**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Thanks for the cool calendar Kabam!

Comments

• BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Do you honestly think it is unreasonable for a player to feel resentment towards Kabam regarding this topic?.

I do.

It is psychologically understandable, just like being afraid of blue food or plants that move is psychologically understandable, but it is completely unreasonable nonetheless

There's no rational reason for anyone to resent a company who does these things, and so the resentment is unreasonable on its face. The fundamental basis of the resentment boils down to "if they get it I should get it, and conversely if they get it and I don't that's saying I'm less important which is insulting." These are irrational beliefs.

I'm sure someone will be coming along to mention an experiment conducted with monkeys, which serves to demonstrate the biological root of the psychological response. It does not, however, demonstrate the reasonableness of that reaction. If anything, it demonstrates that it isn't difficult to overcome rationality and get someone to act against their own best interests, which is always an unreasonable act.
    The thing is, and is probably why we differ in opinion, is that I would like to live in a world which is more equal and fair. When I don’t see that happening I find it unreasonable, and my instinct does lead to resentment. Call that a bad thing if you like, but the point of view I derive from your assessment is that it OK for one individual to be treated differently to another, but that’s your opinion and I’m fine with that. The world is full of all sorts.

I don’t believe I’m making any constructive points about the topic anyway, so I’ll leave it at that. We all have our opinions, and it’s nice we can share them and understand each other. @BitterSteel thanks for the chat 👍
    @Morpheus_123 i realise you’ve said you don’t want to carry on, but I’m curious about your answer to this question

When a Netflix user cancels their subscription, is it ok to offer them a discounted price?

That’s not equal, they save money compared to others by “doing nothing”. Netflix just want to retain the customer. But that’s not treating every individual the same
  • Morpheus_123Morpheus_123 Posts: 792 ★★★

DNA3000 said:

Do you honestly think it is unreasonable for a player to feel resentment towards Kabam regarding this topic?.

I do.

It is psychologically understandable, just like being afraid of blue food or plants that move is psychologically understandable, but it is completely unreasonable nonetheless

There's no rational reason for anyone to resent a company who does these things, and so the resentment is unreasonable on its face. The fundamental basis of the resentment boils down to "if they get it I should get it, and conversely if they get it and I don't that's saying I'm less important which is insulting." These are irrational beliefs.

I'm sure someone will be coming along to mention an experiment conducted with monkeys, which serves to demonstrate the biological root of the psychological response. It does not, however, demonstrate the reasonableness of that reaction. If anything, it demonstrates that it isn't difficult to overcome rationality and get someone to act against their own best interests, which is always an unreasonable act.
    The thing is, and is probably why we differ in opinion, is that I would like to live in a world which is more equal and fair. When I don’t see that happening I find it unreasonable, and my instinct does lead to resentment. Call that a bad thing if you like, but the point of view I derive from your assessment is that it OK for one individual to be treated differently to another, but that’s your opinion and I’m fine with that. The world is full of all sorts.

I don’t believe I’m making any constructive points about the topic anyway, so I’ll leave it at that. We all have our opinions, and it’s nice we can share them and understand each other. @BitterSteel thanks for the chat 👍
    @Morpheus_123 i realise you’ve said you don’t want to carry on, but I’m curious about your answer to this question

When a Netflix user cancels their subscription, is it ok to offer them a discounted price?

That’s not equal, they save money compared to others by “doing nothing”. Netflix just want to retain the customer. But that’s not treating every individual the same
    @BitterSteel I'm enjoying the points of view you're putting across, and trying to understand/learn a different way of looking at this issue, hence I'm back, your fish hook worked ;)

In answer to your question my blunt response is no, it is not OK. Granted, from a business sense it is good practice to keep custom and increase their stature as a going concern. But my fluid point has been about fairness, and the feeling that evokes when it doesn't appear to have been practiced. However, if the same discount is offered to all those who are in the same situation, that would be fair, or equal as I like to think.

