**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why Gold Offers Would Have Been A Horrible Idea

Comments

• Options
    DragonfeiDragonfei Posts: 260 ★★

Dragonfei said:

Dragonfei said:

So because you don't have enough gold it means it would have been a horrible idea for Kabam to make the offer?

If that is what you took away from the post, good samaritan, I am afraid I cannot help you. On your way.
    I understand the motivation behind your post but the crux of your position is that because it would take up a lot of gold (in an environment where gold is scarce for players like yourself) it's a bad idea to even *offer* the deal. There are people with hundreds of millions of gold. And some with 10 or 20M gold. The point is there are plenty of players of all sorts that have excess gold and you're saying they shouldn't even be allowed to make a decision on how to use it themselves.
    That's nice! Offers can't be made for the minority that would severely impact and hurt the majority! Not how it works!
    How is making an offer that is 100% optional to choose to purchase severely impacting/hurting anyone? When they make a unit deal for 5,000 units does it hurt the majority of the players because they don't have 5,000 units lying around?
    It's called FOMO and "Players have no ability to control themselves sometimes so game design has to do it for them".

Yes, players should be allowed to make bad decisions. But SOMETIMES, game design needs to do that for them.
  • Options
    Ken1378 said:

Love the stats, but I don’t see how you really closed out your argument.

Is $2.5-4 million gold a month good? Is it hard to do? We can each do the math to figure out what that buys for rank-ups, but is that a reasonable amount of rank-ups? And does a normal person collect enough catalysts to even complete that many rank-ups each month?

Selling ISO is a horrible value, why? No mention of how much ISO a person in earns each month or how that relates to the rank-ups a person would like to complete. There is also no argument for why $10MM gold is more useful for rank-ups/level-ups than being spent on the rank-up gem and crystals last year.

Sorry, just didn’t do it for me. But in your defence, it is a very difficult balance to fully analyze.

Full disclosure, I have about 23 million gold, so I am biased in that I would have loved to see gold offers. But I also realize gold doesn’t come easy. I sell 99.9% of my basic ISO and I buy the Sigil most months. Very little arena grinding, though.

Gold gain: Whether it's good or not doesn't matter. It's not enough to keep up with rank up materials and shards you receive. That's the point. As for whether it's a reasonable amount of rank ups, and how many catalysts someone acquires - that's on them. I can only point to the math and say gold is a far more valuable resource right now, because it is to many.

Selling ISO is a horrible value, because if you look at the figures of ISO spend I provide - a great deal of it is required to rank up champions, and if you don't want to spend more gold, then you need to spend the same class ISO. The gold gain you'd get in return is not worth what you'd sell it for. I thought that was self-explanatory, but. That's why it's bad.

If the post didn't do it for you, I do suggest a re-read, since it seems like I'm re-iterating most of my points.
  • Options
    All right, I'm off and back to work darlings! Have fun! <3
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    edited October 2022
    So it would have been a bad idea cause a lot of people complain about the shortage of gold?..
    What about the grinders who hold 50+ million.... Yeah terrible idea...
    It comes down to resource management and a lot of players do it very poorly...
    If u had 10 million gold exactly last year.. bought every offer and didn't have the resources to rank up or level up thats on you...
    As someone else said.. or gave an example of.. it was a terrible idea then to put up offers for 99.99 dollars 3x.. cause i might have to pay rent?... My phone bill?...
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    Iso and gold are a problem... 🤣 Please...
    Its called resource management

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,690 Guardian
    Ken1378 said:

Is $2.5-4 million gold a month good? Is it hard to do? We can each do the math to figure out what that buys for rank-ups, but is that a reasonable amount of rank-ups? And does a normal person collect enough catalysts to even complete that many rank-ups each month?

This sounds like a math question, but it is actually a psychology question in disguise. Two things that make the math almost irrelevant.

1. Like you say, how much rank ups does 5 million gold allow for? Most players don't know, and won't calculate. They will rely upon experiential intuition. In other words, they will guess. Most players do not, and cannot quantitatively budget for this, and thus cannot actually make a decision based on the objective data.

2. Because of this it doesn't matter what that rate is. What does matter is, what ever it is, it won't be enough. Because most players will judge this "by feel" they will use subjective gauges of whether or not they are leveling "fast enough." And the problem with all subjective evaluations involving rates and significant amounts of time is that people becomes attuned to them. Every rate that seems fast or even adequate will seem subjectively slower over time. So no roster progressional rate will seem subjectively reasonable indefinitely. The subjective evaluation will then climb up the ladder from "my rank up rate is sad" to "there's a gold problem" for most players that have gold as a bottleneck irrespective of the numbers. The subjective psychology of the situation will mean whatever was adequate today will be inadequate tomorrow.

