her opponent's *abilities* has a chance to trigger an effect but fail. Perhaps the game doesn't consider the perfect block mastery an "ability" for the purposes of critical failure.

@DNA3000 (this quote is from the other thread)
    Hey everyone, to answer the question about masteries, she is able to activate Critical Failure from a mastery failing to activate, so if the Stun from Parry or the Critical Rating buff from Dexterity don’t activate, this will activate her signature ability. We have given your feedback about it to the rest of the team though.

In regards to Domino breaking blocks, this isn’t intentional and we are currently investigating this issue.

Also, for those saying that she is reducing the ability accuracy of Archangel, are you able to give specifics on what abilities are having their accuracy reduced? Some of her basic attacks are short-range projectiles (her first light attack, the second hit of her first medium attack, and the last part of her heavy attack, to be specific), which would prevent you from being able to apply a Stun when you Parry them. This could make it look like she reduced the ability accuracy of a Stun, but these attacks would not be able to cause a Stun anyway. If you’re experiencing Archangel’s ability accuracy being reduced by her in some other way, if you specify how, we’ll be sure to investigate it.
    Maybe Zibiit's wording is to blame, but he said "she is able to activate Critical Failure from a mastery failing to activate". He specifically uses parry and dexterity as examples, but this response was to "answer the question about masteries" as a whole. Something doesn't add up.

Hey everyone, to answer the question about masteries, she is able to activate Critical Failure from a mastery failing to activate, so if the Stun from Parry or the Critical Rating buff from Dexterity don’t activate, this will activate her signature ability. We have given your feedback about it to the rest of the team though.

In regards to Domino breaking blocks, this isn’t intentional and we are currently investigating this issue.

Also, for those saying that she is reducing the ability accuracy of Archangel, are you able to give specifics on what abilities are having their accuracy reduced? Some of her basic attacks are short-range projectiles (her first light attack, the second hit of her first medium attack, and the last part of her heavy attack, to be specific), which would prevent you from being able to apply a Stun when you Parry them. This could make it look like she reduced the ability accuracy of a Stun, but these attacks would not be able to cause a Stun anyway. If you’re experiencing Archangel’s ability accuracy being reduced by her in some other way, if you specify how, we’ll be sure to investigate it.
    Maybe Zibiit's wording is to blame, but he said "she is able to activate Critical Failure from a mastery failing to activate". He specifically uses parry and dexterity as examples, but this response was to "answer the question about masteries" as a whole. Something doesn't add up.

Yes but he is not saying the mastery as a whole will fail. He is saying only the buff caused by the mastery will fail....
    Therefore dex should work the block on a parry should work just not the stun.
    Perfect block, willpower, limber, all this stuff does not have a buff it is all just passive behind the scense stuff most of which alter base stats therefore will not fail.

Assuming @Kabam Zibiit has made the right call here.

Which means failed movement on dex And block breaking is clearly bugs
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,242 ★★★★★
    edited June 2018
    My theory is that the server is responsible for the RNG, so it triggers the second the potential procs, before the Animation follows. Basically, the RNG sends the information to Crit, and her Abilities depend on RNG as well. It seems instantaneous. Just a theory.

How many times do you need to be told that the fights don't take place on the servers?

I don't remember saying they took place on the servers. Not completely. That wasn't the theory. I said I thought the servers played a part in the proc. Still just a theory. Perhaps you could respond with points one of these times, rather than contradict what I say.

Yes but he is not saying the mastery as a whole will fail. He is saying only the buff caused by the mastery will fail....
    Perfect block, willpower, limber, all this stuff does not have a buff it is all just passive behind the scense stuff most of which alter base stats therefore will not fail.

@Maat1985 Zibiit literally said critical failure activates from a mastery failing to activate. So from what I gather, the masteries are abilities- parry has a 100% (reducible) chance to stun upon contact, and dexterity has a 100% (reducible) chance to create a crit buff. Additionally we have evidence that the chance to avoid an attack via dexterity is also 100%, and can be reduced (for example, Void's agility debuff reduces dex chance by 50%).

Therefore, I don't think you are correct when you said "He is saying only the buff caused by the mastery will fail", bc we have seen that the actual evasion part is also affected.

So what about the other masteries? As far as I've seen, you are right about wp, limber, and related, but I think that is because there is no reducible chance for them to activate. However, perfect block is not guaranteed, and only has a chance to occur- or rather, a chance to not occur. So can it trigger critical failure or not? To me, it's inconsistent if parry and dex trigger it but not perfect block (and this is further made confusing by the fact that the descriptions for parry and dex don't even mention that there is chance involved, but perfect block's does). Kabam needs to explain themselves
  • Blitzkilla420Blitzkilla420 Posts: 561 ★★★
    just nerf her already. if you cant see how broken she is then youre a lost cause. i dont understand whats the hold up here?

why hasnt any mod come back and clarify anything?

its 7 pages and onward now!
  • ezmoneyezmoney Posts: 208
    just nerf her already. if you cant see how broken she is then youre a lost cause. i dont understand whats the hold up here?

quit complaining.... nerf blade first. You're just pissed because you don't have her. All the blade scrubs can't deal with a champ who counters him. Deal with it and git gud baby.

