**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Alliance Wars Discussion Thread

Hey Summoners!

We've just dropped some information on our next iteration of Alliance Wars, and this one includes some big changes to the Scoring method! Take a look at the announcement Thread and let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/36645/alliance-wars-scoring-update-coming-december-13th

We've closed the last discussion thread, because it references older information that is no longer relevant. You can find that archived thread here: http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/31767/alliance-wars-discussion-2-0/

Comments

• UnsaferBinkie7UnsaferBinkie7 Posts: 658 ★★
    Not too bad, I'm ok with this for now kabam.

Still expecting some more changes to diversity, as it'll still have some forced feel to it.

And another question, a bunch of us have ranked up....useless champs you could say, wondering if we'll be even compensated a bit for it?

Because it seems diversity is getting pushed away a bit, it'll mean more of the same champs again (which is awesome), but some of us have a r5 that's useless in the content out there besides arena.
  • Mmx1991Mmx1991 Posts: 674 ★★★★
    Some good changes Kabam.
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,035 ★★★★★
    Great move. Now Can u luck at the rewards it kind get old to
  • NevvBNevvB Posts: 287 ★★★
    edited December 2017
    Good changes. Looking forward to the new scoring method.

We are still waiting for an update on rewards after the map was buffed 3x but rewards were buffed 0x.
  • QwertyQwerty Posts: 636 ★★★
    i don't understand, in 1 section you write this:
    We want to make sure that engaging in fights awards more points than just walking around a map.
    The Alliance War map has a large amount of empty nodes, many being portal entrances and exits, and navigating through those shouldn't win a war over taking a shorter path that actually has Defenders along it.

and for attacker kills you write this:
    Attacker walks through a node that could have a defender on it but doesn’t (i.e. an empty node - this does not include portal entrances/exits or other nodes where you can’t place a Defender):
    - Attacker earns 240 Bonus Points in addition to any other points earned from node exploration.

what am i missing here?
    otherwise good changes. looking forward to it.
  • FAL7ENFAL7EN Posts: 297
    Changes look good, great job Kabam team!
  • meoreanmeorean Posts: 57
    edited December 2017
    Attacker walks through a node that could have a defender on it but doesn’t (i.e. an empty node - this does not include portal entrances/exits or other nodes where you can’t place a Defender):
    - Attacker earns 240 Bonus Points in addition to any other points earned from node exploration.

what am i missing here?

They did that to stop the strategy of placing no defenders, in order to deny attack bonuses to your opponent.
  • UnsaferBinkie7UnsaferBinkie7 Posts: 658 ★★
    My comment is ignored :disappointed:.
  • Will the champs be hidden again? That’s seems like it would add to the difficulty of planning what champs to bring.
  • Qwerty wrote: »
    We want to make sure that engaging in fights awards more points than just walking around a map.
    The Alliance War map has a large amount of empty nodes, many being portal entrances and exits, and navigating through those shouldn't win a war over taking a shorter path that actually has Defenders along it.

what am i missing here?

This sounds a lot like a suggestion I made, so on the assumption that it is similar, I can explain what I think this all means.

Ignoring portals, there are two kinds of nodes: nodes that you cannot place a defender on, and nodes you can place a defender on. For nodes that you cannot place a defender on, you just get exploration for "capturing" it. But for nodes that you can place a defender on, there is an invisible bucket of 240 bonus points sitting on it. However, every time you die there the bucket loses 80 points. Once you "capture" the node, you get whatever is in the bucket.

So if the other guys don't place a defender there, you get all 240 points automatically the moment you step onto the node. You "capture" it, and all the points. But if there is a defender there, you have to kill it to capture the node and grab the points. Do so with no deaths, get 240. Die once, the bucket drops by 80. Capture the node, and you'll grab 160. Die again, the bucket drops by 80 again. And so on.

Mental model: every node that can hold a defender has a bag of 240 bonus points you can grab. But every time the node kills you the bag loses 80 points. After three deaths, the bonus bag is empty. But you can still get exploration points for eventually defeating the node and "capturing" it.
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Qwerty wrote: »

what am i missing here?

This sounds a lot like a suggestion I made, so on the assumption that it is similar, I can explain what I think this all means.

Ignoring portals, there are two kinds of nodes: nodes that you cannot place a defender on, and nodes you can place a defender on. For nodes that you cannot place a defender on, you just get exploration for "capturing" it. But for nodes that you can place a defender on, there is an invisible bucket of 240 bonus points sitting on it. However, every time you die there the bucket loses 80 points. Once you "capture" the node, you get whatever is in the bucket.

So if the other guys don't place a defender there, you get all 240 points automatically the moment you step onto the node. You "capture" it, and all the points. But if there is a defender there, you have to kill it to capture the node and grab the points. Do so with no deaths, get 240. Die once, the bucket drops by 80. Capture the node, and you'll grab 160. Die again, the bucket drops by 80 again. And so on.

Mental model: every node that can hold a defender has a bag of 240 bonus points you can grab. But every time the node kills you the bag loses 80 points. After three deaths, the bonus bag is empty. But you can still get exploration points for eventually defeating the node and "capturing" it.

thanks
    meorean wrote: »

what am i missing here?

They did that to stop the strategy of placing no defenders, in order to deny attack bonuses to your opponent.

please, sir, have a like.
  • Maximus_SpankersonMaximus_Spankerson Posts: 445 ★★
    Bravo... nice work. Finally

what am i missing here?

@Qwerty if they didn't award full points for empty nodes my guess is it would bring back the win wars by placing fewer defenders thing. You could potentially score more than the opponent by giving them fewer opportunities to score points.

thanks
  • Indrick781 wrote: »
    Changes look ok on paper. Attack bonus is basically defender kills. The problems I have are that everyone is still going to go for 100% exploration so defenders remaining will still basically be zero points and the rewards still are pretty terrible. The war crystals suck outside of loyalty and the shards are lower than arena still.

I don't see that as a problem with the defenders remaining metric. That metric specifically matters in alliance wars that don't end in 100%, and there are still lots of those. Where both sides reach 100% kills and 100% explore, the war will most likely be decided by the attacker bonus points. If that is close, it could be decided on diversity points but I've already addressed that in my first post.

As to rewards, we should cross that bridge when AW reaches its final form. Until it settles down, I don't think adding rewards to the system is a good idea myself. The majority of the competitively oriented players need to believe the wars are basically fair before we start discussing how the winners (and losers) should be rewarded in my opinion.
  • Qwerty wrote: »

what am i missing here?

@Qwerty if they didn't award full points for empty nodes my guess is it would bring back the win wars by placing fewer defenders thing. You could potentially score more than the opponent by giving them fewer opportunities to score points.

That was the specific intent when I proposed this idea. It should be impossible for the defenders to deny the attackers the bonus for being good attackers by simply not giving them anything to attack.
  • KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★

what am i missing here?

Possibly for the way mvp is decided ?
  • Will the matchmaking parameters also be addressed or will it still be by prestige primarily and war rating second?