Quality of Life Suggestion: Less paths for Map 6?

Comments

• BocksaroxBocksarox Member Posts: 329 ★★★
    Zeraphan said:

Bocksarox said:

J0eySn0w said:

Bocksarox said:

Bocksarox said:

You can still defeat the map 6 boss with linked nodes on him. I highly doubt any paths will be removed; deal with it.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/205014/awakening-gem-trade-in-system#latest

I made this suggestion a year and a half before it was implemented. I doubt my suggestion made any difference, and it wasn't carried out the way I had described it, but as it turns out the awakening gem trade in was a huge hit.

So, maybe you can't see past the nose on your own face, but it doesn't mean that these types of QoL suggestions are bad ideas. These ideas are raw and Kabam would need to work them into their vision of how they see things moving forward.
    There’s a big difference between an inventory or item suggestion and suggesting that they remove paths from AQ map6 becuz you think “there’s no room for error”.

Thing is, you don’t need 10 people to defeat the map6 mini boss, so “the no room for error” argument goes out the window. It’s made so that you need 10 people to 100%. That’s the challenge and why it’s “harder” than map5. Reducing the amount of paths in section 3 would just make it a glorified map5.
    Have you actually read anything I said? This is not the point I am trying to make. This is 100% about exploration. Not about a boss. Not about a mini boss. Not about the fights on the path being too hard. I want to remove two paths that only have one fight each (two fights total, see image on original post) so that alliances can explore the final section without needing all 10 people.

With the addition of Map 8, there is no longer any need for Map 6 to be as demanding as it is currently, especially since Map 6 doesn't require an admission fee.
    Map 6 isn't demanding. Map 7 isn't even demanding. Anyone with a low-mid to mid tier roster shouldn't have any issues.
    I think you're missing the point unless I don't understand what you mean by demanding. Ideally, when AQ is being tackled the goal is to explore and you need all 10 players to be able to do so in Map 6. That's one point @Bocksarox is pointing. If that's not demanding what is? It's not about the fight difficulties but getting everyone involved before the quest end thus QoL. With new Map 8, Map 6 is kinda longer what it used to be and that makes sense considering how rosters have grown, now we have 6r4s, champion pools going up with many new champs to tackle different interactions, tickets been removed from Map 6 etc... it's only fair to make the quest less demanding for casual palyers (many of whom have multiple r3s they wanna put them to the challenge and not having to chased around to join and be checking their phone every now and then), that way they don't need all 10 players to explore.
    OP wants a "QOL" change because they can't get the full commitment from their alliance. That's what this boils down to. So because they can't get full commitment, they want paths reduced. That's why lower maps exist is for alliances that can't get a full 10 person BG to commit to AQ.
    No, it is exactly as @J0eySn0w described. I have 17 R3 champs and Map 5 does not offer the same challenge that it once did. Map 6 is the next step, but the number of paths makes that difficult, and the paths with one fight seem arbitrary. The game is moving forward, but Map 6 is stuck in the past.

Map 6 is a bottleneck, and it is holding back casual players that have accounts too big for Map 5 because of a required time commitment. It seems like you're the only one missing the point.
    There is no point in arguing with them. Some of the people fighting you on this only agree with ideas that are their own and everyone who doesn't agree with them is wrong.

This community, sadly, also has a lot of "I had to do it so everyone should" mentality. There were a lot of complaints when the earlier Acts were made easier because new players didn't have to deal with the same stuff older players did.
    I know Demon's reputation in the forums. I know he just likes to argue, and there are 4,700 posts that support that.
  • Ken1378Ken1378 Member Posts: 279 ★★★
    Bocksarox said:

J0eySn0w said:

Bocksarox said:

Bocksarox said:

You can still defeat the map 6 boss with linked nodes on him. I highly doubt any paths will be removed; deal with it.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/205014/awakening-gem-trade-in-system#latest

I made this suggestion a year and a half before it was implemented. I doubt my suggestion made any difference, and it wasn't carried out the way I had described it, but as it turns out the awakening gem trade in was a huge hit.

