**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Hear me out... Ronin is the number 1 6* skill champ for non-endgame players

Comments

• MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,465 ★★★★★

You don’t need bleeds to be a “real skill champion”. Stealth Spider destroys Ronin and it’s not even close.

Strongly disagree. Ronin is better, and in my opinion by a decent chunk.
  • CliffordcanCliffordcan Posts: 1,341 ★★★★
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many bad takes in one single forum post before.
  • Toyota_2015Toyota_2015 Posts: 461 ★★★
    Profile pic checks out
  • Really? That's a long post 🤔🤔🤔🤔
    Ronin is decent yes but you also forget neither Stealth Spidey or black widow deadly origin need awakening. The rest I agree...
  • Mitch98284Mitch98284 Posts: 9
    I disagree completely. There is no way that Ronin is better than a nf in my book, even unawakened. My nf is awakened, but the extra life is more a backup than something I try to get active immediately. To go to your points, Nick has the purify and the bleeds, and the light attack bleeds do work. I follow your thoughts, but I'd much rather run a Nick with the heimdall/angela synergy to keep the tac charges than run a Ronin. That would let him permanently evade counter, purify all debuffs, and be fully unlockable. Ronin just cannot match up.

By Kabam's own admissions, Ronin is considered to be perfectly balanced, which is fantastic, except for the sea of overpowered gods that make up the core units of this game.
  • SatsuiNoHadouSatsuiNoHadou Posts: 753 ★★★
    Gotta love these hear me out posts for their alternative perspectives; even though I personally would have to disagree with them for the most part.
  • HieitakuHieitaku Posts: 1,368 ★★★★★
    As much as I:
    a) agree with a good amount of the analysis on each of the other contenders, and
    b) am also considering ranking him up as an unduped 6* over my duped 6* Killmonger mostly because Ronin utilizes suicide masteries better on his own,

I'll have to disagree with him being the best option. Almost everything in this game is relative, and even putting some limitations like saying it's for non-endgame players doesn't sit well with the fact that time will eventually change that given condition. It should be enough to present the merits of a champion and compare them on fair bases with other champions without saying seemingly absolute conclusions.

It, however, does require courage to declare such bold statements, and publicly to boot. The way I see it, opinions like these are mostly either inadequately informed, overly confident/impressed, or are actually intended to sound the way they do for whatever purpose that the writer has in mind.
  • WRIRWRIR Posts: 563 ★★★
    Nah you lost me at gwenpool and stealthy and Hit Monkey. They're definitely better than Ronin period.
    WRIR said:

Nah you lost me at gwenpool and stealthy and Hit Monkey. They're definitely better than Ronin period.

Hit Monkey, yes. The other two? No chance.
  • GraydroxGraydrox Posts: 413 ★★★
    You may be right but to me he just looks like Corvus food.
  • Ja1970Ja1970 Posts: 114
    Elsa will be my first r3 6*, enough said
  • SecretWarri0rSecretWarri0r Posts: 230
    Stealth and Hit-Monkey are out of the box better than Ronin, hands-down. Not even a discussion.
  • WOLF_LINKWOLF_LINK Posts: 1,324 ★★★★
    I agree what @TP33 said, Bleeds are more useless/a curse these days than helpful. And the stuff with Skill Champs must be able to Purify, Bleed and Crit a lot is garbage. There are tons of Champs with solid Bleed or Crits ... throughout all classes. Archangel (even undupe) is way better at Bleeding (+ more) than Ronin or most Skill Champs for example. Or Corvus/Ghost for Crits.
  • kingbradley1297kingbradley1297 Posts: 119 ★★
    If only purify and bleeds defined a champion, even Aegon isn't better since he only has SP2 bleeds.

Also, Elsa deals a **** load more damage and has different damaging debuffs. She has the very useful evade parry, she can shrug off debuffs as well (maybe not as potent), she also negates evade. She is better than Ronin in my eyes

Stealth and Hit-Monkey are out of the box better than Ronin, hands-down. Not even a discussion.

Still, wrong. Stealthy overrated.
    Ja1970 said:

Elsa will be my first r3 6*, enough said

I’d r3 Ronin over her.
    WOLF_LINK said:

I agree what @TP33 said, Bleeds are more useless/a curse these days than helpful. And the stuff with Skill Champs must be able to Purify, Bleed and Crit a lot is garbage. There are tons of Champs with solid Bleed or Crits ... throughout all classes. Archangel (even undupe) is way better at Bleeding (+ more) than Ronin or most Skill Champs for example. Or Corvus/Ghost for Crits.

I agree that is a load of bs. And what people are forgetting is if the opponent is bleed immune, Ronin ramps up in about a combo and doesn’t leave the ramped up state.

If only purify and bleeds defined a champion, even Aegon isn't better since he only has SP2 bleeds.

