**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

The new store is… different

Comments

• Options
    LilMaddogHTLilMaddogHT Posts: 1,166 ★★★★

I don't have the change yet, but your comment is that you hated scrolling from right to left up top, so now you're scrolling from the bottom up to the left? How exactly is that a QoL improvement? Especially if it's resizing everything in order to make it fit and stay as the same row/column size.

I don't have this yet but first thought is if anything, please give us the option to customize the order of the left menu. Let us organize what is at the top and what is at the bottom.

See, that would have taken the QoL concept to the point of being customizable and extremely helpful. But then people would be able to push the units stuff to the bottom and the store wouldn't be shoving things for units in our faces.
    I'm fine with a new thing popping up to the top... But after I have discovered it, let me place the value of it and customize it in the list. Having a great experience should be #1 and doing that leads to things Kabam wants so if there is something that we use less than other, customization helps for such a cause. Hoping we can see such things in a future update.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,053 ★★★★★
    TheGame84 said:

TheGame84 said:

I don’t like it. Stop “fixing” things we don’t ask for and fix the inputs and pre fights in the game.

There are several UI designers. None of them have anything to do with input issues. Redesigning a UI interface isn't "fixing" anything.
    I understand that. Stop hiring people to change stupid things in the game and utilize those funds to actually fix the gameplay.
    You, in fact, do not understand that. Hiring a UI designer doesn't take away from other positions.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,994 ★★★★★
    edited October 2023

We constantly hear the argument that employees can’t do this because they do that. I am not dismissing that by any means. But as a layman I would like to understand it better. It seems like a car mechanic saying they can’t work on carburetors because they work on engines.

Maybe that’s too simplistic. I know there are many on these forums that are in the field of computer science. Can someone help explain why a design coder can’t use those skills and adapt to game play coding?

Think of it as a completely different field. It would be almost the same as letting you work on the game (no offense intended, just trying to illustrate the gap)

Using your example it would be like asking a car mechanic to work on an airplane because they are both vehicles
  • Options
    RuwqiersaRuwqiersa Posts: 693 ★★★
    I like it. You can find whatever you want with one hand. Before it was so frustrating scroll on top from right to left with your whole hand everytime.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★

Literally not the case. In any event, I hated scrolling through the top to get to the Tabs. This way is much easier.

I don't have the change yet, but your comment is that you hated scrolling from right to left up top, so now you're scrolling from the bottom up to the left? How exactly is that a QoL improvement? Especially if it's resizing everything in order to make it fit and stay as the same row/column size.

I don't have this yet but first thought is if anything, please give us the option to customize the order of the left menu. Let us organize what is at the top and what is at the bottom.

See, that would have taken the QoL concept to the point of being customizable and extremely helpful. But then people would be able to push the units stuff to the bottom and the store wouldn't be shoving things for units in our faces.
    It was an annoyance. Not a major issue no, but an annoyance. I had to use my finger to scroll through the top, and it was a bit of a pain. Now I just use my thumb in the normal position it's usually in with the game and select the Store I want.
    First-world problem, sure. It's new. I think people resist any change in general. I just happen to like this one.
  • Options
    Darkness275Darkness275 Posts: 819 ★★★★

First-world problem, sure. It's new. I think people resist any change in general. I just happen to like this one.

Oh this is absolutely why my initial reaction is "I don't like. Burn it down!"

Then I considered exactly what you pointed out, that my thumb would be able to scroll instead - which might actually be more convenient. Don't know because I don't have the new UI yet.

I don't like how it splits certain things up, but that could also be my own limited understanding of it based off the few pictures and videos (no full exploration) I've seen. I would love the ability to move the tabs, but I understand that would probably be a design issue. I don't like how things for units appear to be pushed to the top. It's small but... if an item can be purchased with in-game resources rather than units, that should be the first option. Not the unit sale.
  • Options
    KrakerjacksKrakerjacks Posts: 7
    Just curious. Where exactly is the option to trade in the pieces to create Platinumpool? Does anyone actually review their work before they implement the changes???
  • Options
    Geronimo3124Geronimo3124 Posts: 30
    They spend all this time changing something no one ask for buy mastery load outs are a foreign concept for some reason
  • Options
    Jesusfish97Jesusfish97 Posts: 1
    Where is the Shady Dimension crystal for Platinumpool? Anyone know?
  • Options
    AnmaelAnmael Posts: 70
    Seems a bit more divisive than I thought it would be. I think it is an improvement, personally. More organized.

I guess if I were to offer any advise, you could make all the sub menus visible all the time so you don't need to search the upper level ones (I do like the grouping of alliance stuff, but it is the only menu with a sub menu, so it is a little deceiving).

Also, making the tiles the same size so they don't have weird screen placement like the daily specials/stamps page. Otherwise, I think it is better. I call this a "W..."
  • Options
    AshacekarAshacekar Posts: 1,777 ★★★★
    If it's not different it can't be new
  • Options
    BadahBadah Posts: 245 ★★
    I play the game on a 4,7” phone… so with this layout it’s harder to find the stuff in the store. Guess I have to adapt to it…
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Literally not the case. In any event, I hated scrolling through the top to get to the Tabs. This way is much easier.

