**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Removal of Thorns: a new case for rank down tickets

Comments

• Options
    BullybreedBullybreed Posts: 17
    Great point here!
  • Options
    LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    danielmath wrote: »
    Once again, that's your opinion @GroundedWisdom. Correct, the champ did not physically change. Whether the utility of the champ constitutes "changes" in the eyes of Kabam is unknown at this point. Your opinion is that it does not. Others have the opinion that it does. But they're all opinions until Kabam confirms one way or the other.

Do they need to issue RDT every time anything changes? For example, part of why i ranked hulk to 5/50 is for poison path in AQ. If they get rid of poison path, do they need to give RDT for every poison immune champ in the game as "their utility changed"? It's absurd. I do understand that everyone wants free stuff and bailouts for mistakes though, par for the course.

I'm the wrong one to quote, lol. I said earlier in the thread that I'm not sure where I even stand on it, but nothing wrong with them asking the question of Kabam. Personally, I wouldn't have r4'd an Ant-Man ever so it's hard to empathize with the OP. I just think we should get more answers from Kabam and make sure we mark our opinions as such, IMO is a very helpful tool on the interwebs :)
  • Options
    Your_WelcomeYour_Welcome Posts: 24
    Be happy you have him. Once you r5 him. Kabam mike will send you a letter letting you know you beat the contest.
  • Options
    danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,046 ★★★★★
    danielmath wrote: »
    Once again, that's your opinion @GroundedWisdom. Correct, the champ did not physically change. Whether the utility of the champ constitutes "changes" in the eyes of Kabam is unknown at this point. Your opinion is that it does not. Others have the opinion that it does. But they're all opinions until Kabam confirms one way or the other.

Do they need to issue RDT every time anything changes? For example, part of why i ranked hulk to 5/50 is for poison path in AQ. If they get rid of poison path, do they need to give RDT for every poison immune champ in the game as "their utility changed"? It's absurd. I do understand that everyone wants free stuff and bailouts for mistakes though, par for the course.

I'm the wrong one to quote, lol. I said earlier in the thread that I'm not sure where I even stand on it, but nothing wrong with them asking the question of Kabam. Personally, I wouldn't have r4'd an Ant-Man ever so it's hard to empathize with the OP. I just think we should get more answers from Kabam and make sure we mark our opinions as such, IMO is a very helpful tool on the interwebs :)

Whoops, thread was super long so I didn't read every post so you just got caught in the cross fire haha. I don't think there's anything to ask here though, asking for a RDT in this situation is completely ridiculous. You know the OP just realizes he did something idiotic and wants a bailout.......and this is an excuse to ask for one.
  • Options
    Renegade_DoggyRenegade_Doggy Posts: 358 ★★
    edited August 2017
    Removal of thorns is interesting.

I ranked many skill champions to deal specifically with thorns nodes.

Since doing so, these champions have become obsolete due to Pure Skill Mastery (and diminishing returns), changes on nodes in AW, and now, removal. I really do not have a use for these champions anymore without thorns being present in the game.

Likewise, for those who ranked champions to capitalize specifically on Thorns (here's look at your Antman) I would be all for rank down tickets. To be fair, people rank champions for specific reasons. You don't need to change the champions to make them obsolete, you just need to remove the reason and suddenly they are obsolete.
  • Options
    Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★

Since doing so, these champions have become obsolete due to Pure Skill Mastery (and diminishing returns), changes on nodes in AW, and now, removal. I really do not have a use for these champions anymore without thorns being present in the game.

Likewise, for those who ranked champions to capitalize specifically on Thorns (here's look at your Antman) I would be all for rank down tickets. To be fair, people rank champions for specific reasons. You don't need to change the champions to make them obsolete, you just need to remove the reason and suddenly they are obsolete.

