Options

Is there a future for ftp summoners anymore?

Comments

• Options
    GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 785 ★★★★
    Doomflame said:

The point is literally easy, though. Unhappy player posts have become WAY more frequent here. Kabam obviously just doesn't care. No response on any of these either from them, and the same disappointment from events that people looked forward too.

What do you want them to say, though?
  • Options
    HalleyHalley Posts: 387 ★★

• Options
    Darkraw346Darkraw346 Posts: 2,030 ★★★★
    Omg such a breaking point for me... cry about it
  • Options
    BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,556 ★★★★
    Genie4pf said:

Chapter after chapter of this game, we see players on all level get screwed over because they don’t spend or they are ftp accounts. This cap’s commissary event might be the breaking point for everyone in general. It’s supposed to be game, it should never be this deep. 6* r5 came out and we all saw the ridiculous prices at which r5 mats were going for while the rest of us had to struggle for scrap or slave our asses in the eternity of pain for some crappy nexuses and a r5 “crystal”. 7* r3 is rumored to be dropping by the end of 2023 and ftp can barely string up one 7*r2 as of now. I feel this is the time we summoners make a choice on whether we continue enduring this. Same goes for the whales as well because the screwing over won’t stop with just us. Deals are already getting overpriced. How long can your fat wallets bear? We really need to decide on whether to continue this way or get treated properly.

This is a game run by a company here to make a profit for their shareholders. No money in = no game. No one forces you to spend. I’m not concerned about how other players progress and if they progress fast than me. I play because it’s enjoyable and I would like this game to be around for a lot longer.

I just can’t fathom why some people whinge that this game from time to time makes cash offers. Again no forces you spend 1c so just be thankful the game is here and you are part of it.
  • Options
    FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,650 ★★★★
    Genie4pf said:

Chapter after chapter of this game, we see players on all level get screwed over because they don’t spend or they are ftp accounts. This cap’s commissary event might be the breaking point for everyone in general. It’s supposed to be game, it should never be this deep. 6* r5 came out and we all saw the ridiculous prices at which r5 mats were going for while the rest of us had to struggle for scrap or slave our asses in the eternity of pain for some crappy nexuses and a r5 “crystal”. 7* r3 is rumored to be dropping by the end of 2023 and ftp can barely string up one 7*r2 as of now. I feel this is the time we summoners make a choice on whether we continue enduring this. Same goes for the whales as well because the screwing over won’t stop with just us. Deals are already getting overpriced. How long can your fat wallets bear? We really need to decide on whether to continue this way or get treated properly.

I agree with some of the points you made in this post. This event is pretty much exclusive to the whales, and FTP's don't stand a chance at doing pretty much anything in this event. However, as an FTP myself, I have to say, this game isn't as p2w as you might think. My friend who spends may get more champions than me, and may have higher level champions than me, but if I am more skilled than him, he can't catch up to my level of progression as fast. In the end, this game is all about skill. You can't just buy your way through to Paragon without putting in any effort.
  • Options
    DUHveedDUHveed Posts: 346 ★★★
    Genie4pf said:

Unless they are going to start charging to play the game, F2P will still be able to play. Stop thinking you

Genie4pf said:

Omg I didn’t expect this post to blow up. Nice to know we have so much kabam ass lickers on here. That being said, this post isn’t talking about the current state but what is going to happen in the future. Something similar happened in 2020 causing a boycott by most spenders in game. No one expects to have the same life as whales, just make it reasonable. This event is just the beginning btw. You’re gonna see a lot more
    Every time a big deal comes out the F2P community unites in a “this is the end of F2P” outcry, yet here we are 8 years later. The people that spend on this game aren’t going to close their wallets just because the people that don’t whine and cry about spending ruining the game

• Options
    IsisixkswmrIsisixkswmr Posts: 237
    edited September 2023
    @Genie4pf Bro I’m a ftp I’m at cav 6.3.1 and I’m managing easily even though I started 4 months ago lol
    So stop complaining about spending and start working
  • Options
    Freakyd said:

On another note, no idea why they chose civil warrior.

