Frustration on Arena's Death Match

NmbghjjuNmbghjju Member Posts: 22
edited April 2020 in General Discussion
I used the exact same team in the same arena, but got matched with a deathmatch team today.

This was yesterday.

This just happened an hour ago.

Anyone can explain why is this happening?

This is weird too, one of my friend used the exact same team and ranking after an hour I got the deathmatch, and he was safe.

Comments

• Patchie93Patchie93 Member Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    As more people get r3 6*s the minimum to avoid death matches will slowly increase
  • NmbghjjuNmbghjju Member Posts: 22
    Patchie93 said:

As more people get r3 6*s the minimum to avoid death matches will slowly increase

Thanks and I do understand this.

But it is just weird that I get matched by a death team, while my friend doesn't when both of us used the exact same attackers with the same rankings. Even my team rating is higher than my friend's.
  • winterthurwinterthur Member Posts: 8,058 ★★★★★
    Will be helpful to find out which round this is happenning?
  • World EaterWorld Eater Member Posts: 3,694 ★★★★★
    What was your streak when those pics were taken?

Regardless, bring in 4/40s at your own risk. And if you do, at least bring in stronger and better 4/40s than Gambit at P2099.
    edited April 2020
    The team just refreshed, so I tried again. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I am at streak 135.

OK guys, I am an arena grinder and I do know how to pair or match to avoid death matches.

I'm just curious how does one get matched by a death team? So I did a test with my friend.
    Both me and my friend were over streak 21.

Team: 4* R5 CG, 4* R3 Punisher 2099, 4* R3 Gambit.

Saturday 18 April
    Me: No DM
    Friend: No DM

Sunday 19 April
    Me: DM (twice)
    Friend: No DM (so far only once, but will try again in an hour)

Isn't it weird why I am being matched with a death team today, but my friend is safe from it?

If you say need a higher team rating, my total team rating is 16774 while my friend is at 15528. So why is my higher team rating being matched with DM but my friend with lower team rating doesn't?
  • Crumb3307Crumb3307 Member Posts: 346 ★★
    Just curious, but why did you take a picture of that matchup yesterday?
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,256 Guardian
    Two 3/30 with a single 5/50... basically one 3/30 with two 4/40..
    Either way, that is gambling that it won’t give you death match.

I assume this was in 5* FEATURE Arena in all your and friend's cases mentioned ? And not one example from 5* Feature and one from 4* Feature ?

Might not happen all the time (actually in 5* Feature surprised it would ever be acceptable at all now), but as others have said with more people having 6* r3 now, there is more likelihood you need to have higher team now.
    Crumb3307 said:

Just curious, but why did you take a picture of that matchup yesterday?

I am testing different team pairings to keep track of which team gets DM and which doesn't. Taking a screenshot of every match up is pretty easy actually.
  • Mrspider568Mrspider568 Member Posts: 2,006 ★★★
    Nmbghjju said:

The team just refreshed, so I tried again. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I am at streak 135.

They will get tough i think so

Two 3/30 with a single 5/50... basically one 3/30 with two 4/40..
    Either way, that is gambling that it won’t give you death match.

I assume this was in 5* FEATURE Arena in all your and friend's cases mentioned ? And not one example from 5* Feature and one from 4* Feature ?

Might not happen all the time (actually in 5* Feature surprised it would ever be acceptable at all now), but as others have said with more people having 6* r3 now, there is more likelihood you need to have higher team now.

Yes, all tests are done in 5* FEATURED arena. Currently it is the one with 5* Morningstar. Previous featured was 5* Sorcerer Supreme.
  • GamerGamer Member Posts: 10,704 ★★★★★
    Try tests it the same time to instead of 1 huers bewten
    Gamer said:

Try tests it the same time to instead of 1 huers bewten

Made sense, and just tested with my friend together with the same team as shown in the screenshots earlier.
    I got DM, and he is safe.

• AzKicker316AzKicker316 Member Posts: 2,391 ★★★★★
    edited April 2020
    To be honest, that matchup doesn't look that bad of a death match. It's doable. Plus I NEVER use r3 4*s in featured arena. You're putting yourself at risk everytime.

I have found the shift in raising the limit. I had a team that was a few away from my previous bottom team that now pairs with a death match. Note that I know which team it is, I adjusted. It may change again as more r3s will come.
  • SavageSavage Member Posts: 621 ★★★

To be honest, that matchup doesn't look that bad of a death match. It's doable. Plus I NEVER use r3 4*s in featured arena. You're putting yourself at risk everytime.

I have found the shift in raising the limit. I had a team that was a few away from my previous bottom team that now pairs with a death match. Note that I know which team it is, I adjusted. It may change again as more r3s will come.

