**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Venom the Duck: Define “random” please

DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
edited May 2020 in General Discussion

Simple question: is this a straight 1-in-6 chance each time the Aberration Effect reaches 100, or is it akin to Sabretooth’s “random” persistent charges, which (if I recall correctly) have weighted random probabilities?

Is it 50-50 between the two classes of buffs, with a weighted probability that isn’t equal among all of the buffs available within each class—meaning a 50-50 chance between Survival and Frenzy classes, but different probabilities among the three different buffs within the individual buff class?

Further, when playing with synergy partners that increase the probability of either a Survival or a Frenzy buff, how does the synergy increased chance work? Is it a straight, additive shifting of chances (for example, assuming there is a 50-50 shot at Frenzy-Survival, does it shift it to 75-25) or is it percentage-based (meaning the 50-50 gets shifted to something like 62.5-37.5)?

Dr. Zola

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Terra said:

Simple. You always get the ones you don't want.

Well, that’s not just VtD pRNG though, is it?

I’m honestly curious—I’ve finally been testing my 6* and he’s incredibly frustrating. The rotation feels anything but even.

Like I said, it could operate a few different ways:
    1) It’s a straight random 1/6 chance every time
    2) It’s 50-50 between the two classes of buffs, with something like 40-35-25 chance among the three buffs in each category
    3) Each buff has its own unique probability—think something like 28-24-16-16-8-8 (if that even adds to 100)

Maybe someone on the game team knows. Look, he’s one of three awakened 6*’s I have (with Cage and Kingpin). It would be nice to know how he works for certain.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
    So When I add my venompool with VTD (both 5/65 and I dnt use anymore ) I get Almost close to 100% chance to get block prof Or armor buffs! True story. 😂
  • Options
    Scopeotoe987Scopeotoe987 Posts: 1,548 ★★★★★
    Kalantak said:

So When I add my venompool with VTD (both 5/65 and I dnt use anymore ) I get Almost close to 100% chance to get block prof Or armor buffs! True story. 😂

Dumb question, but do you have gameplay if 5/65 venompool? It would be neat to watch.
  • Options
    H3t3rH3t3r Posts: 2,879 Guardian

This is my luck with venom. Luckily i can just throw an l2 to get new ones.
  • Options

Kalantak said:

Dumb question, but do you have gameplay if 5/65 venompool? It would be neat to watch.
    I remember an old alliance mate setting alarms through the night to run arena when he was first available. He got him.

Good times...

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    H3t3rH3t3r Posts: 2,879 Guardian
    Edeuink said:

H3t3r said:

This is my luck with venom. Luckily i can just throw an l2 to get new ones.

You can use a heavy to change your buffs.
    Yeah I know just thought I would share my luck.
  • Options
    WhathappenedWhathappened Posts: 747 ★★★
    Highly doubtful that it's even odds to pull a buff. Seems weighted to me, always getting armor up or something not useful. One of the reasons I've never ranked him past 3. Use my 6* on occasion though
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    I feel like it is random. Some quests I get super lucky with fury, power gain, regen, other times I keep getting armor and block buffs.
  • Options
    Mirage_TurtleMirage_Turtle Posts: 1,868 ★★★★
    I wish you luck, @DrZola

Unfortunately, I don't think you're likely to get an answer. Despite repeated requests and a mountain of data in the form of player trials, Kabam (to my knowledge) has never commented on the Sabretooth issue. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you got an answer here.
  • Options

I wish you luck, @DrZola

Unfortunately, I don't think you're likely to get an answer. Despite repeated requests and a mountain of data in the form of player trials, Kabam (to my knowledge) has never commented on the Sabretooth issue. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you got an answer here.

Found what I think was the old thread: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/119721/so-i-decided-to-test-the-rng-on-sts-persistent-charges-100-times/p1

Looks like you’ve posted on this a few times also.

Any way we could get some insight from the team on VtD?

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 1,005 ★★★★
    It's a perfectly valid question, but I'll admit, I'm way more curious as to the algorithm in place when banking buffs.

For example, if I have 5 active at the start of the fight (2 regen, 2 fury, and a power gain), which three get banked when I throw a heavy or a special?

