Options

Underwhelmed by OG Hulk. What am I missing?

altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,306 ★★★★
After hearing players call him a top 7-star Science champion, I managed to pull him as a 7-star.

While he can do impressive damage with his build to 15-20 fury then SP2 then SP1 loop, I find his damage loop to easily be limited by common matchups.

Limitations I have encountered:
- Since the heavy activates Gamma Rage, in matchups where you have to heavy (ie. Rintrah, Protection nodes, etc) you can never really build to 15-20 Furies. This seems to limit his maximum output.
- Debuff shruggers limit his overall damage output.
- Matchups that affect your power bar also limit the ability to achieve the Hulk lock (even a basic G2099 encounter will prevent you from getting into your spots).
- Utility wise he has the Nick Fury thing of increased damage at low health, but the only other benefit is the relatively rare Degen resistance (compared to NF's unblockable and evade and miss countering). So ultimately that doesn't seem to be all that handy.

Yes, I get that stun locks and huge damage are great things, but as it stands, I feel like he is the worst 7-star Hulk, as there are so many restrictions to when he can be good.

Am I missing something about OG Hulk, and why players seem to want to R3 him over most other science champions, let alone the other Hulks?

Comments

• Options
    LpooLpoo Posts: 2,215 ★★★★★
    edited December 2023
    I disagree with you outside of that first point. It would’ve been nice to have a “Rage activates when you dash back and hold block for x seconds” since there are more than a couple mystics or matchups that require getting heavied
  • Options
    Sceptilemaniac2Sceptilemaniac2 Posts: 241 ★★★
    Probably the opponent.
  • Options
    JT_SupremeJT_Supreme Posts: 889 ★★★★
    What’s the best way to stun lock, especially for bgs? I picked him from the selector and r3d him and he do really smash even tho idk how to play him right yet.
  • Options
    KlippKlipp Posts: 195 ★★
    Also sp3 gives a huge physical vulnerability debuff for massive damage after that plus if you're ramps not done you get 15 furies. To someone else's point there is alot my r2 can't finish with a stun lock in bg.
  • Options
    FeuerschwerFeuerschwer Posts: 317 ★★
    I think the usual rotation is enter gamma Rage, throw L2, and then wallop them and start chaining L1s for the stunlock; L2 gets you trauma debuffs for extra burst damage that benefits from your physical vulnerabilities.
  • Options
    TyphoonTyphoon Posts: 1,754 ★★★★★
    altavista said:

Limitations I have encountered:
    - Since the heavy activates Gamma Rage, in matchups where you have to heavy (ie. Rintrah, Protection nodes, etc) you can never really build to 15-20 Furies. This seems to limit his maximum output.

Which is why you build up to 15 furies and/or SP3 before you heavy so you can go to town.
  • Options
    mbracembrace Posts: 840 ★★★
    I’m glad I went Titania instead. She’s great in every mode.
  • Options
    SecondSkrillerSecondSkriller Posts: 1,002 ★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

1. Just delay the heavy to after you’ve ramped up lol. Yeah I agree though, it can be annoying
    2. So…literally every science champ? Scorp, Titania, Silk, Ham, etc are all limited by debuff shrugger. Don’t use him there
    3. You can prevent G2099 from power draining you and you can still get nice damage. But yes, like most champs in the game power manipulation does limit him

As someone pointed out, he has poison immunity and some decent utility, but he pretty much shuts down everything with stun lock + massive damage. He’s a great onslaught counter and a great counter to pretty much everyone who can be stun locked

Titania is a top tier Kingpin counter.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

1. Just delay the heavy to after you’ve ramped up lol. Yeah I agree though, it can be annoying
    2. So…literally every science champ? Scorp, Titania, Silk, Ham, etc are all limited by debuff shrugger. Don’t use him there
    3. You can prevent G2099 from power draining you and you can still get nice damage. But yes, like most champs in the game power manipulation does limit him

As someone pointed out, he has poison immunity and some decent utility, but he pretty much shuts down everything with stun lock + massive damage. He’s a great onslaught counter and a great counter to pretty much everyone who can be stun locked

Unfortunately she is a top tier counter for many skills 😉
    Class disadvantage checks out 😂
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 1,980 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

Titania is the exception, but debuff shruggers still aren’t her ideal matchups
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 1,980 ★★★★★
    BeastDad said:

mbrace said:

I've got them both, plus Titania is sig 40 and I still R3'd hulk. Titania has more utility, but Hulk is in a league of his own.

I think they’re in pretty similar leagues. I’d put them both in S-tier sciences + Titania can do a lot of unconventional matchups like Att and Korg
  • Options
    RockSlyde said:

"Fights over"

When I used to play MMOs, we had a saying: death is the best debuff.
  • Options
    bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,151 ★★★
    BeastDad said:

Stun duration is what you are missing.

At r3 there is very little I cannot kill with one stun loop.

This...you don't even have to use his SP2..get them into a corner and SP1/heavy away
  • Options
    bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,151 ★★★
    mbrace said:

She's great if you can reach a SP3 then it's almost game over. Hulk is more efficient since you don't necessarily have to go to his SP3. You can just loop your SP1s in most scenarios.
  • Options
    NoahSansmanNoahSansman Posts: 28

It's because the Burst damage loop fits perfectly against Battlegrounds-sized opponents.

You're right that his utility is very low, and there are a lot of paths and quest nodes he isn't much good for. He's not a champion you're going to take questing very much. But his target area is BGs, and he does that very well.

As long as (as you said) you avoid lining him up against opponents that you have to keep knocking down, that is. Given that most debuff-shrug champs are Skill, I think they were never going to be on Hulk's to-do list, anyway.

Bro he's extremely broken in questing, he just has stun loops for days
  • Options
    LokxLokx Posts: 326 ★★★
    I mean he is science which is a natural class disadvantage to skill champs who have debuff shrugs so it makes sense as to why they would be impactful. I agree with power manipulation. Wish he was immune to it. Maybe a synergy with maestro that lets hulk be immune would be nice.
  • Options
    MØNK3YMØNK3Y Posts: 10
    Are you doing his loop correct?

• Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,865 ★★★★★
    Could be that you’re not OG enough for OG Hulk
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,243 ★★★★
    He’s an amazing damage dealer, especially as a 7 star. Can also stun lock.
  • Options
    Nameless_IWNameless_IW Posts: 981 ★★★★
    I own a rank2 OG Hulk and i absolutely love him but there's only 2 things that make me uneasy about his most recent buff few months ago.

1. He should have been buff Immunity! because just like Titania, he just doesn't need help.

or

2. That whatever criteria he has for degen resistance is soooooOOOOOO redundant and should have just make him completely Degen Immune, or degen immune at 50% HP or 90% degen effects resistance.

I believe any of these 2 changes, would have made him a lot more viable for more matches.