It’s the lore. Civil Warrior based on MCOC lore Cap took on Iron Man’s armor after he died in the battlerealm’s version of Civil War. And Civil Warrior is roughly based on Hydra Cap from the comics, if I recall correctly

• Options
    Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,824 ★★★★★
    DUHveed said:

Freakyd said:

It’s the lore. Civil Warrior based on MCOC lore Cap took on Iron Man’s armor after he died in the battlerealm’s version of Civil War. And Civil Warrior is roughly based on Hydra Cap from the comics, if I recall correctly

no, CW came first. Hydra Cap merely wore an armour that looked a bit like CW's that was green and gold.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,075 ★★★★★
    Doomflame said:

Doomflame said:

Doomflame said:

The point is literally easy, though. Unhappy player posts have become WAY more frequent here. Kabam obviously just doesn't care. No response on any of these either from them, and the same disappointment from events that people looked forward too.

What do you want them to say, though?
    Theres nothing they could say I would believe / accept (Unless its truthfully negative about themselves, which I dont see happening)
    Sounds like Kabam isn't really the problem there
    This offers no benefit to the conversation and also makes 0 sense. Lol.
    Neither is anything you've said.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,075 ★★★★★

Genie4pf said:

I agree with some of the points you made in this post. This event is pretty much exclusive to the whales, and FTP's don't stand a chance at doing pretty much anything in this event. However, as an FTP myself, I have to say, this game isn't as p2w as you might think. My friend who spends may get more champions than me, and may have higher level champions than me, but if I am more skilled than him, he can't catch up to my level of progression as fast. In the end, this game is all about skill. You can't just buy your way through to Paragon without putting in any effort.
    Stand a chance at what? Competing with someone willing to spend?
  • Options

DUHveed said:

Freakyd said:

no, CW came first. Hydra Cap merely wore an armour that looked a bit like CW's that was green and gold.
    Thank you for the correction. I loved that Cap arc btw

• Options
    Etm34Etm34 Posts: 1,644 ★★★★★
    Yes. You can easily attain the highest level of progression as a FTP, grow your roster incredibly quickly, etc.

You may not be as competitive in PvP as you want to be, but literally every mobile game I've ever played is like that.
  • Options
    Etm34 said:

Yes. You can easily attain the highest level of progression as a FTP, grow your roster incredibly quickly, etc.

You may not be as competitive in PvP as you want to be, but literally every mobile game I've ever played is like that.

You need to play more games. One of the biggest mobile games out there, Clash of Clans, for most of its history was not like that. I'm told it is different now, but the reason I quit it a while back was because it in effect had what a game designer would call a "death penalty." You could invest all your time and resources into building up your map, but if a stronger player came along they could destroy it and cause you to have to spend a ton of resources to build it back up. In effect, if you couldn't keep up, you could actually go backwards. So if you didn't spend enough cash and time, at some point it became literally pointless to play.

In MCOC, this is not just unlikely, it is impossible. No one can take anything away from you. Whether you spend zero dollars or a million dollars, whether you play six hours a day or six hours a month, your progress is your own. You can only go up, nothing can push you down. Just this one thing alone makes MCOC a hundred times more F2P friendly than Clash of Clans used to be (as I said, I've been told it is different now, but I wouldn't know: I moved on to Boom Beach which has never had nearly as bad a mechanic).

A lot of the idle work Farmville-like mobile games have *super* oppressive monetization and psychological mechanics. Storm8's games are notorious for that, and they were once among the most popular of this type. Earning currency? Good luck. Keeping up through reasonable gameplay? Oh, that's not happening. Don't even get me started on the exponential event ladders which are designed to explicitly trick players into spending money, and I use the word "trick" here very deliberately.

