Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

1 star champions

Comments

• Options
    SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,147 ★★★★★
    I'd like them to invent a 'star-down' option where I could turn my 2* Hulk into a 1*, because I know I'll get him from premiums in the future but I may never get him as a 1* at all.
  • Options
    Jaina97Jaina97 Posts: 59

@Jaina97 He makes a good point tbh, accounts these days don’t stay in the early-game phase long enough to acquire many 1*s. I started my account in July, and only picked up 4 myself, but was lucky enough to pull a 1* hulk from the (unusually expensive) hero crystals and get that 100%.

But many people won’t be as fortunate, lacking the right champs through no fault of their own, and will be disinclined to pay out 50 units for a slim chance at getting the necessary champs. I can fully sympathise with that.

I’m not saying I agree with all of Kabam’s decisions regarding this Variant. Caustic Temper was, for sure, an unexpected choice for a 1*-gated quest.

But we have to consider V4 from a wider perspective - it is a Variant level piece of content after all. The previous 3 Variants also had paths which required a specific set of champions in order to clear cheaply, and the Caustic Temper path follows this trend. Of course, in this particular case, the path only has one viable option (Hulk), despite the supplementary bleed vulnerability node. You could argue that this makes it more unfair, as other similarly limiting paths in the other Variants offered multiple viable options. Whilst this is true, those other Variants were not accompanied by a crystal that would let you specifically target the required champ(s), which is essentially what the hero crystal does. It may not come with the most appealing cost or odds, but it’s there to somewhat compensate for the fact that this one path has only one answer.

And at the end of the day, there’s no rush to explore V4 as soon as possible, as it’s permanent content, and it’s already been mentioned that there will be some events in the unconfirmed future which will allow you to acquire 1* champs outside of the hero crystal. Apologies for the essay, it’s a slow day at work.

Look, I have no issue with the champion collection aspect of being able to complete content. I am not ready to do v1 and hence I don't complain about having the champs that I need. I open crystals and I try to get them. However, the big difference is that I can get said champions from multiple sources in the game. That is simply not true for variant 4. People that sold champions shot themselves in the foot but newer players are being penalised for never pulling them in the first place. That, imo, is highly unfair.
  • Options

I have only two 1* champs on my second account...I never sold any, just knew enough to move through the content quickly and not invest in crystals or champs lower than 4*.

The "you shouldn't have sold your champs" crowd are ignorant. Not everyone had them in the first place, and even if they did they wouldn't know the "don't sell rule" unless they were active in a community. Most people don't hear that until they have joined an alliance or have played it long enough to look online for guidance. It's not spelled out anywhere in the game itself so it's ridiculous to punish people or get an uppity attitude with those weren't informed.

Too many ignorant people commenting "Shouldn't have sold champions". Sold what? You can't sell something you don't own. It's economics 101. Go back to school.
  • Options

Jaina97 said:

It's pretty simple. I've think I sold a 2* but I've never sold a champ since. This is a way to reward people for the way they play the game.

What part of "Watch the video" did you not understand? He talks about newer accounts not pulling more than the 2 1 stars you get in the first 15 minutes of playing. And that's a big problem seeing as you need atleast 2 separate champions for exploration.
    Newer Accounts don't really need to worry about Variant 4. It's also a different perspective when you're starting another Account after already playing for X amount of years.
    Based on your deep knowledge of the game? I am 2 weeks away from being ready to do v4 and I started 6 months ago. Like I said earlier, it's not even that new and still I have this problem. Its not like the other variants, the hardest bits are saturated early on.
  • Options

Jaina97 said:

It's pretty simple. I've think I sold a 2* but I've never sold a champ since. This is a way to reward people for the way they play the game.