It could easily be argued that bypassing thorns is not their only use. BW for example can still be used against evaders and regenerators. Granted there may be other champs that do it better, but they still have that ability.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    Viper1987 wrote: »

It could easily be argued that bypassing thorns is not their only use. BW for example can still be used against evaders and regenerators. Granted there may be other champs that do it better, but they still have that ability.

That's exactly my point. The actual functionality of the Champ is not changed. Our application is elective. Now, if the removal of the Node somehow changed the Champ, I may see some validity. However, it does not. The Champ still performs the same regardless of what we use it for.
  • Options
    Ya if you give a RDT for antman you'd for sure have to give RDT for yondu and all defensive ability reducing champs, as well as cyclops as that node was his only purpose to go to 4/55
  • Options
    LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    It's a slippery slope, for sure. Can't really do champ specific as then it's up to Kabam to determine which champs were affected. I could argue my 5* bones should be ranked down (thorns attack). I have no desire to derank him, but I might if I had a ticket to re-allocate my T2a.
  • Options
    Don't forget that Doc Ock RDT because some people grinded for him for the ant man synergy
  • Options
    weavileweavile Posts: 288
    A. if they put new node like flare or buffet, ant man would be even better there.
    B. your skill champ will still be there to counter ultron, spidey, nc, etc
    C. r4 5* ant man before magik ,star lord or gwenpool is your fault.
  • Options
    ralmadaralmada Posts: 191
    edited August 2017
    Simple solution: just an in-game message for all of us with the following text: (title) A message from The Collector; (message) "Hello, dear Summoners. I've noticed that the Contest was not working smoothly for a looooooong time, which shouldn't happen. Please, accept these gifts as a sincere apology."

One or two 5* RDT's and three or four 4* RDT's will satisfy all players, regardless of all kinda "was not my fault" complaints.
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    MoiraD wrote: »
    Sungj wrote: »
    RDT's are for change to the Champ themselves. Not for the application of them. Nothing is being changed about the Champs.

I mostly agree but in some cases changes to the applications of certain champions could warrant RDTs. I personally feel no need to have rank down tickets but I can see the perspective of players who do. When will power was indirectly nerfed not scaling with inflated health people ranked down many champions because they were good only because of will power. The most glaring case was hulkbuster, pre 12.0 HB was a fantastic defender since will power made him take so little damage and with willpower nerfed he had no use as a defender any more so a many people used rdts to rank him down. Antman, luke cage, cyclops and colossus were mainly defender due to thorns nodes but now they are next to useless as defenders so even though the characters themselves weren't changed they might as well have been since one of their main uses were taken away.

The use of Champs in aspects like War is not the same as changing the actual performance of a Champ. Who people use in War is entirely up to them. They could have used SG on Thorns if they chose. Obviously not clever, but you get my point. The integrity of the Champ is not changed. Only an aspect of War that people most commonly used them on. It's not the same. It doesn't warrant RDT's. The Champs themselves have not been altered.

The integrity may not have changed, but the utility and in-game value of some champs certainly has. Starting in September, some champs will have less utility than they do this month. While the champ may not have changed, his or her usefulness has.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue, but you should let a mod shoot it down and not feel obliged to do it yourself. Just my opinion.

I do not have the authority to "shoot down" a Thread. I do have the right to comment whether in support of the idea or not. Truth is that's not what they're for. Nothing about the Champs has been changed. The only instances where they would be brought back are major changes to the Champs themselves (nerfs), as stated by Mods. The situation does not apply. Just because people used them for Thorns and the Node is changing doesn't mean there is anything different about the Champs. Therefore, it does not negate Ranking them or warrant the necessity to change them. People can jump on that and imply I'm trying to play Mod, but that's what generally happens when someone expresses some facts and views that are not in sync with their own. I'm not stopping the discussion. Just pointing out that it's not what they are for. It seems like every change that comes, people want them.

Facts are different that Views. Stating a view or opinion as a fact is how missinformation gets spread.

You are interpreting your view about RDTs and stating it as fact.

