**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

battleground matchup engine

Who at kabam thinks I enjoy starting a matchup and realizing even before I ban a champion that I'm going to lose no matter what I do?

Remember spreadsheet wars? This is worse. Awful. When you have no shot, zero chance, at winning, it's not fun and it's not worth playing.

Let's compare my profile with my last four opponents. Which one of these things is not like the other?

Who at kabam thinks this is either fair or fun for players?

Comments

• Options
    Captain_KatyCaptain_Katy Posts: 73
    Bad load. try again.

• Options
    There are 25 matchups in my history I can currently view. Five (5) of them, my opponent's prestige is within 1,00 points of mine. Twenty (20) of them, my opponent's prestige is anywhere between 1,000 and 4,000 greater than mine.
  • Options
    mmmbanyas said:

So you think you should climb the leaderboard and get top tier rewards for facing mid tier opponents? This is the only way they can do matchmaking, by matching you with people in your same ranked bracket. Give it time and most of the bigger accounts will be above you, but that’s still not a guarantee.

No, I don't think i should climb the leaderboard and get top tier rewards.

I don't think I should be matched up with people who have rosters more suited for climbing the leaderboard and earning top tier rewards.

You think someone with a 15k+ roster is earning a top tier reward by beating someone with only three duped r3s in their roster? That's how to qualify for the top tier? How about beating other top tier accounts to prove you deserve top tier rewards?

Let me and the other noobs battle it out in matchups that are actually fair. Tired of just wondering if I'll time out or not each fight. Would rather have, you know, a fighting chance.

• Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★

There are 25 matchups in my history I can currently view. Five (5) of them, my opponent's prestige is within 1,00 points of mine. Twenty (20) of them, my opponent's prestige is anywhere between 1,000 and 4,000 greater than mine.

We are all competing for the same rewards why in the world should prestige matter for matchups? The answer is, it shouldn't.
  • Options

We are all competing for the same rewards why in the world should prestige matter for matchups? The answer is, it shouldn't.

It's more accurate than whatever system is currently in place. Call me crazy, but I'm just going to assume that your roster of 30 is primarily populated by the heroes you have spent resources ranking up; the top of your roster. Sure with an exception or two for utility or defense or whatever.

Kabam has created a number to help determine the power of the top of your roster -- that's right, prestige.

If we have similar prestige, the top of our roster is similar. If you have 4,000 more prestige than me, you're bringing a gun to a knife fight.

20 of my last 25 battleground matchups have been exactly that.

It's like a high school basketball team playing in the NBA. How do you think that's going to go?
  • Options
    mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 1,005 ★★★★
    TL;DR scroll to the bottom....

In fairness, until fairly recently, maybe the last couple years, those high prestige champs were fairly useless.

I'm willing to bet you've never seen a Silver Surfer in someone's deck.

On the other hand, I wouldn't disagree with the idea of having brackets, but that comes with its own set of side effects.

First and foremost, the rewards would have to be adjusted for the bracket you're playing in. I'd bet my salary there would be outrage over how that got done. They would be too close to the top tiers, making those in the top tier riot, or too far from the top tier, making those in the lower tier riot.

Also, you have to know that folks would still be outraged by any bracketing system put in place.

Imagine they took overall summoner champ rating. A player who played from the beginning, who maybe has 30 4*r5, but then turned super casual, could be paired against a new player, who spends, and has an equal number of 6*r2, but hardly any 4*r5 champs. They would likely be close in overall rating.

TL;DR

This is likely as close to good as it will get. As you pointed out, at some point in the season, those with better rosters will move up and you won't face them anymore.

My advice, take the first two weeks of the season doing the minimum number of fights to claim the "Complete 3 matches" objective each time it pops up, then after brackets get more aligned with roster strength, start taking it more serious.
  • Options
    Dragoon81Dragoon81 Posts: 147 ★★
    It really comes down to a mode that pits everyone against everyone getting the same rewards is just wrong. You don’t see the same rewards in EQ events for each difficulty right? There should be different pools that you get entered into based on your current progression and then everyone in that pool is matched. Yeah some fully blown up Paragons will beat on new Paragons but you won’t see a Paragon matching a Throne Breaker.
  • Options
    Sadly I have an r3 silver -centurion-! and namor ... 'cause, yeah, I don't have the best crystal luck but they're "high" prestige for me. And neither go to battlegrounds.

A death match every handful, just to test and see if you have skills to play above your pay grade, YES! I would take that.

20 out of 25 times. I'm trotting out a 5* killmonger for your sig 20 r4 cgr. Meanwhile, I'm 100% going to time out to your r4 fury. Game over, no point in wasting the 15 minutes or the 15 energy.

