Necro run by the unskilled

phillgreenphillgreen Member Posts: 3,969 ★★★★★
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
After reading a few necro threads, mostly by people with skill and the patience to actually read nodes rather than clicking them, saying “urrghhh” then just winging it like I do I thought there was no way I’m going there.

Then I read the necro run posted by @DNA3000 whose writing style I enjoy and started to wonder if I was capable.

@Abspain101 posted his run and I thought, “to hell with it, I'm going for it"

Mainly though, I just wanted a R3 before my boy because I'm a jerk.

Decided that a 6r1/1 unduped Aegon wasn’t going to cut it so two lvl ups later and I have a 6r4 ascended and sig 180 aegon

First ascended champ even though I had enough for two, when the boy would ask why I wont use them my standard answer is “one day I’ll need it for something, then ill use it”

The day had come…

I started messing around on the roblin path but no matter how well I played, I copped the damage from some random timer so back to titania it is.

My team:

Aegon 6r4
Proxima (obvious)
Heimdall (again)
6r4 Juggs, not sure why but apparently I need him for something
6r2 Angela, yep Angela, you know how she has that synergy with heim that regens 15% of missing health? That’s not it? Turns out, It’s not the synergy at all, . I realized after getting exactly no percent regen. But, too late to back out now since I haven’t started yet.

Day one. (Monday, I think)

Didn’t have much luck at first but a bunch of restarts later I got a good run at it, so I thought. 18 revives later and 520 on the combo counter and she was done. Nothing special about it or me, just annoying, I'm not sure to whom that refers, probably Titania.

Tuesday.

Aarkus was also annoying, just wanted to hold until SP3, 16 revives and done but the combo was up to 820 so Aegon was getting fun.

Weird ambush guy (Don’t blame me, I’m reading my own notes here) was good fun. I’m not well known as someone who reads nodes, im getting old so I just don’t have the time. As a result of that I was pretty much punching a constantly indestructible defender until something funky happened and he just fell over. Combo count 890.

wednesday

Omega sentinel, Now we’re talking. 7 revives here, Im an idiot who kept forgetting that the combo shield from Aegon is only useful for the amount of time on the timer. Whoud have thunk it?

Normally this would be a pain, but 999 aegon cares not for nodes, neither do I, that’s why we get along.

Air walker: 11 revives. Despite knowing that he would regen like an idiot the pretty green numbers were pretty and I saw them a lot. When I stopped being an idiot, heavy spamming in the corner, hold sp3 for when I need it, take hits and hit back harder. Now I understand what face roll means. Also bought my first batch of revives in quite some time. I’ll have 20 please.

Thursday

Cap Britain: 9 revives, didn’t actually play that bad despite the count. MLLLL combos seemed to work, managed a 180 hit combo which wasn’t terrible. Used the same strategy as Air walker, big yellow numbers are also pretty.

Wiccan: 6 revives. Had the Heimdall synergy fail a couple of times for some reason. I tried to always push him to SP2 and block it because I don’t use wiccan and hardly fight them without HT so this isn’t the place to learn the evade strategy. Wiccan was very polite, I was able to throw two SP3 while having him trapped in the corner with his own SP3, some big damage in that run. Managed 195 final combo to end the fight.

Another Deadpool type guy, reading the nodes was actually useful. 52 second kill.

Psychoman, this one was fun. First run took off a bunch but I got stooged by needing to block a hit while old mate was stunned after my sp3, while holding his own sp3. Was running out of time so I got impatient and ended up using 4 revives. Aegon rewards the impatient, did I mention we were friends?

Popped more free crystals, finally the RNG went my way and I snagged 4 revives from 40 or 50 crystals.

Guardian. Used 4 revives here with a big first run, close to half health. I’d been using my phone until now, decided to use my other device except my dexes were terrible, it’s the sticky screens fault, not mine because I don’t suck.

Valkyrie, cost me 7. Couldn’t work out what the hitting into block was about. Sometimes I was hitting 10k into the block and not triggering unblockable, others were going unblockable straight away and screwing me up. Never mind. Its done now. Bought another 20 revives, because why not.

Red guardian: 1 revive. Easy wins. Shouldve been a solo.

Got bored, went back to arena for a while but all I do is curse that Im not critting, people are blocking my attacks and its generally hard work. Geez, I gotta wake up.

Onto the next fight tomorrow, maybe.

