**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Pause Button in Battlegrounds

Comments

• Rudolph_RaindeerRudolph_Raindeer Posts: 257 ★★
    @TitoBandito187 Well argued. I agree 💯 with you!!
  • Like the thinking of @BigBlueOx and @redsoxpatsfan89 (penalize health or points if Pause), and actually haven’t really seen that suggested before.

Have a Health Loss PER SECOND of paused time of an amount proportional to the overall Fight Time.

So say if max fight time is 120 sec (forgive me, forget if 120 secs is the correct timer or not), then every second of Paused time would cost you 1/120th of your Health Pool.

So pausing for the entire rest of duration after only a few seconds of fight will basically end up with close to no Health remaining on your attacker afterward.

So doing short pauses will cost you some small % of health, but at least would let you briefly do something without an automatic loss.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    edited December 2022
    Mackey said:

To be clear here, we do not think this is a fair strategy, and will be taking action to stop it. The answer to playing a game should never be "Don't play the game". The game team is already aware and exploring options.

Just don't remove the ability to pause, it's bad enough they removed the ability to quit the match. If I have something that requires my attention mid game I should be able to forfeit the match entirely from the fight screen
    I'm all for allowing people to pause if there is no competitive advantage to doing so but I'm interested in hearing if you actually have a viable solution that would allow it?
  • PandingoPandingo Posts: 698 ★★★
    So sandbagging isn't iq 200 but sandbagging using 2 and 3 stars of champs you know are top tier that you don't use or have so that when you ban them it actually lowered your chance of drafting 2* and 3*. That was iq 200 hahahaha. But that's not an issue now so moving on. The pause button, one in 50 fights its a problem. I'm still more concerned with modders
    Pandingo said:

So sandbagging isn't iq 200 but sandbagging using 2 and 3 stars of champs you know are top tier that you don't use or have so that when you ban them it actually lowered your chance of drafting 2* and 3*. That was iq 200 hahahaha. But that's not an issue now so moving on. The pause button, one in 50 fights its a problem. I'm still more concerned with modders

Obviously everyone's individual experience is different but I would say that number is closer to 1 in 10. It's material significance is obviously lower than that of a modder as the pauser can really only get a max score of 44,999 which is not a guaranteed win but people are still improving their win rates significantly by using this unsportsmanlike tactic.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Pandingo said:

To be honest, they all fall under unfair play.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

Pandingo said:

Obviously everyone's individual experience is different but I would say that number is closer to 1 in 10. It's material significance is obviously lower than that of a modder as the pauser can really only get a max score of 44,999 which is not a guaranteed win but people are still improving their win rates significantly by using this unsportsmanlike tactic.
    Wait!! What? How can they get a max score of 44999? If you get 44999 that means they did not pause but played really well.
    edited December 2022
    Graves_3 said:

K00shMaan said:

Pandingo said:

Wait!! What? How can they get a max score of 44999? If you get 44999 that means they did not pause but played really well.
    If you're fighting Hercules for example and get him into his Immortality and at 1 HP while you yourself have 100%, you will have a score of 44,999 (15,000 for Attacker HP Remaining and 29,999 for Defender HP Remaining, maybe slightly less if it's a lower level). If he has an SP3 ready to go that will do more damage to your Attacker HP Remaining score that you can earn via Fight Duration, it is in your best interest to pause and wait out the clock and accept that score.
    Another example is fighting Nick Fury and pausing right before you trigger his healing rather than dealing with his 2nd life.

Pausing doesn't mean that you did it at the very beginning of the fight, you can still pause with 10 seconds remaining to preserve your score that you otherwise don't necessarily deserve.

If someone finishes a fight with less than 100 Seconds Fight Duration but neither champ got KO'ed. In all likelihood they paused.
  • MackeyMackey Posts: 1,547 ★★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

Mackey said:

To be clear here, we do not think this is a fair strategy, and will be taking action to stop it. The answer to playing a game should never be "Don't play the game". The game team is already aware and exploring options.

Just don't remove the ability to pause, it's bad enough they removed the ability to quit the match. If I have something that requires my attention mid game I should be able to forfeit the match entirely from the fight screen
    I'm all for allowing people to pause if there is no competitive advantage to doing so but I'm interested in hearing if you actually have a viable solution that would allow it?
    Why should that be on me to do so? I have no suggestions as it's not my forte, I don't ask kabam how to do my job lol I get why people want it gone and I do agree that people shouldn't be able to pause to gain an "advantage" even if it is a gamble. But the purpose of the pause is something important, to pause your fight(s) while something more pressing requires your attention, sometimes I can deal with it in 15 seconds or so sometimes I have to (or should I say use to) quit out the match then subsequently quit the whole match up to deal with something. We can't just remove anything and everything that allows one to stop playing simply because it makes it unfair. The onus is on kabam to come up with a system that can't be manipulated.

Actually, I have a suggestion.