Most businesses aren't fair or equal, and as the saying goes "It's a dog eat dog world". So if I saw Netflix do that, it wouldn't bother me at all, for one very specific reason.

That reason is that Netflix subscribers are sole end users, with there being absolutely no competitive implication. So one user getting a discount, only affects that user and nobody else. MCoC isn't that type of business, and the end users [us players] are directly effected by what happens to other users. That's not true in some aspects of the game like story mode, but many of the events in the game involve player vs player competitions, so giving game resources like this calendar improves one player above another. That is unfair.

PS, are Netflix giving discounts?!!!...... I might send them an email JK
    Rillian said:

DNA3000 said:

I do.

@BitterSteel I'm enjoying the points of view you're putting across, and trying to understand/learn a different way of looking at this issue, hence I'm back, your fish hook worked ;)

In answer to your question my blunt response is no, it is not OK. Granted, from a business sense it is good practice to keep custom and increase their stature as a going concern. But my fluid point has been about fairness, and the feeling that evokes when it doesn't appear to have been practiced. However, if the same discount is offered to all those who are in the same situation, that would be fair, or equal as I like to think.

Most businesses aren't fair or equal, and as the saying goes "It's a dog eat dog world". So if I saw Netflix do that, it wouldn't bother me at all, for one very specific reason.

That reason is that Netflix subscribers are sole end users, with there being absolutely no competitive implication. So one user getting a discount, only affects that user and nobody else. MCoC isn't that type of business, and the end users [us players] are directly effected by what happens to other users. That's not true in some aspects of the game like story mode, but many of the events in the game involve player vs player competitions, so giving game resources like this calendar improves one player above another. That is unfair.

It doesn’t really improve one player over another if the one player who is being improved doesn’t even realise you are competing with him.

Poor guy logs in for 2 mins, first time in months, gets nice calendar. Eyebrows raised. Quick check on forums to see if there’s anything else.

Discovers there’s an Eternity of Pain on, and that some random guy called Morpheus is waging war on him.

Logs out, goes back to watching Netflix.
    Missed my point completely, but thanks. LOL
  • The issue people are having, is that they think people who stopped playing are being treated better. This is not the case and is ridiculous. For one, if the person deleted the game, then they won't know about this unless for some reason their on the forums, still talking to people from the game, or decided to randomly install it. Depending on how long they deleted it, you most likely got more items than the calander gave then.

Let's say they didn't uninstall it, well if they have notifications on then they'll see they got a message from MCOC prob about a special gift or whatever. Cool. Once again, depending on how long they were gone, you more than likely got more resources than them through that period.

This is is am offer to entice someone to come back playing. Now a reward for stopping to play. The only concern I have is thay if OP really was only off the account for a week, then that's too short of a period of time and it needs to be longer for a package like that. Other than that though. These people miss out on other events, resources, hell even comp packages. But this isn't a game breaking offer to people and it is not them being treated better than players. This is a classic marketing strategy.
    Rillian said:

Rillian said:

DNA3000 said:

I do.

It doesn’t really improve one player over another if the one player who is being improved doesn’t even realise you are competing with him.

Poor guy logs in for 2 mins, first time in months, gets nice calendar. Eyebrows raised. Quick check on forums to see if there’s anything else.

Discovers there’s an Eternity of Pain on, and that some random guy called Morpheus is waging war on him.

I’ll engage with your point then.

How is someone who has basically forgotten about the game competing with you in war, AQ, or battlegrounds?
    How can someone have basically forgotten about the game when they have the app installed on their device and have opened it up to play? As for what types of events they play, how would I know?

Anyway, again, that wasn't my point. The point was fairness and the way it makes some players feel, due it being a competitive game with some players getting rewards for nothing and not others.

It's getting a bit monotonous now this, I'm saying the same thing repeatedly in different ways. No hard feelings but I'm going to move on to a different subject :)
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Rillian said:

Rillian said:

DNA3000 said:

I do.

I’ll engage with your point then.

