**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Summoner Showdown Calculations

So how does a higher DPS get 4th? Not certain if this is right but just by reading those stats the player in 4th in this image should be in third.
Doesn't give much confidence that the rankings are properly worked out.

Comments

• Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    Mathgeek said:

And isn't time and dps the same thing if silver surfer always has the same health

Not necessarily. It depends when the main bulk of the DPS occurs and whether it's a sustained amount or done in bursts. It would also depend on factors such as crits and and the health of the boss when the final blow was delivered, as even if the boss was on 1hp as the last hit landed, it would show more damage than that occurring, so I'd assume that hit in particular would have to be calculated in some manner. Even if the time shows 399 on the board, that could be 399.1 or 399.9.
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Mathgeek said:

And isn't time and dps the same thing if silver surfer always has the same health

Not necessarily. It depends when the main bulk of the DPS occurs and whether it's a sustained amount or done in bursts. It would also depend on factors such as crits and and the health of the boss when the final blow was delivered, as even if the boss was on 1hp as the last hit landed, it would show more damage than that occurring, so I'd assume that hit in particular would have to be calculated in some manner. Even if the time shows 399 on the board, that could be 399.1 or 399.9.
    I don't think it matters whether it's in bursts, but the second part makes sense
  • Options

ItsDamien said:

Mathgeek said:

I don't think it matters whether it's in bursts, but the second part makes sense
    Well, I was thinking more to do with Assassin, as with more ranks you do more damage at 18% or less. So for example, if player A only had 1 rank in Assassin but was doing Higher DPS from 100-18%, but player B had 3 ranks in Assassin, but lower DPS from 100-18%, when Assassins range kicks in player Bs DPS would start rising higher and could potentially beat Player A, even though they finish at the same time.
  • Options

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Mathgeek said:

Well, I was thinking more to do with Assassin, as with more ranks you do more damage at 18% or less. So for example, if player A only had 1 rank in Assassin but was doing Higher DPS from 100-18%, but player B had 3 ranks in Assassin, but lower DPS from 100-18%, when Assassins range kicks in player Bs DPS would start rising higher and could potentially beat Player A, even though they finish at the same time.
    but it would be the same, because the dps for this is calculated by health/time, so the extra burst at the end at 1% wouldn't matter, and regarding the assassin's, generally, yes whoever with higher assassin will probably have slightly higher dps. but if they finish at the exact same time, their dps should be the same, even if whoever has the higher dps at any given moment changes throughout the fight
    You would think that, but after staring at thousands of dps meters on WoW, I can tell you that it doesn't work like that
  • Options
    ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

ItsDamien said:

Mathgeek said:

but it would be the same, because the dps for this is calculated by health/time, so the extra burst at the end at 1% wouldn't matter, and regarding the assassin's, generally, yes whoever with higher assassin will probably have slightly higher dps. but if they finish at the exact same time, their dps should be the same, even if whoever has the higher dps at any given moment changes throughout the fight
    You would think that, but after staring at thousands of dps meters on WoW, I can tell you that it doesn't work like that
    I thought they confirmed that it was health/time taken? I don't play wow, but I'm assuming it's a live meter? in that case, obviously you can't do max health/time if it's live, but it still applies. it also depends how what the dps is about in wow. if it's over the entire match it whatever, it'd be different from dps at any given point.
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,640 Guardian
    edited August 2020
    Agree with @Thicco_Mode .
    Discounting some variation for the ending kill-shot (whether the damage includes what that hit would have done, vs just including the actual amount of damage needed to get opponent down to 0), which may indeed be what contributed to the picture.

The rest should indeed be just total damage / time. Assuming Surfer has no way of Regen'ing during the fight (which would then increase the amount of total damage that was done).

So even if you did some super-mega hit in the middle of fight that took off 99% of his health, and just danced around for 3 minutes before that, and another 3 minutes after that, without doing any hits, until final regular damage kill blow, the DPS should be the same as if your hits were spaced out across that same amount of time.
  • Options

Discounting some variation for the ending kill-shot (whether the damage includes what that hit would have done, vs just including the actual amount of damage needed to get opponent down to 0), which may indeed be what contributed to the picture.

The rest should indeed be just total damage / time. Assuming Surfer has no way of Regen'ing during the fight (which would then increase the amount of total damage that was done).

So even if you did some super-mega hit in the middle of fight that took off 99% of his health, and just danced around for 3 minutes before that, and another 3 minutes after that, without doing any hits, until final regular damage kill blow, the DPS should be the same as if your hits were spaced out across that same amount of time.