Getting back to the OP. That is an interesting reason for having a Rank Down Ticket. I don't usually agree with RDTs but I think if Kabam took a look at this issue that would be appreciated. They should take an average of the champions on Thorns and see how that plays out with what the community is talking about.

This is similar to this hypothesis; What if Kabam changed it so AW Defenders were not affected the summoners Mastery.
    Would this many people rank up MD, or rank up Magic/Juggs/Dormamu/etc?

It is fact when it's based on repeated comments from the Mods regarding RDT's. The subject has been brought up many times, and that's their stance. My view is that it doesn't apply to what they're for.

Ahh thank your for clarifying your comments.

Fact, mods have stated that RDTs are only for when big nerds/changes happen to champions

You're view, is that this particular issue does not fall under said mod statements as related to RDTs. Other people have a different view than yours.

So until a mod comes in and says that this situation does not apply to RDT it looks like everyone is just brainstorming ideas. No one is right or wrong, so cooling your jets in your condescending know it all tone might be appreciated by the other folks in this thread. You know, to keep things civil.
    Fact, RDTs are specifically for champion changes not content changes, this has been addressed by mods in the past.

Fact, this issue is not a champion specific change.

Fact, the opening line in the OP is a misrepresentation of what has been said and people are basing their arguments and desires off of that falsehood.

Fact, people are grasping at straws in an effort to coax RDTs from Kabam.

Here is a moderator addressing this. /thread? Yeah right people are so desperate to exploit RDTs they'll do what ever mental gymnastics are required to argue for them.

Hiya Raa, there aren't any plans for releasing rank-down tickets for the release of 6-Stars. Rank-down tickets were initially given out because of changes that were made to specific Champs, but weren't intended to be given for changes that aren't made directly to specific Champions. The addition of 6-Star Champs in 2018 won't alter any Champions in players' rosters and these current rosters will continue to remain valuable. This is all a part of the natural progression of the Contest. Since the topic of rank-down tickets has been addressed before and our position hasn't changed, I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread. https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/93941#Comment_93941
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,798 ★★★★★
    That's exactly my point. The actual functionality of the Champ is not changed. Our application is elective. Now, if the removal of the Node somehow changed the Champ, I may see some validity. However, it does not. The Champ still performs the same regardless of what we use it for.

Hi. Wish to clarify this way.
    I understand Dormammu (I don't have this champ) has a degen against champs which procs certain abilities.
    Suppose, I rank Dormammu up to increase this degen ability or effect and it reaches the point of being OP.

Now, if the game developer in order to balance the champs; decides to put in every other champ an ability to nullify this degen. Nothing has changed for Dormammu. The degen is still there but it cannot work against any champs at all.

Does this warrants an action re "compensation" or whatever that is called?

Anyway, on face value, there is no change to the champ.
    Adora's post.
  • Options
    EvilEmpireEvilEmpire Posts: 639 ★★★
    Run477 wrote: »
    EvilEmpire wrote: »
    Yeah indirect nerfing needs to be accounted for a lot more. Every landscape altering adjustment affects values and the AM/thorns example is just one of them. I could manipulate any champ however I wanted without touching the base stats directly. If they adjust a mastery or take out a very champ specific war node the affected champs should potentially be given rdt consideration.

Arch angel has made magik much more manageable? Black widow made duped spidey easier. Do u consider adding champs that can more easily defeat an opponent to be an "indirect nerf"?