Comments

• Rayven5220Rayven5220 Member Posts: 2,090 ★★★★★
    Good luck in the rest of your run! I hope I get to see weird ambush guy too, hahaha

I'm starting my run today after work, it should be a blast!
  • BallerBenBallerBen Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2023
    I actually read it all🤣 Nice!
  • G-Hun-GearG-Hun-Gear Member Posts: 1,447 ★★★★
    Congrats, man! And thanks for contributing to the Road to the Crypt… :)

My only gripe with this post: Stories like these make me confident in my own upcoming run… BUT I am sure I am now way too confident and will suffer a new dimension of screw up! 😂
  • phillgreenphillgreen Member Posts: 3,969 ★★★★★
    edited December 2023
    After 10 of Tennessee's finest I'm thinking sub 100 on the easy path is doable by anyone with a modicum of skill but not content creator good.

Advice I gave to my son, revive farm like an idiot and grind arena for two or 3 weeks, then go ham. All the excess revives in stash you use to ramp up Aegon, then park up and keep grinding arena for safety revives if you're not sure of your stash durability.

I have 24000 units ground out that I don't use for anything, I'm trying hard to not to want to explore it.

Currently autofighting EQ with some of the 48 full refills I got from free crystals, then I'm revive farming until the nerf.

Every time I touch the ipad screen the boy looks at me, refer to JD rule above.

What’s a JD?
    edited December 2023
    Jack Daniels, Whiskey.
    Ah, got it… 😅
  • BlueSmirnBlueSmirn Member Posts: 11
    Great write up.

I am certainly a mid class player with a decent roster (rarely push for GC in BG as the last matches are win 1, lose 1)
    I did completion yesterday and was going to do a write up also but yours is so similar to mine (besides JD... more a vodka man myself) that it makes sense just to add to yours :-)

I also used a 6R4 Ascended Aegon Sigs 181 (the extra one turned it past 72%)
    My team had Nick fury instead of Angela for the extra attack boost and Wiccan 6R3 instead of Jugs
    My deaths were very similar to yours except for Aegon's ramp up.
    I did several practice matches against Titania to feel comfortable with her so I had less deaths there and had 999 before Aarkus was down (with 19 deaths for the 2 matches)

I was worried that 6R4 would mean less time before you got rooted but I normally died before then, so it made no difference.

So just over a 100 revives in total. (for L1 revives I healed Aegon, using the potions from 4hr crystals, to around 40%)
    I also could not read GM's prompts, they disappeared so quickly, so it was a mash fest, hoping for the best.

I can totally re-iterate what the OP says, farm potions while you can. I had 160 in total. Have spare units as an extra safety net. (The rewards for completion and the Bonus Road to the Crypt rewards will be a lot more than a few Gifting crystals)
    Go in knowing you can do it... Take away the pressure, don't worry about the revives, you have enough.

It is not difficult once you have the revives.

My run went about the same, finished it this morning after I got way too tired last night before cap Sam Wilson.

Went in with
    6r5 Aegon
    Proxima
    Heimdall
    6r4 Juggs
    6r4 Ascended Odin

There was next to no skill or planning involved in my run, I just threw revives at titania, came out with over 800 combo, finished building at aarkus and smashed my way through.

I think I wounded the GM twice in total...

Pulled a 7* 2-3 gem and have a grand total of zero 7* skill champs, pulled my most wanted 7* in the pool in Odin, duped my 7* venom and pulled a shiny new Thor relic for my new 7r2 Odin!

All in all, screw skill, just smash everything with Aegon and call it a day! Haha
  • o_oo_o Member Posts: 835 ★★★★
    Congrats!
    Would love to see The Unskilled as an in-game title 🙃
    edited December 2023

My run went about the same, finished it this morning after I got way too tired last night before cap Sam Wilson.

Went in with
    6r5 Aegon
    Proxima
    Heimdall
    6r4 Juggs
    6r4 Ascended Odin

There was next to no skill or planning involved in my run, I just threw revives at titania, came out with over 800 combo, finished building at aarkus and smashed my way through.

Pulled a 7* 2-3 gem and have a grand total of zero 7* skill champs, pulled my most wanted 7* in the pool in Odin, duped my 7* venom and pulled a shiny new Thor relic for my new 7r2 Odin!

All in all, screw skill, just smash everything with Aegon and call it a day! Haha

Congrats!

