**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Blade is the most overrated champion in MCOC history (backstory + novella)

KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
Before we begin, I promise you that you won't be disappointed in what I have to say below.

Blade is the most overrated champion in MCOC history. When I returned to the game in April of this year, Blade was my best champion as I hadn't played in almost 2 years (I left the month before Ghost came out *sigh*). When Blade came out, everyone was going crazy about him so I joined the hype train. I had 5 5 stars at the time, Yondu, Psylocke, Falcon, Colossus (pre-buff), and Sentry. As you can tell, those aren't very good 5 stars. I had 15k 5* shards. After seeing all of Seatin's failed attempts to get Blade, I was a bit worried but I went ahead with it and bought the Blade crystal. It was the biggest crystal opening of my MCOC career. Spinning, spinning, spinning it went, until it began to stop. Duds and great champs passed by, and then... Hulk (OG), Agent Venom... BLADE!!!! That was the greatest opening in my MCOC career at the time. I ranked him up to r2 immediately (I didn't have many resources at the time) and used him in all sorts of content. Fast forward to April 2020, there was Blade, my best 5 star, among a few other 5 stars because I got some great 5 stars after the Blade crystal before I called it quits in June 2018, such as Cap IW (whom I awakened with a 5 star generic which I had no idea I had lol), Emma Frost, and Iceman. Blade has helped me throughout so much content, as I used him in all of Act 5, especially against all of the villain bosses in Act 5.4. As I progressed in April 2020 throughout Act 5 completion and later exploration, I ranked Blade up more and more. He went from r2 to r3, in which I awakened him from a 5 star crystal, and finally r4 (my first ever r4).

Once I finished Act 5, all was well and good, until I had an awakening, in which I was finally sent to the present. I learned about all these cool champions that I didn't know about, such as Omega Red, Ghost, Aegon, Nick Fury, among many others. Most of all, after scouring through youtube, I learned about the sheer power of Colossus, who soon enough became my second r4. As I progressed through content, I acquired more and more 5 stars and ranked up the good ones, such as Medusa. As I got these cool, new 5 stars and learned of their abilities, my uses for Blade lessened and lessened. I could no longer afford to bring my 4 star Ghost Rider and Stark Spidey into every quest as I needed those slots to accommodate my more powerful, 5 star champions who didn't need synergies. Variant 4? Done. Was Blade used? Barely. Next up was Act 6.1, my first ever Cavalier push. Did I use Blade? Barely. Without his synergies (I didn't have 5 star Ghost Rider or Stark Spidey), his power is massively weakened as his damage is average and his bleeds are okay at best in comparison to a champion like Nick Fury. Although his regeneration is great, fights last much longer with Blade than with someone like Colossus because of less damage, so I end up taking more chip damage with someone like Blade than someone like Colossus. In fact, I preferred my r3 Doc Ock instead of my r4 Blade for 6.1. At this moment, I thought to myself. How powerful is Blade in 2020? I had a burst of emotions, thinking to myself that I HAD to make use of my r4 Blade so I did anything in my power to use him in all sorts of content like AW and AQ. He did well in AW for me for a few weeks until I opened a cavalier crystal "just for fun" after finishing 6.1. I expected nothing out of that crystal. NOTHING. Then out came 5 star Omega Red. This, this was the moment in which everything changed. I felt tears in my eyes, emotions running through my veins, as that shiny Omega Red popped out of that crystal. I went back to 5.3 and explored it (I had explored all of Act 5 except Act 5.3) to get the generic AG to give to Omega Red. I gave it to Omega Red and fed 120 sigs into him. Then I took him to r4. My account changed forever. Omega Red became my mainstay in AW. Soon after, I learned of Omega Red's very powerful synergy with Colossus, so I started using them in almost every bit of content in the game. Blade just stood there, outclassed by these new more powerful champions. There was no space for Blade.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for reading through this novella of mine. I hope this was interesting to you, as I had a lot of fun writing this up. At some point, just like in any games, the game progresses past powerful champions of the past. I have concluded that Blade is not a top 3 skill champion anymore. I would rate Nick Fury, Aegon, Stealth Spidey, and Hit-Monkey above him. There are other scenarios in which he may be even lower in the standings, such as bleed immune champions to name one. If I'm being completely honest, I have had these thoughts of Blade since I finished Act 5, but I have been too afraid to share them. I am not afraid anymore! I have seen the light. Blade is by no means a bad champion, he's still a good champion, but has been outclassed by many other great champions. Please tell me if you agree or disagree in the comments below as I would love to discuss this controversial topic.

Comments

• _hbtygbty423__hbtygbty423_ Posts: 546 ★★
    That's what he said!
  • allinashesallinashes Posts: 787 ★★★
    I sorta agree. Some champs are just better at some content and certain points in time. Domino is that champ for me. When I pulled and duped her in her featured, my game changed. I got Masacre in the same featured and already had Rulk.