Mobile games that explicitly focus on relatively normalized PvP do tend to have more level playing grounds for their PvP combat, but they come in two types: wildly successful, and dead. That model of game requires it to be a huge hit to feed the ramjet of its model, or it dies. And most of them are dead.

I haven't played every mobile game out there, but anyone who says all games have what this game does has the burden of proof on them. Saying that without naming these games and precisely how they do all the things MCOC does right is saying nothing at all to me.
  • Options
    KAKemboROGSKEKAKemboROGSKE Posts: 4
    edited September 2023
    Luke9523 said:

O,o
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Genie4pf said:

You say this is supposed to be a game. For the people who are actually treating it like a game, MCOC is fantastic.

1. You do not have to spend at all. I don't think people give this one enough credit. You can play this game for free. This is a triple-A massively multiplayer game with nine years of content and going based on a licensed Disney/Marvel property and you can play it for free. Over 95% of everyone who has ever downloaded and played this game paid exactly zero dollars to play it, from all over the world. We sometimes forget how amazing that is, and what a benefit that is to the vast majority of all players of the game. It is not an exaggeration to say that almost everyone plays for free.

2. When I say you do not have to spend at all, I don't just mean that in the literal but worthless sense of, well, you don't have to spend, and you don't have to get anywhere either. There are extremely grindy F2P games out there where if you don't spend, you're never going to get anywhere in a human lifetime. In MCOC, you can get to Cavalier in a few weeks, you can get to TB in a couple months, and you can get to Paragon in a year for normal average play. I'm not talking about eight year veteran Youtubers doing an account blitz. I'm talking about healthy twenty year olds with decent eyesight and a couple hours a day to play most days as their primary hobby that have otherwise never heard of the game before. F2P players have very few roadblocks in their path. There are almost no paywalls anywhere in the game. Essentially all the content is open, there's just a handful of champs you can't get through spending, and none of them are themselves gateways to anything special, and even if you want to be a competitive, you can reasonably ascend to the top 1% of all players totally free. You might not get to the top 1% of the top 1%, but you can climb to the top tiers of competitive play including beating out many spenders if you are both good enough and put enough time into it.

3. MCOC is one of the most generous games in all of the F2P world in terms of allowing free to play players to grind premium currency. Many spending offers do not directly require cash, they simply require units, the premium currency of MCOC. You can buy those, but you can also earn those in the game. Some of them come very easily: you can get hundreds a month just doing the normal monthly content. You can get hundreds more for literally minutes a day in the arenas. A free to play player can easily get hundreds of dollars of premium currency a month, thousands of dollars of currency a year, with unexceptional gameplay. Without grinding "all day long." How many other F2P games can say that?

4. Literally everything that costs a lot today will be basically free on relatively short time scales. We're talking years, not days, but for people playing the game for the long term, T4CC used to take literally years to earn and now is practically given away. 5* champs used to be hard to get, 6* champs used to be hard to get, and they became very available relatively quickly. It wasn't long ago people were talking about how hard rank 3s were to get for most players, and now we're talking about why we can't do more than two R5 rank ups in a month. If you are patient and just play the game, eventually the rewards come to you.

The future of the game for F2P players who are treating MCOC like a game is very bright. They can ignore all the cash offers entirely. They can, if they choose to do so, earn huge amounts of rewards limited only by the amount of time they want to put into it. And they can progress to the top of the game even if they are time limited. The F2P players picking up the game today are entering a far better game than I did when I picked it up. Rewards are vastly easier to get. There's way more content. What they get for free is more than any spender could have purchased with unlimited funds just a few years ago.

If what you want is a good game to play, MCOC is great and has always been great. If you're someone who expects to keep up with the players who do more, spend more, and accomplish more because that's your idea of fair, if you feel like you're just enduring this injustice hoping it changes in the future, stop hoping and find another game. This game is never going to be what you want it to be, and no one is even trying to make it so.

