**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

What's your favorite arena team to select to annoy whoever matches you?

Comments

• I can see them building the potential matchup lists based on “sampling” of who (or how) people have created their own teams to use in Arena. I just don’t think that it is directly correlating who you have recently used and taken that verbatim as “your own opponent matchup” that people will face against you. (as originally suggested).

After all, that one same opponent you were always facing, that would mean he wasn’t doing any other arena himself inbetween some days separating when you’ve faced him. Might be that those were the highest/best team he has on his roster and you kept matching him at a time when very few people started to have the next set of “Rank possible” heroes. (such as teams with a 6* r3 on it now, but back when they were 5* r4 and then later 5* r5.)
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

I can see them building the potential matchup lists based on “sampling” of who (or how) people have created their own teams to use in Arena. I just don’t think that it is directly correlating who you have recently used and taken that verbatim as “your own opponent matchup” that people will face against you. (as originally suggested).

After all, that one same opponent you were always facing, that would mean he wasn’t doing any other arena himself inbetween some days separating when you’ve faced him. Might be that those were the highest/best team he has on his roster and you kept matching him at a time when very few people started to have the next set of “Rank possible” heroes. (such as teams with a 6* r3 on it now, but back when they were 5* r4 and then later 5* r5.)

The only thing that was originally suggested is that opponents you face come from teams other people entered. I never said every team you enter faces someone or how they're selected

It was merely a silly post asking what teams do you put together hoping that someone gets stuck with them
    Team no fun just decided to jump in and hijack it trying to argue
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

No way Kabam is sitting there storing huge amounts of Arena Teams for every person in the game, eating up a ton of extra storage, and then constantly updating them all the time as you continue to run more arena yourself.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's what they are doing, only this doesn't require as much storage as you think. Just a bunch of hashes probably.
    Also - in this day and age, storage is cheap as chips.
    Well, yes and no. Storage in an abstract sense is cheap, but storing things in a way that they are usable in context can sometimes be complicated or expensive enough to want to optimize things.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian

I can see them building the potential matchup lists based on “sampling” of who (or how) people have created their own teams to use in Arena. I just don’t think that it is directly correlating who you have recently used and taken that verbatim as “your own opponent matchup” that people will face against you. (as originally suggested).

Well, technically speaking it does. If, as you yourself suggested, it is unlikely that the game servers are memorizing every single team you've ever used, then the only ones it can sample match against are the ones you've used most recently, because that's all the game is remembering.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the arena system uses an algorithm analogous to how Netflow works: instead of looking at every single network packet, which would take too long, Netflow samples one packet every so many packets and builds a picture of what's happening statistically. Maybe the arena system looks at every ten or hundred or thousand arena fights and makes note of what the teams look like, and builds up a set of circular buffers that keep a record of recently used teams at different strength levels, then randomly selects from those. If you're facing a non-Kang/Thanos team, it would be because that team was used relatively in the arena under this theory.

In fact, I've often wondered if one of the reasons why I sometimes see the same guys over and over again is because I myself generally grind at similar times every day, and if other grinders do so as well that might be "biasing" us to face each other's teams, because our activity is what's filling the arena team buffers at that time. That might be leaking details of how the implementation works.

If anyone knows "JediMeisterYoda" I'm curious to know if there was a stretch of several months when it seemed like he was facing me constantly. I haven't seen him recently that I can recall, but there was a stretch in the first half of 2019 when it seemed like a quarter of my high level matches included that guy.
  • TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    I have seen sandbagging teams so the arena teams are def from players set teams.
  • Thi101Thi101 Posts: 808 ★★★

Thi101 said:

But... you can’t annoy the AI ‘-‘

AI isnt controlling the person that matches against that team if they for some reason select it....
    5 years in this game and I never knew this.
    Wow
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,103 ★★★★★

Mine.

So.. it's you then!!! 😁
    Haha, yeah, didn't read everything, but I'm pretty sure you're right. I believe the game does use teams that people load. And yeah, it is funny. Sometimes while playing arena I mumble to myself.. "wow, who's the jerk that loaded this team?" Hahaha
  • Kevo9513Kevo9513 Posts: 356 ★★
    I fought against a korg annihulus and havok once and havent gone to arena since
  • CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    Lol, this is honestly hilarious. @Worknprogress is totally right. The teams you pic, absolutely are used against others.

I do a lot of arena and matched @gzrbang a lot. We were in an ally together and matched each other pretty regularly over about a year. When I left that ally I still matched with him a lot for the next 6 months. I rarely ever match with him now.

I was a deathmatch for an ally mate over 2 months and they would be my top champs in the teams I would pick. This happened about 6 months ago.

I used to face @BrianGrant all the time in arena. I would get snapshots from ppl in my ally who watch his stream. I even watched his stream one time and it was always teams I chose. This happened a lot from about 9 months ago until about 2 months ago, now I rarely see him. Ally-mate @Ordalca can confirm.

@Professor_Skill is someone I see all the time currently, with some questionable rank ups to say the least.

While none of this is “proof” but a lot of things that lead me to believe the teams you pick face others. I have seen no proof otherwise so I choose this as my opinion on this matter.

Also, there is definitely some algorithm of a sort of pool of ppl you face. If you pay attention you will see the same names over and over again for long periods and ppl will phase in and out.
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 2,421 ★★★★
    Diabolical, I love it.

Mine.

So.. it's you then!!! 😁
    Haha, yeah, didn't read everything, but I'm pretty sure you're right. I believe the game does use teams that people load. And yeah, it is funny. Sometimes while playing arena I mumble to myself.. "wow, who's the jerk that loaded this team?" Hahaha
    As have I many times. Was the whole point of the thread really, I don't care if no one ever gets matched against the team, it's funny to put a few together through a run in hopes that someone hates me for it though lol
    Just cross my fingers and hope for it to show heimdall lol
  • o_oo_o Posts: 833 ★★★★
    I've always wondered if people are fighting my champions in arena.

There are 4 or 5 users i get matched with an awful lot... Bradsex, and Expiring Noodle: whoever you are, if you're reading this, i've gotten to know your rosters quite intimately over the past year <3
  • 4* Ebony Maw, 5* Ebony Maw, and 6* Ebony Maw. And laugh later on if someone who matches against it happened to bring a Corvus on their team for that match.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★

I know this is a necro and I'm sorry but I couldn't help it... For all you that argued with me...

which discord server is this?

I know this is a necro and I'm sorry but I couldn't help it... For all you that argued with me...

which discord server is this?
    Droker's
    @SummonerNR

Here ya go
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    😂😂🤷‍♂️
    Not much I can say about that.
    Jaded said:

😂😂🤷‍♂️
    Not much I can say about that.
    Lol. Like I said I was never certain obviously but it was the only thing that made sense to me

damn you're high af if you think this lmao

If I think what? The thing I've shown is a thing?
    I've since updated the team I pick since I have Doom. That is 100% the team I pick every single round of 6*s I run with those champs. Not sure how many screen shots some of you need but I'd bank on being able to get a lot since he and I match in arena all the time.
  • Captain_NietschCaptain_Nietsch Posts: 481 ★★
    Thi101 said:

Thi101 said:

But... you can’t annoy the AI ‘-‘

AI isnt controlling the person that matches against that team if they for some reason select it....
    5 years in this game and I never knew this.
    Wow
    I've always assumed that the teamups were somehow based on what other players playing arena around the same time chose for arena. But it could just be an algorithm choosing. Allthough, there seems to be a lot of "Canada Man" (guardian) in the arena matchups right now. I figured that's because many players want to finish the objectives using him...