How is someone who has basically forgotten about the game competing with you in war, AQ, or battlegrounds?
    How can someone have basically forgotten about the game when they have the app installed on their device and have opened it up to play?
    These calendars are not designed for players who play every day, log in to do everything. They are already playing, they don’t need enticement.

They are for players who don’t play very much, lot in every so often just to see what’s going on. The calendar is interesting and provides a reason to keep logging in, once they’re in, maybe they’ll play a few fights. Maybe they enjoy the event, maybe they rank up a new champ. Then they’re playing like normal again.
  • CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    So after giving the calendar to innactive people or people who dont even bother doing content or progressing..
    This pops up...
    .. yeah no thanks
  • RealWizardRealWizard Posts: 91
    Are players below thronebreaker not getting this?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★

As the in-game message tied to this calendar said, this is to help Summoners push further or to re-engage with content that they may have been having trouble with.

As you all know, from time to time, we will make different offers available to different players at different times, and have done the same for Gifts.

While we’ve never done anything like this with a Calendar before, we felt that this would be a good time to give this a try.

These kinds of campaigns are industry standard, and our goal here is to re-engage Summoners that haven’t been active in the Battlerealm lately and to bring them back into the Contest.

We hope this extra insight will lend some understanding to why we run these offers and gifts from time to time, and what their intent is.

Should find more ways to reward those with caleneders like this when people are committed and login daily despite content gaps, despite game issues, despite a lot of stuff would be nice to get a random calendar equivalent if not better. There’s no harm when people who don’t play get this for logging back in.
    I'm quite positive they reward people that play regularly in spades more than this incentive. Despite the discontent people feel and the ongoing issues.
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,995 ★★★★★

CRYO_88 said:

This feels like kabam spitting in the face of daily players saying your loyalty is meaningless to them

This might be the most dramatic post I’ve ever seen. Spitting in the face? Is that what Thronebreakers claim instead of slapping in the face? Seriously that’s such an over the top way to describe a game.

Firstly, the calendar is not that good. For a thronebreaker player, 1 6* can be achieved 2 or 3 times a month across the game at least. So essentially once every two weeks or less.

Secondly, people are acting like these calendars are guaranteed if you don’t play for a week so somehow it’s unfair on people who actually play the game. That is really not the case, I have 5 or 6 accounts on different emails that I don’t play at all anymore, some I started and never finished, some to grind units on. None of them got it, so it’s definitely not guaranteed.

Are you going to log out for a week to try and get it? No? Then maybe you’re just jealous that others get rewards and you don’t. You’re forgetting that this is a normal thing that happens in the game, and MCOC needs players to thrive. I don’t care if these calendars are sent out, if they keep people playing then I’m fine with it! And if those rewards are in line with what you can typically earn, then I’m fine with that too! A week not logging in, then a week logging in means you could only do that twice a month at max and that’s assuming the calendar is even repeatable.

If you have to choose between 2 6* crystals and a small amount of cats, or a full month playing the game, which are you choosing? If you choose the 2 6* crystals you really don’t know how many rewards you get from playing.

Not to mention that you could spend 6 months (the amount of time since I’ve logged into my accounts) not logging in trying to exploit this, and just not get a calendar. Wasting your time and realising it’s better to just play the game.

Take a step back and realise that you’ve described a free calendar for a small amount of people, that cannot be guaranteed by logging out for a week, that has less rewards you can get by playing the game as being spat in your face.
    You really are confusing the word Jealousy with Candor and Integrity.

It's not the end of the world, and your over exaggeration of how dramatic the post you quoted is, doesn't stray too far from the truth.

However, whichever words or way you wish to describe this situation, the fact of the matter is it has upset / annoyed many players of the game. As this is a forum for players to contribute and share their thoughts, I don't see how anyone can come on here and tell people that the way they are feeling is wrong. And that feeling stems purely from the way this has been implemented, communicated, and quite frankly defies logic that people are getting a good set of rewards for doing nothing.
    Anyone can come and say how they feel about something, but everyone else is equally able to call that out. This isn't a protection bubble where everyone can say anything they like and nobody is allowed to be challenged. This is the point of the forum.