I don't think there's any simple logic in place for it. I'm actually fairly certain I've had six total, 2 each of 3 unique, and I would assume that in that case it would simply bank one of each, but I don't think it does.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    mgj0630 said:

It's a perfectly valid question, but I'll admit, I'm way more curious as to the algorithm in place when banking buffs.

For example, if I have 5 active at the start of the fight (2 regen, 2 fury, and a power gain), which three get banked when I throw a heavy or a special?

I don't think there's any simple logic in place for it. I'm actually fairly certain I've had six total, 2 each of 3 unique, and I would assume that in that case it would simply bank one of each, but I don't think it does.

Also a valid question.

So, I will try to compile here:

1) Are all buffs for VtD equally probable at all times (excluding Synergy related probability enhancements)?
    2) Are Synergy enhancements of probability “additive” or “multiplicative” (terminology imprecise, but close enough)?
    3) How are buffs added to the RNA bank when VtD already has several in effect and a uses a special to add more (particularly when there are more available to be added than remaining buff slots)?

Sound right?

Dr. Zola
  • Options

Good luck getting a straight answer on this. Like you said you may get jailed for even asking and I doubt they even know.

I didn’t mean to imply that asking is a jailable offense—I think there was more to the previous case than just asking, but you’d have to ask that user.

It’s a simple question that should have a simple answer. I don’t need to know the underlying code or anything proprietary, just how the word “random” gets defined for VtD.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,805 ★★★★★
    I’ve always thought of it being like a 16.6 percent chance to get a certain buff, and the percentage synergies just add more percents.

So for the aggression synergy, all frenzy buffs now have a 41% chance to activate.

It makes sense to me.
  • Options
    YcatsYcats Posts: 146 ★★
    mgj0630 said:

There is an order for which it gets banked and I think it goes from left to right which would be regen, fury, perfect block, precision, power gain, and armor. If you have 2 regen, 2 fury, and 1 power gain you wil only bank 2 regens and 1 fury.
  • Options
    Ycats said:

mgj0630 said:

There is an order for which it gets banked and I think it goes from left to right which would be regen, fury, perfect block, precision, power gain, and armor. If you have 2 regen, 2 fury, and 1 power gain you wil only bank 2 regens and 1 fury.
    So is that in order of when the buffs were banked? Preference given to the first ones banked in order of when they were banked?

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
  • Options
    Scopeotoe987Scopeotoe987 Posts: 1,548 ★★★★★
    @Kalantak Honestly I’m a bit surprised about the health and the regen, but could that sp2 inflict heal block 100% of the time? If so it looks like it could be kept up infinitely. He looks fun but not the best option. I think I’ll r5 my 4* someday. Thanks for the gameplay!
  • Options
    GhostOfYostGhostOfYost Posts: 59
    DrZola said:

So is that in order of when the buffs were banked? Preference given to the first ones banked in order of when they were banked?

Dr. Zola

It is always in the order described above:

Regen
    Fury
    Block
    Precision
    Power
    Armor

It does not matter what order you bank them in initially. All of the active higher "priority" buffs will be banked first, and then the next highest "priority" and so on. This aspect is not random, and to me, it's what makes VTD not only playable, but fun. I enjoy hunting for the good buffs early on to then bank and re-bank for later. For example, I try to bank power and precision early (side note, the guy who said precision is less useful above is way wrong, a couple precision buffs and he crits all the time and stacks a ton of bleeds) so I can duplicate them before banking fury and regen.

My idea first 3 fights, I would get 3 power gain in the first fight, a precision, fury, and regen in the second, and then bank immediately in the third to duplicate the regen, fury, and precision. That puts me at 9 buffs putting out lots of damage with easy access to the SP2 and SP3, and sustainable regen for the rest of the quest. Then stack on one more fury if I can, or duplicate a regen if I slip and need a bigger health boost to survive.
  • Options
    Baboss187Baboss187 Posts: 140
    I get 5 in a row of the same buff or when the buff stays on the same 2 for a number of fights. It’s not about getting what you want, it’s about the fact it says ‘random’ and quite clearly it’s not random.
  • Options
    @Baboss187 this thread details a study a friend and I did re: VtD’s buffs.

Headline was they actually are random and work pretty much as advertised with his synergy partners. It did surprise me some, since it often seems like I’m locked on PB or Armor Up. Link below:

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/1231312#Comment_1231312

Dr. Zola