**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Battleground Matchmaking : Cry Babies

Dear all,

I see a lot of accounts crying about the matchmaking based on roster/deck and wanted it similar to AW.

In AW, the match making happens on rating and to some extent prestige, but they don’t happen based on SKILL level.

A cavalier/uncollected who has got the skill can beat a TB defenders ?

If the argument goes about match making vs progression levels, then does the cavaliers and uncollected don’t deserve a place in Gold 1/2/3 alliances and deserve only Bronze rewards ?

I see the argument and asking is totally baseless!!

Cheers
Vino

Comments

• Options
    VinodCherryVinodCherry Posts: 60
    That’s not fair! But if their deck is full of 4*, then it’s a skill level test ?
  • Options
    I agree mate! Missing 1* 2* with R3 isn’t the right strategy. But deck of 4* is skill based isn’t.

I think the argument about having the skill to defeat higher tier defenders is valid, but there’s an important counter to this I think is being missed. If a TB or paragon player loads their deck with 1 & 2 star champs in order to face lower tier opponents, how much skill is really involved on their part? While sure, UC and Cav players with enough skill can take down their opponent’s defenders, their defenders probably won’t stand much of a chance against the higher tier players’s attackers. As such, the chances of a lower tier player ultimately winning in a scenario like this are slim. For a mode that’s meant to reward skill, this type of strategy just takes advantage of the matchmaking process and removes part of the skill aspect as well, instead rewarding those who wish to avoid playing against others who are evenly matched.

• Options
    Read it mixing 1* n 2*s
  • Options

I agree mate! Missing 1* 2* with R3 isn’t the right strategy. But deck of 4* is skill based isn’t.

I think the argument about having the skill to defeat higher tier defenders is valid, but there’s an important counter to this I think is being missed. If a TB or paragon player loads their deck with 1 & 2 star champs in order to face lower tier opponents, how much skill is really involved on their part? While sure, UC and Cav players with enough skill can take down their opponent’s defenders, their defenders probably won’t stand much of a chance against the higher tier players’s attackers. As such, the chances of a lower tier player ultimately winning in a scenario like this are slim. For a mode that’s meant to reward skill, this type of strategy just takes advantage of the matchmaking process and removes part of the skill aspect as well, instead rewarding those who wish to avoid playing against others who are evenly matched.

Where is the argument of 4*s coming from?
  • Options
    InfamousMikeInfamousMike Posts: 69
    Cry babies.. :p
  • Options
    BazzingaaaBazzingaaa Posts: 357 ★★★
    FiiNCH said:

I'm uncollected with only 3 six star champions.
    You think it's fair for me to go up against TB players with rank 3 6* champs because half their deck is 2*?

If you’re both trying to get the same level of rewards then yeah.

If you want tiered match-ups you should get tiered rewards.
    That's the point though.
    We are not competing for the same rewards.
    6* shards are locked for me in the store.
    I can only get 5* because I'm uncollected.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★

FiiNCH said:

You think it's fair for me to go up against TB players with rank 3 6* champs because half their deck is 2*?

That's the point though.
    You can save battleground trophies so when you unlock higher progress in the store.
  • Options

Dear all,

I see a lot of accounts crying about the matchmaking based on roster/deck and wanted it similar to AW.

In AW, the match making happens on rating and to some extent prestige, but they don’t happen based on SKILL level.

A cavalier/uncollected who has got the skill can beat a TB defenders ?

If the argument goes about match making vs progression levels, then does the cavaliers and uncollected don’t deserve a place in Gold 1/2/3 alliances and deserve only Bronze rewards ?

I see the argument and asking is totally baseless!!

Cheers
    Vino

Firstly, AW matchmaking doesn’t take prestige into account, hence why the forum is littered with topics about unfair matches in AW.

The second thing that Kabam are currently struggling to do is to balance the competitive side of bg with making it a game mode that the average player can enjoy.

I don’t think that anyone should get a free ride based on their roster/deck, as it does defeat the purpose of the game mode. I’d say that 75%+ of the decks that I’m playing against are better than mine, at least in terms of quantity of R4s and higher sig R3s, so I take it as a compliment that I’m able to compete with these larger accounts and in many cases win.

I think that a reasonable compromise between keeping the mode appealing for the try-hards like me, and the casuals is to implement some form of seeding based on previous seasons, and to an extent in game progression:

S2 finish in the GC, irrelevant of title: Plat 3
    Paragon not in S2 GC: Gold 3
    TB not in S2 GC: Silver 3
    Everyone else: Bronze 3

Don’t change matchmaking algorithms to take roster into account, but this would give newer players the ability to play a little before they reach their natural ceiling which would be the TBs/Cavs who aren’t actually very good, or are playing casually. Likewise the TBs who are keen on progressing are going to get a day or so of easier matchups before they immediately hit the bigger accounts.

The serious players from the GC will save a boat load of energy/Elders marks and be able to devote more effort and energy to playing in the GC than they would normally be able to - I pretty much ran out of Elders Marks by the time I hit the circuit this season and that was with a consistent win rate over 50%.