That would be assuming that a DPS meter would use a linear graph to represent damage over time on an average. With damage spiking, occasionally you can push more damage in an ending stage, which would spike up any DPS meter towards the end so it would be less representative than at the start of a fight.

But then again I don't know what sort of way they're measuring it. If they were simply doing Health of SS/seconds, then yes it would lead to exactly the same DPS, but if it were more real time metric, the higher the damage output before the end would skew the numbers a little, so say if you were at 3800 dps consistently, then the past 10% you went HAM and pushed out 4100 dps, the number would be closer to the 4000 mark than the 3900 mark of an average.

Man it's really hard to explain what I mean without showing it though...
  • Options
    ItsDamien said:

That would be assuming that a DPS meter would use a linear graph to represent damage over time on an average. With damage spiking, occasionally you can push more damage in an ending stage, which would spike up any DPS meter towards the end so it would be less representative than at the start of a fight.

But then again I don't know what sort of way they're measuring it. If they were simply doing Health of SS/seconds, then yes it would lead to exactly the same DPS, but if it were more real time metric, the higher the damage output before the end would skew the numbers a little, so say if you were at 3800 dps consistently, then the past 10% you went HAM and pushed out 4100 dps, the number would be closer to the 4000 mark than the 3900 mark of an average.

Man it's really hard to explain what I mean without showing it though...
    oh I think I see what you mean. I'm not sure if it would be different through the second way though
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,770 ★★★★★
    Leaderboard corrected.

• Options
    MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    edited August 2020
    @ItsDamien , it’s really simple how to calculate DPS. Amount of damage over amount of time. So faster=higher dps. I don’t see why this is difficult to understand.
  • Options

@ItsDamien , it’s really simple how to calculate DPS. Amount of damage over amount of time. So faster=higher dps. I don’t see why this is difficult to understand.

Yes. At a very base level you can use DPS like that as I said. If the calculation used it only Total Health/Seconds. But that isn't the only way to calculate DPS. Why is that hard to understand?
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,770 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Mathgeek said:

It would also depend on factors such as crits and and the health of the boss when the final blow was delivered, as even if the boss was on 1hp as the last hit landed, it would show more damage than that occurring, so I'd assume that hit in particular would have to be calculated in some manner.
    This sounds right for me.
  • Options
    TrapTrap Posts: 124
    These guys must have the best rng in the world. I’ve tried this event at least a million times (exaggerating) and always hit on average 6:40-50mins (400) and can see that I might be able to improve by 10-20 sec if rng was on my side. But anything under that I would love to see videos of because that’s insane times without boosting, not saying they are just I like to see it with my own 2 eyes.
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Trap said:

These guys must have the best rng in the world. I’ve tried this event at least a million times (exaggerating) and always hit on average 6:40-50mins (400) and can see that I might be able to improve by 10-20 sec if rng was on my side. But anything under that I would love to see videos of because that’s insane times without boosting, not saying they are just I like to see it with my own 2 eyes.

Are you immediately starting with light attacks after your s3 and possibly running max dex to maximize the amount of crit you deal to inflict bleed? Would like to see your video...;)
  • Options
  • Options
    This is an old video I have shaved off 3-5 secs since then fixing little things here and there, basically if I haven’t reached 30 bleeds by the time 8mins hit I quit and start again. I generally bait out his specials 1st or 2nd go and can see where if rng played in my favors I could be 10-20 faster but not a whole minute...
  • Options
    The things that immediately jump out at me.

1) you lose dps starting with a parry open with a light attack combo.

2) slow on the First armor shatter, you had extra power hat you didn’t need to reach your s3.

3) pay attention to his power state when launching your s3 as you can hit him with light attacks just after it ends to boost your dps while landing more bleeds.

4) I’m not sure how much more dps this would give you but maxing dex gives you large boost to your crit rating up to mid 40s rather than high 20s. Too me that means you’ll land more bleeds which is where your dps is at.

5) if you have the hp to spare, you block the end of his s1 to immediately land light attacks.

6) when he throws his s1 I think you can shave time by running in before he does his dip/last hit, this closes the gap which prolly shaves time for each one he throws.
  • Options
    Thank you kind sir will try all these methods
  • Options
    This is not using a mastery build for the competition so I would not use it as a direct dps comparison nor use is it an example of perfect gameplay; it’s meant to show some of the techniques I mentioned in action and I just threw it together to illustrate the thing I mentioned.

https://youtu.be/9Ah-tfqyOt4
  • Options
    Looks like you got hit right man?