Dr. Strange now is the time

DarthVadidDarthVadid Member Posts: 407 ★★★
edited September 2022 in Suggestions and Requests
With the introduction of 6* Scarlet Witch it has me reminiscing about the golden era of MCOC. This was before the dark times before 12.0. Now is the time to make Dr. STRANGE the Sorcerer Supreme. It’s long over due and he needs buffed with out losing his base kit especially his sig ability. He was my first R3 six star and I have been waiting for the buff eagerly. I’m afraid with all these synergies Kabam thinks that will be enough. No sir he needs buffed!
Post edited by Kabam Valkyrie on

Comments

• Carnage313Carnage313 Member Posts: 359 ★★★
    Amen
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,302 Guardian
    Jaded said:

Don’t expect it, he should never have been nerfed out of all those OP champions. Now if kabam buffs him that make them look “wrong”.

Just like they should remove star lords limit or make og bw 100% aar. But if they do that, that would be them admitting something they didn’t want to back then.

This is a really weird take. Especially as Kabam as reversed all sorts of things over time as the game environment has changed. 12.0 wasn't even on everyone's phones before they reversed Parry's inclusion in DR. They partially reversed the hack job they did on Dr. Strange's healing in 12.0 as well (granted, it was still low, but it was far higher than they originally cut it). And they did go back and remove the non-stacking of Thor's armor breaks (even if they kept the stacking limit very low).

Dr. Strange was actually almost as much a victim of the weird armor break mechanics that existed before 12.0 as OG Thor. There was nothing wrong with OG Thor in terms of his intrinsic abilities per se: the problem was he stacked armor breaks, and in 11.x and earlier armor breaks stacked multiplicatively. In other words, each armor break doubled (more or less) the damage that Thor could do. Six armor breaks from Thor wasn't seven times more damage, it was sixty-four times more damage, which was ludicrous. However, that was less Thor's armor break strength, and more armor break mechanics. Once those mechanics were changed in 12.0, Thor was far less powerful. Hitting him on top of that was the devs being overcautious.

Less often discussed is that Dr. Strange also suffered from looking ridiculous due to the old armor break mechanics. He could also stack armor breaks although less so than Thor. But Dr. Strange could do something Thor couldn't: heal via life transfer. The higher his damage, the more healing he got. So if you played Strange correctly, you could stack armor breaks and then land huge specials while in healing phase and basically heal to full in one SP2.

A lot of this was due to the absurd armor break stacking that was only possible in 11.x and earlier. Had they not touched Strange at all, his damage and healing would have still been substantially reduced, but at the time he would have still been absurdly powerful compared to contemporary champions of the day. In my opinion he was hit too hard, but he was going to get hit no matter what.

Today, less so. But while he's no longer in danger of being absurdly powerful if buffed, he's also not the most in need of a buff. I would expect, however, if he was specifically targeted for review, he'd probably be balanced upward a bit.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,362 Guardian
    Jaded said:

Just like they should remove star lords limit

Are there really any fights in the contest where Star Lord can get over 400 hits as a r3 6*? My r3 6* sig 20 SL killed LoL Star Lord in a mere 260 hits. While I would love to see his damage at 400+ hits, it really would be redundant since you pretty much will never hit 400+ hits in the contest without nerfing his attack gain.

• JadedJaded Member Posts: 5,477 ★★★★★
    Pikolu said:

Jaded said:

Just like they should remove star lords limit

Are there really any fights in the contest where Star Lord can get over 400 hits as a r3 6*? My r3 6* sig 20 SL killed LoL Star Lord in a mere 260 hits. While I would love to see his damage at 400+ hits, it really would be redundant since you pretty much will never hit 400+ hits in the contest without nerfing his attack gain.

A 5* or a 4*? The limit was made before 6* were in the game so there was definitely content where he would Go over 400 hits. Rol Wolverine was a big one back then and LoL. Agreed seems redundant now from either standpoint but they won’t remove the limit.
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Member Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

Jaded said:

Don’t expect it, he should never have been nerfed out of all those OP champions. Now if kabam buffs him that make them look “wrong”.

Just like they should remove star lords limit or make og bw 100% aar. But if they do that, that would be them admitting something they didn’t want to back then.