She blew through Act 5 for me and was my first R4 and R5. Mainstay on AW attack and defense. Helped me explore 6.1 also, but after that she saw a lot less use. Couldn't dedicate 3 slots for rest of Act 6 for her synergy. Stopped using her in AW in favor of OR.

I still use her a lot for monthly EQ. She's great for blowing through that, although CG takes a lot of her reps for that too. Still a very valuable champ, just not my go-to for everything as she once was. But that's just natural as your roster progresses and you get and rank other champs. It's nice to have options, instead of trying to do everything with the same 1-2 champs.
  • KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★

I guess. But this felt more like a drama show script than a video game champion discussion. If you feel this way, you are totally entitled to that. But okay. I still feel like blade is good, but I only have 9 5 stars, and... AN AWAKENED 5 STAR BLADE DUPED NATURALLY. So since I use him for everything now, I do not really know what to say... I feel like you expressed your viewpoint well so.... INSIGHTFUL!

You are literally me a few months ago

- I also awakened Blade naturally
    - Back then I still used Blade for everything
    - Back then I had around 10-15 5 stars as well

I sorta agree. Some champs are just better at some content and certain points in time. Domino is that champ for me. When I pulled and duped her in her featured, my game changed. I got Masacre in the same featured and already had Rulk.

She blew through Act 5 for me and was my first R4 and R5. Mainstay on AW attack and defense. Helped me explore 6.1 also, but after that she saw a lot less use. Couldn't dedicate 3 slots for rest of Act 6 for her synergy. Stopped using her in AW in favor of OR.

I still use her a lot for monthly EQ. She's great for blowing through that, although CG takes a lot of her reps for that too. Still a very valuable champ, just not my go-to for everything as she once was. But that's just natural as your roster progresses and you get and rank other champs. It's nice to have options, instead of trying to do everything with the same 1-2 champs.

Agreed
  • LOThunderLOThunder Posts: 218 ★★

I definitely disagree with you, I still use blade in certain occasions like I use all my champs. I don’t have 1 go to champ but that’s because I scout paths, war lines, AQ lines and story lines to see what I need. I see the need for certain counters, I bring them. I don’t solely depend on 1 champion for everything.

I see a line I’ll bring ghost (with wasp or alone. Either works for me)
    I see some tough mystics I’ll bring torch or blade
    Evaders, I’ll bring ghost

So for me, blade isn’t overrated, his uses have diminished a little but still a great champ to have. If your roster isn’t fully developed and you have one, by all means rank him and use him until he gets old. If roster is fully developed, use him where you need him.

It’s like saying starlord is overrated, which hes not. His uses have just diminished due to certain content.

I disagree with you bro on that first statement, because almost everyone has their go to champ. For me it's stark Spidey, because he's damage output is crazy, helps me get fights done quickly before the major BS of defenders kick in.
    The only reason I won't use him is if there is a champion/node that punishes you for dealing critical damage, stun immune evaders, or venom. Although I use him for Hyperion all the time and never get sp3ed because of taunt, he's also great for all or nothing nodes (except when havok is on it)
    So yeah! I typically hope into a quest with him on my team first and scout if he can do all the fights in a path. If he can't, then I start thinking of rotations.
    If this game was all about dealing damage and no funny interactions to punish an attacker for very high damage? Majority of the community will keep spamming their corvus, ghost, stealth Spidey, star Lord, and other heavy damage dealers for every quest.
  • Panchulon21Panchulon21 Posts: 2,605 ★★★★★
    LOThunder said:

I definitely disagree with you, I still use blade in certain occasions like I use all my champs. I don’t have 1 go to champ but that’s because I scout paths, war lines, AQ lines and story lines to see what I need. I see the need for certain counters, I bring them. I don’t solely depend on 1 champion for everything.

I see a line I’ll bring ghost (with wasp or alone. Either works for me)
    I see some tough mystics I’ll bring torch or blade
    Evaders, I’ll bring ghost

So for me, blade isn’t overrated, his uses have diminished a little but still a great champ to have. If your roster isn’t fully developed and you have one, by all means rank him and use him until he gets old. If roster is fully developed, use him where you need him.

It’s like saying starlord is overrated, which hes not. His uses have just diminished due to certain content.

I disagree with you bro on that first statement, because almost everyone has their go to champ. For me it's stark Spidey, because he's damage output is crazy, helps me get fights done quickly before the major BS of defenders kick in.
    The only reason I won't use him is if there is a champion/node that punishes you for dealing critical damage, stun immune evaders, or venom. Although I use him for Hyperion all the time and never get sp3ed because of taunt, he's also great for all or nothing nodes (except when havok is on it)
    So yeah! I typically hope into a quest with him on my team first and scout if he can do all the fights in a path. If he can't, then I start thinking of rotations.
    If this game was all about dealing damage and no funny interactions to punish an attacker for very high damage? Majority of the community will keep spamming their corvus, ghost, stealth Spidey, star Lord, and other heavy damage dealers for every quest.
    Reason I can disagree with you is because I run backup in war. So I don’t have a go to champ. I run based off what minis and boss is in war.

