Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Amazing, revive farming has been gone for two days and I have already lost all will to play

13»

Comments

• Options
    Longshot_33Longshot_33 Posts: 355 ★★★

DNA3000 said:

You could just get good at the game and not need to revive through everything.

What a ridiculous comment. Necro is literally designed to kill you after a time so you have to revive. Speaking of which..why does this mechanic even need to exist? Really now

It’s this sort of bs anti-player stuff that the op has every right to feel annoyed about
    It is not an “anti-player” mechanic. It is a difficulty mechanic. Timers and timer-like mechanics exist all over the place: a lot of the high tier content I participated in MMOs had such mechanics. Complete raid before this happens or it fails. Such mechanics force players to not just beat the content, but do so with a certain minimum efficiency.

I’ve seen such mechanics since I first played Space Invaders in 1978. I have literally no idea why people complain about such mechanics like it’s some strange thing Kabam decided to inflict on MCOC players out of thin air.
    How can you say its not an anti-player mechanic when it literally exists to only negatively impact the player? If nothing else you should at least accept that the mechanic is by its very nature anti-player. And why are comparing MCOC to other games and MMOs? Are we saying that... if these other games had this badly designed mechanic which punishes players then we should have it too? Lets just get to the bottom of the issue, it exists to kill players and generate more turnover. Yet more greed.

Would it really be such an issue if they just didn't put mechanics in that did that? What would all of a sudden happen that would be so bad?
    So are the timers in BGs, AQ and AW anti-player?
    They are there as a prevention measure due to it being a pvp mode. If i enter the fight and press pause and left my phone or forgot about it that would stop others entering the fight. Completely different feature
  • Options
    altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,295 ★★★★

DNA3000 said:

What a ridiculous comment. Necro is literally designed to kill you after a time so you have to revive. Speaking of which..why does this mechanic even need to exist? Really now

It’s this sort of bs anti-player stuff that the op has every right to feel annoyed about
    It is not an “anti-player” mechanic. It is a difficulty mechanic. Timers and timer-like mechanics exist all over the place: a lot of the high tier content I participated in MMOs had such mechanics. Complete raid before this happens or it fails. Such mechanics force players to not just beat the content, but do so with a certain minimum efficiency.

I’ve seen such mechanics since I first played Space Invaders in 1978. I have literally no idea why people complain about such mechanics like it’s some strange thing Kabam decided to inflict on MCOC players out of thin air.
    How can you say its not an anti-player mechanic when it literally exists to only negatively impact the player? If nothing else you should at least accept that the mechanic is by its very nature anti-player. And why are comparing MCOC to other games and MMOs? Are we saying that... if these other games had this badly designed mechanic which punishes players then we should have it too? Lets just get to the bottom of the issue, it exists to kill players and generate more turnover. Yet more greed.

Would it really be such an issue if they just didn't put mechanics in that did that? What would all of a sudden happen that would be so bad?
    Champions getting KO'd is anti-player. Having a crystal with some bad champions in it is anti-player. By your criteria, these are anti-player mechanics because they exist to only negatively impact the player.

All these, including Necropolis timers, are simply mechanics in the game, to make it a game, and to make it challenging and rewarding.

Overall, challenging and rewarding are very subjective, so that might make the mechanic feel 'anti-player' to you, as opposed to a mechanic you can engage with and overcome.

To your last question, what would happen if they didn't put this mechanic in?
    1. Players would complete/explored Necropolis simply by putting in marathon sessions, be done quickly, and feel like they have nothing to do (something that took Kabam a decent amount of time to develop as everest content).
    2. Players would finish a single 3 hour fight against, let's say Diablo. Because there is no time limit, Diablo keeps regenerating, and players can typically keep their health up, they can keep fighting Diablo for hours. Instead of giving up and coming back with a different counter, the player just persists with their champion.

