**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Is Story Content dead?

After exploring Act 8.3, which took about 2-3 days and maybe a total of 10 revives on the final boss, I'm wondering if Story content is heading for the bin.

Despite being VERY easy, quick and with good rewards for the time put in, Act 8.3 felt very much like a side quest rather than Story content.

Here are some of my reasons:

> Short Paths - Any lane in Act 8.3 ends before it even begins. By the time you enter the quest you're already at the boss, that's how fast it went by.
> Pointless Nodes - The nodes say a lot but do very little. I found that it's usually one node that you should pay attention to and the rest you can ignore - so basically a lot of reading only to ignore it because it's irrelevant. Disable the main node and that's it.
> Striker - Strikers being a big part of act 8.3 felt like no one knew what to do with the strikers so they just said, "Screw it. Er, hit the opponent with a striker and here's a Fury buff". Nodes that would otherwise require some sort of out of the box thinking to counter, you just use a striker. It's not even a case of "intercept using a striker" or "punish heavy attacks using a striker". It's just, use a striker.
> Underwhelming boss fights - I can't remember a single boss that needed me to play around their nodes. In most cases you just pay attention to one node and it's a solo.

Act 6 may not be everyone's favourite and it probably gave some folks PTSD, but here's what it did do that in my opinion makes it better than Act 8.3:

> It challenged your roster. Before Battlegrounds, you were sometimes forced to look at your roster and use champions you otherwise wouldn't use. In some cases you even discovered really cool mechanics some champions had. I recall using Sauron for some fights and seeing some of the cool things he could do in niche matchups.
> Act 6 had problem fights, so you had to solve problems.
> It was entertaining, After the first nerf it was more tolerable (to be honest I found the first iteration of Act 6 too brutal - will address this soon). I can still remember lanes, boss fights, using some oddball champions and even earning the rewards felt great because of the relief at the end of the boss fight.

Although I think Act 6 is better, I think Kabam did a complete 180 on anything after Act 6:

> Act 6 was too long in terms of the number of paths in my opinion. For example, I didn't mind fighting Act 6 Mordo, once, twice... but after the fourth time I was sort of done. I did all 10 or so paths, but to me that was Act 6's flaw - too many paths.
> The number of fights was great (10 or so per path I think), the variety of nodes you have to play around was great, and the boss nodes too. It's just that after 4 - 5 paths it's a bit much.

Act 7-8 go in the opposite direction by delivering very short paths (although in anything between 7.1 - 8.2 is cool) that don't challenge your roster or your thought process as a player. You simply do Act 7-8. but with Act 8.3, you do it like you do AQ. A tad more exciting yeah, but you don't really remember doing it.

If Act 8.3 had longer paths (eg, 10 fights per path) to make the 3 paths feel more exciting, utilized Strikers better and was able to introduce straightforward and effective nodes, personally Act 8.3 wouldn't have been so disappointing. I don't even know how the final boss actually works. I just know you have to do 3 things, hope the AI plays ball and you're fine.

And yeah you have Battlegrounds and the new Labyrinth content coming, however I wonder what would happen if Kabam just ended story content with Act 8.4 and focused on main the other game modes better. Normally when new endgame content released, it's released before their are any solid counters. Unless you are super skilled or have lots of units/revives, it'll take some time to get through that content. For example, LOL arrived before we had Aegon or maxed out 5*s. AOL arrived and it was some time before solos that didn't involve Humantorch were a common thing.

Act 8.3 felt like content that arrived too late - everyone already has all of the counters, all ranked up. So... what's there to do? And to be honest, Labyrinth content is usually a test of how many units you have to shell out at first, not really a test of your roster, as most counters only arrive in the game after the content has been released.

To wrap this up, I think it's best that Story content just ends after Act 8.4 so maybe we can get more exciting side quests (like this month's quest) or interesting quests like Grandmaster's Gauntlet, which in my opinion is the best piece of content that tests your roster and skills (if you don't count just using Hercules).

Although I enjoyed the rewards, Act 8.3 felt like a very boring movie. I remember it's called Act 8.3.... and that's about all that I remember of it.

Comments

• Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,149 ★★★★★
    Putting the change from 6 to 3 paths aside, 8.3 was easier than any other chapters I can remember between act 7 and 8. And I find it sad. It really looks like very little effort was put into it.
    Like you said, nodes that don't do anything, path with an identity that can be ignored, it was always the case but never to that level.
    I agree again about bosses. No challenge except maybe for Attuma. I mean look at that Thing boss... Side quest level...