I think Cryo used some pretty over the top language to describe someone else getting a calendar. Spitting in someone's face is clearly a disgusting thing to do, yet he thinks it's a good way to describe someone else getting something that he can get by working a week or two in the game. I strongly disagree with both his sentiment, and the way he expressed it.

Cryo feels that not getting a free calendar used to entice others back to play is kabam spitting in their face.

I feel that is an over the top way to describe something that really doesn't affect you, unless you look at it from a jealous point of view.

You feel that I shouldn't be allowed to tell Cryo that he is wrong for feeling that way.

So how is it that you and Cryo are both ok in saying how you feel about something, but because I'm of a different opinion than Cryo, it's not ok for me to say what I think, but you're ok to tell me I'm wrong? No, Cryo is perfectly entitled to express his feelings within the forum rules, and I am perfectly entitled to tell him that was an over the top way to describe it, and his reaction to this calendar wasn't reasonable. You can disagree with that and provide your viewpoint, and I can respond to that, so on and so forth that's what the forum is for.

For what it's worth, I don't believe I was telling him that his feeling was "wrong", what I was explaining in my post was why I believe it's not a reasonable way to feel, and why it's a reasonable thing for Kabam to do. Which exact part was I telling him his feeling is wrong? All I did was provide a different opinion and a different viewpoint. If you think I shouldn't be able to do that, then I don't think you quite get the point of this forum.

You say "I don't see how anyone can come on here and tell people that the way they are feeling is wrong." But would you argue that if someone said "I feel like it's stupid that Cavalier players don't get more rewards than Paragon, because we're missing out on EoP" that opinion is "right"? I mean, by what you said, nobody would be able to tell them that feeling is wrong.

I can't tell someone that they don't feel a certain way. I would believe that this hypothetical player felt the way they did, but I would tell that person that the way the feel isn't a reasonable way to feel.

I believe Cryo feels like Kabam spat in his face. I can't tell him he doesn't feel that way, but what I can do, is tell that him that the way he feels isn't a reasonable way to feel.
    Feelings and opinions are 2 different things.
    Agreed, and both can be unreasonable.
    Do you honestly think it is unreasonable for a player to feel resentment towards Kabam regarding this topic?

I completely understand the business model of enticing players back and the benefits it can have for login quota’s. It’s a business and the plan is to work to their advantage overall in the long run. What I genuinely don’t believe is that anyone without an invested interest, like Kabam, could look upon this practice and call it fair or reasonable.

If you read between the lines, maybe you’ll understand what I’m saying.
    Yes I do think it's unreasonable. For the following reasons (some I have already stated):
    - The calendar is not guaranteed by stopping for a week, and hence not exploitable.
    - The calendar gives no rewards that cannot be grinded out in 2 weeks of gameplay
    - Calendars for less active players are nothing new, as DNA points out.
    - As a player of the game you have to accept that sometimes, people will get things for free to entice them. They only get these things when they don't play, hence missing out on resources. At minimum in this thread, someone went a week before getting it. But at maximum, I have an account going 6 months without it. That's a lot of rewards they don't get
    - Are the resources in the calendar more than what they can gain by playing? No, so these players cannot get ahead by this calendar. Either they quit, and the rewards are nothing, or they carry on, in which case they are the same as, or worse than before they missed out on rewards. It makes no difference to any other player except for jealousy.
    - Anything that benefits the game and makes it last longer essentially benefits me, because I can play the game. More players = more players spending/playing = better game
    - The playing fields aren't and never will be equal in this game. Some get better gifts, some get better offers, now they're trying with calendars. You make your peace with it because it really doesn't affect you and you can be happy for someone else, or you suffer moral outrage at the fact someone gets something you don't.