What part of "Watch the video" did you not understand? He talks about newer accounts not pulling more than the 2 1 stars you get in the first 15 minutes of playing. And that's a big problem seeing as you need atleast 2 separate champions for exploration.
    Newer Accounts don't really need to worry about Variant 4. It's also a different perspective when you're starting another Account after already playing for X amount of years.
    The different perspective is that I know not to sell the 2 champs I have. People that are new players with new accounts in 2019 not only do not know that selling champs is bad, but they are also not getting the chance to acquire enough in the first place. Also, if I went back for another account, I would now know that I could potentially slow down my progression to collect 1 stars but again, newer players lack this insight. In summary, old players with new accounts feel robbed but new players with new accounts are straight up getting screwed.
  • Options
    SempaidavidSempaidavid Posts: 114
    How would a new player know not to sell champs? Seriously? It's not helpful in any way to say, "you shouldn't have sold champs". The sell button is there, Kabam intended you to sell champs or the button wouldn't be there.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,268 ★★★★★
    Jaina97 said:

Jaina97 said:

Based on your deep knowledge of the game? I am 2 weeks away from being ready to do v4 and I started 6 months ago. Like I said earlier, it's not even that new and still I have this problem. Its not like the other variants, the hardest bits are saturated early on.
    Based on the fact that people starting out have a normative level of progression that isn't the same as others making Alts with more game experience. My own experience supports the fact that it's not a given that we should have everything we need readily available when new content is released. That's not a requirement for good design. In fact, creating content that is for a specific demographic pretty much dictates that some will have what they need, and others will have to acquire it later on.
  • Options

How would a new player know not to sell champs? Seriously? It's not helpful in any way to say, "you shouldn't have sold champs". The sell button is there, Kabam intended you to sell champs or the button wouldn't be there.

There's also a button to sell catalysts. Does Kabam intend you to sell all your catalysts? How about all your boosts, your potions, your awakening gems, your mastery cores, your energy refills? Do you believe Kabam intends you to sell all of those? If so, have you done it yet?

Games are about presenting options to the players. And if all options were the best options, there'd be no point in playing the game. If you're only allowed to do what the game developer intends you to do, you aren't playing a game you are watching a PowerPoint presentation.
  • Options
    MattManMattMan Posts: 434 ★★★★
    edited December 2019
    DNA3000 said:

Jaina97 said:

To anyone saying, "Shouldn't have sold your champions", Seatin just uploaded. Go watch the last 2-3 minutes of his rant, then come back. The big point is being missed and everyone needs to understand what people are trying to say.

This is something Seatin tends to be blind to - that the game has no obligation to make every optimal choice available instantly. He shows that blindness when he talks about how worthless the bleed vulnerability node is. It is if you believe the Variant content was designed only for the options that exist now. It tells Seatin that the game developers are dumb. It tells me that better options are going to come along
    While I’m on the fence about this whole 1* scenario, this point you’re trying to make isn’t quite fair.

When was the last time new 1*’s were added to the game? There’s no reason (right now) to expect new ones.

In this context he was talking about the bleed vulnerability node being paired with caustic temper. With the set of 1*’s available, only one is truly viable to get passed it - Hulk, who can’t benefit from the bleed vulnerability.

Realistically I can see only two reasons for the caustic temper lane to be there: poor design or deliberate paywall (by way of using revives or buying crystals looking for hulk).
  • Options
    DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    MattMan said:

DNA3000 said:

Jaina97 said:

To anyone saying, "Shouldn't have sold your champions", Seatin just uploaded. Go watch the last 2-3 minutes of his rant, then come back. The big point is being missed and everyone needs to understand what people are trying to say.

This is something Seatin tends to be blind to - that the game has no obligation to make every optimal choice available instantly. He shows that blindness when he talks about how worthless the bleed vulnerability node is. It is if you believe the Variant content was designed only for the options that exist now. It tells Seatin that the game developers are dumb. It tells me that better options are going to come along
    While I’m on the fence about this whole 1* scenario, this point you’re trying to make isn’t quite fair.

When was the last time new 1*’s were added to the game? There’s no reason (right now) to expect new ones.

In this context he was talking about the bleed vulnerability node being paired with caustic temper. With the set of 1*’s available, only one is truly viable to get passed it - Hulk, who can’t benefit from the bleed vulnerability.