Also, Elsa deals a **** load more damage and has different damaging debuffs. She has the very useful evade parry, she can shrug off debuffs as well (maybe not as potent), she also negates evade. She is better than Ronin in my eyes

Ronin is better than Hawkeye 2.0.
  • avenge_123avenge_123 Posts: 1,307 ★★★
    He's really useful...but not broken op
  • HolrosHolros Posts: 361 ★★★

Title creds to @KDSuperFlash10.

I understand that overall, Ronin is not close to first.
    BUT - AS A 6*, FOR NON-ENDGAME PLAYERS, I SAY HE IS.

The 6* requirement instantly eliminates Blade. Also, he kinda needs sig OR synergies (or both). If he ever becomes 6* available, Ronin will have competition, but I still think Ronin will be better bc ronin works on his own unawakened and is more suicide friendly (blade can't get rid of Liquid Courage).

AEgon and NF need to be awakened - so you pretty much need to have either insane luck, open a whole lot of 6* crystals, have beaten abyss and gotten lucky or just explored abyss, or have explored act 6 and gotten lucky—all but one of which basically means you're endgame—you just can't get them that.

Hit-Monkey seems good at a glance. But overall, he doesn't bleed the opponent enough to be super effective on do you bleed-esque nodes. His block proficiency absolutely sucks, which is another flaw.

Taskmaster - even @MaxGaming doesn't really bother with you. Personally, i think he's pretty good but needs his sig for the utility boost, which puts him sort of in a category w NF and AEgon. Frankly, tho, who would bother awakening him? Even if he's awakened, he's probs worse than Ronin.

Killmonger is a top 5 defender in the game, and I personally think this has created a misconception that he's better on offense than he is... I mean what even are those bleeds? He gains power when he gets debuffs, but doesn't actually get rid of them? Like really???? Overall, way overrated as an attacker.

Gwenpool is also kind of overrated. She has nice bleeds and enervate (good for high level energize, surging vengeance, etc), but isn't an evade counter or a great counter for any other hard defensive champs or nodes - RONIN IS!

Nightthrasher doesn't deal enough damage. He takes a while to ramp up, is stressful, and then still doesn't have great output. Also, any rapid metabolism, tenacity, or purify renders him absolutely useless. And he's supposed to be a skill champ somehow? His basic abilities are like a science champ and his sig is like a tech champ? I mean wth is this?

BWDO is a very good champ. I love her playstyle. But in the current meta, skill means three things: Bleeds, Purify, and Crits—the first two especially. She gets some nice cruelties off the L3 but has no bleed or purify mechanic. This means that if she's your skill champ, you've got a roster hole - none of your champs can handle nodes skill champs are meant to handle, unless you want to decrease your class diversity by adding another skill champ (creating another hole).

Elsa is exactly the same as BWDO, except she can sort of purify. Still no bleeds tho.

Stealthy I absolutely love. He's my top prestige champ and I have him 5/65 at high sig. BUT - SAME AS BWDO!!! Where's the purify and bleeds!!! He has absurdly high raw damage, and is an amazing evade/unstoppable counter, all of which is nice, but he, once again, doesn't fulfill the purpose of a skill champion. If you look at cav diff, you see that in the "Skill" quest, the boost helps Ronin (a real skill champ) massively, but just power locks Stealthy. Putting him on your team means losing the ability to face the niche skill nodes.

So I've already made a super long post about Ronin (see: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/223627/another-the-most-underrated-champion-thread), and that basically sums up why I think he's really good. He has the "skill" mechanics the others don't, has a nice perfect block chance, has disorient + passive defensive AAR. He's great on all kinds of nodes. he doesn't need his sig. Et cetera, et cetera.

Overall, for players who can't awaken NF and AEgon (so pretty much non-endgame players), in my humble opinion, he is the best skill 6*.

I didn't have any issue with anything you said until you mentioned Killmonger,I couldn't help it I had to press that disagree button.
    KM is in no way overrated I will say he is perfectly rated or even underrated,if you are skillful enough you can enter a fight with KM and come out without losing a single health (tough though)and that counter punch can come in really handy for stun immune,masochism and the sort,yes his damage isn't high but his utility is what gives him the edge.
    I have a 5* r4 and a 6* r1 kill monger and I still bring him with me to act 6,I wish I could disagree twice
  • Raichu626Raichu626 Posts: 934 ★★★★
    So, what? You just redefined what a "real" skill champion is enough times until you were left with just Ronin? You could use that argument to say groot is the best cosmic, by just defining the rest of the cosmic class out of existence. Or worse, you could argue he's the best champion in the game this way.

(Also, NF doesn't need to be awakened. I got a maxed out 5* and barely even bother killing him first, he slays either way.
    Quick now, find a way to define fricking Nick Fury as not a real skill champion)
  • I like my 6* ronin, but what you said about Killmonger is laughable.