The people who spend in this game are not just buying cool stuff. Whether they realize it or not, they are also supporting all the free to play players in this game. They are being asked to spend thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands) to pay for dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of other players to play for free. They aren't just going to donate those funds to total strangers for nothing. We have to convince them to pay for everyone else. And who decides what's fair for them to get for their money is not the people playing for free. It is ultimately the spenders, and only the spenders, who get to decide what the minimum benefit is necessary for them to part with their cash.

The free to play players who understand that and are willing to let spenders have their spending while they get to play MCOC completely for free for as long as they want to play it have a bright future. The ones that covet what they have and can't accept getting one less trinket in a game they are being handed for free probably don't.
    Wow I have no idea where to begin, but in all honesty this was some impressive piece of writing and I commend you on it, that said I have seen some interesting points that you made and I would like to dispute you on them since it contains some misconception about this game, FTP, P2W, and lots of aspect of that nature that you and lots of players of mcoc seem to have and will always have and will always debate and will always struggle to understand. (Each number corresponds with the same number in the original statement)

1. While yes you can indeed play this game for free, and on a surface level can always play this game without ever spending money, but once you actually inspect some of the content of the game you gonna realize that is not really the most optimal thing in the world specially when it comes to a big factor that lots of FTP, and some P2W folks often think about, Time, unless we are talking about those who spend with reckless abandon and without care, most folks consider the possibility of whether they can avoid spending any type of virtual currency or real currency on things that can be depending on time come to them without spending, and time will play a huge factor in most of this statement, since it is a big factor to whether folks want to keep continue playing this game or not, how long or how fast progression work, whether the grind is slow or fast, whether it is fun or not, and that affects how they spend on the game. You see a big thing that no one seem to understand and I think they will never seem to understand, is that yes this is a “free to play game” but everyone and I mean everyone FTP and P2W included, do in fact play in this constant free to play no matter how long they play or how much they pay, the game will always (can be changed in the future) be free to play, and that is not something to be commended on, perhaps we can commend the game ability to run and still function with an ever changing, expanding, with ups and downs ip, and still survive in this current landscape of change, but that is about it really, specially when you realize that these “nine years of content” that this game supposedly gave us are a dime a dozen with events coming and going, and you being able to count on your hand the amount of stuff you can do in this game. Which speaking of ties back to the start of this first point of this debate, the thing that probably most folks are upset about is the huge disparity that is now being noticed more and more with how folks play bg and aw for a while now, the disparity between folks who spend and those who don’t and the disparity and how the spending is even between those who p2w, and you see how that goes back to you not having to spend, while no one is forcing you, and you can play for free, it sure feels like a slog, and a massive one at that with the handful of game modes that this game offers showing you how it is just not fun to play them if you aren’t willing to go all out on this game, and to me that is a problem, not in the general sense that you having to spend, but spend that much to just be able to stand a chance, and while yes it is one or two game modes, again, this game does not have a lot to it. And while your “Over 95% of everyone who has ever downloaded and played this game paid exactly zero dollars to play it” line should be changed to 100% and it does have some degree of truth to it, it is also stands to truth that while everyone came to this game for free, those who did stay did spend their money on something, whether it was $1 or # any amount you can think of.

2. While I am not the expert on many games, and the few I did get my hands on to play I played for a bit before moving onto other games, so I will focus mostly on mcoc in my writing. Your estimation on time required to climbing progression is accurate, it could be shaved too with paragon being so reachable, but that is in the assumption that you do get good rng luck, since champions in themselves are a gateblock sometimes, and again time in itself is the biggest roadblock this game has, and while all content can be open if one progresses far into main story, you gonna see that not all of them can be completed without grinding the game itself, and that can indeed take years, which is a huge ask to folks who want to play mcoc since the content that they can do are those that they need to grind years to be able to play or enjoy for what a couple of hours at most? That is unless you decided chill out for this game, clear content in a matter of days from starting that it will be rather confusing indeed, a peculiar predicament where you can either waste time or money for what is essentially a handful of modes to do, now the worth of some of the content can be debated, and I am not here to decide how you spend your time or money, but what this game offers at best is so limited, and while you don’t have any major stop points that can’t be solved with a bit of grease, not a lot of roadblocks per say, there is not a lot of paths to choose either. As for the competitive aspect of this game, the road sure is available to anyone and everyone, but gl catching up, I highly doubt you gonna fare well.