Realistically I can see only two reasons for the caustic temper lane to be there: poor design or deliberate paywall (by way of using revives or buying crystals looking for hulk).
    Having finished chapter 3 (working backwards because I'm having fun with my older champs) I found the bleed vulnerability node on caustic temper helpful. Not wanting to reset my masteries just for magik I used gamora and bp to take her down 60% before dieing from the poison. I dont use many revives and had plenty in the overflow anyway. Also having farmed rol prior to the release it was pretty cheap to replace the health on my champs. This method also helped shorten the time needed for that mordo fight you have to do 3 times. They offered the bleed as an alternative to using hulk with the penalty of using revives. For those complaining about not having hulk and not wanting to wait for another 1* champ crystal to roll around at a cheaper price or from pvp it's an option you can use to power through the lane with resources gathered naturally by playing the game. The 22 hour event gives a free one every day and they have the halls of healing and regular quest you can farm for revives. It's a little more time and effort but at no spending for free to play players without hulk
  • Options
    SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,147 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

There's also a button to sell catalysts. Does Kabam intend you to sell all your catalysts? How about all your boosts, your potions, your awakening gems, your mastery cores, your energy refills? Do you believe Kabam intends you to sell all of those? If so, have you done it yet?
    Not a good analogy at all - no-one is complaining because they sold ALL their champs; the complaints are from those of us who sold our 1* champs under the reasonable (at the time) assumption that if you have a 2* Wolverine then you will never have a use for your 1*.
    And now, five years into the game, when there is finally a good reason to use 1* champs there is only one way to get them back - a way which takes either time and luck or money and luck.
  • Options
    WhathappenedWhathappened Posts: 747 ★★★
    I get why people are complaining but to be fair Kabam has on several occasions sold crystals that have 1 star champs in them and probably will again, not counting the current one. Overall I think V4 is great but champ requirements always stink. It considerably easier/cheaper to get a 1 star than a 6 star though.
  • Options

Jaina97 said:

Jaina97 said:

Based on the fact that people starting out have a normative level of progression that isn't the same as others making Alts with more game experience. My own experience supports the fact that it's not a given that we should have everything we need readily available when new content is released. That's not a requirement for good design. In fact, creating content that is for a specific demographic pretty much dictates that some will have what they need, and others will have to acquire it later on.
    This is the most noob friendly variant yet. And noobs are the ones getting most shafted. Those two are contradictory sets of occurrences which makes it really silly that they exist together.
  • Options
    Jaina97 said:

Jaina97 said:

Jaina97 said:

This is the most noob friendly variant yet. And noobs are the ones getting most shafted. Those two are contradictory sets of occurrences which makes it really silly that they exist together.
    Noob-friendly Variant is a bit of a contradiction. These are designed with End-Game in mind.
  • Options
    Josh056Josh056 Posts: 126
    edited December 2019
    I’m just curious as to when other hero crystals are going to have these backwards odds. I’m fine with them adding the 1* requirement for V4. But if you’re going to put a hero crystal in the game then the odds for the lower star champs should be greater. You know, just like every other hero crystal in the game. Just want some consistency. #moneygrab

• Options
    Josh056 said:

I’m just curious as to when other hero crystals are going to have these backwards odds. I’m fine with them adding the 1* requirement for V4. But if you’re going to put a hero crystal in the game then the odds for the lower star champs should be greater. You know, just like every other hero crystal in the game. Just want some consistency. #moneygrab

That defeats the whole point of the Crystal. It's by design. People aren't buying them to get 2*s. You can pull that anytime from a PHC.
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,839 ★★★★★

Started playing in August. Never sold any champ. Idk how many 1*’s older players were able to obtain but if its more than us newer players, than OP/Seatin are not wrong.
  • Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    "I am having a proper laugh right now!"
  • Options
    GagoH said:

Started playing in August. Never sold any champ. Idk how many 1*’s older players were able to obtain but if its more than us newer players, than OP/Seatin are not wrong.

Most veterans have the full set of 12 provided they never sold any. And you actually look like you had some bad(good now? Idk lol) luck in the initial 1 and 2 star crystals to get 4. I only have 2 on my baby account
  • Options
    Midknight007Midknight007 Posts: 764 ★★★
    edited December 2019
    I watched his rant before reading this post. You still shouldn’t have sold your champs. At the end of the day, it was the player’s choice for selling their roster. Whether it was to reduce the amount of scrolling or for crystals, that was their decision. It turns out that they made a poor choice.