Ultimately I’m not sure if there’s a ‘correct’ option, it’s still a new game mode with growing pains right now, but as this mode offers MCoC’s Segway into competitive e-gaming, it’s in their best interest to keep it appealing to the casuals, newly ambitious and the already-sweaty players alike.
  • Options
    Monk1Monk1 Posts: 745 ★★★★
    SandeepS said:

I believe the current scenario is similar to the FA Cup in UK (football/ soccer). Any team can enter, whether you're part time or paid millions. Each team is fighting for the same prize. It's the choice of each team whether they field a strong team, or weak. There can be upsets and giant defeats but it's usually the strongest teams who win at the end, accordingly the prizes are awarded.

In the same way, if someone wants to field a weaker roster to match a lower opponent it's not great for competition but it's a risk to them as it could also backfire. You can only beat what is in front of you.

I believe as there are no tiers to the rewards, everyone should be able to match anyone from their current tier. E.g. gold 2 match up with gold 2 with no filtering, only random matches.

If rewards are different for paragon, TB, cav etc. Then there should be different leagues like in boxing where featherweights face other featherweights. If a featherweight and heavyweight wanted to match in a friendly it's ok but not official competition.

Just my opinion.

This is a very good way to look at it..

But you miss one important point. The real big teams (Liverpool, Man Utd etc…) do not join until round 3… there has already been 2 main rounds and 7/8ish pre qualifier rounds.

This is what is missing from BGs currently.
  • Options
    _Pez__Pez_ Posts: 216 ★★★
    The problem is that they've tried to combine a half matchmaking based on account, half matching on what tier/division currently in while competing for same rewards. It just doesn't work, need to pick which route want to go down.

If go down a route of a tier/division system with everyone competing for same rewards people shouldn't expect to avoid fighting bigger accounts at all. While the sandbagging approach is dodgy it's a symptom of the terrible approach to the victory track. Removing sandbagging and keeping everything else as is in terms of structure and rewards doesn't make things fair. If everyone is going to be forced from the same starting position, for the same rewards then everyone should have equal chance to fight each other regardless of deck or progression. This approach could improve over time if they removed the everyone starting from bronze. Smaller accounts shouldn't just be able to fight to top of victory track without fighting bigger accounts. At some point there needs to be a point where everyone can fight everyone.

If do want more accessible battles for everyone based on account strength, then everyone needs to be segregated from the get go based on account and be fighting for different caliber of rewards. In this case matchmaking could be based off of the top 7 champs In deck since that's the minimum people need to select.

Wanting more accessible battles for everyone is a good thing and will help enjoyment for all, but it's not a simple case of stopping sandbagging, there would need to be an accompanying change in structure to rewards and the tier system.

• Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,304 ★★★★★

FiiNCH said:

That's the point though.
    Your rewards are trophy tokens which you get the same number when you cross tiers as a paragon player. What you can buy from the store is irrelevant for the argument.
  • Options
    SandeepSSandeepS Posts: 1,167 ★★★★
    Monk1 said:

This is a very good way to look at it..

But you miss one important point. The real big teams (Liverpool, Man Utd etc…) do not join until round 3… there has already been 2 main rounds and 7/8ish pre qualifier rounds.

This is what is missing from BGs currently.

Agreed, I'd prefer if the big teams were not given a bye into later rounds personally though.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★

If you can't beat someone with half a roster of 2* champs, then you don't deserve to be in their tier.
  • Options
    BazzingaaaBazzingaaa Posts: 357 ★★★

If you can't beat someone with half a roster of 2* champs, then you don't deserve to be in their tier.
    Is silver 1 'their tier'?
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

And you can't beat someone with a similar strength roster to yours. What makes you think you belong anywhere other than you are?
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    edited October 2022

Do you know how hard it is for a paragon player to get out of silver without adjusting roster in some way? With my normal roster, I got matched with players with a dozen r4 6*s, most of which were among newest and most defensive champs in the game.

I have a strong roster but I'm not a whale and I don't do competitive aw (so haven't done defensive rankups much) and don't have the new champs plus it's crazy hard winning that many in a row against rosters like that.

I 100% admit I'm among those who adjusted roster to avoid fighting a roster full of top r4 6* defenders in bronze and silver leagues while weaker rosters are going against 4* Groot's as defenders. However, the only thing I think that is sillier than those complaining about those who do this is that we have to do it to begin with just to get out of bronze and silver. If we are competing for same prizes, there is absolutely no reason for more progressing players to be forever into harder matchups.
  • Options

Found the person using the 2* exploit.
  • Options

Do you know how hard it is for a paragon player to get out of silver without adjusting roster in some way? With my normal roster, I got matched with players with a dozen r4 6*s, most of which were among newest and most defensive champs in the game.

I have a strong roster but I'm not a whale and I don't do competitive aw (so haven't done defensive rankups much) and don't have the new champs plus it's crazy hard winning that many in a row against rosters like that.

I 100% admit I'm among those who adjusted roster to avoid fighting a roster full of top r4 6* defenders in bronze and silver leagues while weaker rosters are going against 4* Groot's as defenders. However, the only thing I think that is sillier than those complaining about those who do this is that we have to do it to begin with just to get out of bronze and silver. If we are competing for same prizes, there is absolutely no reason for more progressing players to be forever into harder matchups.
    Yeah this happened to me on my alt. took forever to get into gold. Ah well. atleast i had fun doing it