**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

There is no such thing as “best champion in the game”

Each situation calls for certain champion especially with end of game content. For example SL for long fights where no utility is included. Magik for power control. Hyperion for quick damage and so on.

You need a collection of at least 10 certain champions to have the “best in the game”.

Comments

• Options
    Dave_the_destroyerDave_the_destroyer Posts: 981 ★★
    But if people want to think and believe there is, then let them, no harm done matey
  • Options
    Nemesis666Nemesis666 Posts: 171
    Blade. I'm out.
  • Options
    Hulk_77Hulk_77 Posts: 782 ★★★
    Blade isn't best for bleed immune.
  • Options
    Kil63Kil63 Posts: 254 ★★
    When you can regen the way he can, he's not worried about bleeding
  • Options
    LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    There is a best champion, it’s blatantly wrong to say otherwise. There may be situations where the best isn’t viable, and the best may be arguable as to who it is, but there is a best.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    I agree, Knight. I share the same perspective. However, people will always choose Champs. That's just the atmosphere of the game. The "best" will always change. It will always require a "worst". Somehow these things fall into a hierarchy organically. Lol. I'm with you, though. I don't subscribe to the mindset.
  • Options
    Romario26Romario26 Posts: 97
    edited December 2017
    I’d choose a blade (apparently best champ in game) to fight LOL Col over a SL or stark spidey
  • Options
    Vossler77Vossler77 Posts: 683 ★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    My attitude here is that for well-informed players with full knowledge of how the content works and a lot of experience with how the champions play, there can be a "best in the game" champion opinion which can be reasonably debated with other like-minded players. Its no different from picking an MVP for a sports team knowing full well that one single player can't do much all by themselves: there is still the notion that one player is more valuable than the others even if they are not the best at everything or can even do anything.

It is when unknowledgeable players *ask* who is the best champion in the game that there's a problem. Because there is no one champion that is best at everything, they can get the wrong idea when they are told who is "best" before they learn who is even "good."

Back in the day, "best" was essentially "best at dealing damage" because most content was doable with a variety of champions, making the singular worst case scenario Labyrinth of Legends, which generally requires maximum damage output to minimize the cost to beat (the enrage timers make any other strategy other than maximum damage per second mostly meaningless). Which basically put Star Lord alone at the top of the heap. But as the general content got harder with things like Act 5 and the special events and now uncollected difficulty, LoL isn't the only focus of the end game. Other champions like Voodoo and Iceman and Archangel started to share the spotlight with Star Lord.

I think Blade attracts a lot of interest because while he is not necessarily the best at anything, he has fewer bad matchups than other champions and even his worst matchups are not bad. And I think that follows the pattern of Iceman being considered one of the best previously: not chosen for being the best at something, but for being always at least pretty good everywhere. Blade is never bad, and that means he has a lot more upside potential when facing future endgame content, on top of also being very good at the currently very difficult stuff.

Heck, I took three shots at him originally, and I'm saving to try for him in February. I don't know if he is the best champion, I just know I want him more than any other champion currently.

Well said.
  • Options
    Hulk_77Hulk_77 Posts: 782 ★★★
    My attitude here is that for well-informed players with full knowledge of how the content works and a lot of experience with how the champions play, there can be a "best in the game" champion opinion which can be reasonably debated with other like-minded players. Its no different from picking an MVP for a sports team knowing full well that one single player can't do much all by themselves: there is still the notion that one player is more valuable than the others even if they are not the best at everything or can even do anything.

It is when unknowledgeable players *ask* who is the best champion in the game that there's a problem. Because there is no one champion that is best at everything, they can get the wrong idea when they are told who is "best" before they learn who is even "good."

Back in the day, "best" was essentially "best at dealing damage" because most content was doable with a variety of champions, making the singular worst case scenario Labyrinth of Legends, which generally requires maximum damage output to minimize the cost to beat (the enrage timers make any other strategy other than maximum damage per second mostly meaningless). Which basically put Star Lord alone at the top of the heap. But as the general content got harder with things like Act 5 and the special events and now uncollected difficulty, LoL isn't the only focus of the end game. Other champions like Voodoo and Iceman and Archangel started to share the spotlight with Star Lord.

I think Blade attracts a lot of interest because while he is not necessarily the best at anything, he has fewer bad matchups than other champions and even his worst matchups are not bad. And I think that follows the pattern of Iceman being considered one of the best previously: not chosen for being the best at something, but for being always at least pretty good everywhere. Blade is never bad, and that means he has a lot more upside potential when facing future endgame content, on top of also being very good at the currently very difficult stuff.