KM isnt about damage unduped ( though his reverb from the dupe skyrockets his damage). He is a tanky reliable champ. Indestructible on L2, counterpunches on L1s, can shrug debuffs with the void synergy ( who can be a staple with stubborn wars and is an amazing champ on his own), and such high crit resist that he had the throne for tankiest champ before Sentinel and Daddy Doom burst on the scene. He can take a huge amount of punishment, deals great damage, has insane utility, true strike, and a sick void synergy. He synergizes with HT as well, all good war synergies.

Please dont dismiss this Thicc boy without trying him out ( mine is r2 unduped and i use him with void in every war)
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★

I like my 6* ronin, but what you said about Killmonger is laughable.

KM isnt about damage unduped ( though his reverb from the dupe skyrockets his damage). He is a tanky reliable champ. Indestructible on L2, counterpunches on L1s, can shrug debuffs with the void synergy ( who can be a staple with stubborn wars and is an amazing champ on his own), and such high crit resist that he had the throne for tankiest champ before Sentinel and Daddy Doom burst on the scene. He can take a huge amount of punishment, deals great damage, has insane utility, true strike, and a sick void synergy. He synergizes with HT as well, all good war synergies.

Please dont dismiss this Thicc boy without trying him out ( mine is r2 unduped and i use him with void in every war)

Also some things that I learned from an @Lvernon15 video, the L1 counterstrike let's you immediately respond on a parry. This actually counts as an intercept like Ghost's phase intercepting. That same counterstrike ability also let's you throw 7 hit combos.
  • GardenerGardener Posts: 1,601 ★★★
    This is making me want to rank up my 4* ronin i loved him alot but because i have 5* archangel a 5* quake a 4*duped nick fury a 4* sunspot and 4* doc oc. The competition is hard i want to rank up my archangel but cant get the rescources too, so should i rank him up?
  • Etjama said:

Also some things that I learned from an @Lvernon15 video, the L1 counterstrike let's you immediately respond on a parry. This actually counts as an intercept like Ghost's phase intercepting. That same counterstrike ability also let's you throw 7 hit combos.
    Yep. Some lesser known tactics with the champ. KM is awesome.

• Sarvanga1_Sarvanga1_ Posts: 4,139 ★★★★★
    Gardener said:

This is making me want to rank up my 4* ronin i loved him alot but because i have 5* archangel a 5* quake a 4*duped nick fury a 4* sunspot and 4* doc oc. The competition is hard i want to rank up my archangel but cant get the rescources too, so should i rank him up?

If you love him you should do it. He is a very fun to play champ and will be very useful for you.
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★

You’re one of my new favourite people on these forums :)
  • I like my 6* ronin, but what you said about Killmonger is laughable.

hehe ive always watched out for your posts as well, KM fans unite!
    Been doing so much KM stuff in war recently, been taking thing bosses/ thing on stunning reflection, all with KM. My alt has him sig200 r5, but my main recently got him at r2 unduped. Love KM to bits, waiting for a skill t5cc to r3 him (over aegon).
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★

Been doing so much KM stuff in war recently, been taking thing bosses/ thing on stunning reflection, all with KM. My alt has him sig200 r5, but my main recently got him at r2 unduped. Love KM to bits, waiting for a skill t5cc to r3 him (over aegon).
    I’m so excited to get mine off defence even if it is just for the 2 week off season, got so much stuff I want to try with him in war, love my r3
  • RockypantherxRockypantherx Posts: 3,900 ★★★★★

Oh very nice. I don’t get to use him much on my path, but I’ve got my 6* at R3 unduped. I actually got my awakened Ægon after I had ranked up Killmonger, but I didn’t regret it. Probably because I’m quite close to another Skill T5CC.
    RDMN said:

RDMN said:

I use him in tons of endgame content as well.

What content? Genuinely curious as there's no real endgame gameplay I can find of him
    I used him for more lanes of act 6 exploration than I did Stealthy and Aegon, and I used him for a decent 1/3 of the act. He is also really good for the GM with his bleeds for the missions, really good heavy spacing capable of heavy countering the GM, and really high Crit rate. I also use him in t2/3 as as well as I have used him for various lanes of cav eq and side quest.
    1/3 of act 6 done with ronin? I want to believe you he's good but how much of that could be done easier and faster with a different champion and he's not a top 3 option for any act 6 boss fight that I can think of rn (could be wrong on that).. tbf almost any champ works for gm as long as you play well, I did most of it with 5* venom and doom.. and personally I stopped doing high end aw a while back so no use for me there.. I'll look into more of act 6 lanes to use him if I rank him up.

Ronin seems like a champion that you have to find a use for rather than a champion that is useful for something, imo. I think that's a good way to put it
    I didn’t use him for bosses, I used him for damage in some places, cmwybs, single debuff lanes, as well as some others. Have you explored act 6?