No the lock and key component has always existed in the game, they need to continue to present new challenges and solutions but what I'm saying is nerfs are done indirectly all the time and they get to wipe they're hands of them with no compensation because they don't directly change anything within the champs kit. Let's just assume eventually something is "adjusted" with MD because it's created a considerable disparity between Mystics and the other 5 classes. Everyone's Magik, Dorm, Hood, Mordo, DS, SW, Voodoo etc will all have effectively been nerfed. Your decision to rank them has been influenced by this mastery and suddenly things are different. You can't tell me that's not a nerf all affected champs should be atleast be given a window for rdt at a minimum and that doesn't even take into consideration awakenings or sig stones invested.
  • Options
    I think if its an adjustment to the mastery, then following the previous Will power and was it Leadership, there will be a refund of the invested mastery.
  • Options
    Run477Run477 Posts: 1,391 ★★★
    To summarize again. T2as were the rarest thing in the game. Their purpose was to make sure there was some kind of cap on progression. You used them on a champ like ant man or winter soldier, that was your choice. But you shouldn't get to undo that choice later bc now you are unsatisfied with the choice (I don't care that they changed nodes in war. It was still your choice to r4 an ant man). When rank down tickets were issued after 12.0, all the alliances that went crazy taking up terrible champs to 5* r4 for "prestige" ranked down their terrible champs and ranked up newer champs. That should have never beeen allowed by kabam and it should never be allowed again.

As for ranking down skill champs, they have other uses. Map 6 aq had a thorns node. They stop spidey evades. There are way more things in this game than thorns. And frankly, the fact that people have black widow at rank 5 for thorns nodes at all after her nerf baffles me. You had the chance to rank her down then and you didn't. You are getting a benefit of not having to bring a subpar champ to war now.
  • Options
    How about a modified RDT which does not returns everything but only gold and isos?
  • Options
    winterthur wrote: »

Hi. Wish to clarify this way.
    I understand Dormammu (I don't have this champ) has a degen against champs which procs certain abilities.
    Suppose, I rank Dormammu up to increase this degen ability or effect and it reaches the point of being OP.

Now, if the game developer in order to balance the champs; decides to put in every other champ an ability to nullify this degen. Nothing has changed for Dormammu. The degen is still there but it cannot work against any champs at all.

Does this warrants an action re "compensation" or whatever that is called?

Anyway, on face value, there is no change to the champ.
    Adora's post.

Thanks for supporting my comment. Somehow the quotes got muffled. Lol.
  • Options
    Viper1987Viper1987 Posts: 728 ★★★
    winterthur wrote: »
    How about a modified RDT which does not returns everything but only gold and isos?

That sounds pointless.
  • Options
    TheMageHunterTheMageHunter Posts: 711 ★★
    weavile wrote: »
    A. if they put new node like flare or buffet, ant man would be even better there.
    B. your skill champ will still be there to counter ultron, spidey, nc, etc
    C. r4 5* ant man before magik ,star lord or gwenpool is your fault.
    A. That node is too overpowered to be put in AW
    B. Agreed no need for RDT in this one
    C. I would have ranked them if I actually had them but you know SOME of us don't get that lucky to pull one of those champs and dupe them
  • Options
    OKAYGangOKAYGang Posts: 524 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    I see both sides here. I feel your pain if you ranked specific champs to place on or deal with thorns. They are most likely useless now. On the other side of that coin those champs served their purpose, and helped you win wars and earn extra 5* shards that the losers didn't get and oh btw the avilabilty of t2a is supposed to increase as well now so you are in a good spot when that happens regardless. I am 50/50 on this. Would love to see a moderator statement or better yet something from the game team on why they would or would not consider the OP's original arguments valid.

All of the above said, I personally would love to see a small amount of rank down tickets issued for no particular reason but with no expiration date attached to them this time. The original batch felt rushed to me with all the incentive events running to encourage us to use them fast, not to mention they also had an expiration date. I would have loved to have been able to hold onto one or two for each star level to save forever as a failsafe for a future big mistake of ranking up a highly anticipated new champ that winds up being badly bugged or just complete garbage. (Think Phoenix when she was first released as a playable champ, it could happen again)
  • Options
    OKAYGang wrote: »
    I see both sides here. I feel your pain if you ranked specific champs to place on or deal with thorns. They are most likely useless now. On the other side of that coin those champs served their purpose, and helped you win wars and earn extra 5* shards that the losers didn't get and oh btw the avilabilty of t2a is supposed to increase as well now so you are in a good spot when that happens regardless. I am 50/50 on this. Would love to see a moderator statement or better yet something from the game team on why they would or would not consider the OP's original arguments valid.