There are other reasons one could list as well, but the best example I could give is: Without certain mechanics, Necropolis becomes ROL - boring, feels like a slog, and something players are not excited to do.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,087 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

They are there as a prevention measure due to it being a pvp mode. If i enter the fight and press pause and left my phone or forgot about it that would stop others entering the fight. Completely different feature
    It's exactly the same. AQ isn't PVP. Aw isn't technically PVP.

Great job trying to twist it.
  • Options
    KingSkeletorKingSkeletor Posts: 116

FALSE ! Someone did an itemless Necropolis run ONLY using a R2 or R3 unduped Wong with no synergies (Credits to Normax)
    Just because someone did it doesn't mean its to be expected from everyone. Just because MSD did an itemless run do you think everyone else did? You cannot site minority cases as an argument for the majority.
    I don't know if MSD did a itemless Necropolis run... If he did, I might check it out
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,832 ★★★★★

FALSE ! Someone did an itemless Necropolis run ONLY using a R2 or R3 unduped Wong with no synergies (Credits to Normax)
    Just because someone did it doesn't mean its to be expected from everyone. Just because MSD did an itemless run do you think everyone else did? You cannot site minority cases as an argument for the majority.
    I don't know if MSD did a itemless Necropolis run... If he did, I might check it out
    That crypt reward leech...
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Of course its PVP, don't be ridiculous. You play alongside other players against other players champs and their masteries. Fact of the matter is that you cant spend 1 hour in a fight so there's a feature to prevent it happening, even if by mistake.
  • Options
    altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

Champions getting KO'd is anti-player. Having a crystal with some bad champions in it is anti-player. By your criteria, these are anti-player mechanics because they exist to only negatively impact the player.

All these, including Necropolis timers, are simply mechanics in the game, to make it a game, and to make it challenging and rewarding.

Overall, challenging and rewarding are very subjective, so that might make the mechanic feel 'anti-player' to you, as opposed to a mechanic you can engage with and overcome.

1. Players would complete/explored Necropolis simply by putting in marathon sessions, be done quickly, and feel like they have nothing to do (something that took Kabam a decent amount of time to develop as everest content).
    2. Players would finish a single 3 hour fight against, let's say Diablo. Because there is no time limit, Diablo keeps regenerating, and players can typically keep their health up, they can keep fighting Diablo for hours. Instead of giving up and coming back with a different counter, the player just persists with their champion.

There are other reasons one could list as well, but the best example I could give is: Without certain mechanics, Necropolis becomes ROL - boring, feels like a slog, and something players are not excited to do.
    That happened anyway. Players put in marathon sessions etc so it didn't prevent any of that.
    Its clearly anti-player and there is no other excuse for it.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,268 ★★★★★
    Designing content that isn't easily won is anti-player? Welp, I've read it all.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Of course its PVP, don't be ridiculous. You play alongside other players against other players champs and their masteries. Fact of the matter is that you cant spend 1 hour in a fight so there's a feature to prevent it happening, even if by mistake.
    PvP= Player vs Player. BGs is the closest thing we have to true PvP.

AW isn't PvP because you're not actually playing against the summoner of the defender. You're playing against A.I.

AW and AQ fight timers will time you out resulting in loss of half your remaining life above 3%.

BG timers end the match but don't cost you loss of health.

Timers for AoL, LoL and Necro don't kill you. It just makes the fight harder. In Necro, the defender just goes unblockable in addition to the root from the first timer.
  • Options

altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

That happened anyway. Players put in marathon sessions etc so it didn't prevent any of that.
    You probably think a defender having nodes is Anti-player.
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,348 ★★★★

altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

Personally think we should have superior ironman with no nodes as final boss of act 8
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,704 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

How can you say its not an anti-player mechanic when it literally exists to only negatively impact the player?
    I guess because I'm old enough to have come from a generation of game player that actually used to relish real difficulty.

