**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

How is Spider-Man 2099 a science champ?

Isn't he supposed to be a tech champ?...he's from 2099 all the other 2099 champs like guillotine and punisher are tech...I think Spider-Man 2099 should be tech...also I've been waiting for him since a long time....and I'm really hoping he's better than peni Parker....which knowing kabam won't happen...

Comments

• ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,756 ★★★★★
    Because spidey 2099 was still bitten by a radioactive spider.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,793 ★★★★★

Miguel O'Hara, an engineer of Irish and Mexican descent, was born after his mother Conchata had an affair with her husband's boss Tyler Stone, though grew up believing his stepfather was also his biological father.[citation needed] As an adult, he worked for Alchemax. He was less than pleased at the corporation's vast control over the city. A genius in the field of genetics, he was being pressured by Tyler Stone to test a process to imprint genetic codes into human physiology. He reluctantly tried the process on a test subject named Mr. Sims. It was a failure - Sims was transformed into a hideous creature and quickly died.[citation needed]

This was the last straw for Miguel: he went to Stone and attempted to hand in his notice. Stone gave and Miguel accepted a drink which, unknown to Miguel had been laced with the highly addictive hallucinogenic drug that bonds to the victim's DNA, called Rapture. As Alchemax was sole manufacturer of the drug, Stone expected that Miguel would be forced to remain with the company. In an attempt to rid himself of the hallucinogen, Miguel decided to try the genetic procedure, which had killed Sims, on himself, as he had input his own original genetic code as a baseline. The process was sabotaged by his supervisor, Aaron Delgato, in the attempt to kill him (the incident would be covered up as an accident). Miguel survived the process; his DNA was spliced with the genes of a spider and gained several powers, though he lost his addiction to Rapture.[citation needed]

• ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,756 ★★★★★

My first comment edit time ran out but just to solidify my statement

Superior iron mans suit is made from symbiote DNA, which makes him cosmic. So why is Agent Venom skill? Is it because he uses guns? So do guns automatically make you a skill champion? Joe Fixit uses a gun, why isn’t he skill? Falcon uses a tech suit to fight, why isn’t he tech? Blade uses a sword which is a weapon and he’s skill, so does that mean swords or weapons make you skill? Then explain proxima and corvus. Aegon uses hand to hand combat primarily, but also displays cosmic attributes or do you consider them mystical attributes?? so couldn’t he be cosmic or shouldn’t he be mystic???????

I sound pretty stupid right. Yeah so rethink making another thread like this for the future.

Well proxima and corvus are easily explained. They aren't humans at all and from space just like the symbiotes so cosmic is the only thing they could be lol. For AV tho, the case could easily be made for him to be cosmic because of the symbiote he carries.
  • whatitdobaybwhatitdobayb Posts: 40
    edited August 2021
    Buttehrs said:

Superior iron mans suit is made from symbiote DNA, which makes him cosmic. So why is Agent Venom skill? Is it because he uses guns? So do guns automatically make you a skill champion? Joe Fixit uses a gun, why isn’t he skill? Falcon uses a tech suit to fight, why isn’t he tech? Blade uses a sword which is a weapon and he’s skill, so does that mean swords or weapons make you skill? Then explain proxima and corvus. Aegon uses hand to hand combat primarily, but also displays cosmic attributes or do you consider them mystical attributes?? so couldn’t he be cosmic or shouldn’t he be mystic???????

I sound pretty stupid right. Yeah so rethink making another thread like this for the future.

Well proxima and corvus are easily explained. They aren't humans at all and from space just like the symbiotes so cosmic is the only thing they could be lol. For AV tho, the case could easily be made for him to be cosmic because of the symbiote he carries.
    Just trying to cover my bases, but the corvus and proxima was definitely pushing it.
    Sungj said:

If you actually know anything about the character spiderman 2099 it 100% makes sense that he's a science character. His whole backstory and him obtaining his powers were through scientific means. In short he was essentially poisoned and attempted to rewrite his dna to cure the effects of it but his DNA template was switched with an experimental DNA of a spider so his DNA became 50% spider giving him his powers. His powers are also more dependent on his science based powers than even other spidermen with him having, talons and fangs he can blast venom with

I agree with you, but even though OPs claim is naive, Spidey99 could easily have been a tech champion as much as he is a science one.

