**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

My Experience Grinding for Aegon...

Hey MCOC Community!

Though it feels like this game has more or less fused with my hands, I regrettably am very inactive with the community and player base that keeps it alive. I guess I'm considered an "end-game player," even though I think titles are silly and everyone has room to grow even if all the current content is fully explored. Anyway, I figured I'd take a second and do a quick recap on what it was like to grind for Aegon this past round.

Let me start by saying that, over the past four years, I've grinded countless times for 5* shards, and have successfully won both 5* Medusa (Round 1) and Venom the Duck (Round 1 + 2). I put up roughly between 37m - 41m each for these three champs. Looking back, it's humorous how "easily obtainable" those numbers are compared to what I'm about to talk about.

My roster was much smaller when I went for Medusa (in 2019), and so I used somewhere around 1500 units in champ refreshing. Things were different when VtD came around, and I thankfully needed use a single unit to put up the (at that point) hefty 41m. I remember feeling so accomplished that I could muster that without needing to dip into my units. And so, when I heard Aegon was coming around, I figured, "Hey, if I could do it before, how much harder could it be this time?"

Well, I was wrong. And I'm not going to sugarcoat it when I say that these past 72 hours were absolutely excruciating. Now, hear me out: this is NOT a rant post, nor is it one designed to simply complain. My observations are only that, and it's likely many will either agree or share their POV.

At the start of the arena, I had 23 R5 5*, 4 R2 6*, 30 R1 6*, and x-amount of R4 5* --> again, this is NOT a brag post. I want to be transparent with what I was working with.

To put it simply: I hit #58 84.8m points. I was ecstatic, but even more so exhausted. Honestly, I was so fatigued by the experience. Maybe others thought differently depending on their finances (for units) / roster size (for points), but it was a feat that I’m sort of humbled by. And I mean that both negatively AND positively. Does it feel good to win something you worked hard for? Of course! But did I enjoy waking up at 3:30am, playing over and over until my eyes blurred and my hands went numb? Heck no. Some folks have asked about my win streak, but I lost it so many times it was hard to say; mostly I fell asleep during fights, to the point where I'd close my eyes during S3 for a blink of rest.

I think all my emotions / senses were paused over 72 hours. I didn’t really eat or sleep for fear of wasting time. Sounds insane, I know, but when you’ve invested so much time (or money!), the idea of falling short is sort of mind-numbing.

Now...I've watched some YT videos and read some forum posts, and I very much agree that certain people (those who already HAVE a 5/6* awakened Aegon) shouldn't have gone for him. There are only 150 "winning" spots, so the fact that someone who really needed the champ fell short to someone who already has him puts a very, very sour taste in my mouth. For all the hours and units and boosts invested into this horrific grind, I don't think anybody should fall short. Does that mean that someone putting up 45m should get the same as someone who put up 90m? No, I suppose not, but I also don't know the "right" answer when it comes to arena.

Halfway through--right before my boyfriend opened 3 Aegon crystals and pulled a 5* of his own, which almost sent me over the edge of sanity--I contemplated what arena could look like for the future. Sort of like paths that require a certain champ. Maybe one round is dedicated to those who do NOT have the champ in question, whereas Round 2 is fair game for all? Not sure, though I'd love to pick the brains of several CCP players.

Anyway...sorry for the rant. I'm a writer in my personal life, so my love for words often gets the better of me. If you'd like to chat further, or just want to say hi, my in-game name is Thewritingwoolf -- or thewritingwoolf (CT) on LINE. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• SuperiorSymbioteSuperiorSymbiote Posts: 1,862 ★★★★★
    Good job 👍
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    I disagree that people who already had him shouldn’t have gone for him — let’s be real about what this game is. You can either pay or grind to get what you want, and you are never guaranteed because of how the game is structured.

If you pay, you just might open 20 Cavalier feature crystals for Aegon and get 16 3-stars, 3 4-stars and a 5-star Juggernaut. That can and does happen. Or you might get Aegon.