Just one question: After pulling the skill 2->3 gem, why didn’t you go for Skill with the 7* class crystals?

Is it not possible to chose the crystals’ class AFTER opening the gem-crystal?

Went in with
    6r5 Aegon
    Proxima
    Heimdall
    6r4 Juggs
    6r4 Ascended Odin

Congrats!

Just one question: After pulling the skill 2->3 gem, why didn’t you go for Skill with the 7* class crystals?

Is it not possible to chose the crystals’ class AFTER opening the gem-crystal?
    I didn't go with any skill gems due to the fact I'm really not very excited about any of the skill champs in the current pool.

I'm not in a big rush to become valiant, and by the time I do push for it, I will hopefully have a half decent skill 7* to use it on.

I did pull Odin with my first crystal, so I did think about going with skill, but figured screw it and went with another cosmic in hopes of either duping Odin or venom, or maybe pulling somebody cool like Gorr.

The only skill champ I would have really been decently happy with is Mantis, so I figured screw it, I'll save the gem.
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★

You don’t read nodes but you read posts by DNA? I don’t think patience is your problem.

Epic :)
  • OakenshieldOakenshield Member Posts: 2,087 ★★★★
    Posts like this one plus the one from DNA make me feel like I’m overthinking my completion run and should just get on with it. Also heartening to see there are at least some other community members out there at both my age range and approximate skill level.

Thanks @phillgreen
    Actually @phillgreen I have question for you: Very roughly how much in game time did your completion run take? Want to have some parameters to enter into an effective negotiation with my wife.
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★

Posts like this one plus the one from DNA make me feel like I’m overthinking my completion run and should just get on with it. Also heartening to see there are at least some other community members out there at both my age range and approximate skill level.

Thanks @phillgreen

Me too, but my reasoning is that once I get into it there's no turning back. I even have 8k units on hand.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian

Actually @phillgreen I have question for you: Very roughly how much in game time did your completion run take? Want to have some parameters to enter into an effective negotiation with my wife.

Outside of the Grandmaster the longest fight I took was less than half an hour. One half hour fight a day still gets you to the finish line before the January Road to the Crypt cut off date.
    DNA3000 said:

Outside of the Grandmaster the longest fight I took was less than half an hour. One half hour fight a day still gets you to the finish line before the January Road to the Crypt cut off date.
    Thanks @DNA3000 . I’m probably going to power through a few fights a day so as to not drag it out too much. However that depends on the negotiation with the wife on holiday chores.

My goal is to have it wrapped up before banquet hits.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Thanks @DNA3000 . I’m probably going to power through a few fights a day so as to not drag it out too much. However that depends on the negotiation with the wife on holiday chores.

1. The wife has to sleep some time.

2. Who's to say you don't need that long in the bathroom?

3. I swear honey, the line for gas at Costco was super, super long today.
  • SaltE_Wenis69SaltE_Wenis69 Member Posts: 1,993 ★★★★
    edited December 2023
    Question for anyone who did 100%, do I stick with Kate, and shuri as my main attackers or should I ascend aegon? Is there any path that doesn't work too well with kate specifically?
    edited December 2023

I didn't time it but I reckon 20 minutes per fight is plenty.

I didn't time it but I reckon 20 minutes per fight is plenty.

Thanks!
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

1. The wife has to sleep some time.

2. Who's to say you don't need that long in the bathroom?

3. I swear honey, the line for gas at Costco was super, super long today.
    Good ones @DNA3000 ! Mine:

1. No, you should absolutely go to your book club this week. You’ve earned it! And you should go in person vs. virtual - think how long it has been since you have seen them all!
    2. I was walking the dog. No, I have no idea what that 4 legged creature was that was walking around our house while I was gone.
    3. I’m going out for the afternoon for some holiday shopping. Yes, I know I’ve done that online every year since you have known me but the pandemic is over and we need to support our local vendors. Yes, I’m bringing my tablet with me but that’s so I can do price checks.
    Buy gym equipment, tell your wife you need 20 minutes between sets to maximise ATP reuptake and do the fights then.

The boy got annoyed and bored with grinding and decided to just go for it.

He is 39 revives in to valkyrie. Used 7 for titania.

Is it wrong that I hope he roadblocks hard?

I made a point of mentioning it doesnt matter how well he does, I still did it first. Yes, I'm a jerk.