This is a really weird take. Especially as Kabam as reversed all sorts of things over time as the game environment has changed. 12.0 wasn't even on everyone's phones before they reversed Parry's inclusion in DR. They partially reversed the hack job they did on Dr. Strange's healing in 12.0 as well (granted, it was still low, but it was far higher than they originally cut it). And they did go back and remove the non-stacking of Thor's armor breaks (even if they kept the stacking limit very low).

Dr. Strange was actually almost as much a victim of the weird armor break mechanics that existed before 12.0 as OG Thor. There was nothing wrong with OG Thor in terms of his intrinsic abilities per se: the problem was he stacked armor breaks, and in 11.x and earlier armor breaks stacked multiplicatively. In other words, each armor break doubled (more or less) the damage that Thor could do. Six armor breaks from Thor wasn't seven times more damage, it was sixty-four times more damage, which was ludicrous. However, that was less Thor's armor break strength, and more armor break mechanics. Once those mechanics were changed in 12.0, Thor was far less powerful. Hitting him on top of that was the devs being overcautious.

Less often discussed is that Dr. Strange also suffered from looking ridiculous due to the old armor break mechanics. He could also stack armor breaks although less so than Thor. But Dr. Strange could do something Thor couldn't: heal via life transfer. The higher his damage, the more healing he got. So if you played Strange correctly, you could stack armor breaks and then land huge specials while in healing phase and basically heal to full in one SP2.

A lot of this was due to the absurd armor break stacking that was only possible in 11.x and earlier. Had they not touched Strange at all, his damage and healing would have still been substantially reduced, but at the time he would have still been absurdly powerful compared to contemporary champions of the day. In my opinion he was hit too hard, but he was going to get hit no matter what.

Today, less so. But while he's no longer in danger of being absurdly powerful if buffed, he's also not the most in need of a buff. I would expect, however, if he was specifically targeted for review, he'd probably be balanced upward a bit.
    Strange was butchered. The half-assed job they did to remediate him seems like a token effort at best. The key to your paragraph is “if you played Strange correctly”…what his kit rewarded was skillful timing, and even so that kit was a shadow of some of the kits today.

I’ve resigned myself to the reality that most of the OG champs have been abandoned by the team. Doc doesn’t make money, ergo effort on him would be wasted. That’s a shame, but hoping for him to become relevant again is hoping in vain.

Dr. Zola
    Dang it, now I'm going to have to clear my calendar to have time to read the response. And I agree with your take.
    Dr. Strange was done dirty. I just watched the deep dive for Infamous Iron Man and the entire time I was just thinking... daaaaang this dude does everything - literally everything. And at the same time, I was thinking, sure seems odd that they release champs like this, but don't just go back and restore the OG champs to what they used to be (or even like 75% of their previous power). I mean, Thor, Strange and Switch don't even have any immunities. They hit like trucks, but that only gets you so far... plus we have champs like Quick Silver that erase health pools in seconds after the build up and has a ton of utility too.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Member Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    Dr Strange just got a pretty impactful synergy. Not saying it's going to make him great but it's a positive sign that he's not being ignored entirely.
  • Total_Domin01Total_Domin01 Member Posts: 1,015 ★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

Dr Strange just got a pretty impactful synergy. Not saying it's going to make him great but it's a positive sign that he's not being ignored entirely.

The thing is, people don’t want synergy buffs. When they happen, it means you lose a slot in your champion team (even if that person is particularly good). They want full buffs where they need nobody for
  • World EaterWorld Eater Member Posts: 3,694 ★★★★★
    Considering his power gain phase is now a passive instead of a buff, he just got worse if this was an intended change.

• K00shMaanK00shMaan Member Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    https://youtu.be/924RCfKu4_s

This video is from the July update and it was a Buff then.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Member Posts: 3,694 ★★★★★
    Looks like you’re right @K00shMaan . The buff looks different now but I was definitely mistaken. Thanks
  • ZAHIDMALIK1588ZAHIDMALIK1588 Member Posts: 624 ★★
    Kabam! if you buff Dr. Strange, I promise, I won't be judgmental.
    Ref: @Jaded
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Member Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Considering his power gain phase is now a passive instead of a buff, he just got worse if this was an intended change.

It is a buff though?
  • DarthVadidDarthVadid Member Posts: 407 ★★★
    Pre 12.0 good damage
    https://youtu.be/5LTR_Ns4h1o
    Pre 12.0 was end game content killer
    https://youtu.be/az0P_34IuaA
    Leadership synergy always perfect block.
    https://youtu.be/LGwU3dTFS8c