Heck, I took three shots at him originally, and I'm saving to try for him in February. I don't know if he is the best champion, I just know I want him more than any other champion currently.

By that measure, I'd say Spark is better than Blade then. Spark definitely has fewer bad matchups than Blade.
  • Options
    OnlyOneAboveAllOnlyOneAboveAll Posts: 387 ★★
    Someone show me a video of you beating Maesteo in the LOL using Joe Fix It in one go without any revives and I will give you an Odin HAHAHA. This game is definitely champion specific. If you don't have certain champs you are absolutely not beating certain content. Ice Phoenix for example..... she left every 4 star champ I had with 1% health after cold snap. This is without getting touched. Letting cold snap wear off. Almost the same with any r3 5star. Of course unless you have Mephisto. Again..... champion specific. A r4 5star though doesn't take that much damage from cold snap. At least enough health left to do some decent damage. My issue is I see Pheonix and forget it's Ice man I was fighting. She was designed to keep lower players away unless they are willing to dish out some rescources. Oh well....... good luck to those with no r4 5stars.
  • Options
    Kil63Kil63 Posts: 254 ★★
    When you can regen the way he can, he's not worried about bleeding
  • Options
    AnimatronicstoAnimatronicsto Posts: 194
    There is absolutely a best champion in the game. And it’s blade. He’s got insane regen, crits and bleed. He is the best components of other champions all combined into the best
  • Options
    If you don't have certain champs you are absolutely not beating certain content. Ice Phoenix for example..... she left every 4 star champ I had with 1% health after cold snap. This is without getting touched. Letting cold snap wear off. Almost the same with any r3 5star. Of course unless you have Mephisto. Again..... champion specific. A r4 5star though doesn't take that much damage from cold snap. At least enough health left to do some decent damage. My issue is I see Pheonix and forget it's Ice man I was fighting. She was designed to keep lower players away unless they are willing to dish out some rescources. Oh well....... good luck to those with no r4 5stars.

Ice Phoenix's cold snap deals about 11k of damage. The only way you only have a tiny amount of health back with all of your 4* champs is either all of your 4* champs are weaker skill champs (the class disadvantage makes that closer to 15k of damage) or all of your 4* champions are 4/40s.

My 3.1 team ended up being 4/55 Iceman, 5/50 Daredevil, 4/40 Agent Venom, 5/50 Ghost Rider, and 5/50 Dormammu. GR and Dormammu were mostly for clearing to Ice Phoenix, and Iceman, Daredevil, and AV mostly worked on Ice Phoenix herself. I'm sad to say my Ice Phoenix skills are not the greatest, but 5/50 Daredevil got some decent damage in as long as I could keep up my intercepts. Because he survives cold snap with so little damage I ended up using some boosts for the fight, but since he buys you out of having to perfectly dodge special one he isn't a bad choice.

My absolute best Ice Phoenix run used zero potions and it was Agent Venom that finished her off (Iceman did about half, Daredevil did about a quarter). If I had the skills to play that well every time, a team of random 3/45s would have been enough to take her out.
  • Options
    OnlyOneAboveAllOnlyOneAboveAll Posts: 387 ★★
    If you don't have certain champs you are absolutely not beating certain content. Ice Phoenix for example..... she left every 4 star champ I had with 1% health after cold snap. This is without getting touched. Letting cold snap wear off. Almost the same with any r3 5star. Of course unless you have Mephisto. Again..... champion specific. A r4 5star though doesn't take that much damage from cold snap. At least enough health left to do some decent damage. My issue is I see Pheonix and forget it's Ice man I was fighting. She was designed to keep lower players away unless they are willing to dish out some rescources. Oh well....... good luck to those with no r4 5stars.

Ice Phoenix's cold snap deals about 11k of damage. The only way you only have a tiny amount of health back with all of your 4* champs is either all of your 4* champs are weaker skill champs (the class disadvantage makes that closer to 15k of damage) or all of your 4* champions are 4/40s.

My 3.1 team ended up being 4/55 Iceman, 5/50 Daredevil, 4/40 Agent Venom, 5/50 Ghost Rider, and 5/50 Dormammu. GR and Dormammu were mostly for clearing to Ice Phoenix, and Iceman, Daredevil, and AV mostly worked on Ice Phoenix herself. I'm sad to say my Ice Phoenix skills are not the greatest, but 5/50 Daredevil got some decent damage in as long as I could keep up my intercepts. Because he survives cold snap with so little damage I ended up using some boosts for the fight, but since he buys you out of having to perfectly dodge special one he isn't a bad choice.