So, maybe you can't see past the nose on your own face, but it doesn't mean that these types of QoL suggestions are bad ideas. These ideas are raw and Kabam would need to work them into their vision of how they see things moving forward.
    There’s a big difference between an inventory or item suggestion and suggesting that they remove paths from AQ map6 becuz you think “there’s no room for error”.

Thing is, you don’t need 10 people to defeat the map6 mini boss, so “the no room for error” argument goes out the window. It’s made so that you need 10 people to 100%. That’s the challenge and why it’s “harder” than map5. Reducing the amount of paths in section 3 would just make it a glorified map5.
    Have you actually read anything I said? This is not the point I am trying to make. This is 100% about exploration. Not about a boss. Not about a mini boss. Not about the fights on the path being too hard. I want to remove two paths that only have one fight each (two fights total, see image on original post) so that alliances can explore the final section without needing all 10 people.

With the addition of Map 8, there is no longer any need for Map 6 to be as demanding as it is currently, especially since Map 6 doesn't require an admission fee.
    Map 6 isn't demanding. Map 7 isn't even demanding. Anyone with a low-mid to mid tier roster shouldn't have any issues.
    I think you're missing the point unless I don't understand what you mean by demanding. Ideally, when AQ is being tackled the goal is to explore and you need all 10 players to be able to do so in Map 6. That's one point @Bocksarox is pointing. If that's not demanding what is? It's not about the fight difficulties but getting everyone involved before the quest end thus QoL. With new Map 8, Map 6 is kinda longer what it used to be and that makes sense considering how rosters have grown, now we have 6r4s, champion pools going up with many new champs to tackle different interactions, tickets been removed from Map 6 etc... it's only fair to make the quest less demanding for casual palyers (many of whom have multiple r3s they wanna put them to the challenge and not having to chased around to join and be checking their phone every now and then), that way they don't need all 10 players to explore.
    OP wants a "QOL" change because they can't get the full commitment from their alliance. That's what this boils down to. So because they can't get full commitment, they want paths reduced. That's why lower maps exist is for alliances that can't get a full 10 person BG to commit to AQ.
    No, it is exactly as @J0eySn0w described. I have 17 R3 champs and Map 5 does not offer the same challenge that it once did. Map 6 is the next step, but the number of paths makes that difficult, and the paths with one fight seem arbitrary. The game is moving forward, but Map 6 is stuck in the past.

Map 6 is a bottleneck, and it is holding back casual players that have accounts too big for Map 5 because of a required time commitment. It seems like you're the only one missing the point.
    A couple things I don’t understand:

Why is exploration so important to you? If you have 17 6r3’s that 1 extra Map 6 crystal really isn’t moving the needle at all. The better rewards are in the milestone and rank rewards. You just need completion for those.

Why do you want to increase the jump in difficulty from Map 6 to Map 7? It’s already a pretty big jump coordinating paths when you first start. Or are you advocating for a Map 7 change as well?
    Ken1378 said:

Bocksarox said:

J0eySn0w said:

Bocksarox said:

Bocksarox said:

Why is exploration so important to you? If you have 17 6r3’s that 1 extra Map 6 crystal really isn’t moving the needle at all. The better rewards are in the milestone and rank rewards. You just need completion for those.

Why do you want to increase the jump in difficulty from Map 6 to Map 7? It’s already a pretty big jump coordinating paths when you first start. Or are you advocating for a Map 7 change as well?
    One extra, or more likely three extra, Map 6 crystals per day. That adds up.

I'm advocating that the increase in time commitment be moved to Map 7, if that's how you want to look at it.

Objectively speaking for section 3 as far as i know

Map 3 - 5 lanes
    Map 4 - 7 lanes
    map 5 - 8 lanes
    map 6 - 10
    map 7....

Not really sure what your issue is for timing on map6. Its easy enough as it is. If you cant 100% it then your better off doin d lower maps.
    If you want challenge on lower maps then use champs of lower rarity.

If its just a few people that really want a challenge then go join a team that are still doin M6 and can 100% it.

I heard the "get over it" argument and it isn't interesting. I understand how things are. I'm trying to explain why it should change.
    Bocksarox said:

Ken1378 said:

Bocksarox said:

J0eySn0w said:

Bocksarox said:

Bocksarox said:

One extra, or more likely three extra, Map 6 crystals per day. That adds up.