Make it purely about 1v1 win and lose, not somewhere the middle (ie points scored). You beat them quicker than they beat you, you win. You finish at the same time then the health remaining is the tie breaker 🤷‍♂️.
    edited December 2022
    I've put some thought into this and the best solution I can think of is something similar to how a sports games do their online head-to-head matchups. Basically your pause screen would get it's own independent timer. You are permitted to have 30 seconds of paused time per round for example. When you run out of pause time, the game will automatically unpause and you will lose the ability to pause for the rest of that round. If you unpause with time still remaining you are able to pause again. While paused your actual in fight timer does not tick so you still have to actually survive and fight for the whole ~2 minutes or get a KO before that. I think some other behind the scenes timers would have to also be adjusted and this would also in theory make matches a little longer but that's the best I could think of.
    edited December 2022
    K00shMaan said:

I've put some thought into this and the best solution I can think of is something similar to how a sports games do their online head-to-head matchups. Basically your pause screen would get it's own independent timer. You are permitted to have 30 seconds of paused time per round for example. When you run out of pause time, the game will automatically unpause and you will lose the ability to pause for the rest of that round. If you unpause with time still remaining you are able to pause again. While paused your actual in fight timer does not tick so you still have to actually survive and fight for the whole ~2 minutes or get a KO before that. I think some other behind the scenes timers would have to also be adjusted and this would also in theory make matches a little longer but that's the best I could think of.

That could work, maybe not 30 seconds though, it is only a 2 min round, maybe 15 seconds? And then have a limit of 3 pauses per person 🤔.

Did you get the inspiration from FIFA 😂
    Also it would have to still abide by the 2 min fight timer in game. Otherwise your opponents matches would end up a lot longer 🤷‍♂️, if you take the time to pause and do something else then you definitely should lose that time, I have zero issues with that
    @Kabam Miike do you think it would be possible to look into adding a forfeit button on the pause screen mid fight? Whereby hitting it will put you back to Battlegrounds homescreen, not just forfeiting that one round like the old quit button did.

If I need to get off the game which has happened a few times I just force close the app now, which is fine for me but I don't know what implications that has on my opponent and how long they're waiting for the game to "catch up" to me force closing
    Mackey said:

K00shMaan said:

That could work, maybe not 30 seconds though, it is only a 2 min round, maybe 15 seconds? And then have a limit of 3 pauses per person 🤔.

Did you get the inspiration from FIFA 😂
    I'm an NHL guy myself but yeah I believe EA uses the same concept for all of those types of games. Timer could also be cumulative for the 3 rounds and be 30 seconds or 15 each round as you suggest. It's also worth considering that currently people are pausing and then having to wait the remainder of the full 2 minutes. Even though a separate pause timer may make specific rounds take longer, other rounds where pause abuse was being used will end up being shorter so maybe over the span of a lot of matches, it isn't actually making the game modem take that much longer (or maybe even shorter, we don't have the data).
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,209 ★★★★★
    edited December 2022
    The pause button is 9ne of the most important function to me.
    I can't count how many times I have paused a fight when life happens.

I just eat the sp3s in BG. I don't pause for advantage, I pause to respond to someone.
  • Siliyo said:

Siliyo said:

This is a 200 IQ play, giving the opponent an impossible matchup but making sure you survive

That’s like saying sandbagging was 200 iq when it’s just unfair.
    One is purposely putting in lower star champs, knowing you won’t use them, to beat on weaker developed rosters.

The other is putting you in an impossible situation (since you didn’t have a poison immune), but making sure he would win.

Two separate scenarios
    He would have won that fight if he had done a few combos, and then paused like his opponent did because it weighs defend her health lost over, attacker health retained. But then he would have to know that his opponent was going to pause and calculate how much time he should spend trying to do damage. That is 100% not how this mode is intended to be played. Pausing is not a big brain play. It’s just cheating. Just because the game allows you to do it doesn’t make it not cheating. It is cheating and that’s facts. You can disagree with me all you want.

• Kabam, please disable the pause button. I do not care at all, if I lose a match because I had to answer the door or someone was distracting me, or I had to put the game down for a couple of seconds. That is nothing compared to the amount of rage that builds inside me when I lose a match that I would have won because someone who hit the pause button to take advantage of the scoring system rather than see it through.
  • TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    how about you just make the rule that you can't pause when the opponent has a sp3 active? i think that would eliminate most of the problems that people have with pausing
  • Andy3202Andy3202 Posts: 62

Another mangog sp3 causing game crash.
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,301 ★★★★★
    K00shMaan said:

Graves_3 said:

K00shMaan said:

Pandingo said:

If you're fighting Hercules for example and get him into his Immortality and at 1 HP while you yourself have 100%, you will have a score of 44,999 (15,000 for Attacker HP Remaining and 29,999 for Defender HP Remaining, maybe slightly less if it's a lower level). If he has an SP3 ready to go that will do more damage to your Attacker HP Remaining score that you can earn via Fight Duration, it is in your best interest to pause and wait out the clock and accept that score.
    Another example is fighting Nick Fury and pausing right before you trigger his healing rather than dealing with his 2nd life.

Pausing doesn't mean that you did it at the very beginning of the fight, you can still pause with 10 seconds remaining to preserve your score that you otherwise don't necessarily deserve.

If someone finishes a fight with less than 100 Seconds Fight Duration but neither champ got KO'ed. In all likelihood they paused.
    I get the fury example but for any other defender I don’t get it. Someone who has a flawless fight that they get defender down to 1% health while still being at 100% attacker health would not care about pausing. They will probably finish the fight off and get the time bonus on top of it. So technically you are right that max with fury as defender is 44999 but with that score, I think they earned the win regardless of whether they pause the fight or not.
  • BayouemBayouem Posts: 98
    These are not examples of paused fights but rather restarting the app during the fight. I don’t think removing the pause button is the way to go. Sometimes a fight needs to be paused for real life issues. If they want to make a change to bgs let’s bring back fight stats.