If you grind, you might place 151. Someone is gonna do that. Or you might finish 147 and get Aegon. Someone is gonna do that, too.

But that’s the point: When a person pays, they aren’t paying to not get the character they want. They just don’t get them.

That component is a part of grinding, too. Just because you decide to go doesn’t mean you’re gonna get there, and people have the right to get it started if they want because that is how the game is structured.

Nobody would care if it was Juggernaut. But just because it wasn’t doesn’t mean the structure of the game changes
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,054 ★★★★★
    Never got a champ in arena since I got 3* storm in my first weeks of playing, I belive. Grinding a 5* is still insane for me, and I have about 10 6*s. Congrats for getting him
  • CotziCotzi Posts: 90
    Thats awful still nice pull!
  • YotzYotz Posts: 117
    More than anything, kabam should take this as feedback. This arena brought a large portion of the main player base closer to burning out. Many ideas have been brought forward regarding the arena through the years because it is just a broken system, like AW. Now that people are being more conscious with how they spend their money, kabam should take a step back and think about the longevity of the game above short term gains.
  • bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,147 ★★★
    🧐 confirmed..your boyfriend didn't get any attention this weekend 😂 j/k.. get some rest because I know your fingers has got to be cramping
  • SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,804 ★★★★★
    Now go take a nice, long nap.
  • Southern_KantSouthern_Kant Posts: 157
    lol im in jail
  • Player_RandyPlayer_Randy Posts: 4
    This of course isn’t how most players get these scores, it’s completely unrealistic. We all know it takes third party software and services to consistently get these scores, and there’s a lot of names that always show up at the top of these lists. Catching and reporting them only gets them a temporary ban, but their scores stay up. There’s a lot people trying to claim they got their scores legitimately, but it’s really hard to take them seriously when so many who make money off of cheating consistently troll these forums.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

This of course isn’t how most players get these scores, it’s completely unrealistic. We all know it takes third party software and services to consistently get these scores, and there’s a lot of names that always show up at the top of these lists. Catching and reporting them only gets them a temporary ban, but their scores stay up. There’s a lot people trying to claim they got their scores legitimately, but it’s really hard to take them seriously when so many who make money off of cheating consistently troll these forums.

While I certainly won't say these things don't happen, to say it's the majority and not the minority is just false. Pulling off a very high arena score takes a whole lot of one of or a combination of a large roster, time, and units.

I can put up over 80M with just 5/6*s and no units if I decide to dedicate the time to it. While I have a very large 5 and 6* roster compared to the majority of players there are definitely those with far larger than mine even.
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    I totally agree, I can’t and wouldn’t be able to drop 70+ million for a champ. I just do my usually 9-10.5 million and call it a grind but those who do it I applaud you. Those who do it and already have a max sig champ that’s just petty. They should be excluded from the rankings, people are grinding these numbers for the champ they don’t have or can’t spend as much to get. The petty end gamers who already have them shouldn’t get in the way of that. Especially if they have the 6 star version of the champ at max sig
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    Sadly it’s everyone’s prerogative to grind for a champ whether they have it or not. In a way, you could argue it still makes sense for the huge whales to grind out the champ as he holds the key to exploration of AoL.

If the big boys deny 10 Aegons to other alliances then that’s 10 people who can’t realistically access an extra 2 T5CC (assuming they’re willing to grind out completion of AoL without Aegon). This means that that’s 2 less R3 champs per player they deny - who are likely in pretty top end alliances as well if they’re putting up close to 70m - this stops them from hitting that 11k prestige and entering the real top end of the prestige wars in AQ. If you follow this line of thinking, as cynical as it may be, it’s simply resource denial to an opponent.

Let’s face it, some of the people who dump truly obscene amounts of money on this game are obsessed enough to consider if worthy of the loss of their weekend, and may even enjoy it - after all, why spend so much in the first place?

Also, well done on the 85m grind. Good job.