The same way in an alternate universe Blade is mystic
  • HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    Rohit_316 said:

Dragon Man is a mystic ...nuff said.

Diablo helped give him (an Android at the time) life via mystical operations
  • BendyBendy Posts: 3,349 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

Just trying to cover my bases, but the corvus and proxima was definitely pushing it.
    Sungj said:

If you actually know anything about the character spiderman 2099 it 100% makes sense that he's a science character. His whole backstory and him obtaining his powers were through scientific means. In short he was essentially poisoned and attempted to rewrite his dna to cure the effects of it but his DNA template was switched with an experimental DNA of a spider so his DNA became 50% spider giving him his powers. His powers are also more dependent on his science based powers than even other spidermen with him having, talons and fangs he can blast venom with

I agree with you, but even though OPs claim is naive, Spidey99 could easily have been a tech champion as much as he is a science one.

The same way in an alternate universe Blade is mystic
    Not really as he got his powers from scientific experiment unlike peni her spider stuff is from a mech thats a tech or stark spidey thats from the suit that iron man made so no 2099 spidey couldnt be a tech due to he altered his own dna for the spidey powers as someone said
  • Lucifer_666Lucifer_666 Posts: 46
    edited August 2021
    I know kabam doesn't always make sense but this has been going on for a long time...@whatitdobayb Domino is in the mutant class as she is a mutant...the fact that is uses guns doesn't mean that she's a skilled shot...she's just lucky....cap iw is a science experiment....rocket uses tech weapons and is pretty useless without them.... punisher is a skilled mercenary.... superior iron man harnesses the power of the infinity stones and hence a cosmic.... everything makes sense... but if a spiderman being science wears a tech suit, is given a tech class aka stark enhanced spider man....and the same should apply to spider man 2099!
  • Stebo_79Stebo_79 Posts: 636 ★★★
    There's many champs who could be multiple classes. Look at Black Panther and Killmonger, they get their powers from a plant and material for their suits from a meteorite that crashed to earth. So really they could be science, Cosmic, tech and skill.
    But as for Spidey99, science makes sense, as people have said, he rewrote his DNA to try and rid himself from an addiction to a futuristic drug he was spiked with and then the experiment was sabotaged with spider DNA. You can't get more sciencey than playing with DNA.
  • Lucifer_666Lucifer_666 Posts: 46
    There are many more debatable characters in game like dragon man, CGR although he might be right.... juggernaut being mystic instead of mutant... agent venom , antman and wasp (use tech suits) and falcon are in the wrong class
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    Stebo_79 said:

There's many champs who could be multiple classes. Look at Black Panther and Killmonger, they get their powers from a plant and material for their suits from a meteorite that crashed to earth. So really they could be science, Cosmic, tech and skill.
    But as for Spidey99, science makes sense, as people have said, he rewrote his DNA to try and rid himself from an addiction to a futuristic drug he was spiked with and then the experiment was sabotaged with spider DNA. You can't get more sciencey than playing with DNA.

Wait but the double helix is the mutant symbol…

KABAM WHY ISNT S2099 THE MUTANT SPIDER-MAN WE ALWAYS WANTED
  • Stebo_79Stebo_79 Posts: 636 ★★★
    Here's your mutant spider-man...

Man-Spider
    Coming to the battleream one day... maybe
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
    Kabam doesn't make the decisions on these things alone .. Marvel has a say as well so be comforted in the fact that Marvel has input on it and ultimately approves.
  • abn86abn86 Posts: 107
    edited August 2021

There are many more debatable characters in game like dragon man, CGR although he might be right.... juggernaut being mystic instead of mutant... agent venom , antman and wasp (use tech suits) and falcon are in the wrong class

Juggernaut is not a mutant. He gets his power from the gem of cytorrak. That's always been his backstory, afaik.