Throwing gold offers into the game will be throwing gasoline into a fire for this specific range of players, in a way that has no similar analog for other kinds of offers. For example, there are no cash offers that will improve your short term game experience at the expense of your long term game experience. The kinds of choices the game presents that offer this sort of choice are extremely limited in scope and context.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,690 Guardian
    D0ctor_S said:

The other matter is removing something that all players could participate in and replacing it with nothing. If it was removed on the basis of it being detrimental to the player, communicating that and replacing it with something (arena, solo event or something else) would have been a better move.

Could all players participate? I think it is unlikely that a majority of players had the gold reserves to buy the gold offers last year. Saying everyone *could* participate is like saying everyone *could* buy the Deadpool crystals this year. Both are open to all players, but I doubt more than a small fraction of players participated in either one.
  • Options
    D0ctor_SD0ctor_S Posts: 42
    edited October 2022
    DNA3000 said:

D0ctor_S said:

The other matter is removing something that all players could participate in and replacing it with nothing. If it was removed on the basis of it being detrimental to the player, communicating that and replacing it with something (arena, solo event or something else) would have been a better move.

Could all players participate? I think it is unlikely that a majority of players had the gold reserves to buy the gold offers last year. Saying everyone *could* participate is like saying everyone *could* buy the Deadpool crystals this year. Both are open to all players, but I doubt more than a small fraction of players participated in either one.
    I could have been clearer but I disagree with comparing spending cash to spending in-game currency. Spending is not an option for all players whilst the in-game currency can be farmed by all.

The resource cost last year may have limited the number of participants but I'd wager that there were more players engaged with the event than this year. Whilst if the event had been a repeat I'd argue that there would have been an increase in engagement based on the expectation and time available to farm in game resources.

I understand the issues that you and Dragonfei have raised but the way it's been framed (along with the spending comparison) makes it seem like the gold shortage is something beyond Kabam's control.

They could up the participation and negate gold flow issues by offering the gold deals along with a way to get the gold to afford it during the event. If the player doesn't want to grind they could taylor the unit deals to that.

The added bonus of that is having something a player can interact with whilst also making the event somewhat unique. Maybe have DotD as a gold event, Chinese New Year loyalty etc.

This event didn't offer that and just came off as a unit sale which I think risks player burnout and disenfranchisement by repeating the same thing with no variation. There's also the matter of some reverse price anchoring as it doesn't compare favourably to Cyber Weekend and it's far to close too it to stand on its own as just a unit sale.
  • Options
    ZolobacsiZolobacsi Posts: 91
    Many were saving for a long time exactly for this event. I could have easily put down the 10 mill gold without selling any resources. Ranking up a 6* only cost that much if you have one that is worth ranking up. Not to mention catalysts. You can have the gold if you don't have the catalysts to go higher rank with the few that deservs it and I won't waste resources on champs which I would never use even if it would be rank4. The last 3 months and this one too were so boring in every way, this would have at least improved the moral a bit. Nothing to looking forward in the game at the moment. No interesting EQ or SQ, rewards are meh, gifting cancelled, just a bunch of horrible unit deals each months.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    Therein lies the problem. People assume it will return and start building the expectation and preparing for it. We saw the same thing with the Gem Trade. The issue isn't that people enjoyed it, it was that there was no guarantee those things would return. It's more than jumping the gun. It's jumping the cannon.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    The OP has a point. This wasn't your average Unit Crystal Deal, or selling some ISO. It was some pretty significant Rewards for the most farmable Resource in the game. That encouraged people to spend as much as they could, and that left quite a time to replenish. I went through quite a bit of my reserves myself, and it took time to make some back while the usual costs came up. That's a pretty significant imbalance, and they no doubt had the data after that, and saw that it affected the economy.
  • Options
    GhostboytjieGhostboytjie Posts: 2,209 ★★★★★
    I grinded enough to have enough for offers. Didnt come so I took shang from r1 to r3 and ultron from r1 to r2 and a few champs here and there. I got like 2.3m left but no iso :( I wanna r3 ultron
  • Options
    Jeal79Jeal79 Posts: 443 ★★★
    There's a large pool of people with high gold balances who most likely...
    a) are more selective over who they rank
    b) aren't sitting on a huge pile of t3a's & t6b's

9x R4 champs you say? So that's like 27x t3a/t6b consumed? I should be so lucky.