I grew up playing video games in arcades, where you had to actually pay a quarter just to play at all. The original pay to play scheme. And if you were not good at it, your quarter would last you about two minutes. Adjusted for inflation, we were spending a dollar a play in those early days. We had to play just to learn the game. To practice the game. To get good at it.

I moved on to PC home games where you had to buy games almost sight unseen and just figure them out. No internet, no discussion groups, just you and the game and a manual translated from its original Klingon.

Before moving to mobile games, I spend the 00s playing MMOs. In one game I played the top tier end game content was updated, and about forty of us all moved onto a single server shard to discuss and test strategies for beating it. We spent a week on it, then went back to our home servers to try to get it done. The team I led on my server was only the third group to beat it, and it took us two weeks of trial and error to get it done.

I remember that time I got the all time high score in Moon Patrol that stood until a power outage knocked it off the high score board. I remember the day I beat Ultima IV, the day I learned how to rocket jump in Doom, the first time Triumph took down the Hamidon in City of Heroes, the first time I ever soloed the Borg incursion in STO, the day I cleared RoL in MCOC.

Those things only matter to me, they are only memorable, because they were difficult. Because the game created an environment where success was not guaranteed, where failure was not just an option, it was the most likely option. They were all accomplishments. The difficulty in those games did not exist to negatively impact me as a player. They were what made the game worth playing. That feeling of playing for an hour on a single quarter, that feeling of being one of the first anywhere in the world to beat a thing, or just the feeling of doing something that is genuinely difficult at the time and joining the ranks of those who persevered to do it, those are irreplaceable feelings.

One day, hopefully not soon, this game will be gone. All this stuff will be gone. All the things that time and the money acquired will be gone, and the only thing left will be memories and experiences. They are the only permanent things this game gives anyone. I've been there on the last day of a few games. I was there on crunch day for The Matrix Online. All I have is the memory of probably being one of the first players to coin the phrase "chicklet combat" to describe how melee originally worked. I've been playing this game for over eight years. I've literally fought hundreds of thousands of fights. I don't even remember a tenth of a percent of any of them. But I'm going to remember the Collector. I'm going to remember Ice Phoenix. Unblockable Guillotine, the 6.2 Champion, the Grandmaster, the Summer of Pain, the Grandmaster's Gauntlet, that Valkyrie in Necropolis.

None of those things negatively impacted me, they gave me something. They gave me something to beat. I am not the best player in this game by a wide margin, but I eventually figured out ways to beat them all, and that's why I play the game. Not because I win, but because the game challenges me to find ways to win.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur. Maybe to see challenge as a plus and not a minus, you have to come from the generation of game players that used to get tangled up in their own phones.
  • Options
    Rayven5220Rayven5220 Posts: 1,502 ★★★★

DNA3000 said:

Dude.... it's been proven that it can be played around. What's the issue?

It's not like you just hit some certain amount of charges, combo meter or some time limit and you just die.
  • Options

altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

So, your response to my arguments about challenge and rewarding experiences is just to cherry pick one point, point out that it is not 100% effective, and think that disproves the whole argument?

Clearly you are just deadset on your 'anti-player' opinion, so I wish you good luck on your future endeavors.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,268 ★★★★★
    altavista said:

altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

So, your response to my arguments about challenge and rewarding experiences is just to cherry pick one point, point out that it is not 100% effective, and think that disproves the whole argument?

Clearly you are just deadset on your 'anti-player' opinion, so I wish you good luck on your future endeavors.
    It's anti-player to wish someone luck.
    (Sorry, the joke was there.)
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur. Maybe to see challenge as a plus and not a minus, you have to come from the generation of game players that used to get tangled up in their own phones.

There is just something so satisfying about the spiral phone cords. I kinda miss them, in a world where the only cords are boring linear usb cords that stop working if you so much as bend them.

• Options

altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

Personally think we should have superior ironman with no nodes as final boss of act 8
    So you don't want anyone to finish act 8? That boss would be insane.