It is different though. When our phones are in landscape mode, scrolling vertically is much better. The old UI Was a bit clunky too
  • Options
    Soyheyor123Soyheyor123 Posts: 395 ★★

It was an annoyance. Not a major issue no, but an annoyance. I had to use my finger to scroll through the top, and it was a bit of a pain. Now I just use my thumb in the normal position it's usually in with the game and select the Store I want.
    The sad thing is that the exact opposite happens to me, I only use the two thumbs position when I fight, the rest of the time I usually hold the phone with my left hand and navigate the game with my right thumb and/or index finger. Now I have to move my finger all along the screen to choose a tab or change the position in which I hold my phone. It sucks
  • Options
    doskozdoskoz Posts: 12
    But where are the plat pool crystals
  • Options
    crogscrogs Posts: 764 ★★★

Where is the Shady Dimension crystal for Platinumpool? Anyone know?

No. And I can finally get it. Annoying...
  • Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★

TheGame84 said:

TheGame84 said:

I don’t like it. Stop “fixing” things we don’t ask for and fix the inputs and pre fights in the game.

There are several UI designers. None of them have anything to do with input issues. Redesigning a UI interface isn't "fixing" anything.
    I understand that. Stop hiring people to change stupid things in the game and utilize those funds to actually fix the gameplay.
    You, in fact, do not understand that. Hiring a UI designer doesn't take away from other positions.
    YOU, in fact, do not understand that. Not hiring a useless UI designer to make New War System Meme Tier level changes could provide funds towards things that actually matter, rather than just inconveniencing everyone.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

This is the wix webpage template from 2014 - before they offered mobile templates.
    Well, it is a bit of a step up from the circa 1983 Geoworks inspired interface the stores previously used.
  • Options
    crogscrogs Posts: 764 ★★★
    Also not a fan of combining glory, loyalty and tickets into one category.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,053 ★★★★★

TheGame84 said:

TheGame84 said:

YOU, in fact, do not understand that. Not hiring a useless UI designer to make New War System Meme Tier level changes could provide funds towards things that actually matter, rather than just inconveniencing everyone.
    No.
  • Options

TheGame84 said:

TheGame84 said:

Not hiring useless UI designers means the game can never add new game modes or update any visible game interfaces ever again.

Nobody hired someone just to update the store UI. The UI people did that who were around updating the BG interface and the AW interface and adding QoL features to existing interfaces. You can't just hire someone to do that and then fire them when they are done. If those people aren't around constantly, working on the game, you lose their expertise. It either walks out the door, or just plain gets forgotten.

Properly managing a game development team is a constant dynamic struggle to make sure you balance the work load with the resources. Every time you do anything you involve different expertise from different people, who while they are working on X can't work on Y at the same time. If there's a specific set of skills that you don't need very often, but you do need them, you have to find ways to make efficient use of the people you need to keep around. It is costly to pay people to sit around and do nothing, and it is costly to hire them only when you need them. So you have to be thinking six months down the road, a year, three years, and keep your pipeline of work simultaneously productive and balanced across your team.

The idea that you can just get rid of the UI people because "nobody asked for that" and then hire a bunch of engine people to "fix the game" sounds good on a forum post, but it borders on word salad in the sense that those words might look like they make sense on paper, but they don't actually express an idea that matches any actionable possibility in the real world.
  • Options
    Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 937 ★★★★★
    What’s the rationale with the phased rollout?
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,733 ★★★★★
    Hmm this store change is not showing up for me, should I be worried?
  • Options

We constantly hear the argument that employees can’t do this because they do that. I am not dismissing that by any means. But as a layman I would like to understand it better. It seems like a car mechanic saying they can’t work on carburetors because they work on engines.

Maybe that’s too simplistic. I know there are many on these forums that are in the field of computer science. Can someone help explain why a design coder can’t use those skills and adapt to game play coding?

Most of game development has nothing to do with coding. Car mechanics are trained to repair most or all of the different mechanical parts of a car. But most can't do body work. They can't repair major body damage or paint the car. They can't always repair cracked windshields.

In fact, once you start looking at car mechanics in depth, you start to see they have the same issues that are being discussed with game development. Often in a car repair shop, there is a specific guy or set of guys that can work on air conditioning, because that requires special skills and equipment. Not everyone can do brake repair. There might be only one guy in the shop that can work on transmissions. There's general automotive service, but then there are specialties that one person is unlikely to be good at all of them.

Game development involves a ton of almost completely unrelated skills and experience. There are actual programmers that write code. They generally work on the game engine, but they can also work on things like the toolchains (the software tools that convert the work other developers do into the specific data files the game servers and game client needs to function). There are data/database people who manage, well, the game databases. Designing, implementing, and managing large databases is a completely different skill set from programming. Then there are mechanics system designers. They build stuff like the features of the game engine. A lot of this stuff is done with scripting and other component design that also isn't really programming as such. Then there are UI designers, map designers, mission designers, sound engineers, character designers, visual effects artists, script writers, producers, and a whole bunch of other people we collectively call "game devs" but do totally different things.

Shifting, say, a UI designer to work on game engine issues would be comparable to taking an accountant who uses Excel a lot, and saying hey, you use Excel right? I need help writing a billing system from scratch. Here's C++ for Dummies, read this and get started. Sure, it is possible. But perhaps not likely to work out most of the time.
  • Options
    Darkness275Darkness275 Posts: 819 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Well, it is a bit of a step up from the circa 1983 Geoworks inspired interface the stores previously used.

You bite your tongue. Geoworks was ... wait, nvm I'm thinking of Geocities, carry on.