Now, Unstoppable Colossus as mystic that doesn't have Colossus' kit (or Juggs post stagger update) is more of an argument. But not Juggs.

Also, Antman and Wasp both involve manipulating Pym particles which is what changes their size. The suit aids in particle manipulation, but the particles themselves are what gives them their powers which is why they are science.

Edit: Should add that I'm guessing on how the suit relates (I'm not huge on AM & Wasp comic lore at all) to the Pym particles. But the size manipulation is only because of the particles.
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    Because the class system doesn't mesh well with the marvel universe. I could see it working well with the initial roster, but a general #tag system would've been easier to upscale.

That kind of functionality probably came to the codebase later, though.
  • CrusaderjrCrusaderjr Posts: 1,059 ★★★★
    spidey 2099 is still a dna based character that uses suits for enhancements, thats like saying make ironman skill cause hes human but uses a tech suit for enhancement lol
    i mean there are plenty of characters that have strange forms, like kamala khan should technically be science as well or maybe even mutant since it was dna based, just a so many possibilities.
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,995 ★★★★★
    Stebo_79 said:

Here's your mutant spider-man...

Man-Spider
    Coming to the battleream one day... maybe

I want this so badly. I want a spider for all seasons (classes). They can stop once I have them all like a creepy-crawly infinity gauntlet
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    Here’s your answer. Kabam wanted to add another science champion because we need more science champions so they made Spider-Man 2099 science.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,978 ★★★★★

Isn't he supposed to be a tech champ?...he's from 2099 all the other 2099 champs like guillotine and punisher are tech...I think Spider-Man 2099 should be tech...also I've been waiting for him since a long time....and I'm really hoping he's better than peni Parker....which knowing kabam won't happen...

If only there was a way to look at origin stories for Marvel characters..... oh wait....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_2099
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 20,978 ★★★★★
    Will3808 said:

Here’s your answer. Kabam wanted to add another science champion because we need more science champions so they made Spider-Man 2099 science.

That's not it at all. He literally got his abilities from science experiments. He is science all the way.
  • phil56201phil56201 Posts: 964 ★★★
    2099 doesn't denote the character is tech. It was a series of comics launched in the early 90's that took place in the future of the Marvel Universe set in the year 2099.

If Kabam ever decided to add characters from other titles such as X-men 2099, they would be in the mutant class. Hulk 2099 would still be a science champion, Doom 2099 could be mystic or tech, and Venom 2099 would still be a cosmic champion.
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    A lot of his special abilities are a result of the experiment which solidifies him as a science champ, if your primary argument for Tech is his suit, that isn't the issue here because he's wearing his traditional suit, not the white one that he got later on in the comics. And also another thing to remember is that while Kabam makes the character for use in game, Marvel is the one that has the final okay as to how that character is represented in game so if Marvel is saying he's a science champion then he is a science champion.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

While there is judgment involved, that judgment isn't completely random. The guiding principle is this. First, take the champion as they exist in the game, not as they exist in other source material. Given how the champion exists in the game specifically, which of the six classes best exemplifies the statement: the source of the champion's extraordinary abilities comes from a source best represented by that class?

Joe Fixit uses a gun, but he doesn't use a gun in any extraordinary way. He's not known for being an exceptional gunslinger. His extraordinary abilities are his strength and gamma-enhanced physiology, which come from a science origin. The Punisher, on the other hand, is known for being exceptionally good with weapons. What makes him special is his proficiencies, which are best described as skill-based. Punisher 2099, on the other hand, is known at least as much for his high tech weaponry as for his skill in using them. It is a reasonable judgment call to say his weaponry is more extraordinary than his proficiency in using that weaponry, when you have to pick one.

Spiderman 2099 is science because his core abilities come from his genetic enhancements which are science in nature. His costume grants other abilities, but in the judgment of the designers those function more like OG Spiderman's web shooters: they are a tool more than the core of his abilities.