I'm advocating that the increase in time commitment be moved to Map 7, if that's how you want to look at it.
    Hmm, interesting take. I figured I’d go open 15 Map 6 crystals to see what it “adds up” to.
    6k T2A
    13k T4B
    21k of various T4CC
    And that’s assuming you miss exploration in every single BG on all 5 days.

Doesn’t seem like much to me when you weigh that against the 6k T5B and 5k T2A that you get by going from Rank 2,201-2,800 to Rank 1,701-2,200. And that doesn’t even include the extra Glory or extra Milestone rewards that you’d get as well.

I do think you should reconsider how important exploration is. Just my 2 cents.

Also, your second comment makes it seem like you think time commitment should only be increased once across all of Maps 5-8. That doesn’t make much sense to me. I really don’t see why increasing the gap between Map 6 and Map 7 would be a good thing for the game mode overall.
  • Wiredawg1Wiredawg1 Member Posts: 504 ★★★★
    You are acting like map 6 is time consuming. I take it you haven’t played it since you have 6 energy at start and 45 min timers. Having 10 paths in section 3 is not an issue also since they came out with being able to undo a move in aq. If you are having issue with map 6. That’s on the player. As my alliance runs map 6 all 5 days. Every bg is in section 3 before midnight east. So you telling me you have players that don’t come on for 14 hours to clear their lines? If that case find new players. If it’s an item issue. Again find new players that don’t use items. Map 6 is easier then 5 is
    Wiredawg1 said:

You are acting like map 6 is time consuming. I take it you haven’t played it since you have 6 energy at start and 45 min timers. Having 10 paths in section 3 is not an issue also since they came out with being able to undo a move in aq. If you are having issue with map 6. That’s on the player. As my alliance runs map 6 all 5 days. Every bg is in section 3 before midnight east. So you telling me you have players that don’t come on for 14 hours to clear their lines? If that case find new players. If it’s an item issue. Again find new players that don’t use items. Map 6 is easier then 5 is

I already addressed most of this in a previous part of the thread. So, I’ll keep it simple.

I think 10 path sections should be reserved for the highest Maps. I think Map 6 can be reduced to 8 paths and it would help a lot of alliances move up to a higher Map. If that’s too easy for you and your alliance, Map 7 exists. However, I think most people already running Map 6 would enjoy the reduced stress.

We are casual, but Map 5 is too easy. Map 6 requires too many people to be available 5 out of every 8 days. Are we going to keep having this discussion when 7 star champs are available?

At some point, changes have to be made to adjust for the power creep. I’m suggesting that time is now.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,767 ★★★★★
    Bocksarox said:

Wiredawg1 said:

I already addressed most of this in a previous part of the thread. So, I’ll keep it simple.

I think 10 path sections should be reserved for the highest Maps. I think Map 6 can be reduced to 8 paths and it would help a lot of alliances move up to a higher Map. If that’s too easy for you and your alliance, Map 7 exists. However, I think most people already running Map 6 would enjoy the reduced stress.

We are casual, but Map 5 is too easy. Map 6 requires too many people to be available 5 out of every 8 days. Are we going to keep having this discussion when 7 star champs are available?

At some point, changes have to be made to adjust for the power creep. I’m suggesting that time is now.
    You know that you'd have to remove more than just 2 fights right? There's 4 fights that make up that middle 2 paths.

