**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Let's get rid of the Pause button in Battlegrounds

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    Just lost to a pauser. Really F'n lame Kabam. Add that to the awful bugs and it just makes GBs even worse. Fix it.
  • Options
    DannyB01DannyB01 Posts: 471 ★★★
    There’s a legitimate reason for the pause button. If your wife needs you to open a jar, or your kid is about to knock your coffee off the table, you’ll be glad it’s there.

I would propose an alternative: <60 seconds of the fight unpaused = 0 points.
  • Options
    KyrieRedKyrieRed Posts: 287 ★★
    Cry me a river, devs have more important things to work on than the pause button I can guarantee you that’s not the only reason why you are losing in BattleGrounds, roster, skill, strategy, etc are way more definitive reason why you win or lose.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    KyrieRed said:

Cry me a river, devs have more important things to work on than the pause button I can guarantee you that’s not the only reason why you are losing in BattleGrounds, roster, skill, strategy, etc are way more definitive reason why you win or lose.

You're right, bugs have much more to do with losing than pausing. I somehow miss dexing Nimrod and Domino's SP2s for the first time in years, but I guess I should just getgud.

Awful 'argument'.
  • Options
    DrZola said:

Pausing is a calculated strategy, just like holding in blackjack.

Not sure why anyone has an issue with someone deciding that taking/dealing a certain amount of damage is how they want to end a fight. Typically their scores aren’t that high, so the suggestion for those complaining would be to get better scores than the pausers.

Dr. Zola

I disagree, you shouldn’t be able to finish a fight by pausing to lock in a score. I don’t see any skill in that and just trying to find another way around the system
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

Pausing is a calculated strategy, just like holding in blackjack.

Not sure why anyone has an issue with someone deciding that taking/dealing a certain amount of damage is how they want to end a fight. Typically their scores aren’t that high, so the suggestion for those complaining would be to get better scores than the pausers.

Dr. Zola

The problem is with the Damage people are taking from playing with the new Nodes, it's not a fair strategy. Not that it is any other time. We get judged based on performance, not taking a dive for more Points.
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,534 ★★★★★

Yes get rid of it. There really is no debate to be had. Its disappointing to see how many players are ok with abusing it. I saw "Pause and get your 15k" a dozen times yesterday

The be better and get more than 15k points. I’ve won a handful of matches easily where they paused “got their 15k” and got destroyed. I look at it as an easy win when that happens.
    Git Gud is really your response? And you're fine with a feature that's being widely abused?
    It is my response if people can’t put up more than 15k points for an easy victory. If you read my previous post you would know that I am against this “cheat” method. I am simply saying that until it is resolved, be better.

Having said that, just like the “sandbagging method” most times, it means an easy win. If someone is willing to give you a win, why not take it?
  • Options
    Wu_Bangerz23Wu_Bangerz23 Posts: 812 ★★★
    I've used it ONCE....game lagged on me and put my AA vs a man thing....I was so mad.....I paused....may have won too. But it's a cheap tactic. I felt bad and threw the next match and made it fair for one contest
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
    @GinjabredMonsta and @GroundedWisdom rational counterarguments, and I would somewhat agree that BG pausing isn’t in the *spirit* of the game (whatever that is, anyway—reminds me of when the team used to talk about the “sanctity” of the Contest).

But be honest here—you’ve both played for a good while and should know that there are plenty of cases where players use/bend the rules to their advantage. Not all of them are exploits.

If there were literally no downside to pausing (and there clearly is, because you’re looking at a max of ~15K points in a mode that scores up to 4X more), then I’d say it’s blatantly unfair.

For me, that very real downside marks
    the line between legitimate play and exploit. You literally cannot get more than maybe 25-30% of the possible points. This isn’t running the Gauntlet over and over to get double and triple rewards—pause is like icing the puck, running out the clock, standing pat at the cards table.

What is pertinent, in my opinion, is why this has become a desirable strategy. That’s the question to dig into, and I think it relates to bad game design, coding errors and bugs and overall fumbling the start of the BG season. Fix that and there’s a lot less reason to pause.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,534 ★★★★★
    It’s desirable because most people aren’t interested in ranking up one or two champs they will never use outside of this node. Think of a champ like Civil Warrior.