What I think needs to come out of this is a 5* basic arena, even if it’s limited to the top 1-5% or top 800-1000 or something. 5* have been in the game long enough now that there are plenty of players who are ‘past’ them, while others - like myself - get 1/week and I’m sitting on over 100 5* and 20+ 6* and just need a few champs here and there to round off my 5* roster
  • PintzzPintzz Posts: 297 ★★
    edited May 2020
    Great work. I have to agree the experience was mind numbing. It was my first actual hard arena grind. By the end I was glad it was over. I placed 3rd and maybe went overkill because of such a big range of predictions I was hearing. The only reason I went to hard for him is because of I have LoL and AoL to explore. Everything else is complete for me. After finishing yesterday took him out for a test run on path 4 of LoL and made it worth while how much easier paths like that are with him. That being said I won’t be doing round 2 for extra sig level and will leave that spot for players who need their first time aegon as I had everything ready and waiting for him for months.

Also should add I had units built up for a while and the dubloons event so I used a lot of units reviving my top team to get the maximum points I could get per round (R3 domino, R2 NF, R2 massacre) which gave between 220-230k points per round. Then used my 6 stars and 5stars(down to R3) champs when they refreshed naturally
  • GreanGrean Posts: 1,397 ★★★★
    nice
    I tried to arena grind but I get caught up in other things like rifts and stuff
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    edited May 2020
    ESF said:

I disagree that people who already had him shouldn’t have gone for him — let’s be real about what this game is. You can either pay or grind to get what you want, and you are never guaranteed because of how the game is structured.

If you pay, you just might open 20 Cavalier feature crystals for Aegon and get 16 3-stars, 3 4-stars and a 5-star Juggernaut. That can and does happen. Or you might get Aegon.

If you grind, you might place 151. Someone is gonna do that. Or you might finish 147 and get Aegon. Someone is gonna do that, too.

But that’s the point: When a person pays, they aren’t paying to not get the character they want. They just don’t get them.

That component is a part of grinding, too. Just because you decide to go doesn’t mean you’re gonna get there, and people have the right to get it started if they want because that is how the game is structured.

Nobody would care if it was Juggernaut. But just because it wasn’t doesn’t mean the structure of the game changes

You're misinformed. The people that already have him at sig 200 who grinded for him are not playing the arena like she did. So if they grinded it out for 3 days like she did your point would be valid but they didn't. At this point we're talking bots or a merc. I know people who actually have those 2.3 mill rosters and they're using bots. This lie that people that score the top 150 in the 5 star arena grind out a whole weekend on the weekly bases is simply not true. They are whales and they have high earning jobs and families and don't have the time for a legit grind of that magnitude.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

ESF said:

You're misinformed. The people that already have him at sig 200 who grinded for him are not playing the arena like she did. So if they grinded it out for 3 days like she did your point would be valid but they didn't. At this point we're talking bots or a merc. I know people who actually have those 2.3 mill rosters and they're using bots. This lie that people that score the top 150 in the 5 star arena grind out a whole weekend on the weekly bases is simply not true. They are whales and they have high earning jobs and families and don't have the time for a legit grind of that magnitude.
    I'm far from an arena grinder but I've done multiple runs for 5*s before. Just bc someone has a very large roster doesn't mean they aren't playing their account and aren't willing to grind for a champ. I can assure you I know more of that level of player than you'd I'd bet.
  • Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
    I'm happy with my 4 star Ægon
  • ThewritingwoolfThewritingwoolf Posts: 43
    Wow this post really took off--thanks for the feedback and comments, everyone! Cool to see everyone's input (not matter how varied).

I'm not exactly sure whom to respond to, BUT for those asking why I grinded for Aegon: AOL is the only thing I have left to explore (only did one path w/o him, yikes!) so I've been looking forward to the chance to wrap that up. But, apart from his obvious abilities, he's just someone I've desired. He's been evading me almost as much as the winning numbers to the lottery :smile:
  • PintzzPintzz Posts: 297 ★★
    Agreed I did one path without on opening day and ever since been on the hunt for him as well since that day lol