All of the above said, I personally would love to see a small amount of rank down tickets issued for no particular reason but with no expiration date attached to them this time. The original batch felt rushed to me with all the incentive events running to encourage us to use them fast, not to mention they also had an expiration date. I would have loved to have been able to hold onto one or two for each star level to save forever as a failsafe for a future big mistake of ranking up a highly anticipated new champ that winds up being badly bugged or just complete garbage. (Think Phoenix when she was first released as a playable champ, it could happen again)

Phoenix gets too much guff. She's capable of some great Damage with 5+ Fury. 10, and you're golden.
  • Options
    Dark_King888Dark_King888 Posts: 227
    I agree. With Thorns gone, as also Slashed Tires, I would say a few rank down tickets are in order.

But if I know Kabam, I think the new patch may be a heaping pile of (cough) fertilizer and they may give rank downs to appease people when they re patch to fix it.
  • Options
    HoidCosmereHoidCosmere Posts: 550 ★★
    edited August 2017
    CoatHang3r wrote: »
    Sungj wrote: »
    RDT's are for change to the Champ themselves. Not for the application of them. Nothing is being changed about the Champs.

I mostly agree but in some cases changes to the applications of certain champions could warrant RDTs. I personally feel no need to have rank down tickets but I can see the perspective of players who do. When will power was indirectly nerfed not scaling with inflated health people ranked down many champions because they were good only because of will power. The most glaring case was hulkbuster, pre 12.0 HB was a fantastic defender since will power made him take so little damage and with willpower nerfed he had no use as a defender any more so a many people used rdts to rank him down. Antman, luke cage, cyclops and colossus were mainly defender due to thorns nodes but now they are next to useless as defenders so even though the characters themselves weren't changed they might as well have been since one of their main uses were taken away.

The use of Champs in aspects like War is not the same as changing the actual performance of a Champ. Who people use in War is entirely up to them. They could have used SG on Thorns if they chose. Obviously not clever, but you get my point. The integrity of the Champ is not changed. Only an aspect of War that people most commonly used them on. It's not the same. It doesn't warrant RDT's. The Champs themselves have not been altered.

The integrity may not have changed, but the utility and in-game value of some champs certainly has. Starting in September, some champs will have less utility than they do this month. While the champ may not have changed, his or her usefulness has.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue, but you should let a mod shoot it down and not feel obliged to do it yourself. Just my opinion.

I do not have the authority to "shoot down" a Thread. I do have the right to comment whether in support of the idea or not. Truth is that's not what they're for. Nothing about the Champs has been changed. The only instances where they would be brought back are major changes to the Champs themselves (nerfs), as stated by Mods. The situation does not apply. Just because people used them for Thorns and the Node is changing doesn't mean there is anything different about the Champs. Therefore, it does not negate Ranking them or warrant the necessity to change them. People can jump on that and imply I'm trying to play Mod, but that's what generally happens when someone expresses some facts and views that are not in sync with their own. I'm not stopping the discussion. Just pointing out that it's not what they are for. It seems like every change that comes, people want them.

Facts are different that Views. Stating a view or opinion as a fact is how missinformation gets spread.

You are interpreting your view about RDTs and stating it as fact.

Getting back to the OP. That is an interesting reason for having a Rank Down Ticket. I don't usually agree with RDTs but I think if Kabam took a look at this issue that would be appreciated. They should take an average of the champions on Thorns and see how that plays out with what the community is talking about.

This is similar to this hypothesis; What if Kabam changed it so AW Defenders were not affected the summoners Mastery.
    Would this many people rank up MD, or rank up Magic/Juggs/Dormamu/etc?

It is fact when it's based on repeated comments from the Mods regarding RDT's. The subject has been brought up many times, and that's their stance. My view is that it doesn't apply to what they're for.