All that compared with:
    -It feels bad that someone gets something that I don't get

All arguments in this thread against the calendar have been based on feeling. Nothing about game balance or anything factual, just "I would like to have this". And of course, feelings are valid, nobody is wrong or unreasonable for feeling like you would like to have that. I had the same feeling when I saw it, it's why I logged into my other accounts. But really, what would be reasonable in my view is to go "Ok, ah well" and move on with my day. Not see a games company who made a relatively inconsequential calendar for some players who play irregularly and will have no impact on me and say they are spitting in my face.
    What event you doing that gives out those rewards in two weeks?
    The calendar gives:

3 t2a
    3 t4cc
    1 t5b
    2,000 6* shards
    1 fully formed 6* crystal

You have to log in 7 times over at least 54 days (based on the timer in the picture) to claim those rewards. So no matter how short the timer is on how long you have to be gone to trigger this calendar, it looks like it can’t happen more than once every two months.

As for whether these rewards are attainable in that same period of time, a Thronebreaker player should be acquiring at least those catalysts on a weekly basis from AQ, probably more. I usually can’t spend t2a fast enough and always end up with some in my overflow. I hit 0 t5b this morning during the level up event. I’ve almost formed 1 full already from various other in game activities, and I haven’t even collected AQ rewards yet.

The shards are the area that are harder to calculate. But I could go and knock out the weekly Battlegrounds challenge, collect that currency, spend it on 6* shards, and call it a day. Or I could include the shards I got from AW season payout earlier this week. Or there’s the monthly EQ that I haven’t gotten around to working on exploration of yet.

This game throws resources at Thronebreaker and up through content, it’s just that we consume those resources so rapidly that we’re always hungry for more. So a single 6* or a handful of catalysts looks great because we want it, but in the grand scheme of things we also won’t notice it missing unless it’s highlighted like this.

As the in-game message tied to this calendar said, this is to help Summoners push further or to re-engage with content that they may have been having trouble with.

As you all know, from time to time, we will make different offers available to different players at different times, and have done the same for Gifts.

While we’ve never done anything like this with a Calendar before, we felt that this would be a good time to give this a try.

These kinds of campaigns are industry standard, and our goal here is to re-engage Summoners that haven’t been active in the Battlerealm lately and to bring them back into the Contest.

We hope this extra insight will lend some understanding to why we run these offers and gifts from time to time, and what their intent is.

Should find more ways to reward those with caleneders like this when people are committed and login daily despite content gaps, despite game issues, despite a lot of stuff would be nice to get a random calendar equivalent if not better. There’s no harm when people who don’t play get this for logging back in.
    I'm quite positive they reward people that play regularly in spades more than this incentive. Despite the discontent people feel and the ongoing issues.
    That guys calendar is worth more than this month and last months SQ if you were unlucky. All for not playing lol. Random calendars for the people who are constantly playing and spending money etc despite everything would be just something kind to do if people who don’t play are gonna get that.
    You're comparing one month's SQ Rewards with the absence of months and months of game play.

That guys calendar is worth more than this month and last months SQ if you were unlucky. All for not playing lol. Random calendars for the people who are constantly playing and spending money etc despite everything would be just something kind to do if people who don’t play are gonna get that.
    You're comparing one month's SQ Rewards with the absence of months and months of game play.
    I’m saying committed players continue to play through multiple months of poor rewards etc, and someone comes back to the game and they’re given a random blessing for not playing. People who come back sure give them a calendar, people who play constantly should also get something more than a whopping cav crystal every 2 weeks or so most likely just being a 3 star. The monthly login also doesn’t compare if we wanna talk about that
    We get a login every month. We have gotten MONTHS of Compensation for ongoing issues. We get occasional freebies. We get the Rewards we earn on a regular basis. We get the opportunity to interact with the game team, and even though we don't get EVERYTHING we want, we get the chance to have our feedback heard and sometimes implemented. I could really go on and on, and regardless of who disagrees, you get more for playing than waiting for a gift.
  • The main point of the story is Kabam wants to quit the game and return every 6months for a week or two.....thats how you get better rewards and not by daily playing or supporting the game even when it is full of bugs.....WE ATLEAST WANT THIS YEARS SUMMONER APPRECIATION BY A CALENDER WAY AND NOT BY ANY OTHER MEANS......KABAM ITS MY REQUEST....PLEASE WHILE GIVING THE SUMMONER APPRECIATION CALENDER DONT THINK ABOUT YOUR MONETARY GAIN....