We are mostly adults, and if not you love and learn. It is not a “cash grab”. There are events that have crystals for these 1* and 2* champs (like when they ran Gwenpool goes to the movies). V4 is permanent content and it will be there when you reacquire the champs needed and rank them back up.

I don’t see why a player like me that never sold a champ needs to feel pity or shame for those that were either greedy for the shards or too lazy to press their filter on their Champion lists. You made a decision and ended up hurting yourself. Look in the mirror if you are upset as you are the only one to blame for your choices. Kabam, and no one else, didn’t force you to sell your champs.
  • Options
    nOuxnOux Posts: 522 ★★★

DNA3000 said:

Jaina97 said:

1. If you sold champs, you shouldn't have.

2. Most players didn't sell champs out of "ignorance." They did so because they thought selling champs would give them an advantage. They were not ignorant, they were simply wrong. You can also sell all your potions for gold, but that is also very likely to be an incorrect decision. But that is also not an ignorant decision, just a wrong one. We can't take away all possibility of making wrong decisions, because that removes the element of making right ones. The game rewards players for making good decisions; if you take away the ability to make worse ones, no one can be rewarded for making better ones.

3. Regardless of whether you sold champs or simply didn't get them due to circumstances of your gameplay, you have an additional option besides the one Seatin mentions of spending huge amounts of units or money. You can wait. This is not an instant gratification game. Sometimes the best option is to wait until better options comes along.

This is something Seatin tends to be blind to - that the game has no obligation to make every optimal choice available instantly. He shows that blindness when he talks about how worthless the bleed vulnerability node is. It is if you believe the Variant content was designed only for the options that exist now. It tells Seatin that the game developers are dumb. It tells me that better options are going to come along, and I can either power through with what I have now or wait for them to arrive.

Basically, if you had good options for Variant but you sold them, it is your fault. You're supposed to know better in a game like this, and if you didn't, well now you do. You'll do better the next time you play a progression based game like this. And if you never had those options, you can spend a huge amount today to try to get them if you feel you deserve to do everything immediately, and be one of the impatient people who fund the game for the rest of us: thanks. Or you can wait for better less expensive options to come along, and be rewarded for your patience with a much less expensive game. The choice is yours, and it is a choice that should never be taken away from the player.
    What’s your point? You keep on lecturing people not sell champs or “you shouldn’t have sold champs”. Everybody gets it!

But don’t you see any valid points raised by other summoners that have leveled too fast?

So your solution is wait and hope that Kabam releases better, cheaper for those 1* champs from other than those 50 units crystals? Then why vilify people raising this exact solution that Kabam release better options for 1* champs?

U dont have to hope that they will let you obtain 1* in the future, Kabam said them self in the future there will be options to get 1* champions.
    If u dont have patience to wait then u will have to buy it now and pray for RNG to get the right one.
  • Options
    Horror_punkHorror_punk Posts: 1,053 ★★★★
    Then also provide option to sell 5/6 star champs like you did with 1/2/3/4* why such bias with 5/6 stars
    This is a pure cash grab by reversing the odds of getting lower tiered champs in crystal

Either apply such drop rates to PHC also or don’t apply it to 1* crystals

Pure hypocrisy by developers
    They never left a single way to earn money
  • Options

Then also provide option to sell 5/6 star champs like you did with 1/2/3/4* why such bias with 5/6 stars
    This is a pure cash grab by reversing the odds of getting lower tiered champs in crystal

Either apply such drop rates to PHC also or don’t apply it to 1* crystals

Pure hypocrisy by developers
    They never left a single way to earn money

Talking about hypocrisy, U will sell your 5* and when kabam make something similar that u need specific 5* to complete content what u going to do then? Come and complain about it on forums again? No one is forcing you to buy those crystals, they will be available to obtain in different ways in the future. U dont want to buy, u dont want to wait... stop acting like spoiled child. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    This is not reversed drop rates, its exactly what they supposed to be. No one is buying those crystals for 2*, everyone is buying them for 1*.