Why is this NOT a hit? My champ clearly hit the defender.

Comments

• DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,881 ★★★★★
    Not my analysis (and I can’t recall whose it is), but some of this looks like synchronization between what we see and what the game thinks is happening.

@DNA3000 are there more server calls in the current game (perhaps to check for cheats) that might cause what we see on our devices to deviate slightly from what the server *perceives* to be happening? Or is this just a hit box malfunction?

Dr. Zola
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,947 ★★★★★

It's just hitbox fuckery.

Wont last long but I love the succinct description.

• Manup456Manup456 Posts: 891 ★★★★
    Maybe we can blame the server and the game engine for why the inputs and AI are acting ridiculous but what I have leaned in life is when issues come up people blame everything and everyone but them self and the issues don’t get resolved.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 19,238 Guardian
    DrZola said:

Not my analysis (and I can’t recall whose it is), but some of this looks like synchronization between what we see and what the game thinks is happening.

@DNA3000 are there more server calls in the current game (perhaps to check for cheats) that might cause what we see on our devices to deviate slightly from what the server *perceives* to be happening? Or is this just a hit box malfunction?

Dr. Zola

I don’t think so. This feels more like a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing on the client side. Collisions with hit boxes in Unity games are probably not like sprite collisons - I.e. the game isn’t literally seeing if your pixels touch the opponent pixels. It’s done with geometry calculations. And the thing I most suspect here, although this is pure speculation, is the way the game handles timing.

Imagine two light sabers swinging at each other. We know in the real world they would hit each other, but at what exact moment in time does that happen? Now imagine this happens in a game world where everything happens in ticks of a clock. What happens if that collision happens between clock ticks? It could, in a sense, not happen because the game “sees” the light sabers here before the collision and there after the collision but doesn’t understand there’s physics happening on between those moments. And the thing that’s had the most overhauling in recent times is the handling of time, due to the iOS clock bug in Unity that threw off inputs and well timed actions (aka Parry). And we’ve seen sporadic instances of games running on devices with nonstandard frame rates doing funky things. Maybe what we’re seeing here is a collision our eyes see and some parts of those game engine “see”, but other parts of the game engine don’t “see” and that results in an odd malfunction.

This is, as I said, pure speculation, but that’s where I would look if it was me troubleshooting the problem, absent additional clarifying technical information.
  • PT_99PT_99 Posts: 3,921 ★★★★★
    edited October 2023
    PT_99 said:

Kabam did not responded to that 2 video of Tigra getting parried when hitting on block.
    Let's see what happens now.

Almost 3 days passed, I've returned, yet no response, a classic.
    That Tigra block hit parry videos are already forgotten and eating dust.
  • PT_99 said:

PT_99 said:

Kabam did not responded to that 2 video of Tigra getting parried when hitting on block.

you aren't gonna get a quick answer here. This obviously shows a bigger problem which cant be fixed in a one button push.
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 2,600 ★★★★★
    Typhoon said:

This just happened to me after trying to time a heavy during a relic stun. Stun ended early and defender ignored my heavy and sp1 to my face. Kicking myself I wasn't recording, but this was not the first time.

This is just one of the many reasons why we complain so much! 💩 like this makes the game frustrating to play and it shouldn't be

I had this happen in the final war of the season. Almost flawless fight and Longshot somehow launches an SP2 after I’d connected with the first hit of my heavy and it’s an instant KO. Absolute joke. We were ranked 4th in P3 at the time and going for P2. All wars are ridiculously close at that level, so 1 lost AB could be the difference between a P2 & P3 finish. Fix the bloody game! Do you Kabam people actually care about any posts on forums other than the ones that garner a “frightening” warning message for using a naughty word?

Wow. LS somehow slip the second hit of your heavy and throws a special 2. I'd like to see Kabam explain that one!
    Emomike said:

This has been happening forever. It's even better when you try to sp intercept you hit th sp and they throw thier sp mid- dash its like it overrides your sp and you take it straight to the face.