Ahh thank your for clarifying your comments.

Fact, mods have stated that RDTs are only for when big nerds/changes happen to champions

You're view, is that this particular issue does not fall under said mod statements as related to RDTs. Other people have a different view than yours.

So until a mod comes in and says that this situation does not apply to RDT it looks like everyone is just brainstorming ideas. No one is right or wrong, so cooling your jets in your condescending know it all tone might be appreciated by the other folks in this thread. You know, to keep things civil.
    Fact, RDTs are specifically for champion changes not content changes, this has been addressed by mods in the past.

Fact, this issue is not a champion specific change.

Fact, the opening line in the OP is a misrepresentation of what has been said and people are basing their arguments and desires off of that falsehood.

Fact, people are grasping at straws in an effort to coax RDTs from Kabam.

Here is a moderator addressing this. /thread? Yeah right people are so desperate to exploit RDTs they'll do what ever mental gymnastics are required to argue for them.

Hiya Raa, there aren't any plans for releasing rank-down tickets for the release of 6-Stars. Rank-down tickets were initially given out because of changes that were made to specific Champs, but weren't intended to be given for changes that aren't made directly to specific Champions. The addition of 6-Star Champs in 2018 won't alter any Champions in players' rosters and these current rosters will continue to remain valuable. This is all a part of the natural progression of the Contest. Since the topic of rank-down tickets has been addressed before and our position hasn't changed, I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread. https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/93941#Comment_93941

You keep using that word "Fact", I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

Sincerely,
    Inigo Montoya
  • Options
    gnews85gnews85 Posts: 96
    I definitely see the argument. I side with the call for rdt issuance, but that's cause I've been wanting to rank down my r4 ironman since I ranked him up haha. If rdt's don't come with this update, they certainly will when md gets nerfed. I still believe that ones coming down the pipe sometime soon
  • Options
    Eos_Nano_XEos_Nano_X Posts: 304
    edited August 2017
    Your own accord drove you to bring Ant-Man to r4.
    Sure hes no longer going to be suited to a specific node anymore (unless AW post 15.0 has nodes for poison and damage reduction) but your Ant-Man is a r4 5* champ...
    I dont know anyone, real friends or in-game ones with a single 5* over r3...
    Hes still gonna be a powerhouse against 90% of the 4* champions you'll face.
  • Options
    KevinFF1961KevinFF1961 Posts: 93
    The hard fact is that kabam is doing all they can to destroy their business model with this game. Whatever happened to them discussing changes with a beta team? We haven't heard anything about those if it even happens. Who would have thought these changes would be a good thing?

As for RDT, it is beyond obvious this is what their customers want. They aren't listening and their arguments suck. I'm not going to say that everyone will mass quit over this but I think we all know some alliances that are going to take big hours because people are tired of the cash grab. I myself am considering how involved I want to be at this point.

Furthermore, the fact that we have 120 comments on this thread and the moderators have been silent is astonishing. Not just this thread, but if you look in general discussion, it's like they're all on vacation. I've found this to be an issue since moving to this new forum
  • Options
    SkyRattlersSkyRattlers Posts: 56
    Sorry but if they give rank down tickets for this then what's to stop someone from saying they need one for Hulkbuster, or Collosus, or even Iron Man, or SIM? You can argue that many champs are solid choices for the thorns nodes. Who decides which of those champs have legit gripes and should get rank down tickets and which ones are not good choices and therefore won't get tickets.

It seems that every time a change is made people think they deserve Rank Down Tickets. Kabam has been very clear that they don't want to ever have to give them out again. IF they do get into a situation where they are necessary it will only be because of direct changes to a champions abilities. ie. if they someday decide Hyperion's power gain is too much and reduce it then you can probably expect to get a rank down ticket that will be locked for use only on Hyperion.

Outside of very specific examples like that you may as well just stop asking for tickets. It's not going to happen.
This discussion has been closed.