It also is because people try to get kills as quick as possible in battlegrounds and without the proper counters, they feel they don’t have a chance and try to “steal” a win.

My personal favorite one was a guy paused at the start when he had Falcon against Thing. I had Man Thing against Prof X. I won easily because he only got 15k points, but he 100% should and probably would’ve won had he done the fight. Thanks for the free W man!
  • Options
    MackeyMackey Posts: 1,549 ★★★★★
    Not this again 🙄, leave the pause, what if you want to pause for something irl ... jeez 🤦‍♂️. I know of zero competitive games that don't allow you to pause. Kabam need to implement something that stops them from gaining points with a pause, they need to earn their money and design a system to counter it. Removing basic functions can't always be the answer.
  • Options

Another idea is to add a small Degen effect to being paused. Something at a rate which still allows for recovering from legitimate pausing, and things coming up, but still penalizes sitting on Pause the entire Fight.

Another idea is to add a small Degen effect to being paused. Something at a rate which still allows for recovering from legitimate pausing, and things coming up, but still penalizes sitting on Pause the entire Fight.

This would do it. Pause all you want. You take 1% damage per second. This hits far enough to both sides to be just about perfect
    So if my pet is about to make a mess I've got to take damage for pausing to clean it up? Really!? What a silly suggestion. They need to make it so you can only pause once per fight/round (so potentially 3 pauses in 1 full match up) and put a 10/15 second timer on that pause. That way you can't pause at the start and leave it for the whole match. A lot of sporting games use this in their ranked games and it works. Removing a pause button is just a cheap cop out for simple minds
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Mackey said:

This would do it. Pause all you want. You take 1% damage per second. This hits far enough to both sides to be just about perfect
    So if my pet is about to make a mess I've got to take damage for pausing to clean it up? Really!? What a silly suggestion. They need to make it so you can only pause once per fight/round (so potentially 3 pauses in 1 full match up) and put a 10/15 second timer on that pause. That way you can't pause at the start and leave it for the whole match. A lot of sporting games use this in their ranked games and it works. Removing a pause button is just a cheap cop out for simple minds
    So 45 free seconds to do the same thing people are doing now?
  • Options

Mackey said:

So 45 free seconds to do the same thing people are doing now?
    Well no it would be 10/15 as I said in 1 fight. You get 1 pause per fight. The only thing they can do in that fight against you by abusing the pause button is the last 10/15 seconds which is infinitely better than 120 seconds, while still maintaining a pause feature for legit reasons.
  • Options
    Or if you pause the match then you get 10/15 seconds of leeway after which you start to degen ... I think that would be a good compromise
  • Options
    I'm certainly not against it being punished/allowed somehow and fully agree that those who do it are just as bad as the sandbaggers etc but we should be able to pause, even if it is just a small window 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,685 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

What is pertinent, in my opinion, is why this has become a desirable strategy. That’s the question to dig into, and I think it relates to bad game design, coding errors and bugs and overall fumbling the start of the BG season. Fix that and there’s a lot less reason to pause.

Dr. Zola

Excellent point made here.

• Options
    Unabonger97Unabonger97 Posts: 49
    Pausing is a calculated strategy he says it's a b move and is poor sportsmanship not how the game was intended to be played I've been a loyal player and spender for years this bg meta is the most awful thing possible kabam could not have made it less enjoyable if they tried ruined what was becoming the best part of the game the only people defending it are trolls and whales
  • Options
    JefechutaJefechuta Posts: 1,205 ★★★★
    Guys, putting pause out wont make you win rounds, you dont have pause? You just dex and hit block. They will get even more points just because the block damage.
  • Options
    t3r3e3yt3r3e3y Posts: 4
    If players that fight through the timeline are averaging 10,000 or less points, and players that pause the whole fight get 15,000 points…than why play? This is another example of KABAM supporting and rewarding unsportsmanlike play. Either get rid of the pause button in BG, or stop leveraging nodes that make it more important who you play rather than how well you fight. This isn’t only a terrible player experience, you are training online gamers to cheat to win. It is bad enough you made this potentially awesome gameplay suck, but now you are teaching people to be cheaters and bad sports that suck at life as well. Shame on KABAM!