3. Again as I am not the expert on most games I will not comment on how they work and will talk exclusively about how mcoc functions by itself. Now for the premium currency and its work, at its core, it's fundamentally a fine currency, perhaps its value is fluctuating at times in my experience as there are other currencies that seem to offer better value than the premium ever could, which makes me wonder why you can’t buy bulks of the other currencies since they tie to offers that seem feasible, specially when premium offers can be a hit or miss, (lots of miss on my end), specially with how progression works and the offers that they give out, it seems like the old model for how units work, is still baked into the system, thus you can’t escape some stuff that can baffle even the most loyal of mcoc fans out, but units works for what it is supposed to do, pricing to attain said units can be debated but ultimately it is set by kabam, and I have no issue with it. Now for your “earning those units” quote, you seem to be misremembering or forgetting how the game works at times that I must call into question about your understanding of the game, while yes you can indeed if you have nothing better to do with your energy be able to obtain about 621 units give or take if you decide to explore contender to uncollected difficulties, and while you can indeed grind for more in arena, the phrasing of “minutes” is not accurate at all specially with escalating battles, and using high rated to low rated champions, with the possibility of having to repeat the grinding the 3x combo again, and arena champs being on an energy timer, the possibility of you earning units, lots of them in a span of month is very doable indeed, and while your numbers are accurate, it is still a grind in arena, one that folks do in fact have to do “all day long” in order to match up those estimated numbers.

4. That is true, perhaps that is just the product and the cause of kabam deciding to rush through progression and item acquiring process, and items do in fact come in more often, and more frequently than they did years ago, altho they are proportionate to the challenge.

5. (This is meant for the end of your written pots more than anything)

The future of the game for F2P is the same as before, honestly there isn’t much change, beside the tipping of progression, and the game making some aspects obsolete and worthless (the entire existence of 1,2,3,4, maybe 5*) and while reaching the top can be less time consuming, and the new players will see a less grindy game than before, it will still in its core be the same mcoc game, flaws and all, perhaps with a tad bit more options to view but not explore.

Marvel contest of champions is a fine game, decent at best, and at worst eh, understanding its core and what it has and what it does offer to everyone, is the key to better the game, iron out the flaws, look at what is there and see it for what it is, and perhaps at the end of it they can make a better game, and while I don’t think folks are expecting to keep up with players nor expecting a massive change, just enough to make the game enjoyable, specially when it comes to modes that seem to tip the scale between players in the form of bg, and while you can say not play this, play other game modes, I ask you, what game modes? And perhaps because folks have been having to comply with this big status quo of bg of either spend and make it far or just slog out that dissatisfaction have been rising, and why not try to satisfy those who did stick and stay for this game (those who didn’t spend and those who spent a bit) instead of making the game seem as pro (big spender) as possible, who does this attract? Who would have fun from this?

And at last we come to the big spender argument, you seem to have some odd fascination with this concept that big spenders support this game, it works both ways my friend for without those who spend less or spend not as much, and those who don’t spend at all you would have a very, very, very, very empty game, and that notion doesn’t seem to even be brought up by you, yes big massive spenders (whales or blue whales) do help this game, by keeping it free? Nah that is up to kabam, sustain it perhaps, help it continue even longer, yes but they aren’t paying for the free to play players at all, that is an absurd concept that I never seen anywhere, what they pay for are the in game virtual items that, en masse, and without a lack of abundance it seems, but they get something non the less, we don’t have to convince them of anything, the allure of the game is up to kabam, why they should buy stuff should go both way between whether they value the item or the offer enough, and kabam offering that lucrative enticing offer to them in the first place, they aren’t paying your rent, or my rent in this game, at all, same as why long term free to play players shouldn’t expect to be rewarded for spending their time, nor lesser spenders should be given a participation gift for giving it their best, ultimately we all decide what we decide, whether it is spending time or money, no one should be entitled to this magnitude of gratitude to things that they did, that supposedly saved kabam as if it was on a life boat without anyone party.