While were at it, let's reduce map 5 to 4 paths each because super casual alliances just don't have the time to commit to it.
  • ChiliDogChiliDog Member Posts: 891 ★★★
    I think all the maps need redesigned. For QoL I would drop out any spaces without fights (or have open spaces cost 0 energy to move over). With time zones, staying up an extra 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to drop a link, when you rolled over 2 or 3 open energy sink spaces in the process to get there does not require additional skill or enjoyment...just staying up longer.
  • Hort4Hort4 Member Posts: 503 ★★★
    If map 6 is opened to more alliance by having less paths then someone doing act 6 now will get knocked out of tank rewards. I am not sure that is fair. They can manage map 6 now but will take a hit with the change. Your argument might be to tell them to do map 7. I don’t think resolving your need to be able to run map 6 should force another alliance into a decision to run a harder map and hurt their QOL.
  • Hort4Hort4 Member Posts: 503 ★★★
    FYI - we run map 5 x 5 and would likely benefit by the change but I also like to view from other vantage points as well.
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Member Posts: 4,718 ★★★★★
    Whoever designed Map6 failed miserably.
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Member Posts: 942 ★★★★
    I find this to be straightforward but it doesn't appear so to others. The level of commitment with Map5 is different from 6 & 7 and now 8 like I said before. In Map 5, if one of your members have an emergency or is traveling and won't be around a short time, you can still explore with 9 members. Map 8 alliances are top tier and can't afford losing a member for 24+ hrs. I understand when Map 8 wasn't around 6 and 7 were top tier. Now we have 8, Map 6 tickets are no more why not make drop down the commitment level further by reducing the paths? The leeway being asked here is not even Map 2 or 3 type but will still require a good measure of commitment just not the same as Map 7 and 8. Those strongly against it, I'm wondering what's in for you. If you don't mind and are able to do the 10-paths section you sure can do it when it's 8 or 9 and make room for others to join in.
    DNA3000 said:

Bocksarox said:

Wiredawg1 said:

You know that you'd have to remove more than just 2 fights right? There's 4 fights that make up that middle 2 paths.

While were at it, let's reduce map 5 to 4 paths each because super casual alliances just don't have the time to commit to it.
    If the devs keep adding maps like they seem to want to do, one day that will become a necessity. Not today, certainly, but one day. Because casual alliances have to be able to do something, and while we could point them to map 3 when there were only five maps, it is hard to do that with a straight face when there are eight maps, and when the day comes when we have ten or twelve maps that will be ludicrous.
    I honestly hope we don't see 12 AQ maps lol.
    J0eySn0w said:

I find this to be straightforward but it doesn't appear so to others. The level of commitment with Map5 is different from 6 & 7 and now 8 like I said before. In Map 5, if one of your members have an emergency or is traveling and won't be around a short time, you can still explore with 9 members. Map 8 alliances are top tier and can't afford losing a member for 24+ hrs. I understand when Map 8 wasn't around 6 and 7 were top tier. Now we have 8, Map 6 tickets are no more why not make drop down the commitment level further by reducing the paths? The leeway being asked here is not even Map 2 or 3 type but will still require a good measure of commitment just not the same as Map 7 and 8. Those strongly against it, I'm wondering what's in for you. If you don't mind and are able to do the 10-paths section you sure can do it when it's 8 or 9 and make room for others to join in.

There's nothing in it for me. If Kabam put section 3 to 9 paths, no skin off my back. The problem I have is only wanting a change in maps because someones BG can't commit to 10 paths. That's not a QOL change. That's trying to make your square peg fit into a round hole.

Your asking Kabam to make changes to fit your personal needs when the map itself was designed to get everyone in your alliance to work together.
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Member Posts: 942 ★★★★

J0eySn0w said:

There's nothing in it for me. If Kabam put section 3 to 9 paths, no skin off my back. The problem I have is only wanting a change in maps because someones BG can't commit to 10 paths. That's not a QOL change. That's trying to make your square peg fit into a round hole.

Your asking Kabam to make changes to fit your personal needs when the map itself was designed to get everyone in your alliance to work together.
    Everyone in Map 5 alliances work together as well, everyone. But as you know, we all don’t have the same circumstances and life can get in the way of game activities for some more than others. That’s why we have hardcore players and those that aren’t, or can’t even if they want to. The leeway ask makes room for the latter to enjoy Map 6; the slight rewards difference, it’s challenging fights and a new experience for some, etc. What’s the point in introducing Map 8 giving its players a new experience (also relief them of Map 7 boredom or routine) but Map 5 players can’t jump unto the Map 6 train because of one of the reasons they couldn’t do it at first (fear of not exploring cos of the 10 paths section).
    I just counted the number of fights in Map 5 and Map 6. I got 112 vs 119. I didn’t realize it was that close. I also counted 43 empty nodes vs 47 empty nodes, so total movement required is quite similar as well.

It seems to me that this entire argument hinges on the OP and his supporters wanting to be able to explore the Map, not just finish it. Which is a pretty weak argument when you consider the difference in rewards, IMO.