Everyone has its own opinion but I am bit skeptical about the future of act content looking at 8.3
  • Options
    DoomGBDoomGB Posts: 46
    edited October 2023
    ahmynuts said:

1. How did it take you 10 revives to beat the final boss?
    2. Kabam have stated that story content is not endgame content anymore. It should be able to be completed by everyone who gets there.
    3. The change to 3 paths saves so much time and energy and only weeded out most of the most tedious and monotonous paths Kabam comes up with.
    4. Story content will continue as will all other quests (except for variants, RIP lmao)

1 - I couldn't make out which of the 3 icons was which so I kept on triggering the Overcharge. And the AI was dodgy at times.
    2 - It can still be exciting though. It just feels like Arena but with endgame rewards.
    3 - It can be three paths that again, can be exciting.
  • Options
    PseudouberPseudouber Posts: 753 ★★★
    Not at all. We just got some and I enjoy the changes and the faster pace. Just don't rush to do it all right away.
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,537 ★★★★★
    DoomGB said:

ahmynuts said:

2. Kabam have stated that story content is not endgame content anymore. It should be able to be completed by everyone who gets there.
    3. The change to 3 paths saves so much time and energy and only weeded out most of the most tedious and monotonous paths Kabam comes up with.
    4. Story content will continue as will all other quests (except for variants, RIP lmao)

1 - I couldn't make out which of the 3 icons was which so I kept on triggering the Overcharge. And the AI was dodgy at times.
    You need a magnifying glass for this game.
  • Options
    GAMEOVERJamesGAMEOVERJames Posts: 901 ★★★
    That’s what Story quest should look like, bro….
  • Options
    HSS75HSS75 Posts: 1,138 ★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

This is what story content should be from now on. Not an absolute pain to deal with, like (pre nerf) act 6

Maybe in some parts, but it still should be a challenge rather then just swiping through it.
  • Options
    SaltE_Wenis69SaltE_Wenis69 Posts: 1,992 ★★★★

I didn't like the difficulty. Too easy.
    I find the rewards fair.
    Fine by me........

Those stressful fight in varient 1 and varient 2 with 4*s, those needed some hardcore planning.
    Miss that content.

speaking of variants, they should create a harder difficulty of variants/new variants, I really enjoyed playing through them when they dropped and found them fun and not too easy. If they were to ramp up the difficulty and rewards, it would be great for the community.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,994 ★★★★★
    DoomGB said:

ahmynuts said:

2 - It can still be exciting though. It just feels like Arena but with endgame rewards.
    3 - It can be three paths that again, can be exciting.
    1 - Honestly fair i do the same thing sometimes lmaoooo
    For 2 and 3 though I genuinely enjoyed my time with the weapon nodes and stuff so I can't agree
  • Options
    edited October 2023

The creativity and satisfaction from beating hard story content is absolutely dead thanks to everyone who can't handle a challenge.

It's really originally all Kabams fault for having the audacity to try and release Act 7 how it was. The devs were not thinking right with all of that.

If they came out with something more realistic then it wouldn't have been met with the community anger of 10 million exploding sun's which made them turn it into the baby fest that is act 7 now which has made them go back and nerf previous acts so the difficulties make sense.

If the original act 7 was like one step up from act 6 instead of 45 then they wouldn't have had to make all of these story changes and nerfs
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 1,949 ★★★★
    HSS75 said:

EdisonLaw said:

This is what story content should be from now on. Not an absolute pain to deal with, like (pre nerf) act 6

Maybe in some parts, but it still should be a challenge rather then just swiping through it.
    But at least don’t make it a revive fiesta
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,053 ★★★★★
    ahmynuts said:

The creativity and satisfaction from beating hard story content is absolutely dead thanks to everyone who can't handle a challenge.

It's really originally all Kabams fault for having the audacity to try and release Act 7 how it was. The devs were not thinking right with all of that.

If they came out with something more realistic then it wouldn't have been met with the community anger of 10 million exploding sun's which made them turn it into the baby fest that is act 7 now which has made them go back and nerf previous acts so the difficulties make sense.

If the original act 7 was like one step up from act 6 instead of 45 then they wouldn't have had to make all of these story changes and nerfs
    Act 7 was supposed to be even harder than OG act 6. Probably wasn't even going to have the path system they used either. Most likely more than 6 defenders or more than 6 paths.

Act 7 is a direct result from all the players who thought act 6 was too hard and ultimately got it nerfed 3 times. Technically 4 with the availability to bring 4*'s.

It's well documented that most that much of doesn't like or can't handle content harder than what TB difficulty is. That is why Acts 7 and 8 are the way they are.
  • Options
    wheres my chimichonga?
  • Options

ahmynuts said:

Act 7 was supposed to be even harder than OG act 6. Probably wasn't even going to have the path system they used either. Most likely more than 6 defenders or more than 6 paths.

Act 7 is a direct result from all the players who thought act 6 was too hard and ultimately got it nerfed 3 times. Technically 4 with the availability to bring 4*'s.

It's well documented that most that much of doesn't like or can't handle content harder than what TB difficulty is. That is why Acts 7 and 8 are the way they are.
    Right but I'm saying that this is the effect that resulted from the initial cause which was the beta release of OG act 7. If they didn't try to pull what they did I think things would have turned out differently and the entire story wouldn't have had to have been nerfed to this degree
  • Options

The problem is that it takes so long for story content to come out. It doesn't make sense for it to be easy. It's fine if it isn't pre nerf act 6, but it ought to be somewhat daunting to 100%

I think that's the issue. The story is always going to be daunting for someone. If you try to make it daunting for everyone now you're taking about making a piece of content 7* r3 champions and 6* r5 ascended champs well struggle with. And the place for that isn't the story anymore