All in all fine written piece, again some interesting arguments here and there but nice one.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Etm34 said:

You need to play more games. One of the biggest mobile games out there, Clash of Clans, for most of its history was not like that. I'm told it is different now, but the reason I quit it a while back was because it in effect had what a game designer would call a "death penalty." You could invest all your time and resources into building up your map, but if a stronger player came along they could destroy it and cause you to have to spend a ton of resources to build it back up. In effect, if you couldn't keep up, you could actually go backwards. So if you didn't spend enough cash and time, at some point it became literally pointless to play.

In MCOC, this is not just unlikely, it is impossible. No one can take anything away from you. Whether you spend zero dollars or a million dollars, whether you play six hours a day or six hours a month, your progress is your own. You can only go up, nothing can push you down. Just this one thing alone makes MCOC a hundred times more F2P friendly than Clash of Clans used to be (as I said, I've been told it is different now, but I wouldn't know: I moved on to Boom Beach which has never had nearly as bad a mechanic).

A lot of the idle work Farmville-like mobile games have *super* oppressive monetization and psychological mechanics. Storm8's games are notorious for that, and they were once among the most popular of this type. Earning currency? Good luck. Keeping up through reasonable gameplay? Oh, that's not happening. Don't even get me started on the exponential event ladders which are designed to explicitly trick players into spending money, and I use the word "trick" here very deliberately.

Mobile games that explicitly focus on relatively normalized PvP do tend to have more level playing grounds for their PvP combat, but they come in two types: wildly successful, and dead. That model of game requires it to be a huge hit to feed the ramjet of its model, or it dies. And most of them are dead.

I haven't played every mobile game out there, but anyone who says all games have what this game does has the burden of proof on them. Saying that without naming these games and precisely how they do all the things MCOC does right is saying nothing at all to me.
    Welp that is probably because mcoc, in it's code, in its nature, in its core, is PVE, no amount of BG is going to change that, and no amount of hopeful wishing that a phantom pvp would come is going to change that, thus what do you have to lose in any PVE game? nothing, not at all, and while I agree mcoc is far better than many other F2P games that I tackled on and off, (not that there were many), that is still not a massive point in which to call victory over other games, granted as I said before, mcoc did survive many changes, many dead marvel games that come and gone, some from kabam themselves.
  • Options
    Twist1298Twist1298 Posts: 65
    smdam38 said:

Just play the game. There’s no obligation to you if you’re just swiping and tapping in a free game.

Are there ads or did you have to pay for the game?
    No.

So what, if ads were there folks would definitely still play especially if ads kept the cost of things really low. People have every right to voice how they feel about the state of the game currently, doesn't matter if they are F2P or not. Take a breather and ease up....
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Etm34 said:

Welp that is probably because mcoc, in it's code, in its nature, in its core, is PVE, no amount of BG is going to change that, and no amount of hopeful wishing that a phantom pvp would come is going to change that, thus what do you have to lose in any PVE game? nothing, not at all, and while I agree mcoc is far better than many other F2P games that I tackled on and off, (not that there were many), that is still not a massive point in which to call victory over other games, granted as I said before, mcoc did survive many changes, many dead marvel games that come and gone, some from kabam themselves.
    This is not a function of the PvE or PvP nature of the game. Some PvP games have death penalties, some don't. Meanwhile some PvE games have death penalties while others don't. For example, many PvE-focused MMOs had gear degradation in raid content. That is an analogous penalty to the Clash of Clans "enemy burns you to the ground" mechanic.

MCOC could have backsliding penalties. Its PvE nature doesn't preclude that. But it chose not to. Mostly because of its avoidance of gear.