I don’t have the liberty of having a go to champ cuz that go to champ won’t always work for me. The backup in my group is key to clearing one side of the mini bosses or a certain mini.
  • Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★
    my student. i have taught you well.

I have never used blade anywhere. Ever. Never have I ever thought "This is so hard! I just need blade!". People always say he is good for act 5, but there are so many better options. He needs his two synergy champs, who were both great back in the day. GR is outdated and has low damage. Sparky is fine, but is flimsy and requires a no-parry, dex only playstyle which I dislike.
    He simply isn't that great anymore. The meta has changed. If I pulled him now, I probably wouldn't even consider ranking him up

A man of wisdom.
    Moot4Life said:

my student. i have taught you well.

lol
    GOTG said:

What's wrong with you guys and all these childish threads?

Blade was great at the time they released him. It's a fact. Then they released stronger better champs it's a fact too. He was not overrated two years ago and not overrated now. He is just fine. Stop with these overreacting it makes this forum sick.

huh? I'm voicing my opinion. If you don't like it, there's an "x" button at the top of your screen for you to close this tab. No need to bring up all this negativity. I'm entitled to my own opinion in just the same way that you're entitled to yours. Don't diss me on my opinion, give me reasons to reason with you.
  • lowlevelplayerlowlevelplayer Posts: 4,292 ★★★★★
    FRITO_Man said:

I have never used blade anywhere. Ever. Never have I ever thought "This is so hard! I just need blade!". People always say he is good for act 5, but there are so many better options. He needs his two synergy champs, who were both great back in the day. GR is outdated and has low damage. Sparky is fine, but is flimsy and requires a no-parry, dex only playstyle which I dislike.
    He simply isn't that great anymore. The meta has changed. If I pulled him now, I probably wouldn't even consider ranking him up

I mean you haven't even touched 5.4 and 5.3 where blade shines the most. Ofc you won't see his value in the noobier chapters of act 5. Get into act 5 and 5.3 and he does so much better. Fyi, I usually don't run GR synergy and he is still a beast. HIs danger sense is definitely not needed
    why would you use blade in 5.3? He would be only good for the skill quest if I'm not mistaken. My view is, I've never even considered needing blade. I don't need him, and honestly don't want him. He's OK, but outdated and not meta anymore.
    FRITO_Man said:

I mean you haven't even touched 5.4 and 5.3 where blade shines the most. Ofc you won't see his value in the noobier chapters of act 5. Get into act 5 and 5.3 and he does so much better. Fyi, I usually don't run GR synergy and he is still a beast. HIs danger sense is definitely not needed
    5.3??? His already average base damage is gimped by 50%. I'd rather use Luke Cage or something in the science quest rather than Blade, as an example. He'll barely be hitting for anything with the 50% attack reduction.

FRITO_Man said:

why would you use blade in 5.3? He would be only good for the skill quest if I'm not mistaken. My view is, I've never even considered needing blade. I don't need him, and honestly don't want him. He's OK, but outdated and not meta anymore.
    Exactly. He only does well in the skill quest.
    edited July 2020
    GOTG said:

GOTG said:

What's wrong with you guys and all these childish threads?

Blade was great at the time they released him. It's a fact. Then they released stronger better champs it's a fact too. He was not overrated two years ago and not overrated now. He is just fine. Stop with these overreacting it makes this forum sick.

huh? I'm voicing my opinion. If you don't like it, there's an "x" button at the top of your screen for you to close this tab. No need to bring up all this negativity. I'm entitled to my own opinion in just the same way that you're entitled to yours. Don't diss me on my opinion, give me reasons to reason with you.
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/40140/is-blade-overrated

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/35066/is-blade-overrated

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/135181/i-dont-get-blade

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/198865/is-blade-still-relevant-in-2020

After reading a dozen thread with same topic as your it would be a surprise that anyone wants to talk about this seriously.
    I'm confused. First, there's the people who say "don't revive threads, don't revive threads" and then there's the people who say "don't make threads if there's already a thread about it on the forums, just use the search bar!". What do you want me to do? Either way people will get mad.

Edit: I just looked through these threads. They're from 2017 and 2019?! You really expect people to go over a year without a thread about this topic. If you don't like these threads, don't participate in them. I have all the right to make a thread about this topic because the threads you linked are all from 2017 and 2019 except for the "Is Blade still relevant in 2020?" thread.