**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

What ever happened to the root mechanic?

Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
So y'all remember that event where kabam introduced the root mechanic where you were locked to a specific position in the arena if you or the opponent performed a specific action.

Now this mechanic wasn't too kindly recieved by the community but if I'm correct it was hinted that it would appear somewhere in the game down the line again; in a champ, content nobody knows.

Now this brings me my question, what ever happened to this mechanic. Was it scrapped, will it just appear later down the line? Was the fate of the root mechanic ever communicated and I just missed it?

Comments

• Options
    ItsDamienItsDamien Posts: 5,626 ★★★★★
    It needed some more work, but overall I enjoyed the mechanic. The only thing that I felt needed to be adjusted was the size of the "ring" for lack of a better term, as it often put you out of attack range (think Mag X parry push back).

Otherwise the mechanic was alright.
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,806 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

It needed some more work, but overall I enjoyed the mechanic. The only thing that I felt needed to be adjusted was the size of the "ring" for lack of a better term, as it often put you out of attack range (think Mag X parry push back).

Otherwise the mechanic was alright.

that and suddenly the ai wanted to throw a heavy attack very frequently

Black Widow’s heavy attack caught me many a time
  • Options

Champs like Peni Parker will become more and more common if something like root isn't here to shake up the combat.

Wait what do you mean champs like Peni Parker becoming more common? Is there something in her defence abilities that players don't like?
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    root had some serious issues. it had multiple triggers during the same special meaning you could prevent i happening at the start of the special but it woulf trigger midway
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,141 ★★★★★
    I liked root (not all variations, the heavy one could catch you or pretty easily) but not as an everyday thing but maybe in the occasional stuff quest it would make things interesting.
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★

Unpopular opinion. If the game is having issues moving properly, the last thing I want is a mechanic holding me in place.

I second this.
  • Options
    FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★

Unpopular opinion. If the game is having issues moving properly, the last thing I want is a mechanic holding me in place.

Not unpopular at all.

Although in something like a Groot rework where the root mechanic would be neat for him to have during a special attack, something that we as the community can use too - I agree that I’d rather wait for the overall game mechanics to improve before ravaging us with this tested and not well received mechanic.
  • Options
    DjmagsDjmags Posts: 115
    Hated root it just sucked, nothing clever or unique about it at all
  • Options
    MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Why did you remind kabaam :/

Because some of us like to have new and interesting mechanics that take a modicum of skill to get around. The game is mostly stale at this point with its cookie cutter formula of node design.
    “Skill”
  • Options
    Mercury79Mercury79 Posts: 551 ★★
    I think root mech works better if we both have option to use it...us and our opponent once in a fight...when ever champ stuck they root opponent freeze them and escape or a button to use in fight one chance for one fight if they we got knocked after using it that gonna be over...and after revive still it will be not avalable i think this would be better @Kabam Miike @Kabam Lyra
  • Options
    Mercury79 said:

I think root mech works better if we both have option to use it...us and our opponent once in a fight...when ever champ stuck they root opponent freeze them and escape or a button to use in fight one chance for one fight if they we got knocked after using it that gonna be over...and after revive still it will be not avalable i think this would be better @Kabam Miike @Kabam Lyra

Eh I doubt this would make it better.
  • Options
    Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★

Groot should get it when he gets nerfed

Most people assumed that it would be introduced regularly with the groot buff but we’ve seen nothing since.
  • Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★
    Ngl rooted shoulda shown up for a challenge like SOP
  • Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★
    Haji_Saab said:

Any mechanic that makes the game a bit more challenging is not going to be received well by the “community”. The devs should never look for feedback for such mechanics.

The root mechanic brought the back-against-the-wall gameplay into the middle. Such mechanics are much better than “you will die after x seconds or y hits”.

I really didn’t find it that hard to dex, and sometimes it’s actually beneficial so you can punish the opponent better. Liked the node. Could be used for events like CAV EQ, , summoner showdown or SOP. Hopefully it makes a return