Yup! I've had that happen before too!! It almost as if the AI senses when our finger is closing in on the special attack 😂

But let us try to BAIT the AI special.....be dancing around all damn day 😂
    DrZola said:

@pseudosane any update on this one? I notice it slipping down the list of threads and it’s probably more important than 90%+ of the ones above it.

Dr. Zola

Thank you
    Bugmat78 said:

My champ CMM, clearly hits the defender, but it's not counted as a hit. Defender even lights up from contact, and you can even hear the hit, but it's still not counted as a hit. 🙃 This has happened so many times! Finally able to get some proof.

https://youtu.be/2jwWStKrLqk?si=f_29kRZzIO4YTloO

If you heavy and the special has been initiated your heavy or basic hits basically get phased in preference to the special. Got caught with it far too often in AW. That heavy gets cancelled by a special starting mid-heavy.
    He was stunned when I first made contact though. A special shouldn't cancel that

Don’t know what you all are complaining about… this has already been explained. The AI we are facing just “rolls the dice,.” In these circumstances, the dice came up “ignore all inputs and interactions and wreck the attacker.” Hopefully next time dice comes up “take the hit as normal”

🤣🤣🤣🤣
    PT_99 said:

PT_99 said:

@PT_99 I'd like to see that video
  • Icy000Icy000 Posts: 274 ★★
    looks like this is not a serious issue for kabam
  • Smokely7Smokely7 Posts: 175 ★★
    Along the same hit box lines, I'm wondering if there's been video evidence of the range of the defenders specials. I'll be a dash back away when they release their special and do another dash at the same time they release their special and somehow I'm only blocking the special instead of evading it all together. I assume it's not just me.
  • PT_99PT_99 Posts: 3,921 ★★★★★

PT_99 said:

PT_99 said:

@PT_99 I'd like to see that video
    Search this in forums, "Tigra gets parried when hitting into the block"

Video number 2 is in comments.
  • 4cyke4cyke Posts: 43
    edited October 2023
    couldn't it be AI just got "dex" & "stand your ground" masteries when we were not looking , guys ?

you know , like The Amazing Ingenious ?

Joking aside , this happened to me a few times , as well. alongside ai dexing heavy back to the wall.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,881 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

I don’t think so. This feels more like a left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing on the client side. Collisions with hit boxes in Unity games are probably not like sprite collisons - I.e. the game isn’t literally seeing if your pixels touch the opponent pixels. It’s done with geometry calculations. And the thing I most suspect here, although this is pure speculation, is the way the game handles timing.

Imagine two light sabers swinging at each other. We know in the real world they would hit each other, but at what exact moment in time does that happen? Now imagine this happens in a game world where everything happens in ticks of a clock. What happens if that collision happens between clock ticks? It could, in a sense, not happen because the game “sees” the light sabers here before the collision and there after the collision but doesn’t understand there’s physics happening on between those moments. And the thing that’s had the most overhauling in recent times is the handling of time, due to the iOS clock bug in Unity that threw off inputs and well timed actions (aka Parry). And we’ve seen sporadic instances of games running on devices with nonstandard frame rates doing funky things. Maybe what we’re seeing here is a collision our eyes see and some parts of those game engine “see”, but other parts of the game engine don’t “see” and that results in an odd malfunction.

This is, as I said, pure speculation, but that’s where I would look if it was me troubleshooting the problem, absent additional clarifying technical information.
    Right. That’s what I mean by synchronization, which is likely not the technical term for it. That was how the Unity bug/fix felt a couple years ago—players had ingrained the parry/block muscle memory and suddenly found it didn’t work any longer. That timing element (especially in a game that relies on fairly precise timing) threw everyone.

I’m beginning to think something like this is the culprit behind many of the mechanical issues that seem to plague BGs periodically. One example I encountered yesterday was punishing specials—specifically Chavez, who managed to dex my super fast swipe in from close up to punish her Sp1 but couldn’t evade my swipe in from further away on a subsequent Sp1. Just one example, but things like that make me question the reliability of the way the game *sees* the fight.

Dr. Zola
This discussion has been closed.