I found out that r3 4* were eliminated from infinite streak in the 4* featured :(

It is doable BUT when we're grinding for a featured champ, after spending hours grinding non stop, the last thing we want is being matched with a death team. The fatigue can make us lose the streak and it's really wasting time and points restarting the streak.

I'm still curious when do we get matched with a death team? There's definitely an algorithm, surely not just random or gamble?
  • ReferenceReference Member Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Based on my experience (without official verification), death matches after steaks of 20 may happen if you bring a team with lower ranking champ(s) but actually you have higher ranked champs available in roster. Coz I faced your issue before in 5* feature arena with the same team yet facing normal opponent once but death match in another round. Sometimes I select my team base on synergy yet it increases the chance of facing death matches.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Member Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★

tell me that you are going to beat a 6/R3 sunspot with a 3/30 P2099. You take 2 blocked hits, and your dead

tell me that you are going to beat a 6/R3 sunspot with a 3/30 P2099. You take 2 blocked hits, and your dead
    It can be done, I've done it. It all depends on the matchup.
  • ReferenceReference Member Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Reference said:

Based on my experience (without official verification), death matches after steaks of 20 may happen if you bring a team with lower ranking champ(s) but actually you have higher ranked champs available in roster. Coz I faced your issue before in 5* feature arena with the same team yet facing normal opponent once but death match in another round. Sometimes I select my team base on synergy yet it increases the chance of facing death matches.

Besides, there is signal one match before unusually.
    E.g. the match before is a combination of normal, normal and death match team for you to select.
  • EB54EB54 Member Posts: 77
    I had a similar encounter with the death match team today. My team total was just over 12400. Two champs were a little over 4K one was slightly under. Like 3950. All 5 stars. Used the same line up a couple hours ago and got a normal match. Both runs I had streaks going over 30.
  • sfsiliconsfsilicon Member Posts: 113
    edited April 2020
    Nmbghjju said:

I'm still curious when do we get matched with a death team? There's definitely an algorithm, surely not just random or gamble?

I have not seen Kabam post their algorythm on this. I'm assuming all guides are based on experience and community sharing.

Low limit changes as per 1st reply. If I can find a low limit that works for me I'd use that. Good luck!
  • Alfa_PigeonAlfa_Pigeon Member Posts: 273 ★★
    Match 58 in Crystal Trove just now...first time it has happened when I used maxed rank 2s past the 20s. Just goes to show you, trash champs are not even good for arenas.
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Member Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★

Match 58 in Crystal Trove just now...first time it has happened when I used maxed rank 2s past the 20s. Just goes to show you, trash champs are not even good for arenas.

From my repeated observations pairing two low base hero rating (before signature level) r2 5s can return a death match. They’re good for arenas just not good when paired up.
  • MenkentMenkent Member Posts: 889 ★★★★
    I'm not enough of an arena grinder to use 4* in the featured arena, so I don't run into death matches. For me the bigger issue is the passive AI that apparently has all or nothing nodes on. Each match has a fight that is three minutes of dancing around trying to bait out specials then eventually getting clipped or pushing to sp3 just to get it over with.
  • JueVioleGraceJueVioleGrace Member Posts: 1,424 ★★★★★
    Menkent said:

I'm not enough of an arena grinder to use 4* in the featured arena, so I don't run into death matches. For me the bigger issue is the passive AI that apparently has all or nothing nodes on. Each match has a fight that is three minutes of dancing around trying to bait out specials then eventually getting clipped or pushing to sp3 just to get it over with.

I don't even bother baiting specials anymore

The key isn't necessarily getting past match 20, it's getting to the point where you go back to your top champs after cooldown.

But arenas have raised their lower rating limit ever since 6* r3s became a reality. Find your new bottom and adjust. Your death match isn't really that bad.
  • FabiusBRFabiusBR Member Posts: 296 ★★★

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday in the Crystal Trove arena. Match 59, running three 2/35 five stars with suicides. I have never pulled a death match before with a 2/35 five star team and full suicides.

This is a disturbing development. I am in a retirement alliance because they have made AW and high level AQ totally unenjoyable. If the arena Is going to require high level five stars to avoid death matches then I’ll have little reason to log in and absolutely no reason to spend any money. Sad to see such a great game ruined.
    FabiusBR said:

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday in the Crystal Trove arena. Match 59, running three 2/35 five stars with suicides. I have never pulled a death match before with a 2/35 five star team and full suicides.

This is a disturbing development. I am in a retirement alliance because they have made AW and high level AQ totally unenjoyable. If the arena Is going to require high level five stars to avoid death matches then I’ll have little reason to log in and absolutely no reason to spend any money. Sad to see such a great game ruined.

Don't be such a drama queen, make a small adjustment on avoiding that same team or mix up your lower r2s with an r3, or even a maxed 4* The rating required to avoid a death squad increased a bit, so make sure your team's rating matches that increase.