That's not playing a game. That's not fun.
  • Options
    mgj0630mgj0630 Posts: 1,005 ★★★★
    Dragoon81 said:

It really comes down to a mode that pits everyone against everyone getting the same rewards is just wrong. You don’t see the same rewards in EQ events for each difficulty right? There should be different pools that you get entered into based on your current progression and then everyone in that pool is matched. Yeah some fully blown up Paragons will beat on new Paragons but you won’t see a Paragon matching a Throne Breaker.

Is that any part of you that thinks someone wouldn't intentionally sit at the very edge of Thronebreaker > Paragon, having an insanely dense 6*r3 roster, to manipulate that system?

Cause being completely honest, there isn't much in the way of content that's made significantly easier by having a 6*r4 vs a 6*r3.

I also think most Paragon players would agree thr game is still catching up to tailored Paragon rewards. EOP, and mega sale days come to mind, as well as daily and 4-hour crystals, but I think most everything else is capped at Thronebreaker as a tailored progression title.
  • Options
    Dragoon81Dragoon81 Posts: 147 ★★
    mgj0630 said:

Dragoon81 said:

Is that any part of you that thinks someone wouldn't intentionally sit at the very edge of Thronebreaker > Paragon, having an insanely dense 6*r3 roster, to manipulate that system?

Cause being completely honest, there isn't much in the way of content that's made significantly easier by having a 6*r4 vs a 6*r3.

I also think most Paragon players would agree thr game is still catching up to tailored Paragon rewards. EOP, and mega sale days come to mind, as well as daily and 4-hour crystals, but I think most everything else is capped at Thronebreaker as a tailored progression title.
    If the rewards (Amount of Trophies) is more for the Paragon pool other benefits of being paragon. I wouldn’t. Note I am also saying those in TB should not be getting as many Trophies as those in Paragon. That’s the main problem with this mode, top tier rewards and we are all being given the same rewards then we should all battle each other otherwise split it up.
  • Options
    Tx_Quack_Attack6589Tx_Quack_Attack6589 Posts: 611 ★★★
    You realize prestige is based on 5 champs, nothing about that determines a matchup fairness. I have a hearty account and I match people who dwarf mine but I compete and can win, I also match people with accounts like yours who I dwarf but they compete and come away winners sometimes.
  • Options
    InfamousMikeInfamousMike Posts: 70
    The Battle grounds are a VERY competitive game mode,
    If you match up with a big guy, quit and try again...
    So..stop crying..practice to don't be an one-armed :D
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    edited October 2022

It's more accurate than whatever system is currently in place. Call me crazy, but I'm just going to assume that your roster of 30 is primarily populated by the heroes you have spent resources ranking up; the top of your roster. Sure with an exception or two for utility or defense or whatever.

Kabam has created a number to help determine the power of the top of your roster -- that's right, prestige.

If we have similar prestige, the top of our roster is similar. If you have 4,000 more prestige than me, you're bringing a gun to a knife fight.

It's like a high school basketball team playing in the NBA. How do you think that's going to go?
    Should the best High school BB team get to play in the NBA Championship?
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

Should high school teams get to win the NBA CHampionship without playing NBA teams?
  • Options
    BigBuster said:

But the players on the high school basketball team shouldn't get paid as much as the NBA players, right? Why should you be getting the same rewards as a Paragon player if you are only Thronebreaker? If you are fighting for Paragon-level rewards, you will be fighting Paragon-level players. It's how any game like this works.
    They are in high school, they shouldn’t be paid to play period.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★

Should high school teams get to win the NBA CHampionship without playing NBA teams?
    This is literally the same argument I made...
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

This is literally the same argument I made...
    I like to think I was reinforcing your point lol. Actually I read carelessly. My bad.
  • Options
    I took about a week off of battlegrounds and barely play at all since the original post. My most recent matchups have felt way more in line with what/who I expect my opponent/competition to be. I don't know if that means there are similar accounts in my tier or if that means kabam is trying to balance the matchups better.

Some of you guys and your fixation on rewards, though. I am NOT competing with you. Shoot, I'm still in diamond something. I would LOVE to contribute to my alliance's progress in this 30-day alliance event. But I have zero (0) interest in battleground matchups that are an automatic loss before I even parry the first attack.

Kabam, if you do indeed understand the perspective of players in my situation and are working toward making battlegrounds a place where I can spend my energy and waste my time having a little fun with this game, thank you.

If it's just dumb luck that my matchups have gotten more "competitive," then I guess you can give kabam mike the credit ... in which case, thanks kabam mike.

Guess I'm still an addict.
  • Options
    Vergeman78Vergeman78 Posts: 132 ★★
    As time goes on, bigger accounts make it up the track and eventually to gladiator circuit. Therefor it’s easier to match to other non paragon accounts
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    Gah why won't NASCAR let me compete in their races with a Honda Civic.. so unfair