You'll get more rewards by playing the game rather than just waiting for the calander
  • The main point of the story is Kabam wants to quit the game and return every 6months for a week or two.....thats how you get better rewards and not by daily playing or supporting the game even when it is full of bugs.....WE ATLEAST WANT THIS YEARS SUMMONER APPRECIATION BY A CALENDER WAY AND NOT BY ANY OTHER MEANS......KABAM ITS MY REQUEST....PLEASE WHILE GIVING THE SUMMONER APPRECIATION CALENDER DONT THINK ABOUT YOUR MONETARY GAIN....

You'll get more rewards by playing the game rather than just waiting for the calander
    That calendar is worth more than last two months of SQ and even worth more than this entire month of rewards lmao. If you don’t think that those are constantly playing should get incentives like this at times then you’re on something
    You're acting like people who don't play this game get incentives. You're acting like a spoiled child honestly. They get a week of rewards for a brand new system they are trying while we get consistent inflow of resources by playing. I open about 2 - 3 6*s a month on a regular basis as well as easily get those other rewards just by playing the game. It ain't that serious and the rewards are ok.
  • ProfessorGProfessorG Posts: 73
    The root issue of this whole calendar discussion from Kabam’s perspective: Is Contest of Champions better or worse with more active players in the game?

Obviously the answer is better for a litany of obvious reasons. The argument not being made however is how this is actually better for the entire player base as well. More active players (especially players that are not uber competitive thereby not grinding or even logging in everyday hence get this calendar) actually help out the average player far more than if they just didn’t play the game at all. We all love going against lowly ranked players in battleground. Any boost to arena rankings is greatly appreciated and of course, more people that struggle with different areas of the game gives Kabam more reason to incentivize/reward to aid in completion. Thereby more people playing regardless of skill level and commitment level is truly a win win for all with a vested interest in this game.

The longevity of this game is dependent on an active player base. We should all be applauding Kabam for actions like this calendar and hope they continue to have more ideas to reinvigorate the player base as anyone that has played the game for the last years has most likely had many frustrating moments that could have led to their eventual inactivity.

Please tell the team thank you @Kabam Miike!

Now it’s time for something completely different, for those of us that have been TB since the game issues started, will we be compensated the same as the recently minted Paragon players. If you could please tell us if Paragon is having its own compensation package that could at least help some know how hard they need to push and could at least give us some time to let our saltiness out as being TB for over a year and having all of these issues should merit the same compensation level as those who just became Paragon. Especially those TB with 2 rank 4s and close to a third. 😉

The main point of the story is Kabam wants to quit the game and return every 6months for a week or two.....thats how you get better rewards and not by daily playing or supporting the game even when it is full of bugs.....WE ATLEAST WANT THIS YEARS SUMMONER APPRECIATION BY A CALENDER WAY AND NOT BY ANY OTHER MEANS......KABAM ITS MY REQUEST....PLEASE WHILE GIVING THE SUMMONER APPRECIATION CALENDER DONT THINK ABOUT YOUR MONETARY GAIN....

That calendar is worth more than last two months of SQ and even worth more than this entire month of rewards lmao. If you don’t think that those are constantly playing should get incentives like this at times then you’re on something
    You're acting like people who don't play this game get incentives. You're acting like a spoiled child honestly. They get a week of rewards for a brand new system they are trying while we get consistent inflow of resources by playing. I open about 2 - 3 6*s a month on a regular basis as well as easily get those other rewards just by playing the game. It ain't that serious and the rewards are ok.
    Do you even play the game or are you Kabams employee ?

I'd like to direct you to my recent post of my carina challenge pull. Def play the game and not an employee. I can disagree with people being upset about this without being on their payroll.