My absolute best Ice Phoenix run used zero potions and it was Agent Venom that finished her off (Iceman did about half, Daredevil did about a quarter). If I had the skills to play that well every time, a team of random 3/45s would have been enough to take her out.

Then something wrong on my end. Cause I was using 5/50 Blade, Gwenpool, Magik and Hyperion. All went down to 1%. And that was with 3 boosts on. 20% health, 20% attack and 15% health/attack. My 4/55 Storm only took about 40% damage.
  • Options
    The point I'm making is that it's always changing. I understand people will always choose a best. I'm aware of the current Champs that meet the criteria. I just don't carry the mentality. I see Champs as unique. It's for that reason I don't go into hysterics when I pull a 5* Cage. Which I have. Lol. The "best" will always change when a new "best" comes along, and for me, the majority of discontent with the rest comes from that idea. I just don't play the comparison game. I don't have any quams with people having their own categories. I just prefer to stay away from the view. Champs are Champs in my mind, and they are just different, save for a few similar ones which is a separate subject. I don't pay attention to the best because I don't care to worry about the worst.
  • Options
    TBJ1118TBJ1118 Posts: 228
    I love it that the thread is basically “have blade” vs “have nots”, where the have nots say he is the best and OP, and the haves try to tune him down so that kabam does not nerf it. Btw, I am a have not even if I threw 60k shards at him, missing sooooo badly, so I have to say he is totally OP. But in case I’ll get him, then I’ll come back here and correct my post.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Lol. They don't nerf Champs because people like them. That's a whole misconception that keeps floating around. Talking about Champs doesn't lead to nerfs. Now, if there is a significant reason for a change, like Loki, which is brought to their attention, that's a different story. There's no risk of preferring Champs. :)
  • Options
    ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    TBJ1118 wrote: »
    I love it that the thread is basically “have blade” vs “have nots”, where the have nots say he is the best and OP, and the haves try to tune him down so that kabam does not nerf it. Btw, I am a have not even if I threw 60k shards at him, missing sooooo badly, so I have to say he is totally OP. But in case I’ll get him, then I’ll come back here and correct my post.

I'm totally not scared they are gonna nerf it -- why would I be? They literally created this character to help break up all of the Mystic Wars.

It isn't the "haves" and "have-nots." I have him. There are other characters who are just as effective, depending on what you are trying to accomplish and who you are facing.

I mean, seriously. If anything needs to be nerfed in this game, it's Mystic Dispersion -- and everyone knows it.

If they aren't gonna nerf Magik, Voodoo, and Ghost Rider, the Dormammus and Mephistos of the game running under Mystic Dispersion, why would anybody be scared they are gonna nerf Blade?

This game is all about counters. Magik and Voodoo and the Mystics have been running wild for too long, and now that Blade is about ready to tear through all this Mystic Dispersion ****, people who don't have him say he is OP?

Not flying in my book, but maybe that's just me

• Options
    gohard123gohard123 Posts: 999 ★★★
    ESF wrote: »
    I have a Blade, Spark.

Blade's useful and has great utility, but my gosh, people. A stacked Colossus runs through him, no matter what anyone says, because the bottom line for me is if Blade can't bleed 'em and they aren't Mystic or villains, you got some problems.

You aren't the best in the game if you can't power drain/power lock. Just my opinion. I use my 5/50 OG Vision, and I can use that character anywhere against anyone.

I say it a lot, but there's a reason that double immune, power controlling, heal blocking, power gaining monster isn't in the five-star pool

You aren't good enough at using blade
  • Options
    gohard123gohard123 Posts: 999 ★★★
    Hulk_77 wrote: »

By that measure, I'd say Spark is better than Blade then. Spark definitely has fewer bad matchups than Blade.

All mystics with 5/5 MD are bad matchups against spark
  • Options
    ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    gohard123 wrote: »
    ESF wrote: »

You aren't good enough at using blade

Or maybe I am kinda good at using other characters, too -- nice try, though
  • Options
    BornBorn Posts: 228 ★★
    Makes you wonder why they nerfed champs such as DS, SW, Thor and SL. They were once considered the best in game, much like Blade is now. I fail to see why they nerfed those champs and would not do the same to champs like blade, AA etc.. There must of been a reason for the nerf. Some of these knew champs seem on par or even more powerful than they ever were. Their abilities don’t seem any more special then some of these new champs.
  • Options
    ViciousJViciousJ Posts: 256
    She hulk begs to differ