@Maat1985 Zibiit literally said critical failure activates from a mastery failing to activate. So from what I gather, the masteries are abilities- parry has a 100% (reducible) chance to stun upon contact, and dexterity has a 100% (reducible) chance to create a crit buff. Additionally we have evidence that the chance to avoid an attack via dexterity is also 100%, and can be reduced (for example, Void's agility debuff reduces dex chance by 50%).

Therefore, I don't think you are correct when you said "He is saying only the buff caused by the mastery will fail", bc we have seen that the actual evasion part is also affected.

So what about the other masteries? As far as I've seen, you are right about wp, limber, and related, but I think that is because there is no reducible chance for them to activate. However, perfect block is not guaranteed, and only has a chance to occur- or rather, a chance to not occur. So can it trigger critical failure or not? To me, it's inconsistent if parry and dex trigger it but not perfect block (and this is further made confusing by the fact that the descriptions for parry and dex don't even mention that there is chance involved, but perfect block's does). Kabam needs to explain themselves

But he specifically states how he stun sill fail or the critical buff will fail.
    Why would he specifically state the buff component if the whole mastety could
    Fail???
    Yes we have seen blocks a d dex fail but that appears to be bugs.....
    It is fwr more often that the dex works and the crit buff fails then the dex itself fails...
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    ezmoney wrote: »

git gud baby.

Are you asking him to acquire a high quality infant or are you using an affectionate nickname for him? I.e. “get good, babe”
  • ezmoneyezmoney Posts: 208
    ezmoney wrote: »

git gud baby.

Are you asking him to acquire a high quality infant or are you using an affectionate nickname for him? I.e. “get good, babe”

both

I don't remember saying they took place on the servers. Not completely. That wasn't the theory. I said I thought the servers played a part in the proc. Still just a theory. Perhaps you could respond with points one of these times, rather than contradict what I say.

That theory is provably false, because as I've said every time I've seen you post a variation on this theory I've pointed out that combat does not require a network connection to be active during the fight, only when the fight starts.

A theory is a conjecture overwhelmingly supported by the facts available that isn't contradicted in a way that makes the conjecture provably invalid.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    Alliance mate found out unduped Magik does ok against Domino

But he specifically states how he stun sill fail or the critical buff will fail.
    Fail???
    It is fwr more often that the dex works and the crit buff fails then the dex itself fails...

Block breaking was confirmed to be a bug. Dex failing is a bit more unclear, because we know that it can be done (void, science sentinel).

Also he mentioned the buff component for dexterity, but he also mentioned the stun component for parry. So that suggests it has nothing to do with the buff itself. And don't forgot domino only reduces dex when you are unlucky, so that may be why you don't see it happen often.
    Also @taojay1 you can have a well timed block wothoutnthe parry mastery. You just get nothing for it.
    The parry mastery does not allow you to block something you otherwise couldnt. It just means when ur block is well timed you get the reduced damage and stun bonus

It could be a wording thing, since some words might have loaded developer-specific meanings. When Zibiit says that Domino is able to activate Critical Failure from a mastery "failing to activate" suppose perfect block doesn't "activate?" "Activation" might be a more technical word than we're assuming, just like "ability accuracy" means something totally different from what someone might guess those English words mean. Parry "activates" a stun by triggering an actual debuff. Dexterity activates a critical buff. But maybe Perfect Block doesn't activate anything. It has a chance to reduce damage to zero, but maybe it does that without activating anything in particular, as the game understands "activation."
    Also @taojay1 you can have a well timed block wothoutnthe parry mastery. You just get nothing for it.
    The parry mastery does not allow you to block something you otherwise couldnt. It just means when ur block is well timed you get the reduced damage and stun bonus

@Maat1985 yes I know that. How is this relevant? Domino doesn't prevent you from performing well-timed blocks, but she bypasses the stun just like bw. idk if the reduced damage is bypassed as well

Fail???

Block breaking was confirmed to be a bug. Dex failing is a bit more unclear, because we know that it can be done (void, science sentinel).

Also he mentioned the buff component for dexterity, but he also mentioned the stun component for parry. So that suggests it has nothing to do with the buff itself. And don't forgot domino only reduces dex when you are unlucky, so that may be why you don't see it happen often.

Yeah stops dex 100% when unlucky.... but can still fail other times...
    But dex is specially mentioned to fail when unlucky....
    It does seem as though it should be the buff not the movement....

Either way kabam need to clarify and word stuff better
This discussion has been closed.